Michael Jordan finally speaks on Kobe's 81!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
smoothCbutla wrote:
Jordan wasn't guarding Kobe that game

D*mn straight he wasn't (42 points after all). I always said that his defense was overrated.

Let's not forget that Jordan was about 40 when that game took place. And to say that Jordan's defense was overrated (at least in his prime) borders on ludicrous.
Teamscrub
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
I always said that his defense was overrated.
Just never type again.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

At least Jordan gave the props.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
smoothCbutla wrote:

D*mn straight he wasn't (42 points after all). I always said that his defense was overrated.

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
NoHarmNoFoul
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

It's typical Jordan -- barely complimenting, the underlying intent trying to remind people how great he used to be, yada yada.

Just like how at Pippen's jersey retirement, he pointed out how much Pippen needed him

Who will you aim your irrational anger at then?"
-PopcornMachine
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

I was obviously just poking fun at Jordan because I don't like him. That's what you do when someone mentions a competitor on a message board for your favorite team. Some people take everything so seriously. How in the world anybody could get that I was basing his defense on that one game is beyond me. You makes jokes like that when you don't like a player and he gets embarassed by a player that you do like.

I get the feel that loyalties are splintered. By the way, how many of you are former Bulls fans? Just wondering. How many of you all were the ones who were arguing with me in the 90s on the Bulls' side? There sure were a lot of them, but now they are no where to be found.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

NoHarmNoFoul wrote:
It's typical Jordan -- barely complimenting, the underlying intent trying to remind people how great he used to be, yada yada.

Just like how at Pippen's jersey retirement, he pointed out how much Pippen needed him

Exactly my impression from his comments. He complimented Kobe just enough to not come off looking bad, but not enough to lead anyone to think that Kobe was on HIS level. :roll:
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

phanb wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
I didn't see all this "class" you guys are talking about. He basically said the politically correct thing to say, namely that Kobe was great and may (MAY?) be the best at his position and that it was a great thing to watch. What’s he supposed to say, that he hated it? Anyone here seriously believe MJ loved that scoring out put? Anyone here seriously believe he loves it when Kobe breaks his records? I’m sure MJ hates anything that puts Kobe in the discussion with him as the GOAT.

The reality is that Kobe is playing above everyone else in the game today. If MJ had truly been sincere and genuine, he would have said that Kobe is the best player today, but he just couldn’t bring himself to give Kobe that much. Honestly, I don’t at all fault him for that nor do I expect anything different from him, because at the end of the day MJ is still extremely competitive. Even now in retirement, he’s still competing with Kobe. Great competitors can be like that.

Someone said it best (don’t recall who) when they said, “Kobe is no longer playing with his peers. He’s now playing against legends.” Clearly, some legends don’t like that.

Lakerjam - if you notice he says he's the best at his position... sorta meaning all time... that's how I take that last statement, then he says he's clearly the best in the league right now at the position... I read class in just saying that

Actually, what Jordan said was, "It seems as though [Kobe's] got the edge over anybody in that position, if not in the league right now." That's saying he MIGHT be the best at his position, not that he is the best at his position - if not the league. That's not even saying Kobe is the best SG in the game today, but that he's in the "maybe" class.

I think you're wanting to see that statement as giving more props than it really does.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

vakobe wrote:
LucasWhite wrote:
smoothCbutla wrote:

Let's not forget that Jordan was about 40 when that game took place. And to say that Jordan's defense was overrated (at least in his prime) borders on ludicrous.

Actually, technically his defense really was over-rated - though that doesn't mean he wasn't a superb defender. I say this only because Pippen was by far the best defender on that team and one of the greatest perimeter defenders EVER. Yet Jordan won DPOY when Pippen was the one who always guarded the other team's best player. That means that if you're being honest, Jordan's defense was over-rated because he never deserved those props over Pippen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: