Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We tank in the two seasons Luke has coached and he is a bad coach? Blame Jim, Mitch, Magic and Pelinka.

wrong. we are not tanking this year, so there is fact against you

Yes we are, the FO loaded the roster with crap in hopes to have cap space next season. They did nothing to try to compete. This year doesn’t matter, all they care about is next year. Our roster is half bigs with no 3 point shooters.

I really doubt you have any idea on what tanking means.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

If we aren't trying to compete then we might as well lose games and give Boston another chance at a legit star in the draft, if the FO did not create a roster to give us a chance to compete then I have now lost all hope, but that is unlikely we have talent that can win, the problem is that we have a clown coach.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject:

There's no excuse for losing to the Suns. Especially since they are on an away, back to back.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

I still don't get why the team does not pass.
I hope Luke implements a 5 pass minimum before shooting one of these days.
Do they swing the ball to the weak side?

On defense, it seemed to be effective when they trapped hard on Booker. Try it earlier next time before Booker gets hot?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I still don't get why the team does not pass.
I hope Luke implements a 5 pass minimum before shooting one of these days.
Do they swing the ball to the weak side?

On defense, it seemed to be effective when they trapped hard on Booker. Try it earlier next time before Booker gets hot?

Not just that, but nobody takes a dribble. Nothing but a good 30mins to an hour every practice of fluid passing, cutting, screens and making reads. We do that for a week and watch how we come out next time.
lts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject:

i can't imagine why give Blue minutes rather than Hart, Hart has got decent defense at least, Blue has nothing, he is never NBA level player.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject:

5 pass minimum looks real tacky when the only place you're throwing it is around the perimeter while not driving to the basket at all or bringing the action inside.

Messina speaks about this problem in some offenses, and Luke's offense comes to mind immediately.

9:30 is where he is talking about that kind of problem and what drills/offense he uses to prevent it but also his philosophy. The "problem" as he describes it, sounds essentially like exactly how our team plays.. and it becomes that much more noticeable.

His full explanation leading up to that point is 8:04 onward, but you give the guy just 5 minutes of listen from 8 minutes to 13 minutes and you see him breaking down the proper way to utilize spacing, not just that he brought to his own offense, but the kind of stuff he does with the Spurs as and why and you see the distance between a coach like him and a coach like Walton when it comes to scheme.

As he says, it's very elementary, but it's something that not enough teams pay attention to.. and he is correct. When you see it spelled out in the way he does it, you wish that this was the kind of attention our offense was getting.

Then there's the famous 5 Point Spurs Drill

Give this video a watch too. THIS is what our players should be doing when it comes to our offense to prevent that kind of thing from happening.

When you listen to how Messina describes spacing and how to use it, and you watch what he brings up as an issue many teams do, and you watch what he drills, you understand why teams and the Spurs that do it, are so effective, and why we look terrible in our scheme by comparison.

Yes... I really freaking wish Messina was our head coach but the point remains.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject:

Watching McVay turning that Rams Offense in one Offseason into a Powerhouse, that "inexperienced" argument doesn't add up.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:
Watching McVay turning that Rams Offense in one Offseason into a Powerhouse, that "inexperienced" argument doesn't add up.

Football is more built on the film room, it's a bit more of a principle, as well as ferocious hunger. Mcvay prides himself on stealing other teams plays, love it - and you can see and hear his hunger when he speaks. Luke is below par X-O wise, and sounds asleep when he talks.
Improving to being the best X-O team in the league is all want-to, it's completely achievable with hard work from the coach ---- while the players improving has way more limiting factors.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject:

Pope was by no means “The Pope” in Detroit last year, don’t get me wrong, but why did he look so much better playing under Stan Van last year than he does this year playing under Heavy Tongue?

Really missing Jerry West right now. He made decisions not based on hype.

Hiring Walton was a hype hire. Drafting Ball was a hype drafting.

It’s like our ownership and front office are perpetually shortsighted and shallow. We look good on paper and have big names, but the depth of our basketball grit has been off keyster for a long time now.

Luke Walton seems to be just another, in a long line of, sexy, superficial acquisitions.

To me, Walton, similar to D’Angelo Russell, Magic, D’Antoni, Scott, and Ball, is like the prettiest girl in school at the time who really is nothing more than eye candy, a dumb blonde with nothing substantial to offer other than a rather empty “perceived” reputation.

I like Ball by the way, Magic too, but I’m just calling a spade a spade here. The Lakers’ overall basketball acumen, as it relates to roster and team construction, has been bad for a while. With Jerry West, even in down years, you at least felt safe and secure knowing a guy with real vision was behind the wheel.

Haven’t felt that way in a very longtime, honestly.

This organization has a difficult time simply selecting a coach that fits team needs. I mean, how hard is that? West knew when to go young (Riley) and knew when to go old (Harris, even Hubie Brown in Memphis). He was by no means infallible, but, damn, he, at the very least, seemed to know how to avoid the dumb blonde.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject:

Another (bleep) season but no silver lining of a top pick.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Pope was by no means “The Pope” in Detroit last year, don’t get me wrong, but why did he look so much better playing under Stan Van last year than he does this year playing under Heavy Tongue?

Really missing Jerry West right now. He made decisions not based on hype.

Hiring Walton was a hype hire. Drafting Ball was a hype drafting.

It’s like our ownership and front office are perpetually shortsighted and shallow. We look good on paper and have big names, but the depth of our basketball grit has been off keyster for a long time now.

Luke Walton seems to be just another, in a long line of, sexy, superficial acquisitions.

To me, Walton, similar to D’Angelo Russell, Magic, D’Antoni, Scott, and Ball, is like the prettiest girl in school at the time who really is nothing more than eye candy, a dumb blonde with nothing substantial to offer other than a rather empty “perceived” reputation.

I like Ball by the way, Magic too, but I’m just calling a spade a spade here. The Lakers’ overall basketball acumen, as it relates to roster and team construction, has been bad for a while. With Jerry West, even in down years, you at least felt safe and secure knowing a guy with real vision was behind the wheel.

Haven’t felt that way in a very longtime, honestly.

This organization has a difficult time simply selecting a coach that fits team needs. I mean, how hard is that? West knew when to go young (Riley) and knew when to go old (Harris, even Hubie Brown in Memphis). He was by no means infallible, but, damn, he, at the very least, seemed to know how to avoid the dumb blonde.

Feel exactly the same way.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Every front office in the league should be fired for not identifying and going after Brad Stevens and Steve Kerr. With the exception of the Heat & the Spurs. And we let the Pringles man go? Imagine how fun DLO would have under that dude. No defense, no problem. Just score more than the other team.

I still have hope for Luke though.

I give Phil a lot of (bleep) as an exec, but he did try to sign Kerr.

And would have forced him to run the triangle wholesale.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Luke has been better on rotations until that weird lineup he ran with three guards. Lakers guards are too small to play SF except for Brewer, who I think is listed as G/F. Maybe KCP can against some teams. I much preferred in the second half of the three guard rotation of Ball/KCP/Clarkson. If the team is about winning, he really should go with that and occasionally sit Ball when he is non-existant like the previous two games.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:

So because of McVay, no coach can ever fail because of inexperience ever again?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakerboy wrote:

It's not like the Rams already had one of the best defenses to be their base.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakerboy wrote:

No, what i am saying is: when you know your X's and O's like McVay, inexperience doesn't matter. A good scheme is a good scheme, no matter if being told by a 30 year old or by a 60 year old.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Luke has been better on rotations until that weird lineup he ran with three guards. Lakers guards are too small to play SF except for Brewer, who I think is listed as G/F. Maybe KCP can against some teams. I much preferred in the second half of the three guard rotation of Ball/KCP/Clarkson. If the team is about winning, he really should go with that and occasionally sit Ball when he is non-existant like the previous two games.

at this point ill take Deng playing against SFs than having Blue/JC/Ennis matching up against Tj Warren
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Every front office in the league should be fired for not identifying and going after Brad Stevens and Steve Kerr. With the exception of the Heat & the Spurs. And we let the Pringles man go? Imagine how fun DLO would have under that dude. No defense, no problem. Just score more than the other team.

I still have hope for Luke though.

I give Phil a lot of (bleep) as an exec, but he did try to sign Kerr.

And would have forced him to run the triangle wholesale.

Yeah, Kerr probably heard what Phil was selling and said no thanks, but he was Phil's #1 option. Phil did draft well though, even though Porzingis could have been dumb luck. But there were plenty of people left like Winslow, who had S.A. Smith crying about he next day. Don't see him crying over Porzingis now. What a clown.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:

He probably figured we were playing the Suns.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We tank in the two seasons Luke has coached and he is a bad coach? Blame Jim, Mitch, Magic and Pelinka.

wrong. we are not tanking this year, so there is fact against you

Yes we are, the FO loaded the roster with crap in hopes to have cap space next season. They did nothing to try to compete. This year doesn’t matter, all they care about is next year. Our roster is half bigs with no 3 point shooters.

I really doubt you have any idea on what tanking means.

I disagree with VLF on this completely.
Tanking was not even close to what they were thinking.

They added a starting level shooting guard in KCP.
They traded for a starting level, one time all-star C.

This team will likely win 10 more games than last year's team.
No way this was a tank job.

However by looking for 1 year only FAs Magic and Pelinka limited what they could bring in. It may be worth it, because you rather punt than invest in bad contracts like Deng/Mosgov.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I was talking to a scout the other day, and he wasn't exactly impressed with Luke's X's & O's acumen, FWIW.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I was talking to a scout the other day, and he wasn't exactly impressed with Luke's X's & O's acumen, FWIW.

It shows on the court too. Luke lacks the technical skills. He needs to get himself a Tex Winter or Ron Adams.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

it shows on the court.
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

It shows on the court too. Luke lacks the technical skills. He needs to get himself a Tex Winter or Ron Adams.

I was all for Luke hire but looks like he is dumb enough to not even hire good vet assistant coaches like Ron Adams or Wade Phillip's

It's just a frat house right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 387 of 818
Jump to: