Thank you Byron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
I.....just can't do it. Not yet. Maybe in a few million years.

Your sig is weird. Why are we angry at Worthy now?

Maybe for consistently and illogically protecting Byron as he was damaging the franchise. I get it that you are boys; but the lengths Worthy went ot excuse Byron's clear incompetence was absurd.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Byron endured the long road of coaching failure his last five years as his career tailspinned. Kudos to him for not lashing out and at least treating most everyone equally and avoiding playing favorites with the youngsters. He could have been much more arrogant the whole time and he wasn't until the recent quote directed at his critics.

Would be poetic justice if he took Worthy's job part-time..maybe James knew what he was doing this whole time with his overly supportive postgame commentary.

Everything you are crediting Byron for not doing, He did! And he did it alot! He played favorites, he lashed out by throwing everyone else under the bus, etc.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
Countless lies to the media, calling us Lakers' fans dumb, compromising the development of our young talent for some meaningless wins, perpetuating a meathead image and challenging fans to fights... Yeah, good riddance. Hit the road, a**hole.

Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Byron, for making me realize it can always get worse. You're the champion of falling up.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your Laker loyalty Byron and good luck in the future.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Can't really think of anything to thank Byron for but I'll save my Byron bashing for another thread.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
thank you number #4 for showtime in 80's. you were not right to coach for this team but you will always be a laker no matter what.

Unlike most others here I can't bring myself to bash a guy who contributed so much to our franchise back in the 80's. Scott was more than a "role player" IMO - he actually led the '88 championship team in PPG and minutes per game so tough to call a guy like that a "role player" even though he obviously didn't have Magic, Kareem, or James Worthy status. I'll always be grateful for his Showtime contributions and wish him tremendous success in the future...
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Byron for ripping the sense of entitlement and perhaps the confidence of our young players.
You were a heck of a jump shooter and finisher on the break, even if you did fade in the playoffs.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Osei wrote:
999 wrote:
thank you number #4 for showtime in 80's. you were not right to coach for this team but you will always be a laker no matter what.

Unlike most others here I can't bring myself to bash a guy who contributed so much to our franchise back in the 80's. Scott was more than a "role player" IMO - he actually led the '88 championship team in PPG and minutes per game so tough to call a guy like that a "role player" even though he obviously didn't have Magic, Kareem, or James Worthy status. I'll always be grateful for his Showtime contributions and wish him tremendous success in the future...

This generation has no respect for its elders or a sense of history. It's really sickening!!!
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Osei wrote:
999 wrote:

This generation has no respect for its elders or a sense of history. It's really sickening!!!

You're not lying... you've even got people on here dissing Magic like he's trash just because they don't like what he has to say about the state of the franchise. No doubt in my mind Kobe will receive similar treatment years down the road if, for example, he takes a position with the Lakers and doesn't fare so well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Osei wrote:
999 wrote:

Hate Byron the Coach.

Love Byron from Showtime.

Is it that difficult?
KG24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

Thank you Byron, for the stability and standards you set for the young team. We could have hire Pat Riley and we would have had a losing season. I know you could have won more games, but it is obvious that the direction was to have a chance at the number 3 pick.

What good would it have done to when 32 games? You are a class act, thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

KG24 wrote:
Thank you Byron, for the stability and standards you set for the young team. We could have hire Pat Riley and we would have had a losing season. I know you could have won more games, but it is obvious that the direction was to have a chance at the number 3 pick.

What good would it have done to when 32 games? You are a class act, thank you.

Because I love Byron the player I'd love to believe there's some truth to the good soldier theory. It's hard to support when you look at his actions though. I don't think stability is achieved by having different sets of standards for different players.

Since Byron is all about being a man here's some truth for him:

Byron, you had an impossible job but you didn't do it very well. Hopefully you can take something positive away from the experience that will help you improve as a coach and have some fond experiences of your time in your dream job. Best of luck to you in the future!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Osei wrote:
999 wrote:

pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

Byron the coach was awful and after Magic, Worthy and the rest of the ole showtime boys ripped MDA, they refused to criticize anything Byron did wrong.

Byron and the showtime crew all placed blame on players and lack of talent rather than the source of the problem Byron himself, team showed no growth and had no direction all that is a sign of terrible coaching

Loved all the Showtime guys as players and they all seem to be good guys, but Byron as coach and all the other lack of true analysis on Byron was shameful and terrible

I can seperate the two and glad I can go back to liking the ole Showtime crew because bottom line as Lakers fans should be what is best for the team we love and no one can convince me Byron being coach for one second longer was what is best for the Lakers going forward
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

What was Magic going to say, that Byron sucked? Magic also sucked as a coach, it would border on hypocritical to call his former peer and teammate out. I don't think it mattered anyway, as anyone level-headed realized that Byron was finished, the only question remained was the timing.

On that note, Magic was also a wonderful player but sucked as a coach. I seems that many effective coaches were in fact mediocre players. Perhaps it has to do with having limited gifts (lack of height, athleticism, skills, etc.). When you're limited, you need to develop the mental aspect of the game to survive. That mental aspect probably carries over to coaching.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
Countless lies to the media, calling us Lakers' fans dumb, compromising the development of our young talent for some meaningless wins, perpetuating a meathead image and challenging fans to fights... Yeah, good riddance. Hit the road, a**hole.

It's true the majority of Laker fans and sports fans are dumb. It's easy to criticize when you're on the other side and have no idea of what's really happening, and what it takes to coach. Particularly coach a team with absolutely no talent. Byron was a rag for the Lakers and they used him to fail. About the only thing he got out of this was a nice pay check but otherwise he was destined to fail from the start.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

Yes byron had two of the worst seasons ever in lakers history on top of that frustrated everyone including me with the lack of improvement. However, he was the fall back guy who really had nothing to work with. With Kobe on his last legs and a trio of essentially rookies to develope into a time crunched contending machine. He was literally setup for failure. You were loved as a laker player and there was a bit of improvement when it came to our young bucks. Siyonara.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

Thank goodness we won't have a 3rd season of Byron to further expose his shortcomings.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

I'll thank Byron for allowing us to be distracted from the necessary rebuilding that had to take place. I'll also thank Byron for helping us land Russell. Lastly, I do think he's helped the young guys understand much more the professionalism and lore they need to have for the Lakers.

That said, the best place for Byron is on TWC Sportsnet. #REPLACEDAVEMILLER

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
BScottJumpShot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
He had a sweet looking jumper back in the day. #4.

LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Thank goodness we won't have a 3rd season of Byron to further expose his shortcomings.

No you will have Kevin Ollie or Luke Walton or any other coach to continue the losing streak next year. Do we have a lottery pick next year?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

What I'm thanking him for is for properly executing the two tank seasons, resulting in Russell and whoever we get now. And that was what he was asked to do, and he did it well. Criticizing him for losing is nonsense considering this. He may have also been a good developer of young pg talent, which is his MO, but that remains to be seen.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

SMH at all of these comments... Some of you guys can't see the forest for the trees. And all you care about is winning--not the process. And that's a shame. Because there is beauty in the process, and in growth. Its like watching a baby go from crawling to walking... to running.

I can only assume from the comments that the VAST VAST majority of the posters on here just don't get it, so I'll make it simple for you guys (and gals):

The Lakers' primary objective over these past two years was to shed salary, ride Kobe off into the sunset, see a return on their investment in Kobe, & to keep their picks. Contrary to public belief, this is all CALCULATED. Not the result of incompetence.

Since that time, they've done all of that, with the false pretense to the public that they were somehow, still going to compete, yet never admitting that they were ... REBUILDING. With a capital R. Which is the problem. People aren't willing to accept that we're rebuilding, so they blame it all on incompetence of Jim. Incompetence of Mitch. Incompetence of Jeannie. Incompetence of Byron Scott. And Magic hasn't made it any better.

Byron Scott's job wasn't to win games... It was to LOSE them. Cuz although the Lakers would never admit it, the only way to keep the draft picks was to LOSE.

And although they may not have said it explicitly to Scott, the Lakers front office ENSURED we would lose by trotting out such LUMINARIES as Nick Young, Carlos Boozer, Roy Hibbert, Ryan Kelly, and Robert Sacre, to name a few. And 20 year old rookies. And rookies in general.

So, when you question the system Scott ran, or question his substitutions, or even when you bring up his "team statistics in Cleveland", realize that B Scott's job here & with Cleveland was the same: to develop toughness in young players, and acclimate them to NBA life. Not necessarily to win games. Conversely, two of the all-time greats, Phil Jackson and Pop, both HATE rookies. Because they know they could cost them their job. If either PJ or Pop were here, realize that Russell, Randle, Nance, Brown, Clarkson, and Huertas would be riding the end of the bench. And you'd all be complaining about THAT too.

Rookies don't win in the NBA. Its a fact. In fact, IF we don't get some LEGITIMATE veterans next year, we'll lose next year too. It's just part of the learning curve.

On the other hand, it's also a known fact that we don't have talent. What would you all say if we JUUSST made the playoffs as the #8 seed, with no picks to show for it? Would you rather have a playoff appearance than Julius Randle? #8 seed rather than D'Angelo Russell? Then you'd be saying how stupid Scott/Jim/Mitch/Jeannie was for letting us win so many games, and costing us our future.... lol

So, I'll be one of the few... Thanks Byron Scott: you laid your neck on the line when the Laker Nation was at its worst. You sacrificed your reputation in a hopeless situation, to act as bridge between eras. And some us, albeit a few, RECOGNIZE THE REAL, and are thankful.

peace.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No you will have Kevin Ollie or Luke Walton or any other coach to continue the losing streak next year. Do we have a lottery pick next year?

Not like Byron did. No one can out tank that man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: