Luke's coaching staff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Brian Shaw in 2009 was tasked with scouting the Magic. Film, Stats, Rotations, Etc. and did an amazing job. It appears that this time around he will play a similar role on Luke's staff. Not the defense guy, not the x's and o's guy. He will be our advanced analytic's point and the one scouting and prepping our team for match ups. This is exciting as it was something sorely lacking on BS's staff. Instead of going into games with set rotations and lineups we will have the ability and flexibility to adjust strategies and lineups based on our opponent both in game and prior to games. ( like a real basketball team ). Expect Luke and his staff to rely heavily on analytic's this season. Welcome to the modern age of Basketball, better late than never!

Sorry I could't share more but this is what I'm hearing as of late.

This all sounds really good.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

hmm.. never thought shaw was an analytics guy (or read anything about it for that matter)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Brian Shaw in 2009 was tasked with scouting the Magic. Film, Stats, Rotations, Etc. and did an amazing job. It appears that this time around he will play a similar role on Luke's staff. Not the defense guy, not the x's and o's guy. He will be our advanced analytic's point and the one scouting and prepping our team for match ups. This is exciting as it was something sorely lacking on BS's staff. Instead of going into games with set rotations and lineups we will have the ability and flexibility to adjust strategies and lineups based on our opponent both in game and prior to games. ( like a real basketball team ). Expect Luke and his staff to rely heavily on analytic's this season. Welcome to the modern age of Basketball, better late than never!

And so different than the last 2 years.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

So bye to Mark Madson?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

YAAAASSSS!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:
hmm.. never thought shaw was an analytics guy (or read anything about it for that matter)

That was my reaction as well.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject:

we could have luke helping with the draft after tonight.. who would of thought that 2 weeks ago.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Looks like no Blatt on the staff
Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/31/report-david-blatt-near-deal-to-coach-darussafaka-in-turkish-league/

Quote:
Report: David Blatt near deal to coach Darussafaka in Turkish league

David Blatt said he was going to be a head coach somewhere next season.

That turned out not to be in the NBA, where he interviewed and was in the running for the head coaching jobs with the Nets, Knicks, and Rockets but didn’t land any of them. So rather than be a lead assistant, or just wait the market out, he is headed back to Europe, Turkey in particular, reports David Pick, a well-connected basketball reporter.

25 Apr
David Pick ‎@IAmDPick
Darussafaka wish list for head coach, source said: David Blatt.
Follow
David Pick ‎@IAmDPick
Source: Ex-Cavaliers coach David Blatt finalizing deal with Darussafaka for Europe return.
6:53 AM - 31 May 2016
183 183 Retweets 111 111 likes
Follow
David Pick ‎@IAmDPick
Darussafaka's deal with David Blatt, I'm told, is long-term for $1.7-2m per season.
7:59 AM - 31 May 2016
79 79 Retweets 61 61 likes
Darussafaka Dogus is based out of Istanbul and was in the EuroLeague for the first time last season and received a wild card to compete in the league next season (that’s the highest level of European basketball, featuring the best teams from leagues around the continent, similar to the Champions League in soccer). Darussafaka is trying to climb the ladder and compete with the traditional powers of Turkish basketball, Fenerbahçe and Turkey Anadolu Efes. The Darussafaka roster includes Sixers’ Summer League standout Scottie Wilbekin, Luke Harangody, Jamon Gordon, and Reggie Redding from the United States.

Hiring Blatt, who had tremendous success in Europe before coming to the NBA, would be a coup for the club. One they certainly are paying handsomely for.

Blatt won 67.5 percent of his games over a season-and-a-half with the Cavaliers and guided the team to the NBA Finals, but he never fully meshed with LeBron James and the Cavs veterans. Part of that was on Blatt — he demanded respect for his time spent and success in Europe, and that plus his need to be the smartest guy in the room rubbed players the wrong way. Blatt wasn’t humbly trying to earn respect, and the players went to current Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue when frustrated with Blatt. Eventually, Cavaliers management turned to Lue to coach the team because of team chemistry concerns.

Blatt deserved another chance in the NBA, but that didn’t come this summer. We’ll see if his return to Europe impacts that in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I really hope they add a strong X's and O's guy. Blatt would have been perfect for a first year coach to lean on.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

"If I were a young coach today, I would be extremely careful in selecting assistants." - John Wooden
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject:

So LeBron ran Blatt off of the whole NBA? wow.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I was hoping for a BLATT ATTACK but I dont think he wanted an assistant job. Especially if he get a head coaching job in an environment he's more familiar with.

!...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

Do we know if he even got any "lead assistant" offers?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Blatt wasn't interested in that.

Quote:
In a brief conversation, Blatt said he will not take next season off and suggested that if he doesn’t have a head coaching job, he will take one overseas as opposed to working as an assistant or associate head coach in the NBA.

“I don’t see myself not being a head coach somewhere but you never know,” he said.

In 23 years as a coach, Blatt has never taken a full season off.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Blatt wasn't interested in that.

Quote:
In a brief conversation, Blatt said he will not take next season off and suggested that if he doesn’t have a head coaching job, he will take one overseas as opposed to working as an assistant or associate head coach in the NBA.

“I don’t see myself not being a head coach somewhere but you never know,” he said.

In 23 years as a coach, Blatt has never taken a full season off.

I have a feeling this next series is where Gilbert is going to realize he made a mistake getting rid of Blatt.

Not hating on Lue, but essentially he is a cheerleader more than a coach. Blatt came up with a brilliant game plan vs. the Warriors last year in the Finals and it almost worked. I don't think Lue has those kind of adjustments in him, we shall see.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I'd wanna see what Batt could do with a young and up and coming team like he suppose to have in Cleve.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Blatt was a pure pipe dream. Man wasn't going to take an assistant job.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
Blatt was a pure pipe dream. Man wasn't going to take an assistant job.

So you thought moving to Turkey was more likely?
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
"If I were a young coach today, I would be extremely careful in selecting assistants." - John Wooden

"John Wooden begat Bill Walton and Bill Walton begat Luke Walton . . . " Luke 20:16
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
Judah wrote:

"John Wooden begat Bill Walton and Bill Walton begat Luke Walton . . . " Luke 20:16

Actually, it's: "He will come and destroy those tenants and give the vineyard to others.” When they heard this, they said, “Surely not!”
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Shaw will be an excellent assistant for Luke and this organization
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
Judah wrote:

Actually, it's: "He will come and destroy those tenants and give the vineyard to others.” When they heard this, they said, “Surely not!”

Actually, Luke comes from several great coaching trees:

John Wooden through his dad.
Lute Olson in college
Phil Jackson in pros

Hard to get better than that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
epak wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
Judah wrote:

Lute Olson in college
Phil Jackson in pros

And Kerr in GS.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
epak wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
Judah wrote:

Lute Olson in college
Phil Jackson in pros

Interesting that you bring Lute Olson up. Good article on the Arizona influence in the NBA finals: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/all-arizona-nba-finals-will-have-lute-fans-riveted/article_19f63e80-5fd2-51a4-bd90-c525694d5d74.html
ValleyLakeshowLover
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

I haven't read this whole topic, so it may have already been discussed... Is there any talk about Luke trying to bring Derek Fisher on board?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 31 of 62
Jump to: