Ice Cube Wants To Make A Movie About Kobe Bryant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kei122
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Ice Cube Wants To Make A Movie About Kobe Bryant

In an interview with Power 105.1’s Angie Martinez, Ice Cube revealed that he has an idea for a Kobe Bryant movie. Cube said he would pitch the idea to Kobe to see if he'd be interested.

Video: http://bit.ly/1WFdMWG
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure if that's a good idea it will only show Kobe highest point which is getting along and winning with shaq followed by his lowest point which is sexual assault accusation and feuding with shaq. Followed by his rising points to the top which is his focus and work ethic which was to win again.

It might work but all the movie will be is purely basketball with meaningless drama.

It's not like Muhammad Ali or Jackie Robinson or even magic Johnson (which imo would be a better movie than Kobe Bryant's)
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I'm not sure if that's a good idea it will only show Kobe highest point which is getting along and winning with shaq followed by his lowest point which is sexual assault accusation and feuding with shaq. Followed by his rising points to the top which is his focus and work ethic which was to win again.

It might work but all the movie will be is purely basketball with meaningless drama.

It's not like Muhammad Ali or Jackie Robinson or even magic Johnson (which imo would be a better movie than Kobe Bryant's)

Really?!

-Growing up in Italy
-High School and early fame... decisions to enter Pro at 17
-Growing up amongst men ... considered the cocky anti-social kid
-Early Fame / All-Star appearances / Rap Album
-Suffering from teammates calling him selfish
-Meeting Vanessa / Fallout with Parents
-Shaq vs Kobe
-Colorado
-Black Mamba
-China Fandom
-Olympics

the list goes on...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

go read the Mamba Out article

Kobe has kept things to himself his entire life. People didn't find out that shamgod was the one who taught him dribbling before he came to the nba until two years ago
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
999 wrote:

Really?!

-Growing up in Italy
-Shaq vs Kobe
-Colorado
-Black Mamba
-China Fandom
-Olympics

the list goes on...

no kidding.
yea...a film about the best basketball player the world has ever seen is not a good idea.
It might even get Best Picture at the Chinese academy awards.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject:

Kobe was the hardest working person ever

He was completely obsessed with basketball

When other people say obsessed it doesn't even mean anything to me any more, because it's not the obsession Kobe had.

Quote:
"I try to have at least 15 minutes of still time and just kind of sit in my thoughts in the morning and just kind of meditate. And normally what happens with me is my mind would always drift to the game. Always," Bryant explained. "And then I found myself sitting there. My mind wouldn't drift towards the game all the time anymore."

He slept three hours a day. Wakes up security guards to open the gym so he can practice at night. There are so many stories, and these are only the ones we know of. The Mamba Out article goes into this a tiny bit as well, with the biking through the desert story, but there are so many million more things that we don't know that he did every day, practising night in night out.

I smh when commentators say players are as hard working as Kobe because that's just not true.

but anyway this post is just about Kobe's obsession. The thread was about a movie. The movie could be about that sure, but there are so many more things. Not everything I mentioned is in the Mamba Out article, but I really think you should read it. Especially the part where Vanessa kicks him out before the Orlando game

However, I don't think they should make this movie because they wouldn't be able to do it justice
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject:

Kobe has had 28 camera crews following his every move for three years.

I don't think he'll be looking for anyone else to tell his story.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

Birmingham wrote:

Yes. Kobe will release his own film at some point.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Suffering from teammates calling him selfish

What hardships.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

Ride Along 3....

O'shea, Kevin, and Bean
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

Birmingham wrote:

really? geezus.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
999 wrote:

Really?!

-Growing up in Italy
-Shaq vs Kobe
-Colorado
-Black Mamba
-China Fandom
-Olympics

the list goes on...

The only really dramatic element here is the Colorado stuff. I could see a movie (probably a TV movie) being built around that episode in Kobe's life. Other than that, it's hard to imagine a film about teammates calling him selfish, the Shaq stuff and all the rest being of interest to anyone outside of hardcore Kobe fans.

It's an interesting life, but not really a film because it lacks a central dramatic element. All the dramatic elements, from a film standpoint, are too trivial to carry a narrative. Cover-the-whole-life biopics generally only work if you have a strong central dramatic thread with some societal consequence, a la Muhammad Ali. Jim Thorpe and Jackie Robinson.

I could see it working more as a documentary than a movie, because documentaries aren't as plot dependent.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject:

He better get Michael B Jordan to play Kobe throughout
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
999 wrote:

Really?!

-Growing up in Italy
-Shaq vs Kobe
-Colorado
-Black Mamba
-China Fandom
-Olympics

the list goes on...

- $4mil 'I'm sorry' ring
- habla espanol, Italian y ingles
- took Kim Kardashian's sex tape partner's sister to prom
- has a bigger name than Kobe steak
- 2 hall of fame careers, #8 & #24
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Well, everyone here is assuming it's a biopic. For all we know it's something like Spacejam.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

Possible titles:

"It Was a Good Career"
"You Know How He Did It"
"Straight Outta Lower Marion"
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

Makes me thing what basketball movies would be good:

1. Jordan secretly gets banned from NBA and goes off to play minor league baseball.

2. Kobe and what really happened in Colorado

3. Javaris Crittenton, from hood to NBA to prison

4. Magic -- sexcapades and HIV

5. Dennis Rodman, alcoholic friend of dictator

6. Allen Iverson, getting drunk and going broke

7. Lamar Odom, the sad tumble down

8. Metta World Peace, mental imbalance to fighting to redemption or just the Malice in the Palace

9. Jayson Williams, murderer

10. Stephon Marbury, NBA pariah turns into Chinese superstar
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

I like the idea of a Kobe movie in a year or two after the dust settles, but I don't think Ice Cube is the right guy for the job. There's really nothing "hood" or street about Kobe, which is good.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Makes me thing what basketball movies would be good:

1. Jordan secretly gets banned from NBA and goes off to play minor league baseball.

2. Kobe and what really happened in Colorado

3. Javaris Crittenton, from hood to NBA to prison

4. Magic -- sexcapades and HIV

5. Dennis Rodman, alcoholic friend of dictator

6. Allen Iverson, getting drunk and going broke

7. Lamar Odom, the sad tumble down

8. Metta World Peace, mental imbalance to fighting to redemption or just the Malice in the Palace

9. Jayson Williams, murderer

10. Stephon Marbury, NBA pariah turns into Chinese superstar

That would be an amazing 30 for 30.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

While Kobe's career would make a great movie(really a soap opera for the past 20 years) he's not letting anyone but him tell his story.
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe has one of if not the most interesting stories in sports history and I've been hoping for something like this for a long time. The idea of a "relatively normal" ( albeit extremely gifted ) wanting to "dance with the gods" and then you add in all of the interesting drama along the way and it's a great great story and up until his last game had a weak ending but now has an amazing ending sort of like tin cup ( if Tin cup won 5 rings and then did what he did )
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
999 wrote:

Really?!

-Growing up in Italy
-Shaq vs Kobe
-Colorado
-Black Mamba
-China Fandom
-Olympics

the list goes on...

The only really dramatic element here is the Colorado stuff. I could see a movie (probably a TV movie) being built around that episode in Kobe's life. Other than that, it's hard to imagine a film about teammates calling him selfish, the Shaq stuff and all the rest being of interest to anyone outside of hardcore Kobe fans.

It's an interesting life, but not really a film because it lacks a central dramatic element. All the dramatic elements, from a film standpoint, are too trivial to carry a narrative. Cover-the-whole-life biopics generally only work if you have a strong central dramatic thread with some societal consequence, a la Muhammad Ali. Jim Thorpe and Jackie Robinson.

I could see it working more as a documentary than a movie, because documentaries aren't as plot dependent.

You can't be serious? 90% of Kobes career is incredible drama that would translate phenomenally to the screen
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject:

evetssteve10 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
999 wrote:

Really?!

-Growing up in Italy
-Shaq vs Kobe
-Colorado
-Black Mamba
-China Fandom
-Olympics

the list goes on...

You can't be serious? 90% of Kobes career is incredible drama that would translate phenomenally to the screen

I don't see it, personally. But that's not a slam on Kobe. Most great athletes have had interesting careers that don't really have the dramatic elements that a two-hour movie requires. But, heck, maybe that great filmmaker Ice Cube will prove me wrong
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
999 wrote:

Really?!

-Growing up in Italy
-Shaq vs Kobe
-Colorado
-Black Mamba
-China Fandom
-Olympics

the list goes on...

I don't see it, personally. But that's not a slam on Kobe. Most great athletes have had interesting careers that don't really have the dramatic elements that a two-hour movie requires. But, heck, maybe that great filmmaker Ice Cube will prove me wrong

Man!!!! You're a tough one.

The way I would tell the story is start it about 15 games before the "Achilles" game. He's trying with all his might to turn this season around and he makes the promise that he made to make the playoffs and it ends in a montage of their epic comeback and moving up the board and then we see the game where he literally gives everything and tears his Achilles.

and then the story starts present day during the rehab process during his final season and he is doing interviews and talking to old rivals and friends and it goes back in time a lot and that's how we get the old part of his career in the story and then we are going through the final season with him and he's depressed that he will never have a good ending to his legacy and then it leads up to "the final game".

But all of the flashback stuff to his earlier days would have to tie into the current timeline. Maybe he runs into people who he never thought he would that finally understand what he was back then. There's a number of ways to do it though. But that's the timeline of events of how I would tell it. That paragraph probably reads like a giant mess cuz I'm on my phone but yea. You can have all the stuff with Shaq in there, and Phil, and Dr Buss, and his wife and kids, and possibly Colorado, his ups and downs winning and losing, the air balls at the start. There's some incredible drama in there
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject:

evetssteve10 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
999 wrote:

Really?!

-Growing up in Italy
-Shaq vs Kobe
-Colorado
-Black Mamba
-China Fandom
-Olympics

the list goes on...

Man!!!! You're a tough one.

The way I would tell the story is start it about 15 games before the "Achilles" game. He's trying with all his might to turn this season around and he makes the promise that he made to make the playoffs and it ends in a montage of their epic comeback and moving up the board and then we see the game where he literally gives everything and tears his Achilles.

and then the story starts present day during the rehab process during his final season and he is doing interviews and talking to old rivals and friends and it goes back in time a lot and that's how we get the old part of his career in the story and then we are going through the final season with him and he's depressed that he will never have a good ending to his legacy and then it leads up to "the final game".

But all of the flashback stuff to his earlier days would have to tie into the current timeline. Maybe he runs into people who he never thought he would that finally understand what he was back then. There's a number of ways to do it though. But that's the timeline of events of how I would tell it. That paragraph probably reads like a giant mess cuz I'm on my phone but yea. You can have all the stuff with Shaq in there, and Phil, and Dr Buss, and his wife and kids, and possibly Colorado, his ups and downs winning and losing, the air balls at the start. There's some incredible drama in there

I don't think the framing would work -- a rich, famous, successful guy worried about his "legacy" isn't exactly gripping drama. I get that the Kobe fan club would love this, but I don't think there's enough there to interest enough people who aren't hardcore Kobe/basketball fans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: