What's the best defense to sideline PnR's?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: What's the best defense to sideline PnR's?

Is it trapping the guard on the sideline or letting the guard get around the screen while having the big contain the ball? Also, what are the specific advantages to sideline PnR's, versus setting them up top?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject:

both the advantages and disadvantages of sideline stuff has to do with the fact that there is no where for a player to go on the sideline stuff, so it all has to do with restricted movement.

In that video, what's happening is mainly a distraction. The PG is distracting the defense. There's a few things...
the gaurd is driving to the basket, which sucks in the defense because he is getting closer to the rim. They basically have to follow him or else it's a layup.
But...they also know he can pass out of there, so whoever is following him is also keeping an eye out on the movement up top. SO in those plays, the defender is getting tricked by the PG and someone is getting an open shot. This is all zone stuff, which i personally hate. but that's what is going on.

the logic of it is no different than other PnR stuff, on both offense and defense. The defense has to switch properly. The offense needs to find the right seams and stuff. if you are thinking there's anything different about it, i don't think that's the case. it's just another twist on PnR, everything is the same.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject:

I would say that if I had a big who was capable of it, I'd have him step up to cut off the guard rather than drop back. Because it's along the sideline it's easier to send a third defender over to tag the rolling big while not allowing the guard to turn the corner.

If you drop back and allow the guard room to drive baseline you give him plenty of time and space to make the read to find the shooter(s) on the weak side. Either there are two shooters there, and you can easily give up the corner three either directly, or from a swing pass from the wing. Or they are running a back screen for the weak side shooter in a "Hammer" action which also opens them up for the corner three.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject:

Trap if the screen sends the guard to the corner, and Ice if it's sending the guard middle. Personnel willing of course on the trap. If I have a plodding big I'd soft hedge.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

Just play hard and man up. It's about wanting it more than the other team
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: