Magic Johnson will mentor and work with D'Angelo Russell on and off court
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I hope Magic didn't mean mentoring DLO on his Twitter game.

B/c Magic's twitter game isn't very magical.

"It's crazy that I can click the letters and push the tweet button and you all can see what I'm writing!"

"If the Lakers finish with the 8th best record in the Western Conference next season, they'll be back in the playoffs!"

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject:

So Magic actually cares about the Lakers?
With reading so many posts here over the last year, I would think Magic was just trying to hurt the Lakers.

Kudos to Magic and kudos to Russell for wanting to learn from the greatest of all time (at least on offense).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:

magic is the ultimate front runner, when thing goes bad you only see him criticizing. maybe this is a good sign that even magic is starting to believe things will turn for the good in lakerland.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
magic is the ultimate front runner, when thing goes bad you only see him criticizing. maybe this is a good sign that even magic is starting to believe things will turn for the good in lakerland.

Or maybe he's angling for something?

This is the guy who led the Byron Scott intro press conference...

Magic wants to find his way back into ownership IMO
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
If DLO was smart he would learn off court lessons too. For one, the pitfalls of being a star in LA. And two, how to be successful and make money outside of basketball.

The young Lakers are so lucky that there are so many greats still associated with the organization. I mean not everyone gets offered mentoring and and not everyone wants it, but to be learning from Kobe one sec and Magic the next is amazing.

On-court skills mentor -- MAGIC

Off-court skills mentor -- AC GREEN.

DLo will NEVER get in trouble at that rate...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
If DLO was smart he would learn off court lessons too. For one, the pitfalls of being a star in LA. And two, how to be successful and make money outside of basketball.

The young Lakers are so lucky that there are so many greats still associated with the organization. I mean not everyone gets offered mentoring and and not everyone wants it, but to be learning from Kobe one sec and Magic the next is amazing.

No need to hire ac. Madsen is effectively the same thing.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

This always cracks me up:

Johnson fancied himself not merely an entertainer, but a maestro. "If you ever die and go to heaven, you want heaven to be Magic's house parties," said Frank Brickowski, a future Lakers teammate. "He would have the finest girls in L.A. there. The absolute finest. And at midnight you had to get busy with somebody or you had to get the (bleep) out. So if you were a guy, at midnight you'd get as close as you could to the hottest possible woman. Magic went around in this freaky voyeuristic way. He'd check on you. He'd go throughout the house, the pool. He'd order people to start doing things. All you had to be was near a chick. There were guys who would yell, 'Magic, she's not getting busy! She's not!' He'd run over and she'd get busy. Celebrity is seductive in L.A. Girls have this desperation about them, like moths to a flame. It's sad. But when you're young and single, fame matters."
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Or maybe he's angling for something?

This is the guy who led the Byron Scott intro press conference...

Magic wants to find his way back into ownership IMO

Ulterior motives aside, Magic is one of the few players who can help DLo become the PG I hope he can be instead of the SG who can pass many think he should be.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

This always cracks me up:

Johnson fancied himself not merely an entertainer, but a maestro. "If you ever die and go to heaven, you want heaven to be Magic's house parties," said Frank Brickowski, a future Lakers teammate. "He would have the finest girls in L.A. there. The absolute finest. And at midnight you had to get busy with somebody or you had to get the (bleep) out. So if you were a guy, at midnight you'd get as close as you could to the hottest possible woman. Magic went around in this freaky voyeuristic way. He'd check on you. He'd go throughout the house, the pool. He'd order people to start doing things. All you had to be was near a chick. There were guys who would yell, 'Magic, she's not getting busy! She's not!' He'd run over and she'd get busy. Celebrity is seductive in L.A. Girls have this desperation about them, like moths to a flame. It's sad. But when you're young and single, fame matters."

Magic's gift was always creating easy scoring opportunities.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject:

Not to worry. Luke sees him as a pg.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson will mentor and work with D'Angelo Russell on and off court

MJST wrote:
Earvin Magic Johnson
Laker Nation: I had a really good lunch meeting with D'Angelo Russell!
4:57 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726923453186478080

In my meeting with D'Angelo Russell, he picked my brain about the PG position and I'm looking forward to working out with him this summer!
4:59 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726923920733949952

Laker Nation: I'm looking forward to being a mentor to D'Angelo Russell on and off the court.
5:02 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726924762413289472

This is fantastic news!!!!

I've always liked Magic Johnson.

non-player zealot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI&lc=LGCZU4knf18jP6MYsd1n7y_6NAzLouXDJyZlnYaJ9o0

Russell's new mentor. Learn it, know it, live it. By January, the kid is going to be doing everything you see here.

This is the greatest video of the greatest player.

methdxman wrote:
Magic's first advice: use condoms

Cold blooded
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:

from a purely P.R. perspective, this was a great move by D'Lo.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Well, now that Gary Vitti is gone... hopefully our next trainer doesn't bring in women to the locker room for the players to hook up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

DLO: So Magic (while DLO slightly adjusts his shirt with the odd lump in it)...did you sleep with more women than Wilt?
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

This sounds great. The timing is bothersome though. I will just leave it at that.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI&lc=LGCZU4knf18jP6MYsd1n7y_6NAzLouXDJyZlnYaJ9o0

Russell's new mentor. Learn it, know it, live it. By January, the kid is going to be doing everything you see here.

I've watched these highlights so many times, and yet he still catches me off guard sometimes with those passes. That near full length shot still blows my mind.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

This is great news. Dlo with his size and length can learn a lot from Magic and his style of play. Id love to see Dlo crash the board and push the pace immediately to get some easy looks in transition.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

so beautiful...seriously no one like him

And that was just one game

No seriously, it brings a tear to my eye to watch those videos of him. I miss watch him play so much. The energy in the building every night because of him was unbelievable. He will be a great mentor for DLO, even if it's just a few meetings. DLO, should just watch that video everyday.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

i'd personally prefer Nash to mentor DLo on-court. A lot has changed in the NBA since Magic ran PG.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

Magic working with DLO

Shaq working with Whiteside (Once we sign him)

I hope that is the plan.

We will need a lot of guys working on there game maybe with a few legends.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

thanks magic.

Glad to hear that you are helping our team.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:

Not that he wouldn't have valuable experience to share, but I'm not convinced he'd make a good dev coach. His brief coaching stint didn't go well and he almost never says anything insightful in his role as an analyst. I think he had more natural talent than anybody who has ever played, which might also not be a great jumping off point to being a teacher. But if it helps that's great.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Not that he wouldn't have valuable experience to share, but I'm not convinced he'd make a good dev coach. His brief coaching stint didn't go well and he almost never says anything insightful in his role as an analyst. I think he had more natural talent than anybody who has ever played, which might also not be a great jumping off point to being a teacher. But if it helps that's great.

I think his value is much more off of the court. There are hundreds of people who can coach Russell on how to play basketball. I'm sure Magic will share his thoughts, but that's not his value here. How many people in the world know what it's like to be a high profile 20 year old, chasing (bleep) and drawing paparazzi as a member of the LA Lakers? Kobe? Magic? Anyone else? That's the real value of developing a relationship with Magic, IMO.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
15 wrote:
mentor? yea right. byron probably colluded with magic to meet with dlo and sabotage his career with useless advice

"Now D'Angelo, the key to success is the NBA is to have wild crazy sex parties every weekend, just like I did."

I was waiting for that one!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Those were some awesome days!! Best era for basketball on any level. That was a team to love, pure excitement. And as much as I loved Kobe at his peak, the Showtime team was the best. You never knew who was gonna dominate on any day but you knew that Magic was the conductor!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: