Should Mitch Kupchak Be Fired At Season's End?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Mitch Kupchak Be Fired At End Of This Season
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 42 ]
No
78%
 78%  [ 152 ]
Total Votes : 194

Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
LakerLanny props to you for making this poll. You have some guts sinced Mitch is some sort of demigod around here for some reason. Mitch is the perfect yes man, as I can picture him cleaning the spagetti off Jim Buss's bib. Mitch knows the cap but he has zero charisma and to recruit in 2016 selling "LA" lifestyle to millenials is not enough.

FIRE MITCH

Typical post by a poster who has absolutely no idea what is going on. Do you honestly think that Mitch was behind the LA lifestyle approach? No reason to go on if you do.

Geez, VLF defending the FO what a surprise.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
LakerLanny props to you for making this poll. You have some guts sinced Mitch is some sort of demigod around here for some reason. Mitch is the perfect yes man, as I can picture him cleaning the spagetti off Jim Buss's bib. Mitch knows the cap but he has zero charisma and to recruit in 2016 selling "LA" lifestyle to millenials is not enough.

FIRE MITCH

Typical post by a poster who has absolutely no idea what is going on. Do you honestly think that Mitch was behind the LA lifestyle approach? No reason to go on if you do.

Geez, VLF defending the FO what a surprise.

You do realize that Jeanie and Tim Harris and the other business people are part of the front office, don't you? As I said, too many have no idea what is going on.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
shnxx wrote:
If he is replaced, I hope they try a non-NBA guy for a change, or at least a non-ex player.
yes, and next time I go to the hospital, I think I'll have a non-medical guy do my surgery.

Make sure you get a 2nd opinion from one of the LG doctors first. I also get my financial and legal advice here.

And apparently your education as well.

Well played Hector, well played!

I like your style.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I think people forget how long a rebuild actually takes, especially when trying to float a KFT contract in the middle of it.

It is SUCH a different era in NBA than when the good Dr. and Logo were running the team. Back then we just had to write a bigger check than anyone else, easy to build stacked teams. It is has put such unreasonable expectation's on West and the rest of the front office.

Welcome to reality for those who are wanting Mitch gone, this is what a rebuild looks like in modern NBA. Firing Kupchak would set this franchise back an additional 5 years minimum. Would be a horrible move. If you wanted to can Kupchak it needed to be 3 years ago. Not after you forced him through BScott and the KFT. That is just pathetic imho.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

To the original poster...depends on who actually made the decision to hire Mike Brown; hire D'Antoni; trade the farm for Nash; overpay Kobe; go after Aldridge. These to me are very suspect moves. Now who drafted the players from the past two years? I see the picks were good picks including talent in the late rounds.

I don't know who decided what, but to make a proper decision you would need to know who ultimately did the good moves and the bad ones.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
To the original poster...depends on who actually made the decision to hire Mike Brown; hire D'Antoni; trade the farm for Nash; overpay Kobe; go after Aldridge. These to me are very suspect moves. Now who drafted the players from the past two years? I see the picks were good picks including talent in the late rounds.

I don't know who decided what, but to make a proper decision you would need to know who ultimately did the good moves and the bad ones.

I really dont know but On LG any bad move is Jim Buss call and any solid move is Mitch.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Boldarblood wrote:
I think people forget how long a rebuild actually takes, especially when trying to float a KFT contract in the middle of it.

It is SUCH a different era in NBA than when the good Dr. and Logo were running the team. Back then we just had to write a bigger check than anyone else, easy to build stacked teams. It is has put such unreasonable expectation's on West and the rest of the front office.

Welcome to reality for those who are wanting Mitch gone, this is what a rebuild looks like in modern NBA. Firing Kupchak would set this franchise back an additional 5 years minimum. Would be a horrible move. If you wanted to can Kupchak it needed to be 3 years ago. Not after you forced him through BScott and the KFT. That is just pathetic imho.

Firing Mitch may put this franchise in a hole that it may never climb out of. How many GM's in the history of this game have proven capable of putting a championship roster together? The likelihood that we land another one anytime soon is bleak. The grass isn't always greener on the other side especially in this case because I doubt there are any unemployed GMs with championship pedigree.

Mitch is doing a great job and it's difficult for me to understand why anyone would think otherwise. the only logical explanation is that you're not thinking before you speak. When I look back at every decision Mitch (and the front office) has made it seems like the correct move even in hindsight.

Btw anybody that thinks we use all of this salary cap space this season is in for disappointment. The front office has a clear plan IMO and that's to keep cap space available for a superstar that can take us to the next level. Durant is the only guy this season and possibly whiteside or Howard as complimentary pieces. The rest of the space will be reserved for next summer when Westbrook is available.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is the only person up in the FO that I trust.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

No.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

Firing Mitch may put this franchise in a hole that it may never climb out of.

That is not only incorrect, but overly dramatic and frankly a weak opinion. The Lakers won titles pre-Mitch and they will win titles post-Mitch. Trust me on this.

PICKnPOP wrote:

How many GM's in the history of this game have proven capable of putting a championship roster together? The likelihood that we land another one anytime soon is bleak. The grass isn't always greener on the other side especially in this case because I doubt there are any unemployed GMs with championship pedigree.

No, the grass isn't always greener when you make a change. But sometimes it is, sometimes it is so green that you roll around in it with glee on your way to a championship parade.

I guess what I am saying is don't fear change, it is not only inevitable but often it is good. Mitch seems tired, slow to act and somewhat disconnected at present in my eyes at least, to suggest a change to a more energetic option is certainly a reasonable point to debate in my view.

PICKnPOP wrote:

Mitch is doing a great job and it's difficult for me to understand why anyone would think otherwise. the only logical explanation is that you're not thinking before you speak.

When I look back at every decision Mitch (and the front office) has made it seems like the correct move even in hindsight.

Really it is difficult for you to understand? I assume you aren't dimwitted so tell me if these three numbers mean anything to you:

27, 21, 17

If they do, I am not sure why it would be "difficult to understand" it should be completely and blatantly obvious to anyone with any common sense.

You don't see any mistakes in hindsight? Really? Hindsight of course is 20/20 but there are plenty to point out, if you really want to know what they are I can lay them out for you but aren't most of them already obvious?

PICKnPOP wrote:

Btw anybody that thinks we use all of this salary cap space this season is in for disappointment. The front office has a clear plan IMO and that's to keep cap space available for a superstar that can take us to the next level.

Durant is the only guy this season and possibly whiteside or Howard as complimentary pieces. The rest of the space will be reserved for next summer when Westbrook is available.

I am not sure who the "anybody" is who you are referencing in that comment as I have seen no one suggest that. But considering Mitch's last big free agent idea was to try and hand a five year max contract to Carmelo Anthony, I think it is probably wise to hope their "clear plan" you reference above is a prudent one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I guess the answer is a dominating no.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I change my vote if Byron stays. I can't put my faith behind a FO that keeps Byron (bleep) Scott after this past year.

I'll give it time for the situation to resolve before getting my pitchfork out though.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject:

I think I have to change my vote.

One week after KFT's end and Byron wasn't fired
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

I still think that Mitch was absolutely not in favor of Kobe's extension but of course, had to abide by his owner's wishes. Up until then, he adroitly traded for CP3 (veto) and made moves that at the time, were widely supported (Howard/Nash).

Post Kobe's extension, he was really handcuffed cap-wise in building a competitive team.

I think a lot of recent decisions were made above his pay grade (Kobe's extension, Byron's hiring).

Yes, we can quibble about what players he could have signed given the cap impacts, but I certainly don't fault him given the above-his-pay-grade choices that were made.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

Mitch was put in a tough position. He had no say in Kobe's extension. Jeanie used him as a cash cow. No way does Pop give Kobe that type of money with all those injuries if he was the coach or GM.

All the critics talk about Kobe's narcissism which I think is fair, but the Lakers front office deserves just as much blame for allowing it. The last 3 seasons isn't Mitch fault. He did everything he could to appease Jeanie and Jim.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Mitch was put in a tough position. He had no say in Kobe's extension. Jeanie used him as a cash cow. No way does Pop give Kobe that type of money with all those injuries if he was the coach or GM.

All the critics talk about Kobe's narcissism which I think is fair, but the Lakers front office deserves just as much blame for allowing it. The last 3 seasons isn't Mitch fault. He did everything he could to appease Jeanie and Jim.

Dang yo, even after Kobe's retired, kicking the man while he's down?

My point was just that the Kobe extension was beyond Mitch's control. No need to point out "Kobe's narcissism"
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject:

Yeah I'd say it's a pretty wide margin - NO Mitch should not be fired.

I think most people understand the decision whether or not to keep Byron Scott is on the Buss family, not Mitch.
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
Mitch is the only person up in the FO that I trust.

This. He's a solid B drafter and an A+ tradesmith. He might even be a better drafter but he's had few high picks and rookie unfriendly coaches (Phil, Byron) to hurt it. I wish he were more analytically open but I don't think he's against it either. I hope they bring in a GM in training to learn under him but who will embrace anayltics more (maybe West is? His last name/lineage certainly gives him a chance in this name-driven ownership group).
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

Maybe this comes down to younger Lakers fan vs older Lakers fan when it comes to Mitch. I'm just about 40 and have seen his great works over the year. In my opinion, Other than Spurs and Pat Riley successfully assembled LeBron-DWade-Bosh super team, our F.O. Has been one of the best in the past decade or 2.
Just curiosity, how many of you wanting to fire Mitch are over 35?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

My point was just that the Kobe extension was beyond Mitch's control. No need to point out "Kobe's narcissism"

How's that? Mitch and Jim are the ones that negotiated the price, which is what everyone had a problem with.

Mitch is the same person that gave Walton a 6 year deal, Metta a 5 year deal, Young a 4 year deal. He is inclined to hand out bad contracts. He also seems inclined to let good talent walk, but that is beside the point. I'm not sure you can simply pass the buck on that Kobe contract. Player negotiation has never been one of Mitch's strong points.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

How's that? Mitch and Jim are the ones that negotiated the price, which is what everyone had a problem with.

Mitch is the same person that gave Walton a 6 year deal, Metta a 5 year deal, Young a 4 year deal. He is inclined to hand out bad contracts. He also seems inclined to let good talent walk, but that is beside the point. I'm not sure you can simply pass the buck on that Kobe contract. Player negotiation has never been one of Mitch's strong points.

Read his recent interviews and there was an article I posted that showed how relieved he was that Kobe retired.

I really believe it was above his pay grade when it came to Kobe's extension.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

That isn't the case. The FO gave Kobe several salary options and ideas on what they could do with the resulting cap space, and Kobe picked which one he wanted. There was no negotiation, the Buss family had decided Kobe would be extended and left the details up to Kobe.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

That isn't the case. The FO gave Kobe several salary options and ideas on what they could do with the resulting cap space, and Kobe picked which one he wanted. There was no negotiation, the Buss family had decided Kobe would be extended and left the details up to Kobe.

That's even worse...

That's actually a lot worse.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

That is what happened, the only input from Mitch was coming up with ideas for the cap space.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

I really dont know but On LG any bad move is Jim Buss call and any solid move is Mitch.

That's the way I care to view it... Yeah.

Cut Jimmy out of the equation and we'll have less bad moves to complain about.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14
Jump to: