Naked and Afraid - Top 5?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Naked and Afraid - Top 5?

So who would you rank at the Naked And AfraidTop 5 Studs and Studettes when it comes to Survival Prowess?

While I think the top 5 have all been dudes, overall I think there have actually been more female studs than male studs over the years. I think the fact that so many female whiners have been allowed to slip through that it obsures the fact that the average female participant have actually had better overall survival skills than the male participants. Although their combined achilles heel has been a total lack of hunting skills. But in fairness, there have been few decent male hunters as well. A lot of the guys talk a good game, but when push comes to shove aren't able to successfully kill much of anything outside of the occasional fish.

Also, it's amazing that folks don't choose from a larger variety for their single survival item. Can't believe there have been as few nets. Anyone who's spent even the least bit of time in the wilderness knows just how much of a morale killer a constant insect bombardment is. But it's not just comfort. It's multiple use status as a shelter enhancement, food trap, and skimmer really leaves one scratching their head. I cringe every time I see someone show up with a smaller knife. It's as if they've some fantasy of doing hand to hand combat with a bear?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I would say this episode:

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I would say this episode:

Thanx! I had not seen that.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject:

Forgot his name, but that Mormon guy was probably the best male participant on the show.

Dude took on an electric eel, getting attacked and shocked during it all. Crazy.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

I'm a big fan of MOST Survival shows, but I could just never get up the nerve to watch this. I always felt it was way too gimmick-y and silly of a premise to take seriously.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I'm a big fan of MOST Survival shows, but I could just never get up the nerve to watch this. I always felt it was way too gimmick-y and silly of a premise to take seriously.

You should definitely watch an episode. It's definitely the harshest of any survival shows. The lack of clothing is truly one of the most difficult parts to endure, not from a standpoint of modesty, but because of the total lack of protection from the environment. It adds a layer of realism that simply can't be mimicked by shows where you've protection from sun, bugs, thorns, nettles, etc. Everyone has no choice but to rely on their brains for survival. There's no other way to get through it. Also, not being able to pick your partner is one of the things that makes it so interesting. Even if you don't like each other, you're still forced to rely on each other for survival. Imagine hating someone but still having to spoon with them for heat just to make it through the night. There literally is no other option. Those are the 2 primary reasons it's become the most interesting of the survival show genre and stays in the #1 watched position.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

I don't get how they get contestants for this. You get paid about 1,000 per week, and there is no prize if you make it to 21 days. In the meantime, the network is making bank off of your suffering.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I don't get how they get contestants for this. You get paid about 1,000 per week, and there is no prize if you make it to 21 days. In the meantime, the network is making bank off of your suffering.

Sweet
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject:

It's actually a pretty good show. Try their diet ... guarantee you will lose 10-30 pounds
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
It's actually a pretty good show. Try their diet ... guarantee you will lose 10-30 pounds

No doubt, although I'm always amazed that the men wither away so much more than the women. In a survival scenario, women really do have a bit of an advantage with the way their bodies store fat. Men start to burn muscle sooner and that works to their disadvantage when they get into starvation mode. That's probably one of the saddest things that I've taken from the series. To date, not a single pairing has sought to utilise the male/female bio dynamic in a more efficient manner.

Another thing that's pretty sad is (and I'm sure this is purposeful by the production selection committee) participants consistently fail to adapt their survival skills to an unfamiliar environment. They consistently try to force skills that work well in one environment into a completely different environment, and are always flummoxed when it doesn't work as well as they're accustomed to. This is most apparent in fire making, but also is apparent in securing water as well. Can't believe that not a single participant that's headed to an island environment hasn't consulted an islander and figured out that one of the most useful items to choose as their survival tool would be a roll of duct tape. Duct tape would allow for an unlimited fresh water supply, allow for the easiest assembly of a multitude of tools, the least of which being a bomb-proof bamboo bow drill for fire making, as well as a bomb-proof thatch-palm net & raft for fishing. Instead they try to utilize dry weather tooling to accomplish these tasks with predictably frustrating results. But that's what keeps things interesting for the viewer.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

For those watching this 2nd XL season, last night was one of the most gut wrenching episodes of any survival show to date. They're literally dropping like flies and you could just feel the pain of the last 3 forced to tap out. Amazed that only one of them stopped to ponder just why would fresh fruit still just be sitting there in an environment where everything is hungry. Yet only one of them refused to eat the diseased fruit and 4 of them paid a heavy price for that mistake. 3/4 of the original 12 have now been forced out. I can't see any of the remaining 4 making it to day 40.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

^Yeah, that was a brutal 24 hours. I guess the monkey and bat crap on those was causing the issues apparently? That's what it sounded like they were suggesting.

Also I agree on the net. Last time I was backpacking and swarmed by mosquitos...I was thinking that would be my downfall on this show. They'd eat my ass alive nonstop. I'd have to come up with a solution for that.

One of the women I backpack with all the time was asked to go on the show. She has too many diet/health issues to do it.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Crazy show. My mom of all people watches it.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
^Yeah, that was a brutal 24 hours. I guess the monkey and bat crap on those was causing the issues apparently? That's what it sounded like they were suggesting.

Also I agree on the net. Last time I was backpacking and swarmed by mosquitos...I was thinking that would be my downfall on this show. They'd eat my ass alive nonstop. I'd have to come up with a solution for that.

One of the women I backpack with all the time was asked to go on the show. She has too many diet/health issues to do it.

They're really reaching on the bats. Most likely it was a combination of monkey saliva and tick excretions. The enzymes which allow the monkeys to digest the fruit without issue also shields them and allows them to become such capable disease carriers and would very likely be poisonous to humans. Most of what grows high up in the canopy isn't fit for human ingestion. Anyone who has ever eaten something that's "turned" never forgets the taste. Phaedra commented on recognising the familiar taste that had done her in before, yet still kept chomping away at the bad fruit. But hunger can cause many to just throw caution to the wind and they were all very protein deprived.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: