Schadenfreude, Lakers style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
Lebronze best shot he might have for the rest of his career... Especially if GSW add a major name next off-season. Yet again he benefits from a watered down east. I hope whoever comes out of the west is healthy enough and able to beat them. I don't love the OKC matchup vs them though. I think the Cavs win that going away.

Not to worry. GSW is solidly favored against OKC, and I'm confident GSW would beat Lebron in the finals, especially since they'd have home court advantage.

Outside of the Lakers winning the world championship, there is nothing else in sports more satisfying than Lebron losing in the championship series and looking crestfallen.

I wouldn't speak so quickly. GS had problems with a vastly-inferior Portland, and look to have their hands full with an improved OKC team with a full head of steam & momentum. And, remember--Cleveland, WITHOUT Kyrie & Love, STILL took GS to 6 games last year. And GS looks tired, still a little beat up. Anything can happen....

You're right, anything can happen. But CLE probably won't be favored against GSW in the finals, and if Lebron doesn't win the title this year, it'll only get tougher for him. Let's not forget that CLE had alleged chemistry problems until the last few weeks.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) the spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

this was glorious.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
iceberg01 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
Lebronze best shot he might have for the rest of his career... Especially if GSW add a major name next off-season. Yet again he benefits from a watered down east. I hope whoever comes out of the west is healthy enough and able to beat them. I don't love the OKC matchup vs them though. I think the Cavs win that going away.

Not to worry. GSW is solidly favored against OKC, and I'm confident GSW would beat Lebron in the finals, especially since they'd have home court advantage.

Outside of the Lakers winning the world championship, there is nothing else in sports more satisfying than Lebron losing in the championship series and looking crestfallen.

I wouldn't speak so quickly. GS had problems with a vastly-inferior Portland, and look to have their hands full with an improved OKC team with a full head of steam & momentum. And, remember--Cleveland, WITHOUT Kyrie & Love, STILL took GS to 6 games last year. And GS looks tired, still a little beat up. Anything can happen....

You're right, anything can happen. But CLE probably won't be favored against GSW in the finals, and if Lebron doesn't win the title this year, it'll only get tougher for him. Let's not forget that CLE had alleged chemistry problems until the last few weeks.

I agree, with the hold your horses mantra. Lebronze will be on a mission - I'm sure he feels slighted by all the GS praise, and GS is not playing at its peak right now. He almost took Cleveland on his back last year to the title. Iggy would need another monster series for them to win in my mind. The only advantage GS gains from last year in my book is Lue is unimpressive as a head coach, but some of that coaching disadvantage will be mitigated by the fact that he witnessed how GS would play them last year.

In terms of health, they'll be the healthier side this year. In terms of being motivated, they'll have that edge too... this reminds me of the second Celtics series the Lakers had. The Lakers had all the motivation and while bean town had dominated the previous one, the Lakers had all the intangibles on their end.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
noobie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

Spurs losing is a treat that just keeps on giving.

1) Aldridge probably regrets or will regret leaving Portland as they have a much brighter future than the old Spurs.

2) I can't see Durant heading to Spurs after bouncing them in the playoffs head to head.

3) Poppovich one liners.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

noobie wrote:
Spurs losing is a treat that just keeps on giving.

1) Aldridge probably regrets or will regret leaving Portland as they have a much brighter future than the old Spurs.

2) I can't see Durant heading to Spurs after bouncing them in the playoffs head to head.

3) Poppovich one liners.

This.

Actually, I LIKE Pop and I like how the Sp*rs operate as an organization. Floppo Ginobili, Brick Bowen and Pussycat Barry - along with the whiniest fans in the NBA - have placed the Sp*rs a micrometer ahead of Boston as the team I hate the most.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
It's really unfair that CP3 to lakers was vetoed but garnett to boston was not

for the millionth time, New Orleans was league owned so therefore, they had the right to veto any trade. Boston is and was not league owned.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

for the millionth time, New Orleans was league owned so therefore, they had the right to veto any trade. Boston is and was not league owned.

for the millionth time. it's not that new orleans was league owned. it's that a trade was agreed to, then denied after the fact. it's not like the lakers asked for a trade and they simply said no. they said yes, word got out, everything was in place, formal agreements were made. then they said no. sheesh.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Let me just add, "league owned" means it was owned by every team in the league equally. Not David Stern. So when the crybaby owners realized we have a better GM than theirs because we made a move to obtain a young superstar and save money in the long run, (with the crippling new CBA on the horizon) they called in to complain.

Hate it all you want. It was perfectly legal and when some of you guys take your blinders off, it was a smart move by the owners.

New Orleans being sold shortly after (conveniently) with the first pick in the draft is something to raise an eyebrow to.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

for the millionth time. it's not that new orleans was league owned. it's that a trade was agreed to, then denied after the fact. it's not like the lakers asked for a trade and they simply said no. they said yes, word got out, everything was in place, formal agreements were made. then they said no. sheesh.

This can't be a surprise to some of you guys. We had a mutual agreement with NO to make that trade. Not the entire league. As soon as the rest of the owners got word of it, they voiced their complaints. What other order should it go in?

For the record, I wasn't too excited about the trade at the time. I didn't hate it, but I was just unsure about trading one of our greatest strengths (dominant frontcourt) to go smaller and have a thinner bench. What really screwed us was the fact the Pau and LO were pissed off as a result.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject:

CP3 is schadenfreude in that the Clippers remain the Clippers . . . only with a better regular season record. As long as Sterling remains intact without a stake through his heart, their championship ideals remain in the dark.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
slavavov wrote:
iceberg01 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:

I agree, with the hold your horses mantra. Lebronze will be on a mission - I'm sure he feels slighted by all the GS praise, and GS is not playing at its peak right now. He almost took Cleveland on his back last year to the title. Iggy would need another monster series for them to win in my mind. The only advantage GS gains from last year in my book is Lue is unimpressive as a head coach, but some of that coaching disadvantage will be mitigated by the fact that he witnessed how GS would play them last year.

In terms of health, they'll be the healthier side this year. In terms of being motivated, they'll have that edge too... this reminds me of the second Celtics series the Lakers had. The Lakers had all the motivation and while bean town had dominated the previous one, the Lakers had all the intangibles on their end.

My only question is what is Cleveland going to do once the Dubs put Kevin Love in that torture chamber called the pick and roll? Love's defense might keep him on the bench for key stretches of the game. I think GS wins in no more than six games, probably fewer. I mean how much resistance has Cleveland faced? How will they react if they drop a couple games on the road? If recent past is prologue then the Cavs are in for a spanking.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

This can't be a surprise to some of you guys. We had a mutual agreement with NO to make that trade. Not the entire league. As soon as the rest of the owners got word of it, they voiced their complaints. What other order should it go in?

For the record, I wasn't too excited about the trade at the time. I didn't hate it, but I was just unsure about trading one of our greatest strengths (dominant frontcourt) to go smaller and have a thinner bench. What really screwed us was the fact the Pau and LO were pissed off as a result.

Do you blame Lamar and Pau? I don't. Permanent damage was done. League should've compensated the Lakers with a couple first rounders or something of that order. League screwed up, end of story. They should've had a mechanism in place that all parties (stern and the owners) agree to a trade in conjunction with the hornets before any trade is agreed to, written or verbal. I think the lakers had a good case against the NBA.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
CP3 is schadenfreude in that the Clippers remain the Clippers . . . only with a better regular season record. As long as Sterling remains intact without a stake through his heart, their championship ideals remain in the dark.

this is hilarious!
kermitwashington
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

this was glorious.

Loved every minute of it.

GREAT POST, Dr. Laker!
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:

Hate it all you want. It was perfectly legal and when some of you guys take your blinders off, it was a smart move by the owners.

New Orleans being sold shortly after (conveniently) with the first pick in the draft is something to raise an eyebrow to.

Blinders got nothing to do with it. It was legal, but it was also unprecidented in the history of major American sports (as far as I can find out) and something Phil Jackson called a year in advance.

On top of that, David $tern said ahead of time that the franchise would operate autonomously. I guess he wrong.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Legacy wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Do you blame Lamar and Pau? I don't. Permanent damage was done. League should've compensated the Lakers with a couple first rounders or something of that order. League screwed up, end of story. They should've had a mechanism in place that all parties (stern and the owners) agree to a trade in conjunction with the hornets before any trade is agreed to, written or verbal. I think the lakers had a good case against the NBA.

This. I doubt the league would've said "oh well, tough luck" if this had happened to one of their precious small-market teams. They probably assumed since it was the Lakers that they'd be alright afterwards.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Legacy wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

This. I doubt the league would've said "oh well, tough luck" if this had happened to one of their precious small-market teams. They probably assumed since it was the Lakers that they'd be alright afterwards.

That veto destroyed the Lakers. It destroyed it so much that we scowl at Jim Buss and the front office everyday for not being able to field a team. Coaches in the NBA are getting fired after winning COY and winning .600 of their games.

The players have gotten bent over in the last 2 CBA's. Michele Roberts is a ball breaker, I wish she had been around when David Stern was around because I like Adam Silver and think he isn't the piece of (bleep) David Stern was.

These stipulations with trades and restrictions are so stupid. The college rule. So much needs to change and I hope they change drastically in the next CBA.

Let high school players come to the NBA or serve 3 years in college. Give them that choice and that will help their development more without having to force them to go to school for one semester and a make a mockery of their stay in college.

Enough of the rules on players leaving their current team. Either give them free agency or don't. It's stupid. And matching contracts is another stupid thing.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

This is the part that was messed up. The fact that Stern initially let the trade go through and everyone was notified, as per the rules. THEN the arsewipe excrement vetoed the trade and Odom ended out in intensive care, Pau left after he felt humiliated and we also did not get Paul.

We got royally screwed in that deal and I will personally hate Stern for it until the day I die. Don't care what the F wad did other than that. He screwed us for at least a decade and we should have taken the NBA to court and sued their butts over it!
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Schadenfreude, Lakers style

Dr. Laker wrote:
I've been fairly absent from this board the last 4 seasons - not from a lack of zeal, but increased job responsibilities and a commitment to making my wife less of a "computer widow" have probably limited me to under 100 total posts since 2013.

In any event, my love for the P&G has continued to burn even as their record has plummeted. While there hasn't been much to shout about for the Lakers, there has been plenty to smile about with respect to our foes. This will seem pathetic to some, but this is what has fueled my NBA-related joy of late:

1 - The Houston Effing Rockets.

Ah, the joys of watching Darryl "Prince of Nerds" Morey and his analytics machine crash & burn! The sweet savor of Dwight Howard's tears as the Rox exit in the 1st round for the 2nd time in 3 seasons! The delicious drollery of a locker room going nuclear whilst everyone involved pretends that all is well!

2 - The Accursed Los Angeles Clippers

Tiny Archibald's achilles. Bill Walton's feet. Brian Taylor's achilles. Michael Brook's knee. Norm Nixon's knee. Marques Johnson's neck. Derek Smith's knee. Danny Manning's knee. Ron Harper's knee. Loy Vaught's back. Elton Brand's achilles. Shaun Livingston's knee. Blake Griffin's kneecap. Chauncy Billups' achilles. A bad enough legacy in and of itself. Now add - after Steph Curry goes down and the doorway opens for the Clips . . . BOOM! . . . CP3 and Griffin go down in the same game and the door slams shut! Die, Clippers. Again.

3 - The Queens and George Karl

Like an In-N-Out Double-Double with cheese, you get extra value at a small price! The Queens hold Boogie Cousins hostage rather than dealing him to the Lakers and pay the price. They still stink and their lockerroom goes Chernobyl. You should've moved to Vegas, rubes. Even better, the smug, arrogant Laker-baiting know it all named George Karl proves that his sell-by date passed about 10 years ago. Enjoy unemployment, George.

4 - LeBron's Bald Spot*

Tick . . . tick . . . tick . . . 31 years old and 2 NBA Titles. Kobe had FIVE at age 31. You've still got time, Bronnie, but if Steph's ankle's hold up, you aren't getting one this year, either. Tick . . . tick . . . tick . . .

5 - Lurch

Heh heh heh. You clothes-lined Rambis. You let Googs walk for nothing rather than sign-and-trade him to LA for Eddie/Elden/#1. You gift-wrapped KG to Ainge instead of trading him for Bynum. You wooed D12 away from the P&G. But your post-playing career legacy? Awful GM and lousy coach. Kick rocks, loser!

My P&G will be back on top, soon, but until then, I have plenty to keep me going.

* - note: if LBJ signs with the Lakers, I will officially root for him to pass Kobe.

I feel better already, Doc. Just what the Doc ordered!
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

That was well worth the wait Doc.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

This is the part that was messed up. The fact that Stern initially let the trade go through and everyone was notified, as per the rules. THEN the arsewipe excrement vetoed the trade and Odom ended out in intensive care, Pau left after he felt humiliated and we also did not get Paul.

We got royally screwed in that deal and I will personally hate Stern for it until the day I die. Don't care what the F wad did other than that. He screwed us for at least a decade and we should have taken the NBA to court and sued their butts over it!

There are a ton of things wrong with the veto. The Lakers were poised to save a bit of money that trade that would have led to the rumored second move they were going to make, i.e .acquiring David West to fill the void left by Gasol. But piece of crap owners like Cleveland not only whined about it, but cried that they wouldn't be getting their share of the luxury tax payments if the trade went through. So in essence, the trade robbed the Lakers of not only getting a younger impact player, but also saving money in the process. And you know in the salary cap era how vital it is to have that cap space to make secondary and tertiary moves. Then the fallout from the failed trade just made things worse. If Stern was any sort of real commissioner, he should've smoothed things over with all the franchises involved. There's no way Mitch could have foreseen such an event after working so hard to make the trade happen.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject:

May I just add another point. In a year with two players in the draft who are clearly miles above the rest and a sharp drop off to the next jumble of undefinable talent,

green drafts 3rd.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Schadenfreude, Lakers style

Dr. Laker wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
I've been fairly absent from this board the last 4 seasons - not from a lack of zeal, but increased job responsibilities and a commitment to making my wife less of a "computer widow" have probably limited me to under 100 total posts since 2013.

In any event, my love for the P&G has continued to burn even as their record has plummeted. While there hasn't been much to shout about for the Lakers, there has been plenty to smile about with respect to our foes. This will seem pathetic to some, but this is what has fueled my NBA-related joy of late:

1 - The Houston Effing Rockets.

Ah, the joys of watching Darryl "Prince of Nerds" Morey and his analytics machine crash & burn! The sweet savor of Dwight Howard's tears as the Rox exit in the 1st round for the 2nd time in 3 seasons! The delicious drollery of a locker room going nuclear whilst everyone involved pretends that all is well!

2 - The Accursed Los Angeles Clippers

Tiny Archibald's achilles. Bill Walton's feet. Brian Taylor's achilles. Michael Brook's knee. Norm Nixon's knee. Marques Johnson's neck. Derek Smith's knee. Danny Manning's knee. Ron Harper's knee. Loy Vaught's back. Elton Brand's achilles. Shaun Livingston's knee. Blake Griffin's kneecap. Chauncy Billups' achilles. A bad enough legacy in and of itself. Now add - after Steph Curry goes down and the doorway opens for the Clips . . . BOOM! . . . CP3 and Griffin go down in the same game and the door slams shut! Die, Clippers. Again.

3 - The Queens and George Karl

Like an In-N-Out Double-Double with cheese, you get extra value at a small price! The Queens hold Boogie Cousins hostage rather than dealing him to the Lakers and pay the price. They still stink and their lockerroom goes Chernobyl. You should've moved to Vegas, rubes. Even better, the smug, arrogant Laker-baiting know it all named George Karl proves that his sell-by date passed about 10 years ago. Enjoy unemployment, George.

4 - LeBron's Bald Spot*

Tick . . . tick . . . tick . . . 31 years old and 2 NBA Titles. Kobe had FIVE at age 31. You've still got time, Bronnie, but if Steph's ankle's hold up, you aren't getting one this year, either. Tick . . . tick . . . tick . . .

5 - Lurch

Heh heh heh. You clothes-lined Rambis. You let Googs walk for nothing rather than sign-and-trade him to LA for Eddie/Elden/#1. You gift-wrapped KG to Ainge instead of trading him for Bynum. You wooed D12 away from the P&G. But your post-playing career legacy? Awful GM and lousy coach. Kick rocks, loser!

My P&G will be back on top, soon, but until then, I have plenty to keep me going.

* - note: if LBJ signs with the Lakers, I will officially root for him to pass Kobe.

6 - Sp*rs

Franchise Record 67 wins . . . NBA Record 40-1 Home Record . . . Tim "Mr. Spock" Duncan on the verge of getting his 6th NBA Title . . . Pop on the verge of surpassing PJax' 5 LA Titles . . . and they get SPANKED - knocked out in the 2nd round. NO 6th ring, Timmay! NO 6th ring, Pop! No 3-peat! Not even a back2back! 21st Century record: Lakers 5 rings, Sp*rs 4 rings. Eat it, hayseeds!

7 - The Dubs

Hey, I like GS and I LOVE The Logo, but let's face it - Kerr gets a "genius" tag for walking into a tailor made situation and now we'll get to see the 73 win darlings choke away the WCF. You can't claim a dynasty w/o a threepeat and you cannot threepeat without a back2back. Sorry, Dubs: SoCal still rules!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: