Official Thread: Luke Walton the new coach!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
Even if Luke and team struggles to begin with, I'm willing to be patient with him and allow him to grow along with our guys because I know they all will work their butt off to get better.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Wow it was a 6 hour meeting: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2636855-luke-walton-brings-fresh-start-hope-for-resurgence-to-los-angeles-lakers
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm happier with this decision than I expected to be.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Wow it was a 6 hour meeting: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2636855-luke-walton-brings-fresh-start-hope-for-resurgence-to-los-angeles-lakers

Love fest ... sounds like Dave20 & JC hahaha
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:

And that 6 hour meeting was positive because it was about what he will bring to the table as opposed to the previous coaching hires who probably just wanted to convince the FO.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Love fest ... sounds like Dave20 & JC hahaha

Chill out on that already...
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

And that 6 hour meeting was positive because it was about what he will bring to the table as opposed to the previous coaching hires who probably just wanted to convince the FO.

According to reports there was also a pretty good chunk of time devoted to Mitch & Jim telling Luke how they were going to fix the roster issues, what FA's they wanted to pursue, etc. etc. -- in other words, what they could do to make the team better and address some of the problems here.

that factor is also somewhat promising - if they can deliver on it, of course

No word on whether they addressed the Jeanie/Jim disfunction that's the elephant in the room, but I would be somewhat surprised if Luke didn't ask about that
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

Steve Hartman absolutely savaged the hire on Fox Sports Radio today, he is not in agreement to put it mildly.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:

1 hour of talking and 5 hours of sitting around really awkwardly, waiting for the other party to leave first.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Practice wrote:

Steve Hartman absolutely savaged the hire on Fox Sports Radio today, he is not in agreement to put it mildly.

Hartman is a LOSER ... get a hairpiece.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Walton on Julius Randle: "That kid averaged 10 rebounds a game as pretty much a rookie? That’s insane. This is a grown-man league."
— Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) April 30, 2016

Walton on D'Angelo: "He has very high potential. To me, he can be a perennial All-Star." Likes how he can score from 3-pt range + the post.

Walton on Nance Jr.: "You’re going to have superstars that end up on SportsCenter every night but you need guys doing the little things."

Walton on Clarkson: "He’s another active athlete. He’s constantly in attack mode, which is what you want." Walton likes his work ethic too.

Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Practice wrote:

Who cares what he thinks.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DG-kGMgXMI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WFS3ms3BuLo
13thOverallPick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah86/SavagePuma92/lakers2017g_zpsa4pon1am.jpg

All finished guys.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
roboshrimp wrote:
It sounds like the Laker's youth played a big factor into Luke's decision to become the head coach for the Lakers. He told media members in the bay area today that he believes D'angelo Russell and Randle can be future all stars.

http://www.lakersnation.com/luke-walton-believes-dangelo-russell-julius-randle-have-all-star-potential/2016/04/30/

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/4/30/11544638/la-lakers-luke-walton-head-coach-dangelo-russell

We can now forget about the Cousins and Butler trade proposals. Lakers want a short term and long term success, they aren't gonna panic.

Please, let it also mean they won't go out and throw money at DeRoz. His regular season looks good, but in the playoffs he was kinda a disappointment. If he wasn't down over 33% across the board in the playoffs I'd be really surprised. I remember for sure the announcers in one of the last playoff games saying his 3pt% was only 16% - just one example
at a max contract, he'd be way overpriced...someone will give it to him, but hopefully it isn't a "new look" Lakers team

If he can get us in the playoffs he deserves a max contract.

Since he can't do it, he deserves to go to another team...
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Practice wrote:

I was listening. Hearing Hartman crap all over the signing was very encouraging. He's a moron.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The Logo wrote:
There's a pretty likely chance that Huertas is gone next year with Luke in right? Frequent PnR user, who can't really spot up or move off the ball effectively. Needs the ball in his hands to be effective as well. Also, do you see there being a transition period necessary for Julius, JC, and D'Angelo due to their frequency in using isolations and Pn'Rs, or do you think that was more of a fabrication of the system that Byron was running?

Yeah, I think Huertas is gone. Along with the issues that you listed, he faces the same problem that Williams does regarding setting screens.

I think there will be a transition period for Clarkson & Randle. I think Russell will be like a fish to water. The one thing he'll need to improve is his ability to shoot coming off of screens. Otherwise, I think he's a natural fit. Same can be said of Nance & probably Brown.

Clarkson will be the next to get it. The biggest adjustment he's going to have to make is to just move the ball to the next guy rather than trying to break guys down 1-on-1. He showed talent as a spot up & off screen shooter throughout the year, and as a screener once we switched to our elementary version of Motion Weak. It's just the reads that I'm most concerned with, but I think he'll get there.

Randle is going to face the biggest adjustment. He's a ball stopper, a poor screener, and can't shoot. But this is exactly the type of offense he'll need if he's gonna be a good offensive player. He'll thrive in transition immediately though, we'll have much better concepts in place.

Transition is the one thing that concerns me about the core. Larry Nance posted in the top percentile of transition plays in the league, but other than him, JC and D'Angelo were in the high teens and Randle the mid 30's. Is that concerning to you, or is that just a matter of them getting acclimated to the speed of the league and making the right reads?
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

13thOverallPick wrote:
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah86/SavagePuma92/lakers2017g_zpsa4pon1am.jpg

All finished guys.

Replace Ben Simmons with Ingram then we good

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:

No word on whether they addressed the Jeanie/Jim disfunction that's the elephant in the room, but I would be somewhat surprised if Luke didn't ask about that

This is something that definitely needs to be addressed too. Or maybe the understanding is that it will be decided a year from now. Have they ever appeared at a press conference together?
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject:

drew4lakers wrote:
P.K. wrote:

This is something that definitely needs to be addressed too. Or maybe the understanding is that it will be decided a year from now. Have they ever appeared at a press conference together?

I think with each step Jeanie gets further and further away from having the votes. This thing is finally going in the right direction. It seems less and less likely she gets the votes if this momentum is carried throughout the season, playoffs or not.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Transition is the one thing that concerns me about the core. Larry Nance posted in the top percentile of transition plays in the league, but other than him, JC and D'Angelo were in the high teens and Randle the mid 30's. Is that concerning to you, or is that just a matter of them getting acclimated to the speed of the league and making the right reads?

I don't put much stock into the Transition Play Type statistics. They're overwhelmingly skewed toward non-ball handlers. It's a situation where the guy who starts with the ball usually isn't the guy who scores, but he's pretty much the only guy who can get a turnover, in most circumstances. If you're filling the wing, you're either getting a dunk or not at all.

John Wall, for example, is a (bleep) blur in transition, and he's in the 30th percentile.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject:

drew4lakers wrote:
P.K. wrote:

I think when Byron was signed. BTW the Showtime Photo-op that came as a result of that press conference was the highlight of Byron's tenure here.

!...
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-luke-walton-lakers-20160501-story.html

Quote:
At power forward, can Randle mimic some of Green's success as a distributor, scorer and rebounder?

"I see it," Walton said. "Honestly, Julius can give us the freedom to do a lot of things because of his size and quickness. If he can develop other aspects of his game, that allows us to go small with him at center because he's strong enough to cover centers.

"That kid averaged 10 rebounds a game as pretty much a rookie? That's insane. This is a grown-man league. For someone in their first year playing to do that is obviously a big advantage to have."

Walton likes how Randle pushes the ball after taking defensive rebounds but knows the 21-year-old sometimes plays "a little [too] fast." His outside shot also needs work.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

According to reports there was also a pretty good chunk of time devoted to Mitch & Jim telling Luke how they were going to fix the roster issues, what FA's they wanted to pursue, etc. etc. -- in other words, what they could do to make the team better and address some of the problems here.

that factor is also somewhat promising - if they can deliver on it, of course

Its always good when a coach and the FO is on the same page, not sure what the connections were with the other hires, but it seems like Luke already has chemistry with the team.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-luke-walton-lakers-20160501-story.html

Quote:
At power forward, can Randle mimic some of Green's success as a distributor, scorer and rebounder?

"I see it," Walton said. "Honestly, Julius can give us the freedom to do a lot of things because of his size and quickness. If he can develop other aspects of his game, that allows us to go small with him at center because he's strong enough to cover centers.

"That kid averaged 10 rebounds a game as pretty much a rookie? That's insane. This is a grown-man league. For someone in their first year playing to do that is obviously a big advantage to have."

Walton likes how Randle pushes the ball after taking defensive rebounds but knows the 21-year-old sometimes plays "a little [too] fast." His outside shot also needs work.

Tears of joy!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 35 of 49
Jump to: