Can KG opt out after '07?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Minnesota does this why exactly?

If the bidding opens on KG there are teams in the East with better offers than Odom and Kwame. There will be enough hell to pay in Minny if and when they decide to ship out KG. They aren't going to take Odom and Kwame--and no KG can't force it. If crazy Artest can't force where he goes, KG can't. Most GMs have a pair and don't concede to their players demands when trading them.

Garnett could have control over where he goes by telling the team trading for him that he will opt out after 2007. Other teams will not offer more than the Lakers if they know they are renting him for 1 year.

What makes you think he won't like where he gets traded to? Sure, if they trade him to an awful team that has to gut its roster to get KG. But any team trading for KG would take this into consideration before making a bid. If the team he goes to has a shot at contending, why bolt?

Quote:
If Garnett wants to come to LA he could make it happen.

Maybe. I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Quote:
And it is more realistic to think that a veteran who has already made his money would be willing to accept a little less to come to LA,
certainly easier to believe than Bosh, Wade, Carmelo or LeBron.

I'll grant you that point.

Quote:
It could also be the reason that Kupchak is so steadfast in his 2007 plan,

One of the reasons, yes.

Quote:
and why Kobe and KG practiced in the summer together.

They trained together, yes. And? They know each other, are friends, KG has a summer house here. That doesn't equal KG will opt out to come here.

Quote:
Either that or it's just more pipe. Just like everything else, its cool to think about, its still a long shot, but KG does have some leverage.

Sure, KG has some leverage. But it will come down to who the suitors are and what their offers are and what they'd have left after getting KG. The best compromise between Minny's needs and KG's needs is probably what gets done. I don't think that compromise is L.A.

I'd love to be wrong about that. More than anything. So I hope I get put in my place. But I'm naturally skeptical...
dadamookie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

LakersGround.net should replace Mitch K. as GM of the Lakers.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm not so sure losing Mihm and Odom for KG would be that bad either. KG managed to get the Wolves to the WCF with no center. We have Kwame and Bynum at least.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
RG73 wrote:

If the bidding opens on KG there are teams in the East with better offers than Odom and Kwame. There will be enough hell to pay in Minny if and when they decide to ship out KG. They aren't going to take Odom and Kwame--and no KG can't force it. If crazy Artest can't force where he goes, KG can't. Most GMs have a pair and don't concede to their players demands when trading them.

Garnett could have control over where he goes by telling the team trading for him that he will opt out after 2007. Other teams will not offer more than the Lakers if they know they are renting him for 1 year.

What makes you think he won't like where he gets traded to? Sure, if they trade him to an awful team that has to gut its roster to get KG. But any team trading for KG would take this into consideration before making a bid. If the team he goes to has a shot at contending, why bolt?

Quote:

Quote:
And it is more realistic to think that a veteran who has already made his money would be willing to accept a little less to come to LA,

Quote:

One of the reasons, yes.

Quote:

They trained together, yes. And? They know each other, are friends, KG has a summer house here. That doesn't equal KG will opt out to come here.

Quote:
Either that or it's just more pipe. Just like everything else, its cool to think about, its still a long shot, but KG does have some leverage.

Sure, KG has some leverage. But it will come down to who the suitors are and what their offers are and what they'd have left after getting KG. The best compromise between Minny's needs and KG's needs is probably what gets done. I don't think that compromise is L.A.

I'd love to be wrong about that. More than anything. So I hope I get put in my place. But I'm naturally skeptical...
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I believe it is possible, but KG will be 31 at that point. I'm hoping for a trade prior to 2007.
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
I believe it is possible, but KG will be 31 at that point. I'm hoping for a trade prior to 2007.

That is the only drwaback for this trade but look at Alcindor, is he past 30 KG is healthy for five more years.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
RG73 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

One of the reasons, yes.

Quote:

Quote:

I think you just agreed with every point I made.
1 KG has leverage and could use it to come to LA if he wants to.
2 The Lakers could offer him a very attractive team based on KG Kobe and Bynum, with Phil as the coach and all of the benefits of living in LA and playing for the Lakers, a franchise that has proven to be committed to winning rings.
3 KG and Kobe appear to be friendly and their games are quite complimentary to one another.
4 Its up to KG, and no one has any idea what he'll choose to do.

I'm not betting any farm, but I do have my fingers crossed.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I really would like a trade deadline move. They might not win it all this season, but next season they would be top contenders if they don't give up too much. If it's Odom, Kwame and draft picks, I would pull the trigger. I would like Kobe to have as many chances as possible to win Championships.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Dear Mr. Kevin McHale,

Please trade me to the Lakers, or else I will opt out and leave you with nothing.

Sincerely,

Kevin Garnett

See how easy it is, Kevin? Like falling off a log.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK LA IS THE PLACE, AND THE ONLY PLACE, KG WANTS TO PLAY???

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THAT ODOM IS THE BEST MINNY CAN GET FOR KG?

WHY AM I TYPING IN ALL CAPS?
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I still haven't read an answer to the question in the title of this thread. Does anyone know if the person who posted this insider article knew what they were talking about RE: KG's contract and when he can opt out???
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

If KG ever forced a trade to LA, I just hope that the Lakers would hold back on Bynum.

Unless a 27 year old (or younger) elite bigman was coming in, I wouldn't deal Bynum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I think a trade might work if Lamar goes to N.Y. for an ending contract going to Minny.
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Wait, so he can opt out after the 06/07 season (i.e., summer 07 FA) or after the 07/08 season?

This isn't actually too crazy. If he opts out he will be eligible for a maximum contract starting at ~18-19 mill (projecting max salary forward a couple years) with 1.5 mill raises each year. So over 07/08 and 08/09 he will lose ~7 million total, but will get an additional 3 years at more than 20 mill each, which is probably more than he could get as an extension onto his current contract or as a FA in summer 09 when he will be 33 yrs old. Plus he get's to play with whoever he wants at 30 yrs old.

Now, whether you want to pay KG 20-25 mill per year in 2010 for a KG who is 33-36 years old, well, that is a different question. but from KG's standpoint this actually makes some sense. Of course the lakers won't have 19 million in cap space unless they get rid of odom, but who will? KG would have to know that someone was going to pay him the max or close to it, or just use this as leverage to force a trade.

I seriously doubt KG could, or would, force a trade until this summer at the earliest, and probably not until summer 07 when he could (?) just opt out anyway. KG would have lots of leverage - very analogous to the shaq situation.

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't happen until the summer.
But Minny isn't gonna do any real damage with their new roster. Right now their second best player is FA Marcus Banks and he's now looking at a full MLE this summer.
The only reason Ainge probably made that trade to Minny was a desperate attempt to somehow foil the Lakers plan. Too F'in bad crybabies.

KG is even extra pissed off at McFrankenstein because of his quitting speech in the locker room last month.

They are completely cap screwed until 2010. Jaric and Griffin aren't even playing right now. Blount and Davis are overpaid trash. Hudson, Hassell, and Madsen are all overpaid trash.
They are horrifically weak on the frontline. We have Odom and Kwame and a pick or two for them (that's as good as they're gonna get).

For all you naysayers who think that some other team can trade $20 mil. in quality players, draft picks, and still have enough talent/cap room to compete for a title(the reason KG would want to stay there), YOU'RE HIGH.

Next Year (or sooner):
Mihm/Bynum
KG/Turiaf/Cook
Kobe/Walton/Green
Sasha/Wafer
Smush/McKie

Following Year:
Bynum/Douthit LOL
KG/Turiaf
Lebron or Bosh/Green
Kobe/?
Wafer/Sasha

We can't make a deadline trade this year (unless it actually is for KG) because we need Kwame and Odom for the summer trade.
brandnew
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Kobe, LeBron, KG, and a 20 year old Bynum would be a disaster. There's only one ball.

I'd much rather just have Hinrich, Kobe, Odom, and Bynum in '07, and a couple guys like Nene and Magloire as well. OR save that money, and in '08, go after Okafor, Howard, Brand, or O'neal for the PF spot.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

So how much would the Lakers have to offer Lebron with Kobe and KG on the roster already? Not much. We will never see a Lebron/Kobe tandum, unless its in the Olympics. Perhaps is Kobe and Lebron hit it off this summer and think they were made to play with each other, Lebron would take that flight to the West Coast, but don't count on it.
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

uhhh no. If you trade odom and kwame for KG then there is no cap room for lebron. I don't know why i'm even talking about this, it's so ridiculous.

total pipe, that just wont die.

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
II Cleva wrote:
Did you really need a seperate thread for this?

Which do you prefer?

Two 20 page threads - Or one 40 page one

Come on, now!!! Give people some credit wolf.

It clearly made it to 100+ pages over the summer.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: