George Zimmerman auctioning off the the gun used to kill Trayvon Martin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

Bids in George Zimmerman gun auction up to $65M

LINK
Quote:

Zimmerman, 32, said he planned to use the proceeds from the sale of the gun, which he described as "an American Firearm Icon," to fight "Black Lives Matter" violence against law enforcement officers and to counter "Hillary Clinton's anti-firearm rhetoric." He also said money would be used to "ensure the demise of Angela Correy's (sic) persecution career." Corey was the special prosecutor appointed to investigate Martin's death.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Apparently, the bidding has crested $65M ... fake accounts or not, I guess that says a lot about people. Meanwhile, continue to (bleep) yourself, George.

I think it says a lot about people too, in a good way. They don't want to see that scum bag profiting from the murder of an innocent.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
the association wrote:
Apparently, the bidding has crested $65M ... fake accounts or not, I guess that says a lot about people. Meanwhile, continue to (bleep) yourself, George.

I think it says a lot about people too, in a good way. They don't want to see that scum bag profiting from the murder of an innocent.

There are some who feel Zimmerman is scum, he also has people who feel as he does. Unless I'm reading wrong the gun is still up for auction.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
the association wrote:

There are some who feel Zimmerman is scum, he also has people who feel as he does. Unless I'm reading wrong the gun is still up for auction.

Even Zimmerman's most ardent fans won't pony up $65 million for his firearm. Anything in that bidding stratosphere is clearly an attempt to sabotage the auction.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
the association wrote:

Perhaps you're right ... and maybe I'm too old to understand contemporary social motivations. Trolling, malingering, all of these (bleep)-off ways that otherwise feeble individuals seek to trouble others or draw attention to their existence. It's just (bleep) weird ...

Growing up in the very late 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s, if you didn't agree with someone, you either ignored them or engaged in what should have been known at the time as constructive confrontation. Now, courtesy of the internet, we have armies of individuals hiding behind keyboards who flippantly acknowledge "trolling" others, presumably just because they are bored. Again, it's (bleep) weird.

Anyway, this abomination will probably find some simpatico nut job with similarly despicable interests who will exchange a tall stack of high society for that firearm ... $65M + may not be a realistic number, but a big in the 6 - 7 digit range wouldn't surprise me (unfortunately). Here's to hoping I'm wrong, though.

Last edited by the association on Fri May 13, 2016 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
the association wrote:

Even Zimmerman's most ardent fans won't pony up $65 million for his firearm. Anything in that bidding stratosphere is clearly an attempt to sabotage the auction.

$65 million is probably a false outrageous bid. Unless I'm reading wrong the gun is still up for auction. If so Zimmerman will make money. I believe his saying he'll use the money to fight Hillary Clinton, BLM and Angela Cory is a ruse. His saying if the gun isn't sold he'll put it in a safe never to be seen again is a part of the ruse.
Quote:
Zimmerman has had several run-ins with the law since Martin's shooting, including domestic abuse charges and an alleged road rage incident. In a conversation with Fox35 in Orlando, he said if he doesn't sell the firearm, it will go in a safe and "never be used or seen again."

I belive he's going to make some money.

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
the association wrote:

$65 million is probably a false outrageous bid. Unless I'm reading wrong the gun is still up for auction. If so Zimmerman will make money. I believe his saying he'll use the money to fight Hillary Clinton, BLM and Angela Cory is a ruse. His saying if the gun isn't sold he'll put it in a safe never to be seen again is a part of the ruse.
Quote:
Zimmerman has had several run-ins with the law since Martin's shooting, including domestic abuse charges and an alleged road rage incident. In a conversation with Fox35 in Orlando, he said if he doesn't sell the firearm, it will go in a safe and "never be used or seen again."

Apparently, the individual behind that top-end bid has submitted several other huge bids leading up to that hugest of bids. And the latest new I saw on the subject is that there is a potentially legitimate bid in the $250 - $300K range. What a joke ...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
the association wrote:

Quote:

Apparently, the individual behind that top-end bid has submitted several other huge bids leading up to that hugest of bids. And the latest new I saw on the subject is that there is a potentially legitimate bid in the $250 - $300K range. What a joke ...

$250 - $300k? What does that say about people?

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
the association wrote:

Quote:

Come on. Everyone knows gun nutters are angels who cry when a house fly is killed, are ready to give their lives to defend one legged grandmothers, and crap rose petals that smell of potpourri. Salt of the earth I tell ya. Salt of the earth. Now they are putting their money where their mouth is at and standing up to take a murder weapon off the street so no one can ever again be harmed with it. These 'Merican icons should be celebrated!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
the association wrote:

Quote:

$250 - $300k? What does that say about people?

Sorry ... $485K ... I was off-the-mark by a lot.

I guess we should hope it's another disruptive bid. But if not, for me, it says that there individuals walking amongst us who possess a disturbing lack of regard for human life, as well as a profound failure to understand the gravity of what this rounding error did with that object. People are (bleep), news at 11.

http://gawker.com/racist-mcshootface-drives-auction-price-of-george-zim-1776436650
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject:

$250k final

http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/20/george-zimmerman-sells-trayvon-martin-gun-250-thousand-dollars/
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject:

I bet Hassan whiteside bought it
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
We're told it's now a done deal at the $250k price tag. Still unclear if the purchaser will remain anonymous.

Won't stay anonymous long. I'm puzzled as to what kind of person and why they'd want the gun? It's not like it's going to be a part of history like the pistols used in the Hamilton, Burr duel.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

It's quite possible that the anonymous buyer is doing so to ensure that the gun doesn't end up in the hands of someone who will exploit it and sensationalize it. It's possible that an altruistic person has decided that paying Zimmerman for the gun is a necessary way to prevent the gun from becoming a disgusting piece of public display.

I know if I had serious "Eff-You Money", I'd buy that gun and either give it to Martin's family to dispose of as they wish, or destroy it myself.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
We're told it's now a done deal at the $250k price tag. Still unclear if the purchaser will remain anonymous.

Won't stay anonymous long. I'm puzzled as to what kind of person and why they'd want the gun? It's not like it's going to be a part of history like the pistols used in the Hamilton, Burr duel.

I think there are many parallels between Racists and the remaining Lepers at Kalaupapa. Even though segregation of Lepers officially ended in 1969, a number still chose to remain. They simply felt more comfortable with not having to assimilate into society at large.

Racists too are a dying breed and as their numbers dwindle, it's understandable that some will take any opportunity to cling to a dying world that resides in their memories. Holding onto symbols like this gun is a way for them to tangibly cling to an idea they cherish. Everyday, things get more difficult for dyed in the wool racists. They're constantly ridiculed and made to feel inferior to normal people. Anything that makes them feel they still matter, even if it's fleeting, is something they'll gravitate to. Kind of a way for them to feel as if they're fighting their way off the endangered species list and not have to feel like they're just some sideshow carnival attraction.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

^^^^ Makes sense.

gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It's quite possible that the anonymous buyer is doing so to ensure that the gun doesn't end up in the hands of someone who will exploit it and sensationalize it. It's possible that an altruistic person has decided that paying Zimmerman for the gun is a necessary way to prevent the gun from becoming a disgusting piece of public display.

I know if I had serious "Eff-You Money", I'd buy that gun and either give it to Martin's family to dispose of as they wish, or destroy it myself.

Yeah but you'd also be incentivizing a pretty deplorable act.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Clearly this type of thing is already incentivized. Again, perhaps a necessary evil to preventing further exploitation. If that restaurant owner who was the original auction had placed it on display with a plaque celebrating, that'd be something I would feel justified in preventing, even if it rewards Zimmerman's greed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I find that difficult to believe. I'm more inclined to go with the racist scenario presented by Aussiesuede.

If the buyer publicly destroys the gun I'll believe that reason for buying.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
gng930 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Clearly this type of thing is already incentivized. Again, perhaps a necessary evil to preventing further exploitation. If that restaurant owner who was the original auction had placed it on display with a plaque celebrating, that'd be something I would feel justified in preventing, even if it rewards Zimmerman's greed.

Only problem is that you have to outbid someone else. So winning means that you gave him more than he otherwise would have gotten.

When all is said and done, it's just a gun. And bidding that much for it does a part in elevating it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
gng930 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Only problem is that you have to outbid someone else. So winning means that you gave him more than he otherwise would have gotten.

When all is said and done, it's just a gun. And bidding that much for it does a part in elevating it.

I'm not an idiot. I know how auctions work and am aware of where the money goes.

The point is that in an instance like this, where Zimmerman is going to make his money no matter WHO makes the purchase, if there's an opportunity to prevent even more impropriety by keeping the gun away from someone who is going to exploit its existence through sensationalism when you can make it disappear, it is money well spent.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:

If I collected expensive things, that sounds like a pretty cool piece to add to the collection. And I never liked Zimmerman, if you remember which side I was on in the Zimmerman threads.

And at the same time, with the auction couldn't you make the argument that you aren't giving Zimmerman $250,000K, because without your bid he was already going to get $249,500 from the previous bidder, so your bid din't make much of a difference percentage wise. And you may have just had the quicker trigger. Someone else may have been willing to pay $250K max, and you beat him to the punch.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
If I collected expensive things, that sounds like a pretty cool piece to add to the collection.

Seriously?

Quote:
And I never liked Zimmerman, if you remember which side I was on in the Zimmerman threads.

And at the same time, with the auction couldn't you make the argument that you aren't giving Zimmerman $250,000K, because without your bid he was already going to get $249,500 from the previous bidder, so your bid din't make much of a difference percentage wise. And you may have just had the quicker trigger. Someone else may have been willing to pay $250K max, and you beat him to the punch.

There in is the point. By not bidding you are not preventing anything. The auction is going to take place, and people are going to bid. But if you can outbid someone who has further distasteful plans for the gun, you actually have made a difference.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
If I collected expensive things, that sounds like a pretty cool piece to add to the collection.

Seriously?

Quote:
And I never liked Zimmerman, if you remember which side I was on in the Zimmerman threads.

There in is the point. By not bidding you are not preventing anything. The auction is going to take place, and people are going to bid. But if you can outbid someone who has further distasteful plans for the gun, you actually have made a difference.

Yes it would be a cool piece to have, a piece of history. Now go ahead and give your holier than thou diatribe.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Seriously?

Quote:

Yes it would be a cool piece to have, a piece of history. Now go ahead and give your holier than thou diatribe.

No need for any holier than though approach. I'll just let things speak for themselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: