Official Thread: Luke Walton the new coach!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
roboshrimp wrote:
It sounds like the Laker's youth played a big factor into Luke's decision to become the head coach for the Lakers. He told media members in the bay area today that he believes D'angelo Russell and Randle can be future all stars.

http://www.lakersnation.com/luke-walton-believes-dangelo-russell-julius-randle-have-all-star-potential/2016/04/30/

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/4/30/11544638/la-lakers-luke-walton-head-coach-dangelo-russell

We can now forget about the Cousins and Butler trade proposals. Lakers want a short term and long term success, they aren't gonna panic.

Please, let it also mean they won't go out and throw money at DeRoz. His regular season looks good, but in the playoffs he was kinda a disappointment. If he wasn't down over 33% across the board in the playoffs I'd be really surprised. I remember for sure the announcers in one of the last playoff games saying his 3pt% was only 16% - just one example
at a max contract, he'd be way overpriced...someone will give it to him, but hopefully it isn't a "new look" Lakers team

If he can get us in the playoffs he deserves a max contract.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Practice wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 48s49 seconds ago
ESPN sources say the Warriors, meanwhile, plan to go outside the organization at season's end for a replacement to add to the current staff.

lakers need to go get Blatt quick before Kerr gets his hands on him

Quote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m2 minutes ago
Sources caution, though, that David Blatt isn't as certain a target now for Golden State despite how close he came to landing there in 2014.

So Blatt's going to go from a finals coach/best record in East to being someone's assistant? That doesn't make any sense for him.

Maybe, but obviously he wouldn't be the first coach to take that sort of downward step, at least short-term. (Messina?)

Also remember that Blatt didn't really get to do what he wanted to in Cleveland. That was Lebron's privilege. Now, Blatt does share in the blame for that, but maybe he'll see a choice assistant's job as a way to implement his style of play without the pressure of having to be completely accountable for it.

Last edited by LuciusAllen on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Quote:
ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources say Luke Walton lands a five-year deal with the Lakers (four years guaranteed) at $5-to-6 million annually including incentives

Five year five mill per year. Just like his contract when he played for us.

I can imagine his contract. They just photo copied his last player contract. Scratched out the dates and changed player to coach.

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
roboshrimp wrote:
It sounds like the Laker's youth played a big factor into Luke's decision to become the head coach for the Lakers. He told media members in the bay area today that he believes D'angelo Russell and Randle can be future all stars.

http://www.lakersnation.com/luke-walton-believes-dangelo-russell-julius-randle-have-all-star-potential/2016/04/30/

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/4/30/11544638/la-lakers-luke-walton-head-coach-dangelo-russell

We can now forget about the Cousins and Butler trade proposals. Lakers want a short term and long term success, they aren't gonna panic.

Please, let it also mean they won't go out and throw money at DeRoz. His regular season looks good, but in the playoffs he was kinda a disappointment. If he wasn't down over 33% across the board in the playoffs I'd be really surprised. I remember for sure the announcers in one of the last playoff games saying his 3pt% was only 16% - just one example
at a max contract, he'd be way overpriced...someone will give it to him, but hopefully it isn't a "new look" Lakers team

If they get to the playoffs, it won't be because of one player.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
There's a pretty likely chance that Huertas is gone next year with Luke in right? Frequent PnR user, who can't really spot up or move off the ball effectively. Needs the ball in his hands to be effective as well. Also, do you see there being a transition period necessary for Julius, JC, and D'Angelo due to their frequency in using isolations and Pn'Rs, or do you think that was more of a fabrication of the system that Byron was running?

Yeah, I think Huertas is gone. Along with the issues that you listed, he faces the same problem that Williams does regarding setting screens.

I think there will be a transition period for Clarkson & Randle. I think Russell will be like a fish to water. The one thing he'll need to improve is his ability to shoot coming off of screens. Otherwise, I think he's a natural fit. Same can be said of Nance & probably Brown.

Clarkson will be the next to get it. The biggest adjustment he's going to have to make is to just move the ball to the next guy rather than trying to break guys down 1-on-1. He showed talent as a spot up & off screen shooter throughout the year, and as a screener once we switched to our elementary version of Motion Weak. It's just the reads that I'm most concerned with, but I think he'll get there.

Randle is going to face the biggest adjustment. He's a ball stopper, a poor screener, and can't shoot. But this is exactly the type of offense he'll need if he's gonna be a good offensive player. He'll thrive in transition immediately though, we'll have much better concepts in place.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
roboshrimp wrote:

point-guard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
point-guard wrote:
as with MJST, I really prefer and thinks messina would be the better hire. but now that luke is onboard, i hope i can be proved terribly wrong. a home grown coach leading us to another dynasty would be glorious.

I think Messina would have been a better hire if we had a veteran team ready to compete. With a team as young and terrible as we are, I think Luke is probably the better fit to relate and grow with this team.

on the flipped side i felt messina would have been perfect for a young team because of what he preaches in both fundamental and mentality.

regardless, decision has been made. fingers crossed, hope we get a high pick, sign a great FA, its time for us to comeback
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject:

And then they release the terms of the deal. Thanks Ramona.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

https://soundcloud.com/warriors/luke-walton-practice-43016
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
roboshrimp wrote:

So you think they should tie up max money for 5-6 years on a guy that disappears in the playoffs? On Friday, in an elimination game, he shot .231, scored 8pts, had 4 TO's. There was only 1 game in that entire series where he looked even reasonably good.
5-6 year Max contract? I could see a lot of years when we'd look like the Clippers - celebrating making the playoffs, and then going no where.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
roboshrimp wrote:

So you think they should tie up max money for 5-6 years on a guy that disappears in the playoffs? On Friday, in an elimination game, he shot .231, scored 8pts, had 4 TO's. There was only 1 game in that entire series where he looked even reasonably good.
5-6 year Max contract? I could see a lot of years when we'd look like the Clippers - celebrating making the playoffs, and then going no where.

The longest contract the Lakers could legally give DeRozan is 4 years.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

I still think Luke should have Fisher on his coaching staff. Maybe his relationship with Kevin Durant could probably lure him to LA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:

We can only sign him for 4 years, and yes, he will get max money. And not having been in the playoffs the past 3 seasons that shouldn't be a concern. The Raptors offensive system has struggled in the playoffs, Casey isn't a good coach. Hopefully Luke would do better. But if another 17 win season floats your boat, then you are welcome to that opinion. But the FO will pursue NBA all star talent every chance they get.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Practice wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 48s49 seconds ago
ESPN sources say the Warriors, meanwhile, plan to go outside the organization at season's end for a replacement to add to the current staff.

lakers need to go get Blatt quick before Kerr gets his hands on him

Quote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m2 minutes ago
Sources caution, though, that David Blatt isn't as certain a target now for Golden State despite how close he came to landing there in 2014.

So Blatt's going to go from a finals coach/best record in East to being someone's assistant? That doesn't make any sense for him.

Lot's of former HC's don't get new jobs right away and become Assoc HC's for a year or two.
If Blatt doesn't land a HC job this year, I'd expect him to become an AssocHC to - that doesn't say he'll come to LAL, but I'd bet he'll end up somewhere.

Alvin Gentry went to the WCF with the Suns and promptly took a job as an AHC for the Clippers than the Warriors.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Anyone hear reports Luke Waltons deal is 5-6 million per year for 5 years. 4 years guaranteed? I got a notice on my sports app
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

If Blatt doesn't take the job in NY, we should really try and snatch him up. He's a hardass and would make for a nice contrast to Luke.

!...
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
P.K. wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
roboshrimp wrote:

The longest contract the Lakers could legally give DeRozan is 4 years.

DOH!! I forgot they changed that in the last CBA
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Luke may not have played PG, but since he was always an excellent passer and had really good court vision, I'd expect Russell to become even better as a passer under Luke's guidance, which is scary.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike_Bresnahan: Walton on Julius Randle: "That kid averaged 10 rebounds a game as pretty much a rookie? That’s insane. This is a grown-man league."

Quote:
Mike_Bresnahan: Walton on D'Angelo: "He has very high potential. To me, he can be a perennial All-Star." Likes how he can score from 3-pt range + the post.

Quote:
Mike_Bresnahan: Walton on Clarkson: "He’s another active athlete. He’s constantly in attack mode, which is what you want." Walton likes his work ethic too.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
I still think Luke should have Fisher on his coaching staff. Maybe his relationship with Kevin Durant could probably lure him to LA.

I still think Fisher should NOT be on Luke's coaching staff He can stop by and say, "hi", that's fine... followed by him leaving the building...
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Contrast two years ago when Byron had like 100 interviews before Mitch and Jim reluctantly hire him, and retrospectively we know they put in an out clause to jettison him after two seasons, to coincide with Kobe's contract. Compared that to the hiring of Luke where they did one sit down, draw up the contract and cancelled all the other interviews. It tells me that despite the lip service, Mitch knew the team sucks, and they also knew Byron is a bad coach, they probably figure Byron can just baby sit Kobe and get us a good pick while he's at it .
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Quote:
Mike_Bresnahan: Walton on Julius Randle: "That kid averaged 10 rebounds a game as pretty much a rookie? That’s insane. This is a grown-man league."

Quote:
Mike_Bresnahan: Walton on D'Angelo: "He has very high potential. To me, he can be a perennial All-Star." Likes how he can score from 3-pt range + the post.

Quote:
Mike_Bresnahan: Walton on Clarkson: "He’s another active athlete. He’s constantly in attack mode, which is what you want." Walton likes his work ethic too.

That's awesome, sounds like he never stopped watching the Lakers. He sounds like one of us. Excited about the young guys on our team
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
rybee wrote:
Quote:
ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources say Luke Walton lands a five-year deal with the Lakers (four years guaranteed) at $5-to-6 million annually including incentives

Five year five mill per year. Just like his contract when he played for us.

I can imagine his contract. They just photo copied his last player contract. Scratched out the dates and changed player to coach.
No wonder they got it done so quick, Mitch just dig up that old contract from Microsoft Word, change a couple of words and that's it .
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Even if Luke and team struggles to begin with, I'm willing to be patient with him and allow him to grow along with our guys because I know they all will work their butt off to get better.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is great to hear. It seems like Luke has a vision for the young core which played a factor in his quick decision to be head coach.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 34 of 49
Jump to: