Potential of Luke hiring paying dividends
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

drew4lakers wrote:
How would even the analytics dept be able to project next season right now?

It seems like there are too many question marks at this particular moment to really project how the Lakers will do this coming season, especially before seeing how free agency turns out.

I was reading a story that the staff projected around 20 wins last year, next year is probably gonna be evaluated once our roster is set in October.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
You guys are too funny, don't count your chickens before they hatch!!

Well the last few years a lot young ones have taken on to this forum, but time will eventually teach everyone a lesson. Walton does not guarantee anything, and as far as recruiting FA's the problems remain the same. Why would an experienced superstar chasing a championship want to come to a rebuilding program in LA? Because of Walton? Heck NO! I want the Lakers to win as much as everyone else but I've been around long enough to realize that without stablished stars coach don't mean much.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Damn...curmudgeons rising to the top.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Byron's cronies emerging from their fox holes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

War is over.

Even Tank Commander has told his soldiers to lay down arms.
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I found Byron Scott/Kobe's retirement tour absolutely unwatchable. So the hiring has helped renew my interest in the Lakers.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's the same guy with the same tired points.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I know Luke will do a better job than Scott. Beyond that, I don't know. There is so much uncertainty.
The roster is mostly empty, so I can't really judge how he fits. And if we have an unsuccessful free agency, no amount of coaching can make up for the lack of talent.

If Durant didn't get hurt last year. The same 8 teams would have made the Western Conference playoffs since 2013 (including this year)!

Without a strong FA talent influx, that's a hell of a hill to climb via coaching and young players.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:

On the curmudgeon front - I've been a Laker fan since Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West were fighting for their first title as Lakers.

One thing I've learned - life's a lot more fun when you don't piss all over other people's optimism. Give yourself permission to look forward to something new, and be excited now and then. What have you got to lose? Might even live longer.

Luke wasn't my first choice but he was certainly top in my top 5, maybe top 3, and if he's as good as his GSW team says he is then I'm wrong and he's the best choice for this team. Hope that's the case.

As for decent mid-tier free agents, I think it does make a tangible difference having Luke Walton as coach and not Byron Scott.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's the same guy with the same tired points.

Yup *yawn*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

rancar wrote:
I found Byron Scott/Kobe's retirement tour absolutely unwatchable. So the hiring has helped renew my interest in the Lakers.

It seems like you've been away for a while. Welcome back.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
On the curmudgeon front - I've been a Laker fan since Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West were fighting for their first title as Lakers.

One thing I've learned - life's a lot more fun when you don't piss all over other people's optimism. Give yourself permission to look forward to something new, and be excited now and then. What have you got to lose? Might even live longer.

Luke wasn't my first choice but he was certainly top in my top 5, maybe top 3, and if he's as good as his GSW team says he is then I'm wrong and he's the best choice for this team. Hope that's the case.

As for decent mid-tier free agents, I think it does make a tangible difference having Luke Walton as coach and not Byron Scott.

Ah the perspective of experience! GSW team really have Luke's back after the hiring. Good thing to see.

I believe players will want to play in a free flowing and well defined system. Players will like Luke's even tempered attitude. It won't translate into immediate success. That is okay with me. We are still a couple years away from really competing for championships again.

B Scott prob knew the game really well. But he didn't have the patience or communication skills to make in game changes if something wasn't working. Always blamed the players not the system. Seemed to never take responsibility for the team's inability to play good basketball.

Luke strikes me as someone who sees the game really well. And more importantly, can make in game changes and communicate those changes effectively.

This is a breath of fresh-air for sure.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Islandboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
You really think there won't be a "fire Luke Walton" movement by December?

Nope.

BScott was never not a top choice by most Lakers fans.

Neither was Mike D or Mike B.

All 3 came with some blemishes on the coaching record.

Luke does not have those blemishes except of inexperience.

If folks come up with Fire Luke threads in Dec then it is only to get attention.

I am not saying I am going to start them. I am just saying I believe they will be started soon into his tenure.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Wino wrote:
You guys are too funny, don't count your chickens before they hatch!!

Well the last few years a lot young ones have taken on to this forum, but time will eventually teach everyone a lesson. Walton does not guarantee anything, and as far as recruiting FA's the problems remain the same. Why would an experienced superstar chasing a championship want to come to a rebuilding program in LA? Because of Walton? Heck NO! I want the Lakers to win as much as everyone else but I've been around long enough to realize that without stablished stars coach don't mean much.

Yeah, I agree with you. Walton isn't going to bring FAs here by himself. He's unproven. But the combination of Walton, with the young pieces we have, the void left by Kobe for a new star to fill, the history of the franchise, the appearance of upward trajectory, the geographical location, I think those things combined might. So I do think Luke is adding to the mix, but, people like to point at things and say THIS right here is why THAT is happening. We did it with DLO, Kobe, etc.

But in reality, it is almost always a combination of factors.
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Luke was on my list of those NOT to select as the next Laker coach. I to am an optimist and like to cultivate optimism. I do find your post rejuvenating in this regards and am hoping he proves me wrong.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: