Skip Bayless Leaving ESPN at the End of August
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject:

I used to enjoy the show when it was called "Cold Pizza" and Woody Paige used to completely destroy Skip on a daily basis. The show eventually changed to First Take, but I've always wanted to see Woody on the show just to debate SAS. He was a guest on one episode and basically told SAS to shut up and that he talks to much. lol.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Personally I hated the show and whenever I saw it on I would change the channel. I can see why people would like it. His ridiculous views would get people fired up and into whatever he was saying. Skip is a really good professional troll.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Do you really believe a man who's been reporting on sports for over 40 years has no sports knowledge?

A couple years ago, there was an obscure sports channel in the Direct TV 400s that played reruns of Sports Century (the BSPN series circa 1998-2002 on important athletes). I transferred a bunch of them to dvd. Best one I ever saw was on the wrestler Dan Gable, what a life story. Also Albert Belle who was an acidic bastard, but some of his brushes with racist fans were unreal. It was BSPN's last quality program until the 30/30s, imo, but I digress...

Many of the most notorious asshats in sports media that we became more aware of as the 2000s went on had provided commentary for that series (Bayless, Simers, Plaschke, LeBatard, Woody Paige, Krikorian, etc). To a man, none of them used their current schticks. They all sounded and acted normal, halfway cogent, non-exaggerated. Reminded me of how Tom Heinsohn acted completely different on CBS than he does for the Celtic audience. What sports media needs to get rid of are the "acts" that these guys put on to get noticed. I agree with you that Bayless knows sports, but he's completely phony in a Holden Caufield sense of the term.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

He's click bait. That's all.wonder how aikman feels about him moving to FOX. Skip was the guy who started rumors years ago about Troy being gay
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Ive been in all the way from Skip vs Woody..

.SAS vs. Max would be outstanding
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Quote:
I agree with you that Bayless knows sports, but he's completely phony in a Holden Caufield sense of the term.

Skip and SAS were more a act than a sports show. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at their pre-show production meetings. They chose subjects to debate. I believe the debates were mostly staged.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Quote:
I agree with you that Bayless knows sports, but he's completely phony in a Holden Caufield sense of the term.

Skip and SAS were more a act than a sports show. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at their pre-show production meetings. They chose subjects to debate. I believe the debates were mostly staged.

FWIW, I think Wibon and K0rn-heiser riff off each other in a natural way, like two guys you believe sit there and yack and complain about sports to each other at the water cooler. Even if their points happen to suck, they still seem like they're pals/chums/buddies (like you and Huey Lewis).
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Do you really believe a man who's been reporting on sports for over 40 years has no sports knowledge?

A couple years ago, there was an obscure sports channel in the Direct TV 400s that played reruns of Sports Century (the BSPN series circa 1998-2002 on important athletes). I transferred a bunch of them to dvd. Best one I ever saw was on the wrestler Dan Gable, what a life story. Also Albert Belle who was an acidic bastard, but some of his brushes with racist fans were unreal. It was BSPN's last quality program until the 30/30s, imo, but I digress...

Many of the most notorious asshats in sports media that we became more aware of as the 2000s went on had provided commentary for that series (Bayless, Simers, Plaschke, LeBatard, Woody Paige, Krikorian, etc). To a man, none of them used their current schticks. They all sounded and acted normal, halfway cogent, non-exaggerated. Reminded me of how Tom Heinsohn acted completely different on CBS than he does for the Celtic audience. What sports media needs to get rid of are the "acts" that these guys put on to get noticed. I agree with you that Bayless knows sports, but he's completely phony in a Holden Caufield sense of the term.

These talk show sportscasters can often walk the fine line between entertainment and indecency. They'll make outlandish claims about certain star athletes for the sake of sensationalism, where it's clear what they're doing, just blatant headline hunting. Skip Bayless is exhibit A of this phenomena. Left field is the norm for this guy; to the point where it can be offensive to the viewer sometimes.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

http://thebiglead.com/2016/06/16/espn-first-take-max-kellerman-jorge-sedano-will-cain/

Quote:
These Are ESPN's Three Possibilities to Replace Skip Bayless on First Take

As the hourglass in Skip Bayless’s tenure at First Take dwindles to its final specs of sand, The Big Lead has learned that ESPN has whittled its succession plan down to three names: Max Kellerman, Jorge Sedano, and Will Cain. An ESPN spokesperson declined to comment.

Kellerman appears to be management’s first choice and the job is therefore his to turn down. However, Kellerman has good gigs – SportsNation with Michelle Beadle and Marcellus Wiley, a local radio show with Wiley, and HBO boxing (which is usually a quick to commute to Vegas) – in Los Angeles. Though he grew up on the East Coast, it goes without saying that the weather is nicer where he is now.

(One thing to keep an eye on is maybe First Take moves from Bristol to New York in a year or two? Filming in New York instead of Connecticut would presumably make the job more enticing for Kellerman, Stephen A., and many others.)

Furthermore, jumping to First Take from where he’s at is a little bit risky. Right this second, First Take is a higher profile property than SportsNation. However, SportsNation has a pretty well-defined viewership floor in the afternoon block of the main network. It’s not an absolute certainty that First Take maintains its entire audience on ESPN2 when Skip Bayless is not only gone, but programmed directly against it on FS1. (No, Bayless will not come close to competing with First Take’s metrics at least in the near term, but concern about him chipping away at the margins would be justified.)

If you watch ESPN with regularity, you know Stephen A. Smith is Everywhere. He’s embedded in all sorts of programming directly attached to the network’s core NBA and NFL coverage. While this is probably a net positive for First Take viewership because it boosts his Q Rating, it also means that a lot of the heavy lifting in show preparation falls on the co-host. This eventually grew onerous for Skip Bayless.

It’s been well-documented that ESPN is in Moneyball mode. The list of exits, whether for money or other reasons, includes Bayless, Keith Olbermann, Bill Simmons, Colin Cowherd, Mike Tirico, Jason Whitlock, and soon Chris Berman. Can the salary Kellerman would require to take the risk/reward and the climate downgrade to move back East mesh with Bristol’s budgetary constraints?

And so there’s a contingency plan. Jorge Sedano and Will Cain will both have what are essentially tryout dates opposite Stephen A. Smith in July. Smith will otherwise mostly be off the program in between Skip’s last date, which is either tomorrow or Monday pending NBA Finals results, and Labor Day; the show will air in the interim with a rotating cast of guest hosts. Richard Deitsch had Kellerman and Cain pegged as candidates the day ESPN announced Bayless was gone.

Currently, Sedano co-hosts a national ESPN radio show with Israel Gutierrez; he’s been appearing on SportsCenter a decent bit recently and has pinch hit on many of the network’s radio and television programs when regular hosts are out. Cain joined ESPN from CNN in March of last year, hosts the Will & Kate Show with Kate (bleep) on ESPN Radio on Sunday mornings, and has previously appeared on First Take and His & Hers.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject:

I have heard many times on the radio show that Kellermen does not want to move back to the east coast. He loves L.A as does his family. I doubt he's going to move back to co host the show. He's got good gigs in L.A.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Max is about getting those dollars and exposure, so a move to First Take wouldn't be shocking. But there is no way he could be as good on that show as he is on the radio with Marcellus. That's the best show on 710.
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Kellerman would smarten the show up a little, that's for sure. He's usually been reverential to SAS when he's come on his radio show. I'm sure that would change quickly if the two starting doing First Take together.

I wouldn't mind him and Wiley getting broken up because 710 needs a shakeup. Lebatard is by far the best thing on the station now, and he makes the local shows pale in comparison. Max and Marcellus has been 'meh' lately...Max is best when he has a foil who can really challenge him, but he hasn't had anyone like that since Brian Kenny was his cohost. Smith could definitely agitate him.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject:

Who?

Leaving what?
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject:

If I'm ESPN, I pay Kellerman whatever he wants to host it with Stephen A.

I listened to the show when the other guys were on it, and it was horrible. It's not accurate to say that I haven't heard of the other guys. I have, and they don't really do anything for me (to put it nicely). Max is the only guy with the personality/star-power that could replace the void left by Skip. Maybe they could pay him enough to where he could stop Sportsnation and M&M altogether.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

I wonder who'll be on tomorrow. Skip's supposed to be gone. Never have been a Kellerman fan.

Love him or hate him LeBron brought home the gold to Cleveland.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

Skip left the show today. I guess there'll be a number of co-hosts before a decision is made for a permanent replacement.

Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Skip's farewell

https://youtu.be/DvahsC_WgKI
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Love how he got kicked on way out
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Colin Cowherd is apparently still keeping tabs — or spying — on his former employers at ESPN.

Cowherd, who exited Bristol to take a gig at Fox Sports, says Max Kellerman will replace Skip Bayless as Stephen A. Smith's new partner on "First Take." Kellerman moving to "First Take" has already been the subject of speculation on a variety of media outlets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/cowherd-max-kellerman-leaving-sports-nation-article-1.2691206?utm_content=buffer9211e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=ebarrow+twitter
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

Max Kellerman is a highly intelligent guy and great debater but 1) won't be nearly as controversial with his opinions as Skip Bayless was (i.e., he won't troll for attention with contrarian opinions the way Skip did) which in many ways is a good thing but may negatively affect the show's ratings and 2) isn't overly knowledgeable about any sports other than boxing (although Skip wasn't overly knowledgeable about any sports other than maybe football)...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

Osei wrote:
Max Kellerman is a highly intelligent guy and great debater but 1) won't be nearly as controversial with his opinions as Skip Bayless was (i.e., he won't troll for attention with contrarian opinions the way Skip did) which in many ways is a good thing but may negatively affect the show's ratings and 2) isn't overly knowledgeable about any sports other than boxing (although Skip wasn't overly knowledgeable about any sports other than maybe football)...

Many fans sell Skip short. He has knowledge of many sports. His shtick belied his intelligence.

IMO Skip was a practiced contrarian. His stances made the show more interesting. SAS screaming and histrionics are his shtick. Take note of his demeanor when not on First Take.

They were the Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello of sports talk. Skips leaving is going to completely change the show. I vision a fall in rating for First Take.

I don't know much about Kellerman. I didn't watch the Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley show. The little I know of him comes from boxing. I don't see him and SAS sitting horses.

I look to see a totally different Skip Bayless on Fox Sports.

Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Osei wrote:

Many fans sell Skip short. He has knowledge of many sports. His shtick belied his intelligence.

IMO Skip was a practiced contrarian. His stances made the show more interesting. SAS screaming and histrionics are his shtick. Take note of his demeanor when not on First Take.

They were the Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello of sports talk. Skips leaving is going to completely change the show. I vision a fall in rating for First Take.

I don't know much about Kellerman. I didn't watch the Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley show. The little I know of him comes from boxing. I don't see him and SAS sitting horses.

I look to see a totally different Skip Bayless on Fox Sports.

Kellerman's strengths are boxing, baseball, and old school hip hop, but he's bright enough to debate any topic. He has great chemistry with Marcellus who is fine playing the sidekick.
T3R
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject:

Is Max Kellerman leaving ESPN 710 LA to go to the East Coast?

Max is the only reason I listen to 710 outside of Laker games.

Will he do via satellite for First Take, or is he leaving the LA radio market altogether?

I listened to Kelvin filling in for Max with Wiley the last several days, and it's been terrible unlistenable radio.

Can someone confirm? Ugh, I feel sick.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject:

If you don't think Skip is putting on an act, Stephen Colbert must've driven you crazy.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject:

T3R wrote:
Is Max Kellerman leaving ESPN 710 LA to go to the East Coast?

Max is the only reason I listen to 710 outside of Laker games.

Will he do via satellite for First Take, or is he leaving the LA radio market altogether?

I listened to Kelvin filling in for Max with Wiley the last several days, and it's been terrible unlistenable radio.

Can someone confirm? Ugh, I feel sick.

Seems like it...I never liked that show too much tbh. I definitely like Trudell and Thompson's show in the morning more. Don't have as much time to listen to shows though, since I started a new job.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: