Magic Johnson will mentor and work with D'Angelo Russell on and off court
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
DLO sought him out... not the other way around. Nothing odd about it. They had a meeting, hit it off and Magic wants to try and help the kid. Magic may have an agenda and say really stupid things. But in the end, he is a diehard Laker fan. If he can help, he's going to help. It just make it hard to ask him for help because he's been such a public arse about so many thing.

"You want to play the game like you got eyes in da back of your head D'Angelo. When you make that pass, make it with styyyle. Get your teammates support by getting them the ball and make yourself great by winning games young'in!"

DLO: Thanks Magic.

Lol exactly...can't teach what magic had. I guess he may be able to offer advice about handling stardom in Los Angeles, how to be a pro, maybe a few tricks of the trade while playing, but magic was pure talent.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

You realize that Magic was able to pull off the style because he was so fundamentally sound... there's a ton he can teach DLO. Magic improved and added a lot to his game from his rookie year. The baby hook and the outside shooting weren't there when he came into the league.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

I don't know how good of a teacher Magic is. I do know that Magic and Kobe did not click too well. Different personalities and different styles.

Kobe bristled particularly at many of the public criticisms that Magic made on Kobe's style of play.

Based on what I've seen from Russell so far, he's shown me he has more Kobe in him than Magic.

I work with a few Millenials, and I will tell you that the first wrong move you can make with them is to correct them in a way that embarrasses them (ala Byron). Maybe Magic can sugar coat his advice and mentorship enough so that it's more palatable for D'Angelo.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject:

There is lots of comments questioning how Magic will help etc....

None of us truly know the benefits. It is great to see DLO being open and seeking some help and guidance. How this translates to his success is to be determined but it's a great step. I've lost tons of respek on Magic's name in the last decade of so with his antics but I believe the man knows his hoops. I'll wait to pass judgement.

Longtime LG lurker.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLO: So Magic (while DLO slightly adjusts his shirt with the odd lump in it)...did you sleep with more women than Wilt?

THE FACT THAT THIS HAS NOT BEEN QUOTED WITH A IS A DISGRACE...SHAME ON YOU ALL

Sony just applied for a patent for a contact lens that takes pics.

It's Lit!

LOL

I am personally surprised it took this long in the thread to joke about that.

Was waiting for a "Magic will show him how to handle the Forum Club life."

Bye.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:

On a more serious note, if he can teach or emphasize pressing the ball up court more, that would be awesome. I know Magic was one of a kind, but I don't see that enough from the rook. Maybe that's not his game? But if it isn't, it should. Way easier to pass and score with the defense on their heels.
You don't need to be Westbrook to do that. Magic wasn't the fastest out there but he was great that.

Bye.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
On a more serious note, if he can teach or emphasize pressing the ball up court more, that would be awesome. I know Magic was one of a kind, but I don't see that enough from the rook. Maybe that's not his game? But if it isn't, it should. Way easier to pass and score with the defense on their heels.
You don't need to be Westbrook to do that. Magic wasn't the fastest out there but he was great that.

Bye.

This combined with our new coach aka "system" is interesting timing.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:

Bye.

I'm hoping that Luke will implement that as part of their offense. There should be a lot less dribbling and a lot more passing in general. I'm guessing they will try to shift the defense right away as well by not dribbling the ball right up the middle of the floor, and instead getting it to the sidelines.

EDIT: I still can't believe the Lakers really weren't starting their offense and looking for scoring opportunities until there was only 7-8 seconds left on the clock.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Bye.

I'm hoping that Luke will implement that as part of their offense. There should be a lot less dribbling and a lot more passing in general. I'm guessing they will try to shift the defense right away as well by not dribbling the ball right up the middle of the floor, and instead getting it to the sidelines.

EDIT: I still can't believe the Lakers really weren't starting their offense and looking for scoring opportunities until there was only 7-8 seconds left on the clock.

The MANLY thing to do is to run about 13 seconds off the shot clock, allowing the defense to fully set up and rest a few seconds and then telegraph what play you are running and dare them to stop it.
LakerLuke
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject:

Not trying to pile on Magic, but as others have noted he doesn't come off as the best teacher, even if he was an amazing player.

I'd feel a greater confidence if I'd heard he was working with Steve Nash. Last year, Clarkson's progress was insane when they were working together.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

LakerLuke wrote:
Not trying to pile on Magic, but as others have noted he doesn't come off as the best teacher, even if he was an amazing player.

I'd feel a greater confidence if I'd heard he was working with Steve Nash. Last year, Clarkson's progress was insane when they were working together.

I see it as the opposite. I think Magic could see multiple things developing on every play but he would struggle to explain that to somebody who doesn't see it. I think DLo has that same processor in his head, when he's coming down on say a fastbreak, he doesn't just see the standard options that everybody else sees, he sees another option, because he knows he can make that kind of pass, however, every once in awhile, it doesn't work out and when you have a Byron as a coach, you get benched instead of being free to make that mistake and move on to the next play. Byron wants him to sit on the bench and "think about it" but he's already thought about it and how he can either change it or not do it that way again so benching him is pointless.

I suspect DLo is one of the few guys Magic could actually to talk "shop" to and also things like noticing Julius is looking a little down before the game so you make it your goal to set him up for some easy shots to get him going.

I think Magic is the perfect mentor for DLo. DLo could learn from Nash too but if he can speak Magic's language... that's... yeah... that's pretty workable...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: