How Confident are you that Lakers will Finally hire the right Coach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you honestly feel the Front Office will finally get the right coach?
Yes - Confident that 4th time will be the charm
60%
 60%  [ 63 ]
No - Afraid the Front Office will mess this up again
39%
 39%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 104

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject:

Coaching focus does not seem to be a strength for the FO. There are to many story tells out there.

Right now the Lakers are pretty much bare bones with some rookie talent, so there is lots to do.

I've read the lakers would look for a "recruiter coach". I'm not against getting a recruiter but not as a coach. They should get that level of talent into the front office and get a coach to coach. If the Lakers keep confusing their bench needs they will continue to drift from one coach to another...
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Coaching focus does not seem to be a strength for the FO. There are to many story tells out there.

Right now the Lakers are pretty much bare bones with some rookie talent, so there is lots to do.

I've read the lakers would look for a "recruiter coach". I'm not against getting a recruiter but not as a coach. They should get that level of talent into the front office and get a coach to coach. If the Lakers keep confusing their bench needs they will continue to drift from one coach to another...

The best coaches are always personality managers backed up by strong X & O assistants. That's a recruiter coach.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject:

They've made quite a few wrong choices for head coaches. But luckily enough for us, it's all worked out for us. We didn't get any passed their peak but max money free agents to sign with us. We've done really well in the draft. Kobe for the send off and the scoring records he deserves.

I have confidence that they have learned from their mistakes and they are willing to find a coach who would do well in the current NBA.

I'm not completely sold on Luke though, mostly because no one really knows what his philosophies are, but he's the hottest name out there right now, so you would think there is a legitimate reason for that. I would say a plus for him is he's high on phil's list, but so was Derek Fisher, and we know how that worked out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject:

4th time's the charm.

But to be honest, not having to deal with Kobe and the expectations surrounding same makes the coaching decision different this time.

MDA/Brown/Scott were brought in b/c they were perceived to be guys who could manage Kobe.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject:

They're going to get Luke. I have no idea how successful he will be, BUT he is the right choice at this moment in time. He checks many if not all the boxes for the team we "know" we have.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject:

The next coach they hire will be a great one.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
They've made quite a few wrong choices for head coaches. But luckily enough for us, it's all worked out for us. We didn't get any passed their peak but max money free agents to sign with us. We've done really well in the draft. Kobe for the send off and the scoring records he deserves.

I have confidence that they have learned from their mistakes and they are willing to find a coach who would do well in the current NBA.

I'm not completely sold on Luke though, mostly because no one really knows what his philosophies are, but he's the hottest name out there right now, so you would think there is a legitimate reason for that. I would say a plus for him is he's high on phil's list, but so was Derek Fisher, and we know how that worked out.

So was Kerr and we know how that worked out

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

Well, the poll disguises two hiring issues that need a little separation.

Today, the Lakers need to hire a coach to improve this team a lot, in terms of getting its next couple near term rosters to play well enough to make it into the playoffs and maybe win a series. That will make the joint at least a little bit attractive to top free agents. Call this stage the The Real Rebuild. Doing a hire that yields that result in two years would be a success for the front office.

Above and beyond that, the Lakers need to eventually find a coach capable of mounting a series of deep playoff charges with a championship caliber roster. This is not the type of hire required of the front office this month, though of course no one would whine if it were to develop that way.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject:

Ollie or BUST.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject:

Somewhat confident, because the names on the interview list, particularly the ones pundits claim are at the top of their list, are very sensible candidates.

Still I'm just somewhat confident. I think they're talking to the right candidates. It all hinges on whether the new coach can pull in good assistant coaches, successfully implement the systems used by GSW/SA, and have an ability to adapt to players strengths/weaknesses in the process. And of course manage personalities and put forward a convincing free agent pitch. Quite a list to consider when conducting an interview imo.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:

^ What he said. Particularly the first sentence.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: How Confident are you that Lakers will Finally hire the right Coach?

kaoss128 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Mike Brown
Mike D'Antoni
Byron Scott
???

I mean go back before that. The only right coach we've hired since Pat Riley is Phil Jackson.

Mike Dunleavy?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: How Confident are you that Lakers will Finally hire the right Coach?

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Mike Brown
Mike D'Antoni
Byron Scott
???

I mean go back before that. The only right coach we've hired since Pat Riley is Phil Jackson.

Mike Dunleavy?

Del Harris?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

Had a nightmare that Luke Walton asked the Lakers to give him until this weekend to decide, but before that day even came, Lakers announced that they hired Jeff Hornacek!

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

The Lakers last 3 coaching hires have been like my dating life. Pretty much a disaster but hopefully a setup for something great.

I voted Yes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:

The only bad hire was Byron. Brown brought some good things, MDA as well despite the players acting like 6-year olds with him.
R.J. From New Orleans
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm confident that Luke is the right hire.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Had a nightmare that Luke Walton asked the Lakers to give him until this weekend to decide, but before that day even came, Lakers announced that they hired Jeff Hornacek!

Horny is good coach. He ran a two headed guard lineup (think DLO and JC) in Pheonix before the FO screwed the pooch royally. He seriously over achieved given the roster. I wouldn't be mad if we hired Hornacek, although he isn't my first or second choice.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
The Lakers last 3 coaching hires have been like my dating life. Pretty much a disaster but hopefully a setup for something great.

I voted Yes

We are gonna hire Derek Fisher and you are gonna die alone!
JK of course.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

MDA wasn't that bad, and we did play well in that second half of the season until Kobe did his Achilles.

I absolutely loathed Mike Brown though.

Byron in all honesty, was tanking intentionally as per directive from upstairs. If we secure another top three pick in May lottery he's done his dues to Laker Nation.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject:

MDA was a good hire. The teams he inherited were overrated, injured and just sucked. Not giving him an extra year on his contract, or ever investing in a stretch 4 for his offense (too cheap to even pay Shawne Williams for a full season) was the mistake.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MDA was a good hire. The teams he inherited were overrated, injured and just sucked. Not giving him an extra year on his contract, or ever investing in a stretch 4 for his offense (too cheap to even pay Shawne Williams for a full season) was the mistake.
MDA was not a bad hire in a vacuum, people keep thinking it was a disaster because everyone thought Phil was coming back.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
MDA wasn't that bad, and we did play well in that second half of the season until Kobe did his Achilles.

Byron in all honesty, was tanking intentionally as per directive from upstairs. If we secure another top three pick in May lottery he's done his dues to Laker Nation.

Tanking when you have a coin flip's chance of keeping your pick isn't a good idea. That wasn't the goal this season, Byron is just that bad. This team should have won 8-9 more games.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:

Tanking when you have a coin flip's chance of keeping your pick isn't a good idea. That wasn't the goal this season, Byron is just that bad. This team should have won 8-9 more games.

There was no tank, at least not on his end. This was confirmed by him not meeting the win incentives in his contract.
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Dr Randle wrote:
Right Coach:
- Ollie
- Walton
- Messina

Wrong Coach:
- Blatt
- Collins
- Fisher
Basically everyone not in the 3 right coach listed.

How is Luke the right coach and Blatt the wrong coach? What exactly are you basing this on?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: