RIP Prince
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

^^^^Magic.*****
......Another in the long line of brilliance that left to early. Michael, Prince, Whitney, Luther Vandross, to name a few.

Watching it again. Thought occurred to me that, in all forms of rock/R&B/soul and even some pop, punk, etc, the Telecaster might even be more frequently wielded musicians than its cousin, the Strat. Jeff Lynne is also playing one in the vid. I read that Prince didn't have a Fender model, but a rarer Hohner model with a short-lived production run due to copyright and design ownership issues, but he had that (with at least one matching backup) since the 70s. There's a company that makes a reproduction in flame maple with the leopard pickguard called The Prinz. If you think of that Telecaster body, Prince was one of the first guys who comes to mind who played one (along with Bruce). Maybe the most ubiquitous guitar in music if not the Stratocaster and Prince was perhaps the most notable player. Beyond that, standing out at all as a guitarist in the 80s with Eddie Van Halen in the mix is an impressive feat, having your own distinctive style.

Fender's are my favorite and my '64 reissue Tele is dope. Especially playing through my Dad's vintage '64 Fender Concert amp. So brutally warm was that tone mixed with the thinner Tele sound (compared to the Strat), after every show, someone would always approach me to ask what effects I was using and I'd point to the guitar amp combo and my fingers LOL.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

^^^^Magic.*****
......Another in the long line of brilliance that left to early. Michael, Prince, Whitney, Luther Vandross, to name a few.

Watching it again. Thought occurred to me that, in all forms of rock/R&B/soul and even some pop, punk, etc, the Telecaster might even be more frequently wielded musicians than its cousin, the Strat. Jeff Lynne is also playing one in the vid. I read that Prince didn't have a Fender model, but a rarer Hohner model with a short-lived production run due to copyright and design ownership issues, but he had that (with at least one matching backup) since the 70s. There's a company that makes a reproduction in flame maple with the leopard pickguard called The Prinz. If you think of that Telecaster body, Prince was one of the first guys who comes to mind who played one (along with Bruce). Maybe the most ubiquitous guitar in music if not the Stratocaster and Prince was perhaps the most notable player. Beyond that, standing out at all as a guitarist in the 80s with Eddie Van Halen in the mix is an impressive feat, having your own distinctive style.

I love the telecaster, hands down the most versatile guitar out there. Very transparent, and allows for the player's "personality" to shine through (fave tele guys are Prince, Andy Summers and Richie Kotzen). Even though Prince was a prominent tele player, I always associated him with his more eclectic cloud and love symbol guitars. In latter years, Prince was also employing the strat quite a bit. Though his models had a weird configuration, instead of your standard 3 single coil setup, he was using one single and a humbucker (with the added whammy/tremelo system of course). Never played a strat like that, but I'd imagine it's a stark contrast from the "classic" setup. I think Prince liked a little bit more "beef" on his strat to match his tele tone. Check out this somewhat more recent performance of Red Corvette by P @ the Montreux Jazz, that strat tone is just godly...

Also a nice cover of The Stones' Honky Tonk Women featuring the famed 'cloud' guitar...

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

I love the telecaster, hands down the most versatile guitar out there. Very transparent, and allows for the player's "personality" to shine through (fave tele guys are Prince, Andy Summers and Richie Kotzen). Even though Prince was a prominent tele player, I always associated him with his more eclectic cloud and love symbol guitars. In latter years, Prince was also employing the strat quite a bit. Though his models had a weird configuration, instead of your standard 3 single coil setup, he was using one single and a humbucker (with the added whammy/tremelo system of course). Never played a strat like that, but I'd imagine it's a stark contrast from the "classic" setup. I think Prince liked a little bit more "beef" on his strat to match his tele tone. Check out this somewhat more recent performance of Red Corvette by P @ the Montreux Jazz, that strat tone is just godly...

Also a nice cover of The Stones' Honky Tonk Women featuring the famed 'cloud' guitar...

Interesting. Don't think I recall ever seeing Prince play a Strat. A guitar thread for the players on LG would be cool. I know there are a number of you lurking around judging by the Best Of thread about fave solos. You and Gimme-The-Rock should discuss your guitars and equipment, maybe share a pic of your fave axes (specs, color/pickguard, configs, techniques you like, etc)? Any vids of you or Gimme playing upped on YT?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Interesting. Don't think I recall ever seeing Prince play a Strat. A guitar thread for the players on LG would be cool. I know there are a number of you lurking around judging by the Best Of thread about fave solos. You and Gimme-The-Rock should discuss your guitars and equipment, maybe share a pic of your fave axes (specs, color/pickguard, configs, techniques you like, etc)? Any vids of you or Gimme playing upped on YT?

Nah man unfortunately I don't do the youtube gig, too lazy . (I'm also very sensitive to criticism) But I might get around to posting something just for you. I'm down to start Guitar Player Thread, maybe share a few tips and favorite guitars, amps, etc.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/02/health/prince-death-opioid-overdose/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/02/health/prince-death-opioid-overdose/

Fentanyl. That makes sense considering Jackson died from an anesthetic given for surgeries and requiring airway monitoring simply because he had trouble sleeping. A Navy SEAL named Jimmy Hatch lost his leg and career while looking for Bowe Bergdahl. He took an AK-47 round to the femur, shattering it so badly they had to amputate his leg. This was on CNN, they showed the picture of poor dude in the helicopter with a Fentanyl lollipop in his mouth and glum look on his face. He went down the rabbit hole of depression and all that there and a fellow SEAL had to help pull him away from the planning stages of suicidal ideation all because of that idiot, but I digress. Fentanyl is the drug used in that kind of situation.

If the doctor who gave that to Prince can justify it, so be it, but if I were a doctor, I would get out of the business of giving ER grade medications to pop singers who weigh a buck 50 soaking wet.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
The rumors are that Prince died of AIDS.

Interesting that this bit came out last week
http://blindgossip.com/?p=77843

Heard a couple of doctors talking about the info they released from his autopsy report and they said if he had an infectious disease it would have to been listed but it wasn't, so that means he didn't have AIDS, HIV, hepatitis, etc, despite the rumors.

Funny as it sounds, looks like TMZ is the go to source for true info. They never once jumped on the AIDS rumor bandwagon and always insisted it was drugs. On the other hand, The National Enquirer made tons of money pushing the dubious AIDS rumor and can't even be sued.

Last edited by OCWA on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

It's fairly obvious Prince had a abuse problem. Accept the obvious and let him RIP. I, for one, was pleased to find it not a hard drug habit e.g. heroin, cocaine, meth or something of a illegal form.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
It's fairly obvious Prince had a abuse problem. Accept the obvious and let him RIP. I, for one, was pleased to find it not a hard drug habit e.g. heroin, cocaine, meth or something of a illegal form.

Yep. Another chronic pain sufferer getting dependent on opiates. It's an epidemic. Very sad. RIP, Prince. GOAT.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

http://tinyurl.com/hzfezvz

Whitey Houston's personal effects and awards are on the auction block.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16516846/jim-irsay-indianaplis-colts-owner-buys-prince-yellow-cloud-guitar-137500-auction-beverly-hills

Quote:
Colts owner Jim Irsay buys Prince's 'Yellow Cloud' guitar for $137,500

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has purchased the "Yellow Cloud" electric guitar that Prince used in numerous concerts until the mid-1990s.

Irsay, a collector of musical instruments, paid $137,500 for the guitar at an auction in Beverly Hills on Saturday.

Heritage Auctions, which conducted the auction, says the solid-body guitar was a favorite of the late musician from the late 1980s to the mid-1990s.

Prince died on April 21 at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota of an accidental overdose of fentanyl.

Irsay also has instruments once owned by musicians Jerry Garcia of Grateful Dead, John Lennon and Ringo Starr of The Beatles and singer-songwriter Bob Dylan.

The auction also featured other Prince-related memorabilia.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: