Walton: the 2017 Lakers will run the GS Warriors style offense, not the triangle
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Walton: the 2017 Lakers will run the GS Warriors style offense, not the triangle

Although Luke Walton has been raised under both styles, he says that we will mimic Kerr's style in Golden State, and not Phil Jackson's triangle offense:

Quote:
Luke: “I don’t think the triangles the most appropriate offense for the players that they have down there.” Says styles will be more GSW.

Audio link (8:45 mark) - thanks Judah.

To be honest, we don't have personnel for a GSW offense either, which is heavily predicated on spacing that works due to excellent outside shooting from 4-5 players on the court. The 2016 Laker's best three-point shooter (minimum 50 attempts) tied the last place Warrior three-point shooter.... we're talking nine players they have that shot better than us from beyond the arc.

If he still sees this type of potential, no doubt that summer practice for our young guns will be heavily focused on improving the stroke. Luke will also need to emphasize to our GM staff the types of trades/free agents needed to make this thing work or the next few years could be a tremendous disappointment offensively.

And that's before we find out about his defensive philosophy, which sadly no reporter seems to have asked him about yet despite being 50% of the game if you are vying for championships.

Last edited by joeblow on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

(It doesn't at all mean we're guna shoot close to as many 3s as them)

It's all about the motion, pace, and spacing. All players benefit from that
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Like KIROE said, the most important thing will be ball movement and spacing. Of course, having knock down shooters helps spacing, but there's no way we'll rely on the three as heavily as G-State. That said, I would be surprised if a guy like Julius Randle isn't already putting time in the gym rebuilding his shooting form and getting shots up.

Last edited by KBH on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm interested to see who we sign and acquire to fit the system Luke wants to run.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Its probably gonna look more like the Hawks than the Warriors. Both are very much about ball movement and player movement, but the Hakws do it without guys like Curry and Klay.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 players from the Warriors on the Lakers next season.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
Its probably gonna look more like the Hawks than the Warriors. Both are very much about ball movement and player movement, but the Hakws do it without guys like Curry and Klay.

And that brings up a interesting scenario.

We can try to get guys like Krover/Horford and Bazemore. It will make the transition easier.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 players from the Warriors on the Lakers next season.

Festus Ezeli is probably attainable.
miamichico305
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I really hope its Curry/Klay/Green..

KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Not really. He's RFA so you gotta really overpay to get him - thinking $10M+. Lakers won't be the only team interested.

The guys I have in mind are all free agents.
- Speights
- Brandon Rush
- Leandro Barbosa

The biggest wild card is RFA Harrison Barnes - I think Luke will make the call on going after him.
#Avatar-gate
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I could see Iggy trying to force his way here, teammates in AZ and a guy who spoke highly of his coaching ability a few years ago.
miamichico305
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KBH wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I could see Iggy trying to force his way here, teammates in AZ and a guy who spoke highly of his coaching ability a few years ago.

..Why. Hes competing for championships... to go to a rebuilding team. ok.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:

miamichico305 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
KBH wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

The.. direction of the team at this point is still unknown, and the Warriors will be handicapped to pay all there guys. we have no idea what our roster will look like and who we will get... We can end up a being a contender if we get the right players.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KBH wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Iggy has 1 year left on his deal. He can hop on a flight and sign with the Lakers in 2017 if he wants. No need to "FORCE".
#Avatar-gate
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
KBH wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Not really. He's RFA so you gotta really overpay to get him - thinking $10M+. Lakers won't be the only team interested.

The guys I have in mind are all free agents.
- Speights
- Brandon Rush
- Leandro Barbosa

The biggest wild card is RFA Harrison Barnes - I think Luke will make the call on going after him.

Ah, I didn't realize he was restricted. I wouldn't mind Speights as a bench big.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
KBH wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

The.. direction of the team at this point is still unknown, and the Warriors will be handicapped to pay all there guys. we have no idea what our roster will look like and who we will get... We can end up a being a contender if we get the right players.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Walton: the 2017 Lakers will run the GS Warriors style offense, not the triangle

joeblow wrote:
Although Luke Walton has been raised under both styles, he says that we will mimic Kerr's style in Golden State, and not Phil Jackson's triangle offense:

Quote:
Luke: “I don’t think the triangles the most appropriate offense for the players that they have down there.” Says styles will be more GSW.

To be honest, we don't have personnel for a GSW offense either, which is heavily predicated on spacing that works due to excellent outside shooting from 4-5 players on the court. The 2016 Laker's best three-point shooter (minimum 50 attempts) tied the last place Warrior three-point shooter.... we're talking nine players they have that shot better than us from beyond the arc.

If he still sees this type of potential, no doubt that summer practice for our young guns will be heavily focused on improving the stroke. Luke will also need to emphasize to our GM staff the types of trades/free agents needed to make this thing work or the next few years could be a tremendous disappointment offensively.

And that's before we find out about his defensive philosophy, which sadly no reporter seems to have asked him about yet despite being 50% of the game if you are vying for championships.

I kind of view it as ball movement and spacing, allowing for superior 3pt shooting as opposed to the shooting allowing for space.

And the former Luke will bring, which I think will make us a better 3pt shooting team next season as a result.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject:

With Russell, Randle and Clarkson we need to play fast break basketball and push the pace even after made baskets. It shouldn't be hard for us to sign a couple of role players who are good 3-pt shooters so that we have better finishers in transition.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
With Russell, Randle and Clarkson we need to play fast break basketball and push the pace even after made baskets. It shouldn't be hard for us to sign a couple of role players who are good 3-pt shooters so that we have better finishers in transition.

Nice, I'll be happy a 25 win season.
#Avatar-gate
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

John Wooden's thoughts come to mind, and that guy knew how to design and teach playing styles so as make the strongest team possible from the players at hand:

"Each roster and season is its own nut to crack. In some years I have the concentration of talent in guards or forwards, and comparatively few big men who shoot well. Other times the main talent is a big man, and the play of the guards becomes supportive mainly of him. Sometimes, I have no standout players at all, and at those times I usually also an imbalanced roster, without balancing strengths and weaknesses. I have found it necessary to suppress any inclination to apply a single blueprint from a successful prior team to the next squad, without that is, a lot of testing. I have to test each player and player combination to observe who does what well with whom. Planning in the preseason is necessary and fine, but for me it's a matter of having to put things together rather quickly from our first day of practice. There will be surprises."
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Who are the best 3PT shooting FA's besides Durant?

Batum shoots a good 3.
Parsons shoots a good 3.
Crabbe shoot a good 3?

What about Lee, Rush, Bazemore, Derozan,S.Hill?

Dudley shoots a good 3.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject:

While GS's ridiculous offensive efficiency is tied to the quality of their shooters, you don't necessarily need that level of shooting to reap the benefits of their offense. Most of the top offensive teams have learned from the Spurs and old 7 seconds or less Suns to run similar stuff without the same shooters.

Secondly, the Lakers have better shooters than people think. It's just that the old Byron system had them taking more contested threes than anyone else for two straight years. Look at what happened to the shooting percentages of the D'antoni holdovers.

That said, a good three and D SF would fit in nicely.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
While GS's ridiculous offensive efficiency is tied to the quality of their shooters, you don't necessarily need that level of shooting to reap the benefits of their offense. Most of the top offensive teams have learned from the Spurs and old 7 seconds or less Suns to run similar stuff without the same shooters.

Secondly, the Lakers have better shooters than people think. It's just that the old Byron system had them taking more contested threes than anyone else for two straight years. Look at what happened to the shooting percentages of the D'antoni holdovers.

That said, a good three and D SF would fit in nicely.

Bingo.

And of course we're not running the Triangle. No one runs the Triangle. One of these years the reason why that's the case will sink in to the last holdouts.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Beautiful
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure we'll also put more emphasis on running the break, because for some reason, a team of DLo, JC, and Randle barely did it this season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: