Official Thread: Luke Walton the new coach!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
A golden state writer came out and said that with the Warriors still in the playoffs Luke might have some of his assistants take spots with other teams.

They were referring to Brian Shaw being on Luke's short list but Shaw might choose to jump back on board with Nate Mcmillan rather than waiting to see if Luke offers him and miss out on the opportunity.

They also said that they expect Chris Demarco to follow Luke to LA.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/thompson/2016/05/15/poaching-warriors-staff-might-luke-waltons-best-option-kara-lawson-warriors-bench/

My understanding is that he talked about assistants with Mitch and jim and that they could pursue some in the interim.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ahaider wrote:
A golden state writer came out and said that with the Warriors still in the playoffs Luke might have some of his assistants take spots with other teams.

They were referring to Brian Shaw being on Luke's short list but Shaw might choose to jump back on board with Nate Mcmillan rather than waiting to see if Luke offers him and miss out on the opportunity.

They also said that they expect Chris Demarco to follow Luke to LA.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/thompson/2016/05/15/poaching-warriors-staff-might-luke-waltons-best-option-kara-lawson-warriors-bench/

My understanding is that he talked about assistants with Mitch and jim and that they could pursue some in the interim.

That makes sense. I'm not sure how Jim Buss's relationship with Brian Shaw could affect his hiring or candidacy for the role.

It'll be interesting to see how much autonomy Luke has in selecting his staff.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Great stuff, MJST. Thank you for taking the time to put that together.

Agreed.

To me it confirms what I've been saying about Julius when people were saying he's a ball stopper. They were calling lots of ISO plays for him. He's not an inherent ball stopper but one by design of the "offense"

I can't wait to see him in Luke's offense. Probably the best thing for him will be the fact that Luke will stress the fundamentals. Proper screen setting alone will give Ju more scoring opportunities

This data doesn't give you the information on how often an isolation is "called", necessarily. Randle was often stationed at the top of the key, and would choose to try to take his man 1-on-1. That's not necessarily a play call.

He'll benefit greatly from a couple of rules that I expect to be implemented:

1) Pass, shoot, or attack within 2 seconds of getting the ball.
2) If you don't have the ball, you're either setting a screen, or using one.

Right but would it really be a surprise to see that kind of play be completely fine by Scott? In his mind that's a legit offense. Guaranteed he has no issue with that, and since 99% of the other plays we ran didn't work, if it was a play designed to get Ju a look it was most likely an ISO

Agreed with both of those offensive rules. In addition to that Luke will have them drilling the fundamentals constantly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Right but would it really be a surprise to see that kind of play be completely fine by Scott? In his mind that's a legit offense. Guaranteed he has no issue with that, and since 99% of the other plays we ran didn't work, if it was a play designed to get Ju a look it was most likely an ISO

Agreed with both of those offensive rules. In addition to that Luke will have them drilling the fundamentals constantly

Yeah, Byron definitely enabled that sort of play. I believe that Randle was Scott's biggest victim, despite all of the bluster surrounding Russell this year. I don't think Randle was particularly well coached growing up, frankly, and people used him for his enormous physical gifts without giving much back. He has a lot of talent, but a lot to learn, and Byron enabled the worst parts of his game.

I think it's going to take him longer to catch on to the new system than the other young guys, but I think it will ultimately be great for his career. If he can fix his jumper he'll be in business.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:

Yeah, Byron definitely enabled that sort of play. I believe that Randle was Scott's biggest victim, despite all of the bluster surrounding Russell this year. I don't think Randle was particularly well coached growing up, frankly, and people used him for his enormous physical gifts without giving much back. He has a lot of talent, but a lot to learn, and Byron enabled the worst parts of his game.

I think it's going to take him longer to catch on to the new system than the other young guys, but I think it will ultimately be great for his career. If he can fix his jumper he'll be in business.

Yup. Fortunately for us though, he was never taught a lot basics about the game, otherwise I don't think he falls to 7.

If he can pick up those basics and add the jumper the sky is the limit

Last edited by 22 on Mon May 16, 2016 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

What is Chris Demarcos strength as a assistant?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject:

He's a assistant on the rise according to a article I just read.

Interested to know what he brings.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

There's so many little things that I love about Luke being with the Warriors, and his complete basketball pedigree.

- he's super close to Draymond. He probably appreciates everything that Dray does. Including the fire that Dray ignites his teammates with. I think he might try to turn Randle into a *play angry* / alpha guy, which Yinoma has predicted.
- Steve Kerr, Ron Adams, Alvin Gentry. 3 great coaches to learn from. Kerr is quick to give credit to other teams, he's open minded - that's probably allowed for the coaching staff to mull and inherit strategies from other teams - possibly expediting Luke's knowledge of the game.
Ron Adams is a top defensive mind, and the Warriors have been at the top or near the top in Defense the past two years.
- Luke himself was a pass-first player, he'll never stray from a ball movement offensive system. We should be close to the top of the league in ball movement/passes. Kerr gets on his players for not keeping the ball moving after a few possessions, Luke will do the same.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

The remaining teams in the playoffs have coaches with a combined 12 years of head coaching experience.
Dwayne Casey has 8 of those years.

It's all about the rookie coaches. Rooting for you Luke!
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

Can someone tell me pease take out BREAKING NEWS?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
Can someone tell me pease take out <b>BREAKING NEWS</b>?

+1
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Iron Mamba wrote:
Can someone tell me pease take out <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b>?

+1

I agree!!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Fixed.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Fixed.

Thanks so much!!

We will hopefully be get more BREAKING NEWS soon (keeping our pick)!!
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if Luke is watching the Lottery or prepping for OKC??

Hoping for more BREAKING NEWS!!!
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

lakeshowtacular wrote:
Wonder if Luke is watching the Lottery or prepping for OKC??

Hoping for more <b>BREAKING NEWS</b>!!!

probably preparing for the warriors and waiting for a call from mitch. that says nay or yah
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

New interview with Steve Kerr by Ethan Sherwood Stauss. Kerr talks about losing Luke:

Quote:
Strauss: It seems like you're really proud of Luke getting this Lakers job, but it also seems to have taken a bit of an emotional hit on you. What is that like to process?

Kerr: Can't replace him, you know? I had a pretty good vision of what I wanted to accomplish here. I wanted to bring in people who knew basketball but who were just unique, fun human beings, great senses of humor, fun to be around. Losing Alvin last year, which I kind of knew was going to happen more than likely, and now losing Luke, it's tough. There's lots of great basketball coaches out there, and we'll find one, we'll find someone who's going to do a great job, but when you're talking about a close friend ... I mean, you develop this bond where you're together every day at home and on the road. You go out to dinner on the road, and you watch tape together, you joke, you talk s--- to each other, and you laugh constantly, and then that person goes to a new team. That's it. You see them four times a year, maybe twice a year. I'm going to miss the daily interaction with Luke. What he brings to the players is pretty powerful. He's going to be tough to replace.

thesource
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
New interview with Steve Kerr by Ethan Sherwood Stauss. Kerr talks about losing Luke:

Quote:
Strauss: It seems like you're really proud of Luke getting this Lakers job, but it also seems to have taken a bit of an emotional hit on you. What is that like to process?

Kerr: Can't replace him, you know? I had a pretty good vision of what I wanted to accomplish here. I wanted to bring in people who knew basketball but who were just unique, fun human beings, great senses of humor, fun to be around. Losing Alvin last year, which I kind of knew was going to happen more than likely, and now losing Luke, it's tough. There's lots of great basketball coaches out there, and we'll find one, we'll find someone who's going to do a great job, but when you're talking about a close friend ... I mean, you develop this bond where you're together every day at home and on the road. You go out to dinner on the road, and you watch tape together, you joke, you talk s--- to each other, and you laugh constantly, and then that person goes to a new team. That's it. You see them four times a year, maybe twice a year. I'm going to miss the daily interaction with Luke. What he brings to the players is pretty powerful. He's going to be tough to replace.

Steve Kerr should man-up.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:

Steve Kerr seems like a solid cat.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject:

thesource wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Steve Kerr seems like a solid cat.

Can't wait for Luke. Love Kerr as well. Hoping Luke brings that same type of personality to the locker room. I'm sure he will but yeah...
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
thesource wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

:
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:

Kind of funny/ironic because I felt that even though Byron's system hurt Randle's game, at times he looked like the best guy out there as his motor and physicality carried him through Byron's archaic, motionless system. He did make basically the same mistakes all year, which tells you he didn't get much feedback from the coaching dept, but I'm hoping that a motion offense with lots of reads will help his IQ going forward.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

Bill Walton: “I’m The Proudest And Luckiest Dad In The World”

Quote:
Luke’s father, Bill Walton, advised him to stay put in Golden State as an assistant coach for a few years once the rumor mill began saying that the Lakers were interested in his services. Luke disregarded his father’s advice and accepted the Lakers’ offer to become their head coach, and Lakers Nation could not be happier with his decision.

http://www.lakersnation.com/bill-walton-im-the-proudest-and-luckiest-dad-in-the-world/2016/06/18/
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Walton and Leinart assembled a team of friends to play in a recreation basketball league that draws many former college players.

“It’s not like we were in some slouch league,” Leinart says.

Walton mostly coasted, pulling up for 3-pointers in transition, playing casual defense. When an opponent on one of the league’s better teams managed to get under Walton’s skin, however, he responded with a 36-point half in a semifinal playoff victory.

They went on to win the league title, with Walton hitting the go-ahead 3-pointer in the championship game and sealing the victory with a game-winning steal.

That this championship was celebrated at a pizza parlor rather than with a parade through downtown Los Angeles didn’t matter. Even in childhood, Walton’s competitiveness came out in board games, video games, and ping-pong.

“I’ve played all those things with Luke hundreds of times,” Nate Walton says, “and it’s always the same level. He’s not laid back at all when it comes to the competition.”

Quote:
“His dad taught him to play chess,” Susie says. “(Luke) could see three or four moves out. He has that thing about him, where he can see something and see what can happen as a result of what’s going on in that moment, and I think that’s one of his favorite parts of coaching. Watching what other teams do with their players and then matching it. Like chess.”

Walton and his brothers did not grow up lounging on the beach. It was a place to go swimming. Nate Walton says the idea of Luke as a beach bum is a misconception.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/walton-719760-says-lakers.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 47 of 49
Jump to: