RIP Prince
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject:

I knew that Prince wrote "Nothing Compares 2 U" for Sinead O'Connor, but I didn't know that he wrote "I Feel For You" for Chaka Khan, "Manic Monday" for The Bangles, and "Stand Back" for Stevie Nicks.

As for cause of death, the likely choice is that he OD'd.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

When "Lil Red Corvette" came out, I was dating a girl with a red corvette...

Other than that my favorite Prince song and only thing I have ever owned by him was the 12" version of "Controversy".
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Prince didn't have a history of using drugs but he was promiscuous.

Looking at the history of women he's dated aids doesn't seem likely. Misty Copeland, Carmen Electra, Kim Basinger, Sheena Easton to name a few.

That's not to say aids is not possible because it's not only contracted through sexual contact (not saying he had sex with aforementioned).

If I had to guess I'd lean more more towards a opiate over dose.

As it stands I'll wait for the coroner report.

You kidding right?
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Looking at the history of women he's dated aids doesn't seem likely. Misty Copeland, Carmen Electra, Kim Basinger, Sheena Easton to name a few.

That's not to say aids is not possible because it's not only contracted through sexual contact (not saying he had sex with aforementioned).

Vanity died a couple months before and there were AIDS rumors surrounding her as well.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You kidding right?

To clarify, I mean hard drugs, e.g. heroin, meth and such.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He probably banged dudes.

That's disrespectful. May his spirit disturb your sleep tonight.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Vanity died a couple months before and there were AIDS rumors surrounding her as well.

They were rumors. I couldn't get the wiki to print. This is a excerpt.
Quote:

Due to her kidney problems which were caused by years of drug use while she worked as a performer, she had to undergo peritoneal dialysis five times a day (each session was 20 minutes long). She suffered from sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis, a rare complication of a peritoneal dialysis, and died in a Fremont, California, hospital on February 15, 2016, from renal failure. She was 57 years old. Prince Rogers Nelson died two months later on April 21, 2016 in Chanhassen, Minnesota.

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Great Prince tribute on SNL right now!
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject:

[quote="lakersken80"]http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/22/prince-death-investigation-carver-county-sheriff/

Quote:
A rep for the Medical Examiner's Office said the autopsy was complete, but they will not release any results until toxicology testing is also complete ... and that could take several weeks.

We broke the story ... Prince had been to his local Walgreens 4 times in the week before his death -- and had been treated for a Percocet OD in Moline, IL last week. When asked if he knew of any medications Prince was taking ...the Sheriff said he "would not confirm."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/22/prince-death-investigation-carver-county-sheriff/#ixzz46az30uVR

Wonder if Prince would still be here with us if he had used medical marijuana to treat his pain instead of prescription drugs....[/quote

Prince could have smoked all the marijuana he wanted. It's not like he would have gotten arrested for it. However, marijuana is a very weak drug compared to prescription painkillers like percoset and oxycontin. If you get hooked on those, it's deadly. There's no coming out of it (at least not easily).

And a 57 year old, with a history of drug abuse - and maybe AIDS who knows - it's not really a surprise if they die. His body could probably taken the drug use when he was in his 20s and 30s. But if you still take that stuff when you are 57 you are asking for trouble.

I don't understand how these bands tour with the schedules they do without the artists using drugs to keep them going though. It's like PEDs for musicians.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/22/prince-death-investigation-carver-county-sheriff/

Quote:
A rep for the Medical Examiner's Office said the autopsy was complete, but they will not release any results until toxicology testing is also complete ... and that could take several weeks.

We broke the story ... Prince had been to his local Walgreens 4 times in the week before his death -- and had been treated for a Percocet OD in Moline, IL last week. When asked if he knew of any medications Prince was taking ...the Sheriff said he "would not confirm."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/22/prince-death-investigation-carver-county-sheriff/#ixzz46az30uVR

Wonder if Prince would still be here with us if he had used medical marijuana to treat his pain instead of prescription drugs....

Prince could have smoked all the marijuana he wanted. It's not like he would have gotten arrested for it. However, marijuana is a very weak drug compared to prescription painkillers like percoset and oxycontin. If you get hooked on those, it's deadly. There's no coming out of it (at least not easily).

And a 57 year old, with a history of drug abuse - and maybe AIDS who knows - it's not really a surprise if they die. His body could probably taken the drug use when he was in his 20s and 30s. But if you still take that stuff when you are 57 you are asking for trouble.

I don't understand how these bands tour with the schedules they do without the artists using drugs to keep them going though. It's like PEDs for musicians.

Yes, you are correct. I'm sure his body built a tolerance to the prescription drugs over time, but he probably also developed a dependency that couldn't shake off. I'm sure the drugs helped a lot after his hip surgery in 2010 but over time they eventually became a detriment to his overall health as he developed an addiction to it.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I have a strong feeling he passed away due to pulmonary causes, not drugs or AIDS.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
I have a strong feeling he passed away due to pulmonary causes, not drugs or AIDS.

I think he died from a prescription drug OD.

CDC: Prescription Drugs Kill More Than Illegal Drugs; Teens at High Risk

LINK

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:

Most likely the combination of drugs and health. I mean he was rushed to a hospital for a "save shot" last week, which indicates an overdose situation.

We'll see what the toxology report says, but I'm guessing that drugs played some role, if not being the direct cause of death.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
GoldenChild wrote:

Most likely the combination of drugs and health. I mean he was rushed to a hospital for a "save shot" last week, which indicates an overdose situation.

We'll see what the toxology report says, but I'm guessing that drugs played some role, if not being the direct cause of death.

Regardless, the whole thing seemed bizarre. A guy like Prince shouldn't drop dead in his elevator out of the blue. There has to be a darker cause for that, whether major or minor. I too am leaning towards drugs/painkillers as a significant factor. I just hope the Prince camp don't hide or distort any of the details. The fans who voraciously supported this man throughout his entire career deserve to know the truth.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
GoldenChild wrote:

Regardless, the whole thing seemed bizarre. A guy like Prince shouldn't drop dead in his elevator out of the blue. There has to be a darker cause for that, whether major or minor. I too am leaning towards drugs/painkillers as a significant factor. I just hope the Prince camp don't hide or distort any of the details. The fans who voraciously supported this man throughout his entire career deserve to know the truth.

When The Legend Sells Better Than The Truth, Print The Legend.

JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

NO. She had kidney failure for years and was on dialysis for years. Dialysis over a long period of time causes other health problems. She also had a kidney transplant and wouldn't have been eligible if she was HIV positive.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

NO. She had kidney failure for years and was on dialysis for years. Dialysis over a long period of time causes other health problems. She also had a kidney transplant and wouldn't have been eligible if she was HIV positive.

I posted that above. I didn't know she had a transplant. Natalie Cole had a transplant, also because of drug abuse. Her cause of death was listed as congestive heart failure.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Just realized that Prince put out his first official release in 1978, the year Kobe Bryant was born. And passed away in 2016, the year Kobe retired from basketball. Weird.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Apparently he had a pretty bad pill habit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3555292/Prince-s-former-drug-dealer-reveals-extent-addiction.html

Probably what did him in.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Surprised to read he was cremated. Any word of what happened to the ashes?

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject:

If he was battling addiction, that is no fun and I feel for him.

I was hoping that wasn't the case but to die at 57 for no obvious reason and of course it raises the question.

No matter if he had a drug issue or not, it doesn't take away anything (to me at least) as far as his music, performances or legacy.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Prince’s $10 Million Paisley Park Estate To Be Turned Into The ‘Next Graceland,’ His Family Confirms

LINK

Prince didn't leave a will. I hope this doesn't turn into a feeding frenzy chasing the almighty dollar.
Quote:
It’s also unknown who will inherit the property, along with Prince’s estimated $300 million estate. Prince’s sister Tyka Nelson claimed this week that her brother did not leave a will. If true, his estate will likely be equally divided among Nelson and his five half-siblings.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

^^^^Magic.*****
......Another in the long line of brilliance that left to early. Michael, Prince, Whitney, Luther Vandross, to name a few.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

^^^^Magic.*****
......Another in the long line of brilliance that left to early. Michael, Prince, Whitney, Luther Vandross, to name a few.

Watching it again. Thought occurred to me that, in all forms of rock/R&B/soul and even some pop, punk, etc, the Telecaster might even be more frequently wielded musicians than its cousin, the Strat. Jeff Lynne is also playing one in the vid. I read that Prince didn't have a Fender model, but a rarer Hohner model with a short-lived production run due to copyright and design ownership issues, but he had that (with at least one matching backup) since the 70s. There's a company that makes a reproduction in flame maple with the leopard pickguard called The Prinz. If you think of that Telecaster body, Prince was one of the first guys who comes to mind who played one (along with Bruce). Maybe the most ubiquitous guitar in music if not the Stratocaster and Prince was perhaps the most notable player. Beyond that, standing out at all as a guitarist in the 80s with Eddie Van Halen in the mix is an impressive feat, having your own distinctive style.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: