Butler vs. Simmons/Ingram?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you rather see in a Lakers uniform next season?
Jimmy Butler, even if we'd have to include Clarkson
24%
 24%  [ 18 ]
The #2 pick: Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram
67%
 67%  [ 50 ]
Jimmy Butler, UNLESS we would have to include Clarkson. Then I'd keep the pick.
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 74

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Oh and don't forget gsw have Klay who is arguably the best sg in the NBA as their 3rd best player. Just some food for thought

Ill take klay behind harden and butler
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Oh and don't forget gsw have Klay who is arguably the best sg in the NBA as their 3rd best player. Just some food for thought

Why because he's playing in a smaller role than the other 2? Not as ball dominant? Plays within the system?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
epak wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Why because he's playing in a smaller role than the other 2? Not as ball dominant? Plays within the system?

Because j is before k
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Only on LG will people say that arguably the best SG in the league is the 3rd best player on a championship team.

Sounds good. Now I challenge you to put a championship team together where butler is the best player on the floor. Go ahead, I'll wait...

Lol because I've been arguing that you need Butler to be your best player to have a championship contender? No - he's a very feasible piece that pairs well with DLO and can lure a superstar.

The Lakers could field a team of

DLo
Butler
Durant
Randle
Biyombo

That team with additions could compete in the coming years.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
epak wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Because j is before k

Lol
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

ainsley wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Only on LG will people say that arguably the best SG in the league is the 3rd best player on a championship team.

I don't think its too farfetched to say he'd be the third best player on a championship team. You could make a case for Klay being the best SG in the league and its arguable that he's the third best player on the Warriors behind Steph and Dray.

I still think he's their 2nd best player. Offensively he takes a much greater scoring load off Steph than Draymond. Plus he's assigned to tougher perimeter player every night. Draymond has a value. However, I think he's overrated if you're calling him GS's 2nd best player.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Sounds good. Now I challenge you to put a championship team together where butler is the best player on the floor. Go ahead, I'll wait...

Lol because I've been arguing that you need Butler to be your best player to have a championship contender? No - he's a very feasible piece that pairs well with DLO and can lure a superstar.

DLo
Butler
Durant
Randle
Biyombo

There's only 1 basketball

I think there is a reason players like butler and harden couldn't shine until given a more all dominant role. You can only have so many ball dominant players on the same team IMO. I think 2 is the limit, 3 if one of them can find some success playing away from the ball.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Avery Bradley
Jimmy Butler
Jaw Crowder
Al Horford
Dwight Howard

Isaiah Thomas
Marcus Smart
Matt Barnes
Kelly Olynik
Jerebko

Plus the 5 picks they have. Celtics with Butler would be a title contender.

Longtime LG lurker.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
ainsley wrote:
ahaider wrote:

I don't think its too farfetched to say he'd be the third best player on a championship team. You could make a case for Klay being the best SG in the league and its arguable that he's the third best player on the Warriors behind Steph and Dray.

I still think he's their 2nd best player. Offensively he takes a much greater scoring load off Steph than Draymond. Plus he's assigned to tougher perimeter player every night. Draymond has a value. However, I think he's overrated if you're calling him GS's 2nd best player.

I think there's more to the game than scoring. Dramond impacts the game as much as steph does with his skillset and versatility.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Avery Bradley
Jimmy Butler
Jaw Crowder
Al Horford
Dwight Howard

Isaiah Thomas
Marcus Smart
Matt Barnes
Kelly Olynik
Jerebko

Not a bad team but you really think they can beat gsw? They may not get out of the east as long as lebron is there
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:

If Butler is that good, Bulls should have wanted to keep him as rebuilding cornerstone.

#1 or #2 for butler? No Way! #3+JL for butler? No way! I doubtl Celtics willing to give up #5+ 2 starters for Butler.

Our 1 or 2 is set with Dlo and 4 is set with Randle. Our 3 could be set with Simons or Ingrim. Plus JC and Nance off the bench, we have a really good young core already.

I would try #3 for Butler and their first round pick. Or I would prefer to add talent via FA even it means waiting for one more year.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The last time we had to rebuild (between Magic and Shaq) we had some good and popular draft picks (Jones, Van Exel, Lynch, Peeler) that were fun to watch. However, by the time we were ready to compete, not a one was on our roster.

They were NOT top 2 potential also. Last time we drafted at the top, Magic and Worthy.. we did pretty well.

There's no pattern here dude. No to Butler. Swing for the fences and hope that Simmons or Ingram will be studs. But after that.. #3? Now we can talk Butler.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject:

ainsley wrote:
Butler is a nice piece, but not a potential franchise player like Simmons or Ingram. The only two situations I'd trade the pick for him are:

1) It would guarantee us Durant or another superstar in the future

2) He'd be the last piece to put us into contention. Giving up the pick + Clarkson might make us better in the short term, but not enough to make the playoffs

Wow, common sense around here. This is why I fear Jimmy Buss's self imposed timeline. I feel he has friends on this board too planting seeds.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Avery Bradley
Jimmy Butler
Jaw Crowder
Al Horford
Dwight Howard

Isaiah Thomas
Marcus Smart
Matt Barnes
Kelly Olynik
Jerebko

Not a bad team but you really think they can beat gsw? They may not get out of the east as long as lebron is there

Ah yes. The Poorly Constructed Super Team... Shades of the 2013 Lakers, the 2014 Nets, the 2011 Knicks, and the 2001 Blazers. It works well in other sports too like the 2015 Padres and the 1992 Mets to name a few! And let's not forget. Dwight is already a champion. He said so himself!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject:

What's interesting is that both sides are so vehemently supportive of their side

That usually means neither is a good option
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject:

how bout we get this stupid draft pick first

hmmm mmmmmmmm?
Power Gasol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject:

Would only consider trading away JC if we get 3rd pick.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:
ainsley wrote:
ahaider wrote:

I think there's more to the game than scoring. Dramond impacts the game as much as steph does with his skillset and versatility.

That is patently false.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:
ainsley wrote:
ahaider wrote:

That is patently false.

Yup
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

This one is tough. The Lakers are lacking a bonafide wing player and Butler is that. If you get Butler does he play SG or SF? Further does his presence bring you something else like Durant or Whiteside? A team of 1st, 2nd & 3rd year players may not bring you those guys, but Butler may.

I like JC, but as 6th man. He is a true tweener and his defense isn't great. Can you start JC, JLO & Ingram together? What position does Ben Simmons play if you get him? Where does Randle fit with Simmons?

What I saw this past year is that Randle has some real talent. Not sure if he can play with Ben Simmons. So that is an interesting thing to address. Could you trade Randle/JC for Butler and then draft Simmons? That would depend on what you think of Randle and Simmons.

Ultimately some of this depends on position. If you get #1 Ingram is a SF and fits right in with the current team. If you get #2 and Ingram goes first, it gets interesting. If you get #3 is there anyone you want at 3?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:

What I saw this past year is that Randle has some real talent. Not sure if he can play with Ben Simmons. So that is an interesting thing to address. Could you trade Randle/JC for Butler and then draft Simmons? That would depend on what you think of Randle and Simmons.

I wonder how big of a gap there is when it comes do their work ethic/drive/competitiveness? Randle seems to have it, that's for sure.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject:

So hard to have this conversation when Byron is still coach and we don't have a top 3 pick.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Butler is 3rd option on a championship team. No thanks if rather continue to collect assets

I'll take it. So, Lakers trade the top 3 pick, jordan clarkson and fillers for Butler. Than, Durant signs and Whiteside or Horford signs.

Whiteside/Horford
Randle
Durant
Butler
Russell

That team is in the playoffs next year. Butler is a rare player in the league. He is a 20 point scorer who can D up. They do not make those players very often.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

So those who think butler is not a superstar and therefore we shouldn't trade for him, would you trade for klay? He's not a superstar but has shown how instrumental he is.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
ahaider wrote:

DLo
Butler
Durant
Randle
Biyombo

There's only 1 basketball

I think there is a reason players like butler and harden couldn't shine until given a more all dominant role. You can only have so many ball dominant players on the same team IMO. I think 2 is the limit, 3 if one of them can find some success playing away from the ball.

There's plenty of minutes in a game for everyone to get their shots off. It's not like D'angelo and Randle are high volume shooters. Any shooting guard or small forward with high scoring ability is going to have the ball in their hands. Curry, Thompson, Irving, Lebron, Harden aren't critiqued for high shot attempts. It's an inconsistent argument you're using for Jimmy.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: