Anyone Else Starting To Forget What A Winning Lakers Team Looked Like?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
Oddly enough, whining fans exhibit excellence in their chosen lifestyle while the Lakers are losing or winning. Just check the board after any loss during a championship season.

I haven't forgotten 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010.

Good fans complain constantly. Great fans remember great moments and enjoy.

Perhaps you'd rather go for:

Nuggets, Suns, Cavaliers, Clippers, Jazz, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Magic, Grizzlies, Rapters or Hornets. All teams that have never won a championship.

Seven teams have won only 1 championship in their history. Only 1 team other than Celts and Lakers has 5 or more. IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY.

We have 16.

Get some perspective and stop the constant whining. "Oh, we'll never win again." "Oh, my world is crumbling!" "Oh, life is the worst ever"

Oh, I see, you're the tough one here. No one is losing overall perspective of the Lakers greatness. What is highly concerning is the past 3 years, and the lack of apparent vision going forward.

I mean, we've all but looked forward to the 3rd Thursday in May for the past 3 seasons and the draft thereafter. Is that a path you want this great franchise to be on?

There will always be ups and downs. What's the overall picture?

The overall picture is still fuzzy.

Our coach is not respected. The FO is dysfunctional. The players on the team are unproven.

There is nothing to indicate that the overall picture will improve.

There is nothing to guarantee that Russell, Clarkson and Randle will develop into perennial all stars or that we will recruit talented players.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
Oddly enough, whining fans exhibit excellence in their chosen lifestyle while the Lakers are losing or winning. Just check the board after any loss during a championship season.

I haven't forgotten 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010.

Nuggets, Suns, Cavaliers, Clippers, Jazz, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Magic, Grizzlies, Rapters or Hornets. All teams that have never won a championship.

Seven teams have won only 1 championship in their history. Only 1 team other than Celts and Lakers has 5 or more. IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY.

We have 16.

Get some perspective and stop the constant whining. "Oh, we'll never win again." "Oh, my world is crumbling!" "Oh, life is the worst ever"

Oh, I see, you're the tough one here. No one is losing overall perspective of the Lakers greatness. What is highly concerning is the past 3 years, and the lack of apparent vision going forward.

I mean, we've all but looked forward to the 3rd Thursday in May for the past 3 seasons and the draft thereafter. Is that a path you want this great franchise to be on?

Our coach is not respected. The FO is dysfunctional. The players on the team are unproven it will make things a lot easier.

There is nothing to guarantee that Russell, Clarkson and Randle will develop into perennial all stars or that we will recruit talented players.

Management needs to simply decide what direction they want to head this summer. It will make things a lot easier.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:

We have 16.

Our coach is not respected. The FO is dysfunctional. The players on the team are unproven.

Try expanding your overall picture beyond this moment. This is easily the darkest moment in 60 years. I'm just sayin' . . . . there have been some great moments. Great fans do not despair. Great fans do not threaten, "I'm going somewhere else." Great fans suffer and yet remember with joy great moments. Great fans have perspective. Great fans do not forget. REMEMBER!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

We won a ring only 6 years ago
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Try expanding your overall picture beyond this moment. This is easily the darkest moment in 60 years. I'm just sayin' . . . . there have been some great moments. Great fans do not despair. Great fans do not threaten, "I'm going somewhere else." Great fans suffer and yet remember with joy great moments. Great fans have perspective. Great fans do not forget. REMEMBER!

I get that, and I use this argument with my Knicks friends who ironically mock the Lakers when we won a ring 6 years ago; meanwhile they are 40+ years and counting.

However, the other side of your argument is that because we have seen such greatness from this team, and a great product on the court, it is very surprising and disturbing to see what's been put out there the past 3 years. Without the cover of the Kobe Farewell Tour, what is the excuse next year?

I will be disappointed if next year is the equivalent of watching the team bleed out so Jeannie can bring in her regime in 2017 (not making any judgments on whether that's better or worse, but saying 2016 will assuredly be sacrificed).
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

I WANNA KNOW WHAT WINNING IS!
I WANT YOU TO SHOW MEEEEEEEEE!

!...
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

The last time I was even confident about the Lakers was the offseason that saw them land Steve Nash and Dwight Howard. So much for that...
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

Funny enough, I didn't think i forgot what winning felt like UNTIL Kobe's last game. the excitement from that game made me realize that I actually did forgot what it was like to be a winning team. so sad. this needs to change =\
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

It's not always bad to be in last place. Here's some things we can focus on:

1.) We tried hard

2.) We're still dear firends
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

I'm going to fire up my 2010 Blu Ray commemorative edition. Felt like at that time, no one could stop us.

Now, I feel like the team just can't get off the floor. Just paralyzed.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

It's been so long since we have had a meaningful game which I was excited and nervous about
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject:

I originally posted this yesterday b/f the great Prince passed away today:

Quote:
If Byron returns this is just too much to stomach. I'm starting to forget what winning felt like. I guess this is what it feels when doves cry (Artist formerly known as Prince voice).

#RIPrince.

japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I get that, and I use this argument with my Knicks friends who ironically mock the Lakers when we won a ring 6 years ago; meanwhile they are 40+ years and counting.

However, the other side of your argument is that because we have seen such greatness from this team, and a great product on the court, it is very surprising and disturbing to see what's been put out there the past 3 years. Without the cover of the Kobe Farewell Tour, what is the excuse next year?

I will be disappointed if next year is the equivalent of watching the team bleed out so Jeannie can bring in her regime in 2017 (not making any judgments on whether that's better or worse, but saying 2016 will assuredly be sacrificed).

Fair enough. Who's not disappointed with losing. But, again I say in my best Winston Churchill impression, "Nevah forget!"
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

If BS stays, we could get a good lock plenty of L's....
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

No. Kinda hard to with as much success the lakers have had over the last 30 years.
idrinkhaterade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
laker4life wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:

We have 16.

i'm not sure how you made it through lakers basketball between 2003-2009, a 6 year time span. Or 89-00, an 11-year time span without a championship.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The last memories of the lakers being on top is game 7 from 2010. Crazy how far we are from that mountain top.

6 years isn't even that long. Shows how spoiled the Lakers franchise have made it for the fans. The gap between the last Showtime Lakers championship and the Shaq-Kobe championship was 12 years.....
Heck, lets look at the Warriors, they had a 40 year gap between championships.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The last memories of the lakers being on top is game 7 from 2010. Crazy how far we are from that mountain top.

6 years isn't even that long. Shows how spoiled the Lakers franchise have made it for the fans. The gap between the last Showtime Lakers championship and the Shaq-Kobe championship was 12 years.....
Heck, lets look at the Warriors, they had a 40 year gap between championships.

Bulls going on 18 years.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't think people would be complaining about 6 years if this were a playoff team on the upswing. If it's been 6 years since the last title and now you're at 17 wins, maybe it's time to complain?
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject:

If the Buss brats could stop the public sibling rivalry maybe we could focus on hiring a good coach, not letting quality free-agents slip away while we swing for the fences, and crap like that.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I don't think people would be complaining about 6 years if this were a playoff team on the upswing. If it's been 6 years since the last title and now you're at 17 wins, maybe it's time to complain?

Bingo

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject:

You tube
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject:

I haven't forgotten, but it is insane that we've basically been doormats in the Western Conference and the Association for 8 or 9 of the last 12 years.

It was 3 or 4 years of modest struggle between the Kareem + Magic and Shaq + Kobe eras, but this ish is ridiculous ...
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Not yet, but the door is closing. And interestingly, that's what keeps me watching as a laker fan: the memories of winning. Late showtime, the Lakeshow, adding Shaq and Kobe, the Phil Jackson era, Pau and Lamar. Dominating in the playoffs, or always being there. Epic series with Phoenix and San Antonio. I still tune in to parts of these playoff games today and imagine laker jerseys on TV and the announcers saying 'Bryant for three'.

But it won't last forever, soon these losing seasons will replace the winning ones. That's why if we're bad again next year I won't watch. Because i want to keep the good memories alive. Specially if Scott is still here, he's now got the stench of the worst laker coach, record wise. They should let him go to start the road to recovery.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Thank you! I'm as patient as anyone but I want to enjoy the season and be in the running in the conference. Is that too much to ask??? Apparently it is to some people!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: