Byron Scott responds to all his Critics: "I'm a lot Smarter than All of them when it comes to Basketball"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Notice how defensive the old school guys are. Byron is smarter than everyone who would dare question him. Phil wants to know if they have 11 rings.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Notice how defensive the old school guys are. Byron is smarter than everyone who would dare question him. Phil wants to know if they have 11 rings.

No one likes to admit that the game has passed them by.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Math wrote:
I'm honestly astounded to hear a professional coach speak like this.

Typically you hear things like, "I know it's tough for the fans... Rebuilds are always difficult... I know it's hard to be patient when you're so passionate but we've seen some real progress..."

It's really not that hard if you aren't galactically insecure.

He's not a head coach. He's a former player who can talk the talk.

Only problem is all the ideologies that make him who is is, is totally outdated and unappealing today.

His words are nails on a scratch board.

Only people dumber than Byron are those who are giving him a job and now letting him keep it.

Won't be long now. We'll know a lot about our FO by the end of the week.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:

i don't know why they even consider this, Bryon is not suited as a modern day NBA coach, but he's made for TV sport talk shows, why not get him a permanent gig at TWC or to have his own show. it's a win win for both Lakers and Byron imo.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i don't know why they even consider this, Bryon is not suited as a modern day NBA coach, but he's made for TV sport talk shows, why not get him a permanent gig at TWC or to have his own show. it's a win win for both Lakers and Byron imo.

Oh god no. As bad as TWC is, I don't want to hear Byron's over-compensatory euphemisms all night and every day.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Oh god no. As bad as TWC is, I don't want to hear Byron's over-compensatory euphemisms all night and every day.

If it's a choice between that and having him coach, I hit the mute button with a big smile on my face.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

Byron's problem isn't that he's not smarter than media types. His problem is he's not as smart as most NBA coaches. The league has been taking his teams to school for two years now.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Byron's problem isn't that he's not smarter than media types. His problem is he's not as smart as most NBA coaches. The league has been taking his teams to school for two years now.
More like 5. He hasn't won 25 games in a season since he was coaching the Hornets.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

He doesn't seem as comfortable comparing himself to other coaches. I can't imagine why...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
He's not smarter than all the fans and critics. Time and again Scott's coaching has been broken down to be inept and archaic by people on LG and other places.
It has also been documented many times how the young players either didn't provide the needed effort (didn't play any transition defense), basketball IQ (like just blocking out), missed defensive assessments (didn't help the helpers), inexperience (played harder against the top teams while sleep-walking against the lessor teams), needed raw desire (getting rebounds is just effort), misplaced ego (they broke the offense to play "hero ball"), lack of basketball experience (see how Nance and Huertsas play defense and offense when compared to the uber talented DLO and JC - who admitted that he never worked on his defense before ~ exit interview) and/or the many holes they have in their respective games (Randle's outside shot and closing with right hand, JC's defensive abilities and DLO's lack of a NBA body and mental edge to be an elite PG).

It is hard to evaluate Byron's abilities while having a very young team playing during Kobr's Farewell Tour, though it is hope that the young players learned something seeing Kobe playing in "Mamba Mode." Byron played a Grizzs/like offensive since he is didn't have any legitimate 3pt shooters (DLO/JC are developing).

With an anticipated lottery draft choice and the ability to get two FAs, fortunes could change very fast
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Note to Byron: even lay people can generally spot the smartest guy in the room fairly quickly, and it isn't because he's acting like a moron while screaming, "I'm smarter than all of you!"
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

If you have to tell people you are the smartest, you usually aren't.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject:

He's smarter than people are giving him credit for...he's actually doing a great job developing the kids. sometimes, the most effective way to force a kid to work on his weak hand is to tie his strong hand behind his back so he can't lean on it too much. Russell is basically a first year PG and he needs to work on PG skills before he's allowed to spam the PnR all game long.

I'm in the minority but I like what Byron did his season even though it was very, very frustrating. Russell learned to control pace, increased his defensive focus, started developing a post game in his first season when most players are relying on athleticism and PnR. Developing his off game ( bodes well for playing with ball dominant players)

I'm sure next season Scott will give Russ the pieces he needs to shine but he will still be on a short leash(as he should).

I want my Pg to run the offense, break the offense when you see a mismatch, control the tempo, score when your team is struggling to get a bucket, keep everyone involved, find guys in their spots, be a threat without the ball, IDk what y'all were watching this year but Russell was ballin with one hand tied behind his back.

I wouldn't mind one more season with Byron. TBH.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I should commend Byron.

It must be difficult being the last Neanderthal on Earth.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
He's smarter than people are giving him credit for...he's actually doing a great job developing the kids. sometimes, the most effective way to force a kid to work on his weak hand is to tie his strong hand behind his back so he can't lean on it too much. Russell is basically a first year PG and he needs to work on PG skills before he's allowed to spam the PnR all game long.

I'm in the minority but I like what Byron did his season even though it was very, very frustrating. Russell learned to control pace, increased his defensive focus, started developing a post game in his first season when most players are relying on athleticism and PnR. Developing his off game ( bodes well for playing with ball dominant players)

I'm sure next season Scott will give Russ the pieces he needs to shine but he will still be on a short leash(as he should).

I want my Pg to run the offense, break the offense when you see a mismatch, control the tempo, score when your team is struggling to get a bucket, keep everyone involved, find guys in their spots, be a threat without the ball, IDk what y'all were watching this year but Russell was ballin with one hand tied behind his back.

Quote:
Clarkson: “I’ve never really worked on defense."

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lol I think people are taking this quote out of context. Most players work on the big parts of their games during the offseason. I think he meant that he never concentrates on that part of his game on his own, during the offseason. Clarkson has been a professional for two straight season and has never thrown his team or coaches under the bus once. He's been the one keeping Russell in check during interviews. I doubt he meant to take a shot at Scott intentionally or otherwiseZ
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

Lol I think people are taking this quote out of context. Most players work on the big parts of their games during the offseason. I think he meant that he never concentrates on that part of his game on his own, during the offseason. Clarkson has been a professional for two straight season and has never thrown his team or coaches under the bus once. He's been the one keeping Russell in check during interviews. I doubt he meant to take a shot at Scott intentionally or otherwiseZ

He is a good trooper and he wouldn't intentionally take a shot at Scott. Unintentionally, when he really meant to be self-critical? Yeah I can see him doing that.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
He's not smarter than all the fans and critics. Time and again Scott's coaching has been broken down to be inept and archaic by people on LG and other places.
It has also been documented many times how the young players either didn't provide the needed effort (didn't play any transition defense), basketball IQ (like just blocking out), missed defensive assessments (didn't help the helpers), inexperience (played harder against the top teams while sleep-walking against the lessor teams), needed raw desire (getting rebounds is just effort), misplaced ego (they broke the offense to play "hero ball"), lack of basketball experience (see how Nance and Huertsas play defense and offense when compared to the uber talented DLO and JC - who admitted that he never worked on his defense before ~ exit interview) and/or the many holes they have in their respective games (Randle's outside shot and closing with right hand, JC's defensive abilities and DLO's lack of a NBA body and mental edge to be an elite PG).

It is hard to evaluate Byron's abilities while having a very young team playing during Kobr's Farewell Tour, though it is hope that the young players learned something seeing Kobe playing in "Mamba Mode." Byron played a Grizzs/like offensive since he is didn't have any legitimate 3pt shooters (DLO/JC are developing).

With an anticipated lottery draft choice and the ability to get two FAs, fortunes could change very fast

Excellent post. I dug it.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

No one likes to admit that the game has passed them by.

Phil has the right to be more defensive. Byron hasn't done anything near what Phil did.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

He is a good trooper and he wouldn't intentionally take a shot at Scott. Unintentionally, when he really meant to be self-critical? Yeah I can see him doing that.

Possibly, but I still think that quote is being misconstrued.

I think fans just need someone to blame for too many consecutive losing seasons. I think it's easier than facing the truth and accepting the fact that our team is intentionally tanking in order to acquire enough assets to properly rebuild. I don't think any team in the NBA started the new season in a worse situation than the Los Angeles Lakers.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject:

Worst stupid (bleep) coach in the NBA
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

I think it's not hard at all to fairly evaluate Byron's performance.

Yes, he's had a lot of young players and an aged Kobe Bryant. He signed a contract to lead this team, with those factors identified going in. The two year period of Byron Scott as Laker head coach is the worst stretch of play in Laker history.

I might feel differently if there had been better indications from Byron's history, from his previous rebuild effort in Cleveland. But there''s confirmation instead. We're seeing the same sad show, certainly nothing better. I think we can judge him in terms of visible, measurable and intangible things. The game has passed Bryon by, in terms of strategy and tactics, and in terms that his Pat Riley schtick doesn't work unless he has superstar talent on hand already. I think these two years and the three years prior in Cleveland proves he is unable to teach and motivate young players well enough to satisfy fans and ownership quickly.

CLE
2011 19-63
2012 21-45
2013 24-58

LAL
2015 21-61
2016 17-65
2017 tbd

I wouldn't like to see another sub-thirty win season under Bryon's hand, but I fear his rention will lead to exactly that.

Last edited by 70sdude on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

Does anyone seriously want Byron wasting another year of DLO/JC/Randle and then screwing around with Ingram/Simmons?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

I think it's not hard at all to fairly evaluate Byron's performance.

Yes, he's had a lot of young players and an aged Kobe Bryant. He signed a contract to lead this team, with those factors identified going in. The two year period of Byron Scott as Laker head coach is the worst stretch of play in Laker history.

I might feel differently if there had been better indications from Byron's history, from his previous rebuild effort in Cleveland. But there''s confirmation instead. We're seeing the same sad show, certainly nothing better. I think we can judge him in terms of visible, measurable and intangible things. The game has passed Bryon by, in terms of strategy and tactics, and in terms that his Pat Riley schtick doesn't work unless he has superstar talent on hand already. I think these two years and the three years prior in Cleveland proves he is unable to teach and motivate young players well enough to satisfy fans and ownership quickly.

CLE
2011 19-63
2012 21-45
2013 24-58

LAL
2015 21-61
2016 17-65
2017 tbd

I wouldn't like to see another sub-thirty win season under Bryon's hand, but I fear his retention will lead to exactly that.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm assuming you listened to the entire exit interview.
Where the context was about what he works on in the off season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: