Official Thread: Luke Walton the new coach!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Luke is gonna teach, and players will work their butts off for him, even it's to shove the results up Scott's ass.
I'm very happy with this hire. I wasn't so excited about the possibility 2 months ago but the more Luke speaks the more I like his attitude, demeanor, and thought process. He'll build them up, not tear them down like Scott.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
Anyone think he's going to be doing summer league? I would assume so to get used to the youngsters. I hope they all play summer league and he starts instilling his offense by that time.

I actually came to this thread to pose that very question. I can't help but think that he will. It'd be a tremendous opportunity for him to install his system and connect with the players. It'd give them some really good momentum going into the offseason.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:
Anyone think he's going to be doing summer league? I would assume so to get used to the youngsters. I hope they all play summer league and he starts instilling his offense by that time.

I actually came to this thread to pose that very question. I can't help but think that he will. It'd be a tremendous opportunity for him to install his system and connect with the players. It'd give them some really good momentum going into the offseason.

I remember Kerr coached summer league his first season. Hopefully Luke does it too, since D-lo and maybe Randle will be playing.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I can't imagine Luke skipping out on summer league. Especially since he's made rebuilding the culture such a strong point. Also, it just doesn't seem to suit his personality not to be there. Can't imagine what else he would be doing.

Might be different if he had an established roster and a summer league trying to find a few end of the bench players. I think he'd still be there even then
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

That's a good point, i think he should coach summer league, it would give him a clear starting point with the guys already. There's work to be done and we're slowly but surely turning the tide, let's do this
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Luke is gonna teach, and players will work their butts off for him, even it's to shove the results up Scott's ass.
I'm very happy with this hire. I wasn't so excited about the possibility 2 months ago but the more Luke speaks the more I like his attitude, demeanor, and thought process. He'll build them up, not tear them down like Scott.

Months ago I wanted to know why everyone wanted him but fans told me he was responsible for greens development
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I hope all of our young guys are watching every Warriors playoff game
TriedAndTrue
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

long time lurker here and this is my first post! whats up everyone, Im 26 and been a laker fan since my dad started taking me to games when Harris was coach when i was in kindergarden

just wanted to say that this is such a breath of fresh air, could not be more happy with the new hire, good for jim and mitch. cant wait to see how our young core is going to play now that the leashes are off! now lets hope we get that lottery pick and get simmons or ingram!

everyone
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Damn. Ballsy move, Lakers

I'm happy and shocked really

Haven't been on much since it happened. This is pretty much how I felt though. I expected the Lakers to kinda drag this out a little still and interview a few guys for due diligence, but they made a strong, decisive and potentially very successful move for the first time since, well, going back to the Pau trade even.

I am really happy/proud of the Lakers for making a move that takes them into a new era in many way. Hope its the first step of many good, decisive moves over the summer.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject:

TriedAndTrue wrote:
long time lurker here and this is my first post! whats up everyone, Im 26 and been a laker fan since my dad started taking me to games when Harris was coach when i was in kindergarden

just wanted to say that this is such a breath of fresh air, could not be more happy with the new hire, good for jim and mitch. cant wait to see how our young core is going to play now that the leashes are off! now lets hope we get that lottery pick and get simmons or ingram!

everyone
welcome, we've definitely turned the corner, there will be good times ahead
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject:

After reading the LA Times article, where Walton discusses the Lakers core young guys (Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance Jnr), I am even more excited and confident about the Lakers future.

Luke had me early, not only when he beamed about Russell's All-Star potential, not where he hadn't forgotten about Clarkson's ability, not even when he mentioned Nance's fundamentals and defensive potential.....but when he gave Randle his due props for putting up a double-double in his 'rookie' year in a grown man's league AND mentioned the possibility of him playing C in a small-ball style of game, due to his size, rebounding, etc.

Luke Walton the Coach def got game.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Draymond raving about Luke:

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ann Killion ‏@annkillion 3h3 hours ago
Kerr was asked if the coaching staff talks about Steph's status. "We mostly talk about the Lakers, actually."

Kerr: "How Luke wants to use Clarkson and Randle and what offense he's going to run. We're really trying to help him out."

Class

Satire

The twitter account is from a legit GSW reporter. Kerr could have been trying to dodge the question of when Steph will be back, but I don't doubt he will help Luke. He wants him to look good in his coaching debut with us, and he obviously has nothing to fear from us anyway.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Judah wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

I remember Kerr coached summer league his first season. Hopefully Luke does it too, since D-lo and maybe Randle will be playing.

Randle played SL twice already, most likely won't do it again. But Luke will have a hell of a team: Russell, Blue, Nance, Simmons and Maker + Brown as 6th man
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Kerr was asked if the coaching staff talks about Steph's status. "We mostly talk about the Lakers, actually."

Kerr: "How Luke wants to use Clarkson and Randle and what offense he's going to run. We're really trying to help him out."

Class

Satire

The twitter account is from a legit GSW reporter. Kerr could have been trying to dodge the question of when Steph will be back, but I don't doubt he will help Luke. He wants him to look good in his coaching debut with us, and he obviously has nothing to fear from us anyway.

I agree. I think both are likely. Steve Kerr has always come across, to me at least, as a guy with a lot of class. And I've no doubt there's enough bb junkie in him to enjoy talking about how their system would fit the Laker roster.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:

Class

Satire

I agree. I think both are likely. Steve Kerr has always come across, to me at least, as a guy with a lot of class. And I've no doubt there's enough bb junkie in him to enjoy talking about how their system would fit the Laker roster.

I bet that more thought went into the GSW coaching staff's single discussion of our roster than in the entire years' worth of Byron's staff's discussions of our roster.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
rybee wrote:
Judah wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

Randle played SL twice already, most likely won't do it again. But Luke will have a hell of a team: Russell, Blue, Nance, Simmons and Maker + Brown as 6th man

Now THIS would be nice!! 15 more days... Come on ping pong balls, do your job!!!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

It's great reading all the high praise coming from Kerr and players.

Even with DLo's self-imposed social media ban, the only player I've read who offered any praise for our former coach was Nance.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:

Does anyone know if the coaches are allowed to work with players at this time?
If I am not mistaken there is a break before the training camp when players and coaches can not work together.

In essence, I am asking when Luke will actually start? is it a training camp or earlier? Could he be developing summer tasks for Lakers players?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject:

Luke will start sometime around late June. I do not see the Warriors not winning it all.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:

Yeah Luke is going to teach and the team will still get their arses whipped unless they get great players. If the front office does not manage to get top free agents this summer in a year LG will be chopping Luke's head.
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

It's great reading all the high praise coming from Kerr and players.

Even with DLo's self-imposed social media ban, the only player I've read who offered any praise for our former coach was Nance.

Julius Randle tweeted "Welcome Home Coach" concerning Luke.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
55 wrote:

Yeah Luke is going to teach and the team will still get their arses whipped unless they get great players. If the front office does not manage to get top free agents this summer in a year LG will be chopping Luke's head.

So everyone on the board is too shallow to recognize the radical differences in the coach's job and the FO's? Unless the Lakers land two max players and the young core comes back dramatically improved, no one on LG is expecting the Lakers to go out and win the championship next year or something. This is a rebuild, and mostly everyone on this board realizes that. No one will ignore a lack of talent on the roster and just dump on Luke if the team struggles to win games because of it. The reason everyone piled on Byron wasn't just because of the loss column. It was because he was horrible in every single task there was, literally.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
55 wrote:

This is the dude that was defending Byron tooth and nail y'all

That says it all
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
55 wrote:

Unlike Byron, Luke won't be an arse to everyone. Heck, I'm ok if Luke is putting in a system, getting the guys to buy in, and if they only win 30 games.

Brad Stevens won 27 games his first year, but it was clear they had something special brewing there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 39 of 49
Jump to: