Should Mitch Kupchak Be Fired At Season's End?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Mitch Kupchak Be Fired At End Of This Season
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 42 ]
No
78%
 78%  [ 152 ]
Total Votes : 194

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
He is "evaluating" the coach after a 6 month living nightmare after the season ends?

You couldn't figure that out any time in the last 6 months while the other teams snap up the best coaching candidates now?

To me, Mitch is completely low energy and asleep at the wheel. We need a decisive head of basketball operations who can make it happen in a Pat Riley style mode.

I honestly don't think Mitch is evaluating Scott. That decision process is not in his hands IMO, and if it was, I don't think Scott lasts through the all star break.

The low energy stuff is just not something I care to get into. Mitch makes moves where he can, is careful, and does very well at it. The impetus to do anything more comes from the family dynamic. Riley has full carte blanche. Mitch has the warring Buss clan.

Fair enough. I always appreciate your perspective even if I don't always agree with it because I know we both want the same thing in the end.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
He is "evaluating" the coach after a 6 month living nightmare after the season ends?

You couldn't figure that out any time in the last 6 months while the other teams snap up the best coaching candidates now?

To me, Mitch is completely low energy and asleep at the wheel. We need a decisive head of basketball operations who can make it happen in a Pat Riley style mode.

I honestly don't think Mitch is evaluating Scott. That decision process is not in his hands IMO, and if it was, I don't think Scott lasts through the all star break.

The low energy stuff is just not something I care to get into. Mitch makes moves where he can, is careful, and does very well at it. The impetus to do anything more comes from the family dynamic. Riley has full carte blanche. Mitch has the warring Buss clan.

Fair enough. I always appreciate your perspective even if I don't always agree with it because I know we both want the same thing in the end.

Thanks and back at ya
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject:

Mitch apparently is of the opinion that Scott didn't have a roster to work with but said as much before the season that it was a playoff team as constructed. That in of itself...should be grounds to evaluate Mitchell's competence!
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
Mitch apparently is of the opinion that Scott didn't have a roster to work with but said as much before the season that it was a playoff team as constructed. That in of itself...should be grounds to evaluate Mitchell's competence!

Kobe was the worst starter in the league for the first five weeks(29% shooting), and shot 38% for the rest of the season(12-7 onward). Mitch and most of us were still clinging to the idea Kobe could score 20 per game and shoot over 40%. And then there was the further decline of Hibbert, who may have played his last full NBA season. Frankly, it was fair to expect more production for a combined $40.5 million.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:

The answer is somewhere between. He didn't actually believe this was a playoff team barring some fountain of youth miracle. BUT it was a far more competitive roster than what it played like.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:

I think there are several arguments being made that are flying past each other.

1. if one is arguing that Mitch is getting senile and completely is unable to gauge whether Byron and the team is bad, I disagree.

2. the other argument that I tend to rely on is that Mitch is the gifted bureaucrat who will not break the wishes (and he can't) of his bosses (Buss family). In other words, he is virtually constrained by decisions that are likely beyond his pay grade (Byron, Kobe, etc.).
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Ye, just fire everybody when thing doesn't go right....then, eventually, there will be no one wants to work with us.
TheWhiteFlame24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Should Mitch Kupchak Be Fired At Season's End?

LakerLanny wrote:
I hear all the Byron talk, in my mind Mitch Kupchak has just as much or more responsibility for where the team is at.

Which is currently 16-63.

A simple poll, yes or no and you can comment if you want.

I agree with you 100%
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject:

I am a supporter of Mitch and I just bump into this 2015 article. Then I realize the issue is bigger than who is the GM or coach.

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Owner-Joe-Lacob-rebuilt-Warriors-with-Silicon-6311704.php

In short, I hope Mitch and Luke get more support from the franchise which needs a structural renovation since the last years of Dr. Buss.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject:

I forgot who it was, but the GM said back in the 96 draft process, he had talked to Jerry West and had no clue West was interested in Kobe Bryant. Mitch Kupchak is West's pupil. So some were bothered that Mitch said he would evaluate Scott. Do you really think Mitch would come out and say Byron will be canned, Luke is our target? No, you don't and shouldn't expect for him to say it. But he did it. So based on how swiftly things went with Luke, can we all agree the decision to fire Byron was already made awhile ago? You guys need to take what Mitch says with a grain of salt and a chill pill. Heck, I wouldn't want to know every move my GM is going to make. That would mean we have a bad GM with no poker face.
LakerLuke
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Absolutely not
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I forgot who it was, but the GM said back in the 96 draft process, he had talked to Jerry West and had no clue West was interested in Kobe Bryant. Mitch Kupchak is West's pupil. So some were bothered that Mitch said he would evaluate Scott. Do you really think Mitch would come out and say Byron will be canned, Luke is our target? No, you don't and shouldn't expect for him to say it. But he did it. So based on how swiftly things went with Luke, can we all agree the decision to fire Byron was already made awhile ago? You guys need to take what Mitch says with a grain of salt and a chill pill. Heck, I wouldn't want to know every move my GM is going to make. That would mean we have a bad GM with no poker face.

This ^^
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

This ^^

Absolutely. 20 years later, Mitch/Jim/FO were waiting for Luke, and they got Luke pretty fast once they moved. So fast that there's no way they weren't working this all out before Scott's firing. They simply chose not to talk about it until they made their move.

Makes a lot of the complaints in this thread look silly.

And no, Mitch should still not be fired.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14
Jump to: