Jeanie Buss (Live On The Heard) 10:30 am PT/ 1:30 ET
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
That's a good interview. How did she make a fool of herself?

It's Jeannie
She's blond.
She's pretty (for her age).
She's in love with Phil.
So obviously she has to always make a fool of herself.

I'm still awaiting response from those conspiracy theorists who kept saying Jeannie would order Byron to stay, just as she ordered all else, and to only screw the Lakers out, so that she can swoop in Phil Jackson.

The biggest lie in all of this is any idea that Jeannie wants to purposely hurt the Lakers. She may well be wrong in her ideas vs others, but she only wants what is best for the Lakers.

If we miss the playoffs this year, I don't see too many organizations that miss the playoffs 4 straight years who do not have some changes within their FO. You even look at the Warriors, there were some changes in their set up over the time AFTER Curry was drafted. If you keep missing the playoffs, you have to answer for that as a GM and president. 4 straight years is way too long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
K28 wrote:
That's a good interview. How did she make a fool of herself?

It's Jeannie
She's blond.
She's pretty (for her age).
She's in love with Phil.
So obviously she has to always make a fool of herself.

I'm still awaiting response from those conspiracy theorists who kept saying Jeannie would order Byron to stay, just as she ordered all else, and to only screw the Lakers out, so that she can swoop in Phil Jackson.

The biggest lie in all of this is any idea that Jeannie wants to purposely hurt the Lakers. She may well be wrong in her ideas vs others, but she only wants what is best for the Lakers.

If we miss the playoffs this year, I don't see too many organizations that miss the playoffs 4 straight years who do not have some changes within their FO. You even look at the Warriors, there were some changes in their set up over the time AFTER Curry was drafted. If you keep missing the playoffs, you have to answer for that as a GM and president. 4 straight years is way too long.

100% agree.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
My biggest takeway from the interview is that Jim and Mitch despise Phil and don't want him anywhere near the organization. Which is great because he's trying to force the triangle on players when everyone but him knows its outdated.

Whenever I see someone say this, I instantly know they don't know anything about the triangle.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
My biggest takeway from the interview is that Jim and Mitch despise Phil and don't want him anywhere near the organization. Which is great because he's trying to force the triangle on players when everyone but him knows its outdated.

Whenever I see someone say this, I instantly know they don't know anything about the triangle.

The triangle isn't the problem, it's the personnel. That's why Phil always wanted power over personnel decisions.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:

she avoided making putting a date and playoff spot on the Jim Buss timeline. Sounds like she just wants large improvement. Sounds like Jim keeps his job if we make the playoffs, maybe for just one more year, but ya.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

The triangle isn't the problem, it's the personnel. That's why Phil always wanted power over personnel decisions.

And now he has it, but things aren't working out that well.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yet you never could break it down when asked to do so.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The basketball team is not in shambles. Yes, the last three years have sucked, but we come out the other side with some good assets we would not otherwise have, very few bad contracts (and no large ones), more cap space than anyone else, a possible top 3 pick, a quality new coach, and an empty throne in LA. A lot of teams would kill for those shambles.

Sorry it is in shambles. Your team has progressively gotten worse in the last three years.

Look at the 76ers, they are in shambles. The Nets are in shambles. The Lakers are in shambles too.

The last three years have sucked and there is no indication that we are going to get better.

Same for the 76ers, Nets, Kings, etc.

Obviously things may changes in the blink of the eye but presently, we are in shambles. We have no coach. We are not sure if we are going to get our pick. Our FO has issues since Jim and Jeanie are not purportedly on the same page. There is no indication that Russell will be great. There are no indication that Clarkson and Randle will be developed. There is no indication that we will get a Free Agent.

We are in shambles.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

My dad said once Byron was fired that Jeanie would be on the radio within 24 hours to basically talk about what the Lakers aren't doing, and how her brother still has the deadline. After a season where she was more or less quiet, he predicted she'd 'suddenly' have a lot to say now that Byron's gotten fired.

Going to be real amusing to tell him about this interview once he gets home
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

venturalakersfan wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
That clown Jimbo started this whole mess. Going on the radio YEARS ago to call Phil out and then publicly announcing his self imposed deadline. This team has been atrocious with him as the head of basketball ops. The worst in franchise history. Put up or shut up time.

So the titles the team won with Jim as head of bball ops don't count?

I believe fans do recognize his contributions for some of the titles.

However, his contributions has been negated by his repeated failures over the last five years when he decided to go with Mike Brown.

As historians have said repeatedly, Rome was not destroyed in one day. It was multiple mistakes which eventually destroyed Rome.

The Lakers are the same. The Lakers are regarded as a premier franchise with an impeccable history. However, small mistakes progressively have led to the current situation with this organization.
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Remember folks, Jerry Buss is no longer the owner of the Lakers. The children of Jerry are. As in every professional franchise few have the foresight of their father in the operation of a successful team. We will see if the scenario of Phil Jackson/Jeanie Buss comes to pass. If it does we all know Phil will take over in spite of Jim and Mitch. So the upshot of my response is to wait it out. No matter how to slice it, we the fans have very little to do with the decisions of the ownership. If you don't like what happens don't go to the games. Remember the only viable vote you have is at the box office. Otherwise support the team in the best manner you can.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I've been critical of Jeannie.
But this was a good interview. She spoke well and didn't dog on our FO.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

On a forum where objective evidence is routinely dismissed in favor of one's own narrative? I'm going to waste time breaking the triangle down just so people can turn around and still spout their nonsense despite all the evidence to the contrary? No thanks. I've been on this forum for a decade, I know how things work. Every argument ends in an agree-to-disagree, or one party tires of the other or both just quit. No one concedes. People have their opinions, and those aren't really going to change no matter what. No matter what.

I'm going to have to pass on that one.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
akk7 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

On a forum where objective evidence is routinely dismissed in favor of one's own narrative? I'm going to waste time breaking the triangle down just so people can turn around and still spout their nonsense despite all the evidence to the contrary? No thanks. I've been on this forum for a decade, I know how things work. Every argument ends in an agree-to-disagree, or one party tires of the other or both just quit. No one concedes. People have their opinions, and those aren't really going to change no matter what. No matter what.

So why post on the forum, if you're not going to even post an argument? Better posting something contrary which sparks a debate, rather than just refuting the consensus and say "oh that's wrong" without going to any specific detail.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't really matter what she says. These threads all look identical regardless of the subject matter that sparks them.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Colin Cowherd: But there is a crisis moment for your organization. Back to back to back years it's been rebuilding. Now it's not Philadelphia, you've had Kobe. You've been certainly far more interesting than other rebuild jobs. There is a certain gravitas or glamour to the Lakers. You've also been very transparent about certain demands on your brother Jim Buss. When I said you were coming on today people weren't critical of you. They were critical of your brother. You've had a timeline. It's reaching close to the end of this timeline. Um...are you having discussions currently with changes at the top of this organization. You're a co-owner.

Jeanie:First of all the timeline is something my brother, he and I discussed in a family meeting (Colin: and it became public). And he's the one who made it public. And... I have no reason to think that he cannot be successful. In terms of putting together a winning team. They've. And when I say they, I mean Mitch Kupchak our GM and my brother Jim Buss who's head of basketball operations. They have wanted to have the flexibility of having a young core of players, draft picks...
(Colin: is that successful Jeanie though. Is record successful or growth?). (Jeanie sighs) (Colin: What is the line?)
If you look back at the longevity of my dad's career running the lakers. In 32 years, the Lakers only missed the playoffs twice. (Colin: Yes) Okay, and we had marquee players who played on the team... that weren't....yes Kobe was a first round draft pick...but he wasn't picked [by us]. He was traded to the Lakers. He wasn't drafted by the Lakers. Magic Johnson was drafted by the Lakers. So there's ways to put together teams that doesn't necessarily mean you have to have the number #1 pick. Every year for 3 years in a row.

Colin: But the audience listening to me today is going to say, 'Come on Jeanie. We know it's not successful unless they land um...a markedly greater free agent than....than.... maybe Durant is about the only one available'. Success being. There has to be a win/loss component to success right. Like if next year is 24 wins? Even though the teams better. Your audience won't say 'Jeanie's successful'.

Jeanie: (Laughs). I think its. I think you could dissect it so many different ways. And to me it's about winning and losing basketball games. (Colin: absolutely. That's my point). And it's pretty easy. Wins and losses are pretty straight forward. And that's what I asked. I've made clear to our FO. Is that we're going to be judged by wins and losses. It isn't about having a marquee star player and coming in last place. (Colin: Right). That is not what Lakers basketball is. Lakers basketball is winning basketball.

Colin: Do you have the power. Cause I know you've got the guts, and the opinion, and the history. Do you have the power? That the Laker fan driving around this morning. That if next year is 31 wins. And you don't see growth. To walk in and Jeanie Buss makes radical changes. Do you have the power?

Jeanie: Well...my brother has already said that that's. If he... he can't deliver. That he wound understand and step aside. I also have the power to make sure they have all the tools. That they need in order to put together a team that can compete.

Colin: And well, you've done that very well.

Jeanie: Well that's where I always have to ask myself. What is MY role in this. And I feel that my role is to give them the platform. Give them the tools. So I think we play in one of the best arena's in the country. We have 1 of the best partnerships in terms of broadcast. We broke ground last fall on a new headquarters that will triple the size of the practice space that the players have. (Colin: It's right around the corner from my house.) So there you go! I mean...I...I'm trying to set them up so they have everything that they need at their disposal. Whether it is through. Cap space where they can sign free agents. Or use that cap space to trade for players. This is now. We have to give them this opportunity to put together what they envision Lakers basketball is going forward. I will never dictate X's and O's. What kind of offense..

Colin: Do you have any say in the coaching search?

Jeanie: No. As a matter of fact, I didn't know they were gonna let Byron go. I was at a Memorial Service Sunday night for Garry Shandling the comedian. So I had powered off my phone. I came out of that around 10 pm. Turned my phone on and it literally. Blew up. It was vibrating with all the messages. I didn't know that . I was following along in the media. Feeling that they felt Byron had done a good job. So I Really didn't anticipate that a change like that was coming.

Colin: The Lakers are 2 fold. Operational, you deal with. Basketball operations you do not deal with. But you will ultimately have the power. Some have suggested, and I would say that in every corporation I've worked in there have been senior officials who are seen as almost consultants. I don't need them to be my boss. But I like smart people in the room. You have a long history as an organization and we know you're relationship with Phil Jackson. Is it possible as simply eyes and ears and experience and acumen that Phil could come back in any role. Is that possible? Yes or no?

Jeanie: First of all he's under contract with another team. So talking about him would kind of be tampering. He's signed a 5 year agreement. He is in New York. (Colin: What if he were available on the market?) I asked. Before he took a job, I asked my siblings if it would be possible for Phil to play a role with the Lakers. Because it would make me better at my job. (Colin: Sure) It would be somebody.... I would enjoy having an opportunity to work with the man I'm engaged to. (Colin: Certainly). And my brother made it clear. He and Mitch didn't need another voice in the front office. It wasn't really necessarily about Phil. It was that they didn't need ANY other voice in the front office. Jim and Mitch see basketball the same way. They have a vision of what they want to put together. They really don't need anymore input to make things cloudy.

Colin: Are Jim and Mitch....I strongly support Mitch Kupchak. I think he's shown a history of finding talent even in the 2nd round. Which can be dubious for the top GMs. Um. Are they a package deal? What if I say. I trust Mitch. Your brother I don't feel has the historical proof. Are they a package deal? Would you have to...could you severe it and keep 1. The other moves out.

Jeanie: My brother Jim is the executive in charge of basketball. So Mitch reports to Jimmy. So it's not about me. It really would be Jimmy's call.

Colin: Is it fair to say some Lakers fans are uncomfortable with that.

Jeanie: I think people need to give them an opportunity. They have everything that they've wanted in terms of flexibility going into this offseason. Lets watch what they put together! Lets give them that opportunity. They deserve that time to put together what they see as Lakers basketball.

Colin: But you would acknowledge that time is winding down.

Jeanie: You know. I think my brother made that clear.

Colin: 12 months? Is 12 months realistic? (Jeanie stammers) I'm pressing you because my audience will press me.

Jeanie: And that's okay. I have no reason to think that they can't show a major improvement from this last season. This last season was the worst in Lakers franchise history. There is nowhere to go but up! Now they have all the tools that a FO needs to make trades, sign free agents, hopefully we'll keep our draft pick in the lottery on May 17th. All Lakers fans send your good vibes for that!

I'm sure I'll never post something this long ever again.
Alot of loaded questions being asked to her by Cowherd.
Tried my best to edit out the "uh's, um's, and you know's".
If a sentence doesn't make sense, it's probably not a typo. That's is what talk radio looks like written out.
Bolded parts where I was happy she stood up for her brother, other siblings, and/or Mitch. Also like the Cleveland Cavs dig she threw in (3 #1 draft picks).

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Done with the Jeanie bs .... She is as much a problem as Jim is, if not more.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
That clown Jimbo started this whole mess. Going on the radio YEARS ago to call Phil out and then publicly announcing his self imposed deadline. This team has been atrocious with him as the head of basketball ops. The worst in franchise history. Put up or shut up time.

So the titles the team won with Jim as head of bball ops don't count?

I believe fans do recognize his contributions for some of the titles.

However, his contributions has been negated by his repeated failures over the last five years when he decided to go with Mike Brown.

As historians have said repeatedly, Rome was not destroyed in one day. It was multiple mistakes which eventually destroyed Rome.

The Lakers are the same. The Lakers are regarded as a premier franchise with an impeccable history. However, small mistakes progressively have led to the current situation with this organization.

Well you guys can give him credit for some titles, but I'm not. All he had was a title back then, but people have come out and said that he was never around. In fact, I've heard that employees didn't want him there because he acts like an entitled jacka**. I'm of the belief that Jimbo didn't really start the role his Daddy gave him until he passed away. Sure, he might have showed up sometimes and gave his opinion on a couple things here and there, but I think common sense should tell us that as long as Phil was there, Jimbo was not a factor.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that, Kikanga.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
My dad said once Byron was fired that Jeanie would be on the radio within 24 hours to basically talk about what the Lakers aren't doing, and how her brother still has the deadline. After a season where she was more or less quiet, he predicted she'd 'suddenly' have a lot to say now that Byron's gotten fired.

Going to be real amusing to tell him about this interview once he gets home

Will you mention that it wasn't anything like his prediction?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Jeanie is as much a problem as some others do. I think she's bright, plus she has a degree in Business if I'm not mistaken. Her issue seems to be that she's too sentimental and emotional, and as everyone else mentioned here she talks too much to the media.

The bigger problem is Jim. Whether he's too insecure or he has too much ego, his coaching hires have been problematic. Seemed like he didn't properly interview Mike Brown and MDA before hiring them. He kinda comes off as a hard luck guy who tries to act like he's a winner, when in reality he's incompetent, and he probably knows it deep down inside.

There just hasn't been any vision between them, which is where it must all start in any org. They probably were holding out hope until last year that Kobe could return at a high level, and they could make one last run by surrounding him with players like Melo. Hopefully now with Kobe gone there is a united vision and gameplan to execute it.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
akk7 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

So why post on the forum, if you're not going to even post an argument? Better posting something contrary which sparks a debate, rather than just refuting the consensus and say "oh that's wrong" without going to any specific detail.

Yeah. It makes no sense. Even if you aren't persuading the other person you are talking to, people on the fence can still glean stuff out of your arguments.

I'm not well-versed X's & O's, but I've read enough arguments between wolf and various other users (as well as chiming in with some questions) to know I stand against it, at least in the sense of how Phil wants it run in NY. But the point is I formed that opinion reading these sorts of discussions and finding one side more convincing than the other. If people who support the Triangle provided a strong rebuttal (whether they post one, link to an old post, or link to an article) I might be more OK with the return of the Tri (again, assuming it actually addressed my concerns). But I suppose it's easier to post some smug quips and then be on your merry way.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
Thanks for that, Kikanga.

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The Logo wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
akk7 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yeah. It makes no sense. Even if you aren't persuading the other person you are talking to, people on the fence can still glean stuff out of your arguments.

I'm not well-versed X's & O's, but I've read enough arguments between wolf and various other users (as well as chiming in with some questions) to know I stand against it, at least in the sense of how Phil wants it run in NY. But the point is I formed that opinion reading these sorts of discussions and finding one side more convincing than the other. If people who support the Triangle provided a strong rebuttal (whether they post one, link to an old post, or link to an article) I might be more OK with the return of the Tri (again, assuming it actually addressed my concerns). But I suppose it's easier to post some smug quips and then be on your merry way.

I'm not an expert on Xs and Os either, but isn't the triangle adaptable? Phil won rings playing an uptempo version of the triangle with the early 90s Bulls and, to a lesser extent, the 09 Lakers. By 2008 we weren't even running the triangle a whole lot, and we were looking for our share of early offense outside of it.

I think more highly of Phil than many others here seem to, but the fact that he's married to the triangle is a legit concern if he comes here. However, if we're only running the triangle when we don't have anything the first 7-8 seconds of the shot clock, and we're also running other halfcourt sets, I don't see the problem with the triangle as long as you adapt it to our personnel. Only problem I'd see is that it takes too long to learn, but then again if we're not exclusively running it then it's not as much of a problem.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm not exactly the biggest Jeannie fan but based on kikanga's transcript it seemed like a pretty good interview. She did a good job of not bashing Jim at every turn this time around which was nice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: