Is Luke Walton the right choice for the Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Luke Walton the Right Hire for the Lakers?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 173 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 219

Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about right hire hindsight being 20/20, but he'd absolutely land in the good hire category in the spectrum of coaching appointments.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Marc J. Spears ‏@MarcJSpearsESPN Oakland, CA
Warriors coach Steve Kerr said Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has called asking for permission to speak Luke Walton.Permission granted after series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlLc8IgNv4I
Kristen Ledlow sits down with Warriors' interim coach Luke Walton to talk about his success this season

Barack Obama on Luke Walton

Luke Walton breaks down challenges of an interim head coach

BballBreakdown interview

Luke Walton on the relevancy of the Triangle

Luke Walton Posterizes Turiaf
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Even if he struggles to begin with, the fans will be very patient with him and allow him to grow to be the kind of coach we all believe he can be and that's all that matters. One thing I would want Luke to do is hire high caliber assistants like Kerr did. This would be his first head coaching gig and he would need all the help he can get. I hope he keeps Mark Madsen tho, just keep him away from coaching summer league games lol

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I mean, Steve Kerr didn't coach 1 minute in his life yet won the championship with the Warriors.

Luke went 39-4, 2 years as assistant on the Warriors, did coaching at the DLeague level. Why do people think he can't coach when he's coached more than Kerr at comparable time periods?

Ageism
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject:

is there such a thing as "finding the right coach" for a team with so much cap space?

are we instant contenders if we hired spolstra, kerr, pop right now if we could?

Can't see Jim going for luke unless he's willingly inviting the pjax bait.

But is jeanie more against jim or against not having phil?

Is jim more against phil than stepping down?

does any of this affect Mitch from scheming right now and warming up the wand? thankfully no.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:

If the next coach can bring in 30 wins, he's done something our current coaches haven't for the past 3 seasons.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Quote:
Warriors coach Steve Kerr said Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has called asking for permission to speak Luke Walton.Permission granted after series

Kristen Ledlow sits down with Warriors' interim coach Luke Walton to talk about his success this season

BballBreakdown interview

good stuff. That Obama one though....
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Quote:

BballBreakdown interview

Good stuff!! Thank you!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure if he is, but I want him here so he can implement the same, or a similar, system to that of Golden State with our young players. I'm tired of seeing dlo waste his potential by trying to run a crappy system.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I'm not sure if he is, but I want him here so he can implement the same, or a similar, system to that of Golden State with our young players. I'm tired of seeing dlo waste his potential by trying to run a crappy system.

Ya theres a lot of it that he can implement here. All of the high pace PHX type pistol action works great with two guards who can handle and attack. And they run a lot of Spurs halfcourt stuff as a base offense, motion-weak, that can be implemented. We can run those two sets to death and to perfection.
And I just love that Luke is naturally an unselfish player and has that philosophy, and then seeing how much motion is deadly with the Warriors -- his offensive philosophy's/principles are A++. Zero question we would have a nice offense. I also know he'd get the most out of Randle's passing abilities , which would be big for our offense
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

Yes, he's the right move at the right time. However, if he decides to stay in GS, there's more qualified candidates that would be an upgrade over what we have to suffer through the last 3-4 years.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Ya theres a lot of it that he can implement here. All of the high pace PHX type pistol action works great with two guards who can handle and attack. And they run a lot of Spurs halfcourt stuff as a base offense, motion-weak, that can be implemented. We can run those two sets to death and to perfection.
And I just love that Luke is naturally an unselfish player and has that philosophy, and then seeing how much motion is deadly with the Warriors -- his offensive philosophy's/principles are A++. Zero question we would have a nice offense. I also know he'd get the most out of Randle's passing abilities , which would be big for our offense

Did you see the quote he said about Randle when he got injured his rookie year? Had me and anph's bodies READY lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Did you see the quote he said about Randle when he got injured his rookie year? Had me and anph's bodies READY lol

Oh my.

!...
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

Yes, do it mitch!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Oh my.

tis only natural.

But na 22 I didn't see it.. ..we all loved rookie randle.. bahaaha I'm just teasin'
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Oh my.

Just reporting FAX CD
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

We don't have a stretch 4. So I'm not sure how much of GS's offense Luke would be able to implement here. GS's offense has 4-5 floor spacers out to the 3pt line at all times.

I'm looking at you Randle and Nance! They need to take humongous leaps in terms of their shooting, if Luke is the plan. Neither one is a consistent mid-range shooter at this point. Let alone a legitimate 3pt threat.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

I don't also buy the notion that Luke will install a facsimile of the GSW model.

Remember he played his best basketball under the Triangle.

I see him as a flexible and non-rigid coach who will put in a little of this and that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Oh my.

tis only natural.

But na 22 I didn't see it.. ..we all loved rookie randle.. bahaaha I'm just teasin'

Here you go KiROE

22 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
BleedP&G wrote:
I forgot to add this quote in from when he just started with GSW and was assigned to scout the Lakers

Quote:
“I still find myself pulling for them when they're playing other teams,” said Walton, who was cognizant of their injury woes so far. “It's tough. It was sad to see the young fella [Julius Randle] go down. He looked promising.
latimes.com

One - he obviously still has loyalty to the Lakers

Two - given that he has worked closest with Draymond in GSW, his interest in Randle is pretty interesting. You have to believe if hired he is visiting Julius right away to discuss goals.

MY BAWDEE

DIS TEW MUCH!!!

Hire this man!!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't also buy the notion that Luke will install a facsimile of the GSW model.

I see him as a flexible and non-rigid coach who will put in a little of this and that.

Curse words like the bolded aren't welcome here at LG. Especially when used in a positive context!

Read the LG rules and guidelines Yinoma! You know better than this!

Phil Jackson is the devil and the offensive principles he believes in will bring about the end times. It's all in Revelations.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We don't have a stretch 4. So I'm not sure how much of GS's offense Luke would be able to implement here. GS's offense has 4-5 floor spacers out to the 3pt line at all times.

I'm looking at you Randle and Nance! They need to take humongous leaps in terms of their shooting, if Luke is the plan. Neither one is a consistent mid-range shooter at this point. Let alone a legitimate 3pt threat.

I still think you can implement a lot of it. Pistol and Spurs motion-weak are a lot of what they run. Those can def be ran with a non stretch 4. It will look different when we run it, it won't be as deadly without spacers(and all-time shooters w gravity) , but it still opens up lanes.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I still think you can implement a lot of it. Pistol and Spurs motion-weak are a lot of what they run. Those can def be ran with a non stretch 4. It will look different when we run it, it won't be as deadly without spacers(and all-time shooters w gravity) , but it still opens up lanes.

I get that. But lets not ignore the fact that Lamarcus Aldridge is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better midrange shooter than Randle or Nance at this point. And that catch and shoot ability is key in terms of their spacing. Even if it extends just short of the 3pt line, Aldridge's mid range game opens up spacing more than Randle and Nance would in the same situation...let alone GS (who has Draymond spacing things out to the 3pt line). Even Speights off the bench. All season long, his midrange shot has been deadly. And in the playoffs he's expanded his shooting touch to the 3pt line.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Curse words like the bolded aren't welcome here at LG. Especially when used in a positive context!

Read the LG rules and guidelines Yinoma! You know better than this!

Phil Jackson is the devil and the offensive principles he believes in will bring about the end times. It's all in Revelations.

After 2 years of Mr. Rigid, and the preceding years another Rigid coach in MDA, I want a coach who isn't married to a "system" or "way." I think Luke is that guy. Will take the best of many systems.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I get that. But lets not ignore the fact that Lamarcus Aldridge is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better midrange shooter than Randle or Nance at this point. And that catch and shoot ability is key in terms of their spacing. Even if it extends just short of the 3pt line, Aldridge's mid range game opens up spacing more than Randle and Nance would in the same situation...let alone GS (who has Draymond spacing things out to the 3pt line). Even Speights off the bench. All season long, his midrange shot has been deadly. And in the playoffs he's expanded his shooting touch to the 3pt line.

Duncan and Splitter for the past two years, bro.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: