Fixing the Los Angeles Lakers (Roster/Coaching Questions Loom Large in LA - pg. 4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject:

1. Fire Byron Scott

2. Hire a GOOD coach
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
1. Fire Byron Scott

2. Hire a GOOD coach

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:

1. Fire Byron Scott and hire Scott Brooks.
2. Draft Ingram with the 2nd pick.
3. Sign Whiteside to the max and re-sign Clarkson for 12m a year
4. Waive Young
5. Pass on Derozan and save the rest of the cap for next year.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

No
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject:

For starters:

-New coach

-Draft Simmons or Ingram

-If we get the 3rd pick in the draft, trade the pick to someone who has to take Williams and Swaggy off our hands. This will give us 80 million to play with.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
For starters:

-New coach

-Draft Simmons or Ingram

-If we get the 3rd pick in the draft, trade the pick to someone who has to take Williams and Swaggy off our hands. This will give us 80 million to play with.

The question is what is coming back for that package?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

If and when a coaching change happens here's my list of potential head coach candidates
(in no particular order except LW is my #1 choice).

Luke Walton
Tom Thibodeau
Ettore Messina
Scott Brooks
David Blatt
Nate Tibbetts
Kevin Ollie
Ime Udoka
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

Nice lady, pio. That's mine as well. I am curious about Udoka and what he would bring. Also, I'd wonder what Thibodeau has learned from his time in Chicago.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
danzag wrote:
1. Fire Byron Scott

2. Hire a GOOD coach

RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
For starters:

-New coach

-Draft Simmons or Ingram

How about a future 1st or a cheap player.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

Based on the recent uninspired hires, I could see Brooks being high on the Lakers list.

They seem to want to work through every mediocre retread coach they can before hiring a good one.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
For starters:

-New coach

-Draft Simmons or Ingram

How about a future 1st or a cheap player.

For all that salary going out?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

My plan for "Fixing the Lakers" based on current situation.

1. Front Office Restructure

Hire a True Head of Basketball Ops with accountability stopping with him or her, clarify the power structure in the organization and clearly define everyone's roles, responsibility and most importantly....accountability

This needs to be a big time hire, we have to think big and outside the box.

2. Draft

If we keep pick and assuming it is in top 2, I would take Brandon Ingram.

If pick is at #3 and Ingram and Simmons are off the board, I would try and trade down or package the pick and Jordan Clarkson for a veteran player.

If we can't trade down, I would take Bender or Thon Maker at the #3 pick.

3. Free Agency

This is the hard part as it really comes down to what the players want to do. However, the key is targeting the right kind of players. We aren't getting LeBron for instance.

What needs to happen is a Laker emissary behind the scenes needs to get to some of the agents involved and see about getting a couple of guys to team up here together.

Perhaps a Kobe or Magic or even a guy like Rick Fox could talk say Whiteside and DeRozan into teaming up here?

I think it will have to be a package deal to get the top tier guys, I don't see one taking a chance on his own as it is pretty much committing to a massive rebuild.

4. Coach

The New Head of Basketball Ops needs to bring in his own guy to coach, I am of the thinking the most important thing to improve the team quickly is to start demanding defense or removing playing time accordingly.

To me, it seems clear Thibodeaux is the best choice of the available guys with NBA experience...I don't think a young assistant type with no NBA experience will be able to get these TMZ Lakers to play any defense, they have played none the last two seasons and have not seen playing time reduced for it.

So I would hire Thibodeaux.

5. Current Roster

I would try and retain Bass, I would look to trade/cut Swaggy.

Lou Williams I would keep for now. Only Black is a keeper from the rest of the bench, maybe Huertas.

As far as the "kids" of Russell, Nance, Clarkson, Randle...I would require each of them commit to a summer conditioning program and stay in town. If any don't wish to do that, I would look to trade them...we need gym rats and committed guys, not Sunset Strip party boys.

It is going to be a long tough rebuild and will require hard decisions to be made. So the first thing to do is fix the decision making process by fixing the front office.

Last edited by LakerLanny on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

Lanny, who would be your candidates for item 1?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lanny, who would be your candidates for item 1?

That is the hardest part Omar.

Of the so called "likely suspects" I think age is an issue that would rule these guys out:

Phil Jackson 70
Donnie Walsh 75
Jerry West 77
Pat Riley 71

So I think it would make sense to look at younger candidates as I do think energy and fresh ideas are important, perhaps more important than experience.

So some of the candidates as I see it:

Mitch Kupchak 61 - He is only 61 years old and very experienced. However his results over the last several years are poor and he may be unfairly handicapped by the front office structure.

So if he was given complete control, maybe he could do it but he would not be my first choice obviously.

Ryan West - Only 36 years old and a LG favorite, I am not as sold on his credentials as most here but I like his youth, the fact that he is already in the org and his last name. But I wonder if he has the type of "name value" we will need to start pulling big time free agents?

So instead, I would lean towards taking a chance on someone with limited or no experience in the Head of Basketball Ops role but someone who we like the potential of.

How about trying to give Mike Budenholzer this role?

Maybe a former player like Rick Fox is ready for something like this?

What about Kobe Bryant? His KFT showed the respect the players around the league have for him, think he could recruit now that he isn't on the roster at a big number and taking a lot of shots? I think he could do it, he is a very smart guy and has the "big name" needed to get attention from the other players/agents.

What if we tried to pry Brad Stevens loose from Boston by offering complete control?

Maybe a smart basketball mind like Jeff Van Gundy?

I think there are options, it is obvious we can't go on with the muddled, no accountability "group think" pass the buck approach...it isn't working and isn't going to work.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

I think you can safely discard Stevens, because Boston wouldn't let him out of his contract, and JVG because I can't see any of ownership going that way. Budenholzer is appealing to me, but I don't see him getting sole power without an ownership veto. The only guy who gets that is Phil imo.

Worth noting that the Laker model was always kind of three headed. Jerry Jerry mitch, Jerry mitch Phil, Jerry mitch Jim. So there is some sellable ground for a third head. Bud fits that in that Jim could sell him and Mitch, with Jim (or ownership consensus) trumping if those two can't agree. Bud concentrates on analytics, coaching, and type of player he wants, mitch on transactions and talent evaluation.
miamichico305
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
2. Draft Ingram with the 2nd pick.
3. Sign Whiteside to the max and re-sign Clarkson for 12m a year
4. Waive Young
5. Pass on Derozan and save the rest of the cap for next year.

LOL Why?.. offer him his QO.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

The only way I see the Lakers becoming championship contenders again is with an ownership change.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think you can safely discard Stevens, because Boston wouldn't let him out of his contract, and JVG because I can't see any of ownership going that way. Budenholzer is appealing to me, but I don't see him getting sole power without an ownership veto. The only guy who gets that is Phil imo.

Worth noting that the Laker model was always kind of three headed. Jerry Jerry mitch, Jerry mitch Phil, Jerry mitch Jim. So there is some sellable ground for a third head. Bud fits that in that Jim could sell him and Mitch, with Jim (or ownership consensus) trumping if those two can't agree. Bud concentrates on analytics, coaching, and type of player he wants, mitch on transactions and talent evaluation.

I could live with that, but would really prefer the Lakers get away from the three headed model and let the Basketball Decisions truly rest with one person as far as accountability and final say.

With input of course from everyone else.

The Buss family is very similar to the Spanos family of the San Diego Chargers. Each has involved all the offspring in the organization in roles that many are not qualified for and it doesn't work.

There is no reason to do this with team valuations as they are in the modern era. Be the owner, make your money but outsource the basketball/football decisions to those qualified to make them.

We don't need Buss' in the scouting department or in pseudo GM roles just like the Chargers don't need the Spanos' in player evaluation and head of football ops roles.

It is an ego thing these owners do for their kids who cannot do any real jobs in the world. How about just having them focus on charitable foundations and such and actually use their skills to good use? Having Jim Buss or Jesse Buss in basketball roles is ridiculous, sorry to say.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Time, a little luck and let Mitch the Gawd do his thing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I could live with that, but would really prefer the Lakers get away from the three headed model and let the Basketball Decisions truly rest with one person as far as accountability and final say.

The Buss family is very similar to the Spanos family of the San Diego Chargers. Each has involved all the offspring in the organization in roles that many are not qualified for and it doesn't work.

There is no reason to do this with team valuations as they are in the modern era. Be the owner, make your money but outsource the basketball/football decisions to those qualified to make them.

We don't need Buss' in the scouting department or in pseudo GM roles just like the Chargers don't need the Spanos' in player evaluation and head of football ops roles.

It is an ego thing these owners do for their kids who cannot do any real jobs in the world. How about just having them focus on charitable foundations and such and actually use their skills to good use? Having Jim Buss or Jesse Buss in basketball roles is ridiculous, sorry to say.

That's a very rational, supportable take that I respect. I do, however, feel like that option isn't available. It is either a collaborative model under Jim, or hand it over to Phil. And if it is Phil, it is the one gap triangle.

That's where bud fits for me. I have no problem with the talent evaluation (hence no need to toss Jesse) or transactional capability. I have respect for Jim pushing for analytics and Mitch coming along as well, it's just that they don't have experience with how to arrange it and translate it. Bud gives you all of that, and solves the coaching issue as well. And he can tell a free agent with great detail what the plan is on the floor. Mitch is quite amenable to working with coaching needs, and I think Jim won't Bigfoot them. Win win win.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Bingo and I'll hire someone that deals with the modem business side of the team too because we're out of date in marketing, and also let Mitch do his job.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

For the record, except for coaching hires (where we know both Jerry and Jeanie have involved ownership above Mitch) and the Kobe deal, I have yet to see anyone provide evidence of where Jim has not let Mitch do what he wants to do, or made him do something he didn't want to. The "Jim controlling Mitch and not letting him do his job" meme is strong, but wholly unsupported.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That's a very rational, supportable take that I respect. I do, however, feel like that option isn't available. It is either a collaborative model under Jim, or hand it over to Phil. And if it is Phil, it is the one gap triangle.

That's where bud fits for me. I have no problem with the talent evaluation (hence no need to toss Jesse) or transactional capability. I have respect for Jim pushing for analytics and Mitch coming along as well, it's just that they don't have experience with how to arrange it and translate it. Bud gives you all of that, and solves the coaching issue as well. And he can tell a free agent with great detail what the plan is on the floor. Mitch is quite amenable to working with coaching needs, and I think Jim won't Bigfoot them. Win win win.

Who's Bud.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Who's Bud.

Budenholzer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: