(Updated with Link) Ireland: "Dwight Howard interested to rejoin Lakers"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pmacla wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Osei wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
pmacla wrote:
tom wrote:
drew4lakers wrote:
The Magic quote kind of stuck out to me too.

It sounds bad on Magic's part to just crush some kid's dream.

However, I could see a scenario where a 15 year old Dwight Howard is at some basketball camp just clowning around. Magic is at that camp, sees that mentality and tries to give that kid a warning.

I would be curious to see more specifics on that meeting. Not a big deal, just curious.

how do we even know magic really said that. it's one guy word we are taking as gospil. the words of a guy that treated being a laker as a disease. can you really trust what he says?

Magic says he is lying
http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/11/magic-johnson-dwight-howards-wrong-i-never-dashed-nba-dreams/#ixzz48NQF4KZC
Lol. Dwight. Keep digging that hole.

My thought is Dwight took something Magic said and misinterpreted it or took it out of context. Not a Dwight Howard fan at all and I believe he's been caught lying about stuff in the past but I don't see him just making something like that up out of the blue...

There is a possibility someone feed Dwight about the Magic statement or someone tried to mess with his head, I mean wouldn't you feel bad if arguably the GOAT said that to you?

if he said that Kobe said that yes I would believe him but that isnt even in Magic's personality to crush a 10th graders dream

You are on point, Magic seems to be more open door spokesperson and would try to give advice to students and basketball players.

Dwight also can be lying. He lied to the Lakers about the up coming FA when we acquired him and its not out of the realm of possibility that Howard is trying to stir pots while his disappointing career comes to a close.

My guess is Magic probably said something innocuous such as "There's no garuntee you'll make the NBA so make sure you get your education to fall back on". Like half of LG, Dwight probably took a snippet of a comment, ran with it, created a straw man and now believes the take he formulated in his mind.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Dwight howard should join the spurs
With Timmy 40 years old and LA not having the post presence needed, IF Dwight wanted to restore his reputation - playing within Pop's system would help

Can Dwight deal with Kawhii being The Man and LA being "Robin" - would Dwight even consider this situation - nope
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

this puts d12's recent quotes from hakeem in question IMO.

i'd love to see a quote from hakeem saying "dwight has the skills to demand the ball in the post all day, every day".

TBH i think in the same tone, hakeem described what he worked for to achieve "if dwight keeps working on what i showed him" and improves.

Much like i'm sure Magic's actual quote would include words like dedication, work, improvement, drive, practice, learning..
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject:

Why is this still a topic? There have been more discussion-worthy threads locked compared to this...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
999 wrote:
Dwight howard should join the spurs
With Timmy 40 years old and LA not having the post presence needed, IF Dwight wanted to restore his reputation - playing within Pop's system would help

Can Dwight deal with Kawhii being The Man and LA being "Robin" - would Dwight even consider this situation - nope

And Pop has no issue with getting into his superstars' faces. Dwight would collapse mentally in the first week.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, but why are we still talking about this garbage player? And he would suck as Duncan's replacement, seeing that he isn't 1/10 the player Duncan is. He doesn't have the post moves, he doesn't have the heart, he doesn't have the touch, or the desire.

It's no one's fault here, but I don't see why a month after the Ierland report we are talking about someone who is no longer a Laker. My personal opinion, but this page should be moved elsewhere. Maybe to the Clutchfans forum.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

Howard talks his time with the Lakers and continues to blame Kobe and everyone else,but himself..

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15596878/dwight-howard-qa-superman-returns

ESPN: You have a reputation of being a little thin-skinned. How hard is it for you not to be affected by what people say about you?

Howard: "It bothers me when I hear certain things. Like when people call me a 'cancer.' I know I'm not that person. I want my team to be close. I'm pushing for my team to be together. When I was in Orlando and we went to the Finals (in 2009), we had so much chemistry. We were always together. When I got to L.A. (with the Lakers in 2012), they told me, 'You don't need team chemistry. You just need to be able to play basketball together.' So which is it? It's confusing.''

ESPN: Kobe said he wasn't sure winning was your top priority. Why would he say that?

Howard: "I wanted Kobe and me to work. I just think we were at two different points of our careers. When I went there, people warned me, 'Dwight, you gotta realize Kobe still wants to be the star.' My response was, 'Fine.' I said the same thing to Steve [Nash]. I wanted to learn from those guys. I wasn't trying to outshine them.''

ESPN: Kobe also questioned your toughness when he urged you to come back and play through your shoulder injury.

Howard: "Kobe put some pressure on me. He said something like, 'We don't have time for Dwight to be hurt.' The media is asking me, 'Did you talk to Kobe about your injuries?' I said, 'I didn't realize I was supposed to check with another player about my health.' When I first got there, I said to Kobe in front of the whole team, 'The only way we win is if we put our egos aside and play together.' I wanted to play with him. I don't know if he didn't want to play with me -- if he felt I wasn't a killer like him.''

ESPN: You could have signed a new deal to stay with the Lakers. Why didn't you?

Howard: "I just felt like it wasn't a team. I wanted a team. There were things that went on during the season that made me feel like I wasn't a part of it, like the thing with Kobe and my shoulder. People were saying, 'Dwight's so strong, he's Superman, he should play through it.' It was a torn labrum. I should have had surgery, but I didn't. I came back instead. I'll never forget the game we played against the Celtics in Boston (on Feb. 7, 2013). I hadn't practiced for a while -- I had just been working on the treadmill. But I played in Boston. We got blown out. Coach (Mike D'Antoni) still had me in when we were down 30. After the game, I'm walking off the court and a Lakers fan throws his jersey and hits me in the face. It was my name on that jersey. I will never forget that the rest of my life."

ESPN: The Lakers were a major disappointment that season, but the front office still wanted you back?

Howard: "Yes, they did. I had a decent year. I put up good numbers. Mitch [Kupchak] wanted me to stay. Jeanie [Buss] wanted me to stay. But I didn't think it was a good fit. When they fired Mike Brown (after five games), they asked me what coach I wanted. I said, 'Phil [Jackson].' They said, 'Well, we don't know about Phil.' So they went out and got D'Antoni, and I'm thinking, 'Well I guess what I say doesn't matter.' That was one thing. The other was when I got ejected from our last game. Kobe was out (with a torn Achilles) by then. As I walked out to the back to the locker room, Kobe was walking in. People turned that into some kind of statement from Kobe, like he was saying, 'He may be gone, but I'm coming back.' Kobe and I never fought. But I didn't like hearing that I was running away from the 'bright lights.' I knew what it meant to play for the Lakers and I wasn't afraid of it. But I was a free agent and I was looking at Houston, who had James, and, at that time Chandler [Parsons] and Jeremy [Lin] and I thought, 'This might be better for me.''

Last edited by tom on Thu May 19, 2016 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

Why are we still talking about Dwight Howard? (bleep) him.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Why are we still talking about Dwight Howard? (bleep) him.

Well consider some knuckle heads made this thread and such. Thought I show them the real Howard. A coward that blames everyone,but himself.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

There is no reason for him to be on the Lakers. He's 30 years old, he's not as athletic as he used to be. He (bleep) to damned much because no coach wants to make him the focus of their team.

Let this (bleep) die.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

His best case scenario on any team is if he plays like Deandre, then he has a high, might even max value. But the problem is that he no longer looks like he can dominate on the defensive end like Deandre, maybe it's just injuries taking a toll, or worse, maybe he just don't have the balls to ball out
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a fan of Dwight but I can't hate him for leaving. He was a free agent after the season and we did absolutely nothing to appeal to him to stay, the billboards don't count. Imagine if we resigned him with a max contract, we'd probably be tied with the Nets as the team with the bleakest future. We wouldn't have been good enough to make the playoffs, we wouldn't have been bad enough to draft D'Lo or Simmons/Ingram and would more than likely have lost our 1st round pick. Kobe would've still been injured and declining, and we would've been stuck with a malcontent, declining Dwight Howard. It would have been absolutely disastrous for both sides if he returned, so in that regard, we should thank him. That being said, I want absolutely no part of him. He can go ruin some other team.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

tom wrote:
Howard talks his time with the Lakers and continues to blame Kobe and everyone else,but himself..

ESPN: You have a reputation of being a little thin-skinned. How hard is it for you not to be affected by what people say about you?

Howard: "It bothers me when I hear certain things. Like when people call me a 'cancer.' I know I'm not that person. I want my team to be close. I'm pushing for my team to be together. When I was in Orlando and we went to the Finals (in 2009), we had so much chemistry. We were always together. When I got to L.A. (with the Lakers in 2012), they told me, 'You don't need team chemistry. You just need to be able to play basketball together.' So which is it? It's confusing.''

ESPN: Kobe said he wasn't sure winning was your top priority. Why would he say that?

Howard: "I wanted Kobe and me to work. I just think we were at two different points of our careers. When I went there, people warned me, 'Dwight, you gotta realize Kobe still wants to be the star.' My response was, 'Fine.' I said the same thing to Steve [Nash]. I wanted to learn from those guys. I wasn't trying to outshine them.''

ESPN: Kobe also questioned your toughness when he urged you to come back and play through your shoulder injury.

Howard: "Kobe put some pressure on me. He said something like, 'We don't have time for Dwight to be hurt.' The media is asking me, 'Did you talk to Kobe about your injuries?' I said, 'I didn't realize I was supposed to check with another player about my health.' When I first got there, I said to Kobe in front of the whole team, 'The only way we win is if we put our egos aside and play together.' I wanted to play with him. I don't know if he didn't want to play with me -- if he felt I wasn't a killer like him.''

Howard: "I just felt like it wasn't a team. I wanted a team. There were things that went on during the season that made me feel like I wasn't a part of it, like the thing with Kobe and my shoulder. People were saying, 'Dwight's so strong, he's Superman, he should play through it.' It was a torn labrum. I should have had surgery, but I didn't. I came back instead. I'll never forget the game we played against the Celtics in Boston (on Feb. 7, 2013). I hadn't practiced for a while -- I had just been working on the treadmill. But I played in Boston. We got blown out. Coach (Mike D'Antoni) still had me in when we were down 30. After the game, I'm walking off the court and a Lakers fan throws his jersey and hits me in the face. It was my name on that jersey. I will never forget that the rest of my life."

ESPN: The Lakers were a major disappointment that season, but the front office still wanted you back?

Howard: "Yes, they did. I had a decent year. I put up good numbers. Mitch [Kupchak] wanted me to stay. Jeanie [Buss] wanted me to stay. But I didn't think it was a good fit. When they fired Mike Brown (after five games), they asked me what coach I wanted. I said, 'Phil [Jackson].' They said, 'Well, we don't know about Phil.' So they went out and got D'Antoni, and I'm thinking, 'Well I guess what I say doesn't matter.' That was one thing. The other was when I got ejected from our last game. Kobe was out (with a torn Achilles) by then. As I walked out to the back to the locker room, Kobe was walking in. People turned that into some kind of statement from Kobe, like he was saying, 'He may be gone, but I'm coming back.' Kobe and I never fought. But I didn't like hearing that I was running away from the 'bright lights.' I knew what it meant to play for the Lakers and I wasn't afraid of it. But I was a free agent and I was looking at Houston, who had James, and, at that time Chandler [Parsons] and Jeremy [Lin] and I thought, 'This might be better for me.''

I bolded the bull[expletive].

Kobe DID NOT tell Dwight to play through the injury!

Kobe said that the team can't afford to wait around for Dwight's injury to get better and was insinuating that they had to play hard now, NOT that Dwight should rush back.

Kobe HIMSELF went to Dwight to tell him what he actually said and cleared the air there cause Kobe said nothing wrong.

The fact ESPN refuses to acknowledge this and DWIGHT himself refuses to acknowledge what Kobe actually meant despite having it cleared to him shows what a cowardly piece of [expletive] he is.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I do not hate him for leaving. I hate him for running his mouth when he left, not taking the game seriously, and being a low life. That being said, if he wants to sign for less than 8 per year, I wouldn't be against it.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I do not hate him for leaving. I hate him for running his mouth when he left, not taking the game seriously, and being a low life. That being said, if he wants to sign for less than 8 per year, I wouldn't be against it.
I spend my seasons rooting against Howard and Harden. Now Howard is a free agent and I've watched a season of "Slow Roy." I would like to see the young guys in position to succeed. Imo, getting Ingram would give them a very good core of positions 1-4. I'd like them to bring in Whiteside, Ezeli, or I'd even accept Horford, although I don't like 6' 9", average athleticism, mediocre jump shooting centers . In the end, I want to see what the young guys can do with all the holes plugged and while I was against it before...I'd take Howard back, if necessary, on a moderate contract, as a stop gap until a suitable replacement could be found. That would be without promising Howard that he'd be treated as "the" guy/man.

Has anyone thought about plugging Pau into that lineup? I'd even go for that this year.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
I spend my seasons rooting against Howard and Harden. Now Howard is a free agent and I've watched a season of "Slow Roy." I would like to see the young guys in position to succeed. Imo, getting Ingram would give them a very good core of positions 1-4. I'd like them to bring in Whiteside, Ezeli, or I'd even accept Horford, although I don't like 6' 9", average athleticism, mediocre jump shooting centers . In the end, I want to see what the young guys can do with all the holes plugged and while I was against it before...I'd take Howard back, if necessary, on a moderate contract, as a stop gap until a suitable replacement could be found. That would be without promising Howard that he'd be treated as "the" guy/man.

Has anyone thought about plugging Pau into that lineup? I'd even go for that this year.

I'd take Howard or Pau over Biyombo or Ezeli.

We'd make the playoffs and could later sign someone like Davis to replace them.
madd_game08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

No thanks. I'd rather give Tarik time vs Dwight. I'd argue given the same minutes over a full season, Tarik would actually post better numbers and would come for a fraction of the price.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Why is this still a topic? There have been more discussion-worthy threads locked compared to this...

Because it is the off season...

Time to pad your Postings totals...!

BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

A lot of u its are taking things personally. Bball is just business. And if we can get Dwight on a decent deal, why not? I wouldn't give him the max obviously, but if he wants to win a ring and come here with KD, I would not object
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

madd_game08 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

No thanks. I'd rather give Tarik time vs Dwight. I'd argue given the same minutes over a full season, Tarik would actually post better numbers and would come for a fraction of the price.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=howardw01&p2=blackta01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

scroll down to per 36 minutes and 100 possessions and you'll find this isn't true. Tarik is decent... but still a good ways below Dwight in terms of productivity.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=howardw01&p2=biyombi01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Same with Biyombo

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=howardw01&p2=ezelife01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Same with Ezeli

Dwight is somewhere between the franchise savior we thought about him four years ago and the franchise antichrist we think of him as now.

But to think these journeyman will be able to produce like Dwight is very optimistic.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe this is a thing. No Dwight. Never Dwight. (bleep) Dwight. Let his stink infect yet another team.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Someone is going to give him max money. Most likely Cuban.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Man, Dwight comes off as such a whiny beta in that interview. No wonder Kobe hates the guy.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Any chance Luke (and Shaw) can get the best out of Dwight?

Dwight needed Phil back in 2013 but we gave him D'Antoni.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks! Here's another "bolded" statement from that a$$.

Quote:
After the game, I'm walking off the court and a Lakers fan throws his jersey and hits me in the face. It was my name on that jersey. I will never forget that the rest of my life."

Neither will we... that's why we don't want your a$$ anywhere near LA!

MJST wrote:
tom wrote:

I bolded the bull[expletive].

Kobe DID NOT tell Dwight to play through the injury!

Kobe said that the team can't afford to wait around for Dwight's injury to get better and was insinuating that they had to play hard now, NOT that Dwight should rush back.

Kobe HIMSELF went to Dwight to tell him what he actually said and cleared the air there cause Kobe said nothing wrong.

The fact ESPN refuses to acknowledge this and DWIGHT himself refuses to acknowledge what Kobe actually meant despite having it cleared to him shows what a cowardly piece of [expletive] he is.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 23 of 28
Jump to: