George Zimmerman auctioning off the the gun used to kill Trayvon Martin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yes it would be a cool piece to have, a piece of history. Now go ahead and give your holier than thou diatribe.

Sure a "Collector" might find it a kewl addition to the collection, but for $250,000? That's just an insanely high price. That's 10 times higher than any single item from the Hitler auction was able to get. $25,000 for a sterling silver cigar box. There simply isn't a large enough nostalgia market for murder weapons that makes $250,000 anything but a stupid investment. Again, that's 10 times the amount that any authentic Hitler memorabilia was able to garner. And even though Zimmerman is a creep, he's certainly not in Hitler's league. That's why this was clearly a passion purchase since those don't need to make any sense. The racist that purchased it probably is able to get off just by touching it.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
If I collected expensive things, that sounds like a pretty cool piece to add to the collection.

Seriously?

Quote:
And I never liked Zimmerman, if you remember which side I was on in the Zimmerman threads.

And at the same time, with the auction couldn't you make the argument that you aren't giving Zimmerman $250,000K, because without your bid he was already going to get $249,500 from the previous bidder, so your bid din't make much of a difference percentage wise. And you may have just had the quicker trigger. Someone else may have been willing to pay $250K max, and you beat him to the punch.

There in is the point. By not bidding you are not preventing anything. The auction is going to take place, and people are going to bid. But if you can outbid someone who has further distasteful plans for the gun, you actually have made a difference.

Buy a gun with history of violence to use for something distasteful. I believe thinking that way is really a stretch.

DMR, I'm going to go out on a limb. I think you're a person with character. I don't think you really believe what you're inking. IMO you're attempting to be the consummate contrarian. Introducing possibilities, debating for the sake of debate. JMHO

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
If I collected expensive things, that sounds like a pretty cool piece to add to the collection.

Seriously?

Quote:
And I never liked Zimmerman, if you remember which side I was on in the Zimmerman threads.

And at the same time, with the auction couldn't you make the argument that you aren't giving Zimmerman $250,000K, because without your bid he was already going to get $249,500 from the previous bidder, so your bid din't make much of a difference percentage wise. And you may have just had the quicker trigger. Someone else may have been willing to pay $250K max, and you beat him to the punch.

There in is the point. By not bidding you are not preventing anything. The auction is going to take place, and people are going to bid. But if you can outbid someone who has further distasteful plans for the gun, you actually have made a difference.

Buy a gun with history of violence to use for something distasteful. I believe thinking that way is really a stretch.

Not a stretch at all. The person who spends that kind of money for something like that isn't going to just hide it away and ignore they have it. One of our own members here is on record as saying how cool it would be to own it. The guy who was outbid was a restaurant/bar owner. It's not a stretch at all to to think he intended to display it in some fashion - the same way Hard Rock Cafe displays "memorabilia".

Quote:
DMR, I'm going to go out on a limb. I think you're a person with character. I don't think you really believe what you're inking. IMO you're attempting to be the consummate contrarian. Introducing possibilities, debating for the sake of debate. JMHO

Excuse me? What would be "contrarian" about saying that it'd be great if whomever bought the gun did so to make such a distasteful item disappear so it wasn't a collectable to be ogled over?

Are you seriously a proponent of this item being treated like a reasonable item to proudly own?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Excuse me? What would be "contrarian" about saying that it'd be great if whomever bought the gun did so to make such a distasteful item disappear so it wasn't a collectable to be ogled over?

I don't believe you really think a person would buy the gun to make it disappear. It'd be more likely the latter, a collectible to ogle over.

Quote:

Are you seriously a proponent of this item being treated like a reasonable item to proudly own?

What did I post to give you that impression?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:

I don't believe you really think a person would buy the gun to make it disappear. It'd be more likely the latter, a collectible to ogle over.

You obviously haven't been actually reading my posts. I specifically stated that if it were in my financial power, I would do exactly that. And I was very clear about the motivations for doing so. I'm also very sincere about that rationale. Given the fact that I feel that way, I believe that there are others with enough compassion for the Martins to share my views.

There's absolutely nothing "contrarian" about such a position. Quite the opposite. It's a position of compassion and substance. I am stunned that there's anyone who wouldn't want to see that gun removed from the hands of disgustingly morbid collectors.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:

You obviously haven't been actually reading my posts. I specifically stated that if it were in my financial power, I would do exactly that. And I was very clear about the motivations for doing so. I'm also very sincere about that rationale. Given the fact that I feel that way, I believe that there are others with enough compassion for the Martins to share my views.

There's absolutely nothing "contrarian" about such a position. Quite the opposite. It's a position of compassion and substance. I am stunned that there's anyone who wouldn't want to see that gun removed from the hands of disgustingly morbid collectors.

OK. I've read your post and concede you may buy and destroy the gun. I have a hard time believing the person who actually purchased the atrocity did it for the same purpose you ink you would.

I lean more towards the reason Aussie posted.

You wrote
Quote:

My response
Quote:

You didn't address this.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I recall someone buying some drawings by Gacy (iirc) that were auctioned off and the buyer supposedly intended to destroy them to prevent the chance that they would linger on as a morbid curiosity which other weirdos might use to glorify him (serial killers have a lot of clingers, especially hard-up women).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:

OK. I've read your post and concede you may buy and destroy the gun. I have a hard time believing the person who actually purchased the atrocity did it for the same purpose you ink you would.

You wrote
Quote:

My response
Quote:

You didn't address this.

Sorry. I should have proofread before posting. What I was meaning to ask was are you really a proponent of the idea that the only reason someone might buy this item is to be a proud owner and not to keep it from falling into they hands of one?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
This guy is the absolute worst ... whether or not you believe he is the murderer of an unarmed 17 year old (I think he is) or that he's an unrepentant, repeat domestic violence offender (again, I think he is), his Twitter feed alone should be enough to make anyone find him beyond deplorable as a human being. And if the argument is that he says and does these things for shock value because he's been maligned by a large segment of society and just doesn't care anymore, that's just more evidence to me that this guy probably isn't going to live a full, productive and happy life.

George Zimmerman, Grayson Allen and Martin Shkreli would make for a PHENOMENAL punchable face trifecta ...

I think it's more that the only lifeline he has is to appeal to the most vile racists in our society. How much racism he genuinely possesses, I have no idea.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:

I'm still wanting to know what did I post to give you the impression ?

You wrote
Quote:

My response
Quote:

You didn't address this.

Sorry. I should have proofread before posting. What I was meaning to ask was are you really a proponent of the idea that the only reason someone might buy this item is to be a proud owner and not to keep it from falling into they hands of one?

No, I'm sure there are more DMR's in our society, kudos for being in the group. I think that number is so minuscule the person who actually bought the gun is probably not in it.

The racial attitude in America as is doesn't support your stance as it being high on a reality scale. If I had to place it on a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give it 3.

Again I lean more towards the reason being that of the scenario Aussiesuede posted.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
the association wrote:
This guy is the absolute worst ... whether or not you believe he is the murderer of an unarmed 17 year old (I think he is) or that he's an unrepentant, repeat domestic violence offender (again, I think he is), his Twitter feed alone should be enough to make anyone find him beyond deplorable as a human being. And if the argument is that he says and does these things for shock value because he's been maligned by a large segment of society and just doesn't care anymore, that's just more evidence to me that this guy probably isn't going to live a full, productive and happy life.

George Zimmerman, Grayson Allen and Martin Shkreli would make for a PHENOMENAL punchable face trifecta ...

I think it's more that the only lifeline he has is to appeal to the most vile racists in our society. How much racism he genuinely possesses, I have no idea.

Maybe he should be Trump's running mate.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
the association wrote:

Maybe he should be Trump's running mate.

Yeah, they're in similar shoes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: