Your favorite quarters in Lakers history

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Your favorite quarters in Lakers history

Another one of my random history threads that are utterly meaningless but I enjoy and maybe people other than NPZ do as well. But I was just thinking of this today. My favorite specific quarters in Lakers history. Not a game, not a half, but one 12-minute session (or, if you want to cheat, OT). My list:

5. Fourth Quarter comeback vs. Mavericks, 2002
This didn't lead to a title and the season ended in blowout fashion against the Spurs. But that ridiculous comeback against Dallas still stands out. The Lakers were struggling, with Shaq coming off the injury, terrible record and Dallas absolutely storming through the league. But the champions still showed they had a little something with Kobe going crazy and others again hitting big shots. Similar to the 2000 comeback against Portland in some ways. But just loved the sense you got from the crowd as they realized something was happening as the Lakers cut it to like 15, 13, etc. By then the ending seemed inevitable.

4. Fourth quarter, Game 4, 1987 NBA Finals
Obviously we all remember Magic's hook. But that quarter had so much amazing basketball. Start with Magic bumping his knee and seemingly suffering an injury. But he was okay. How about Coop's late three-pointer that cut into the deficit? Or Worthy making move after move against the Big 3? The alley-oop to Kareem. Bird's clutch three in the corner, even after Worthy was clutching on to his jersey. Danny Ainge horribly carrying the ball on his way in for a layup and the camera cutting to Bertka on the sideline looking chagrined/angry while Riley calls timeout. And of course Magic's hook. God. Can still remember sitting in my grandma's house, sooo nervous, staying with her while going to a basketball camp. All the other kids were Celtic fans, even in small town Minnesota. I was dreading the next day's session with the series tied 2-2. Instead, Magic over Bird, McHale and Parish, a shot that really is the defining shot of the decade, I think (even above MJ over Ehlo). But still Bird with one more shot at the buzzer, right on line...and falling off. It didn't win the title, only gave them a 3-1 lead, but for all intents and purposes that was the final blow in making the Lakers the team of the decade instead of Boston.

3. Fourth quarter, Game 7, 2010 NBA Finals.
UGLY. Good lord. Ugly. But ultimately beautiful. I loved how, despite the 6-for-24 game, despite the struggles, they out-fought the Celtics. Even now, that idea of East Coast teams being tougher, especially Boston, persists. Even after Showtime should have destroyed the idea. But in that fourth quarter, the Lakers out-toughed Boston, out-uglied them, and capped off the comeback and another repeat. Memorable images are Pau (landing on the floor) with the shot late, Metta's three, Sasha's FTs (did anyone expect him to make both?) and Kobe running after the ball as the clock hit zero.

2. Fourth quarter, Game 7, 2000 Western Conference Finals
I've often wondered what would have happened to that Lakers dynasty if that fourth quarter didn't go the way it did. Do they eventually win a title with Phil/Kobe/Shaq? Yeah, I think so. But it's not guaranteed. The following year, when Kobe was rebelling a bit, would they have been able to hold together if they hadn't won the title the previous year? What would it have done to Shaq if he'd put together one of the most dominant regular seasons ever and then come up short in the WCF? Especially when blowing a 3-1 lead. But instead they did rally past Portland. Shaw hitting 3s, Horry. Kobe with that little dribble to the left and jumper. Shaq hitting a turnaround and the camera cutting to Sabonis. How about Phil saying, "Forget Shaq" early in the quarter, one of the great coaching moments in NBA history. And then, of course, the ending, with kobe hitting the jumper over Pippen and then the alley-oop to Shaq for the thunderous slam. I admit: I turned the TV off after the third quarter. I was at work and turned it off in disgust. Turned it on about 10 seconds before the alley-oop. Luckily I taped the game so went back that night and watched it over and over and over again. Still have the cassette.

1. Third quarter, Game 7 1988 NBA Finals
The final Showtime explosion. Yes, Magic played three more years and they made 2 more Finals, but the third quarter in Game 7 was vintage Showtime, and it came at the most crucial time possible. Detroit led at half and the Repeat was in jeopardy. Instead the Lakers came out and swarmed all over Detroit and the fastbreak especially looked like something out of 1983. There was Byron (yes!) dunking on Laimbeer. Magic filling the middle and dishing to Worthy (there's a great CBS replay with Magic asking for the ball in the middle from Worthy, who obliged). Coop hit a 3. Everyone contributed. Now...they very nearly blew the game in the 4th quarter. But they didn't, and the third was the main reason why, giving them just enough of an edge to hold off Detroit.

All right, that's my list. Anyone else got some that stand out?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

That's a nice list but you gotta include Kobe's final game against the Jazz. Down 10 with 3 min to go and he starts hitting insane shots to win the game.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Fourth quarter of Kobe's final game.

Fourth quarter of Game 7 against the Celtics in 2010.

Second quarter of Game 5 against the Magic in 2009.

Fourth quarter of Game 7 against the Blazers in 2000.

OT of Game 7 against the Queens in 2002.
MettaWolverinePeace
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Great list, spflakers.

I'd like to add one of my personal favorites - the first quarter of G4 against the Celtics in '08. Now I know it's an odd one because we lost the game, but maaan, oh, maaaaan, those first twelve minutes were incredible. Great defense, great energy, great crowd and Lamar Odom dominating the (bleep) out of the Celtics, playing like a man possessed: making shots, going after rebounds, hitting open teammates. It was beautiful to watch, we looked invincible. The fact that I still remember it, even though it ended up one of the most painful meltdowns in the history of our franchise, says a lot.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I do love that 4th Q + OT of the 2009 Finals against the Magic when Fish hit those clutch jumpers and then (bleep) all the Magic players wives.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

2002 Western Conference finals game 4, quarter 4
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

MettaWolverinePeace wrote:
Great list, spflakers.

I'd like to add one of my personal favorites - the first quarter of G4 against the Celtics in '08. Now I know it's an odd one because we lost the game, but maaan, oh, maaaaan, those first twelve minutes were incredible. Great defense, great energy, great crowd and Lamar Odom dominating the (bleep) out of the Celtics, playing like a man possessed: making shots, going after rebounds, hitting open teammates. It was beautiful to watch, we looked invincible. The fact that I still remember it, even though it ended up one of the most painful meltdowns in the history of our franchise, says a lot.

Haha. Yeah, that was an awesome display. Just looked it up. 35-14. Wow. And...oof.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Portland game 7 1999-2000.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Portland.

The Kobe to shaq oop exclamation point nail in the coffin. It was the de facto championship game in the first title in a long long time. The uncertainty around it with the lakes being up 3-1 and in a game 7 down by 20 with all the momentum in portlands favor. The doubt after getting swept by the Spurs the prior year.

It was the lowest low that becams the most exuberant high.

I remember exactly where I was l, who I was with, and how I felt. One of those memories in life that I will enjoy for the rest of my life.
Tilted Brim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's farewell 4th quarter 60 point game most certainly belongs on my list... He literally couldn't miss.

-Samuel L. Jackson & Wyclef Jean Duet 2009 ESPY'S
Camaro383ci
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Your #1 was the first thought that came to mind. Pure showtime.

followed closely by your #2. great list
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Great list, spflakers. Your No. 1 I used to put in the VCR back in the day before I'd play a game to get me pumped up. That was my go to. That stretch was awesome.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

And that third quarter:

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Your favorite quarters in Lakers history

spflakers wrote:

I've often wondered what would have happened to that Lakers dynasty if that fourth quarter didn't go the way it did. Do they eventually win a title with Phil/Kobe/Shaq? Yeah, I think so. But it's not guaranteed. The following year, when Kobe was rebelling a bit, would they have been able to hold together if they hadn't won the title the previous year? What would it have done to Shaq if he'd put together one of the most dominant regular seasons ever and then come up short in the WCF? Especially when blowing a 3-1 lead. But instead they did rally past Portland. Shaw hitting 3s, Horry. Kobe with that little dribble to the left and jumper. Shaq hitting a turnaround and the camera cutting to Sabonis. How about Phil saying, "Forget Shaq" early in the quarter, one of the great coaching moments in NBA history. And then, of course, the ending, with kobe hitting the jumper over Pippen and then the alley-oop to Shaq for the thunderous slam. I admit: I turned the TV off after the third quarter. I was at work and turned it off in disgust. Turned it on about 10 seconds before the alley-oop. Luckily I taped the game so went back that night and watched it over and over and over again. Still have the cassette.

To me, that's always going to be the one. That series was an incredible moment in the Lakers' history. I'll never forget being in that building when BShaw nailed that crucial 3 that started the comeback. I've been there for pretty much all the great moments in that building, especially in those early years. And I was there for game 7 against the Celtics. But that 4th quarter against the Blazers was an epic moment in sports. Those 12 minutes were the dawning of a dynasty and to watch it unfold was profound.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Your favorite quarters in Lakers history

spflakers wrote:

3. Fourth quarter, Game 7, 2010 NBA Finals.
UGLY. Good lord. Ugly. But ultimately beautiful. I loved how, despite the 6-for-24 game, despite the struggles, they out-fought the Celtics. Even now, that idea of East Coast teams being tougher, especially Boston, persists. Even after Showtime should have destroyed the idea. But in that fourth quarter, the Lakers out-toughed Boston, out-uglied them, and capped off the comeback and another repeat. Memorable images are Pau (landing on the floor) with the shot late, Metta's three, Sasha's FTs (did anyone expect him to make both?) and Kobe running after the ball as the clock hit zero.

This one is it for me. That quarter and the whole game was beyond surreal. It was the only time I've ever been nervous before a Laker game. The historical significance of that game was phenomenal and hard to fully appreciate. But that fourth quarter felt like it was happening in slow motion. It almost felt like the last basketball game that would ever be played. We became the first team to beat Boston in Game 7 of the finals.

Even though Kobe shot 6-24, he actually played well in the 2nd half and was pretty efficient offensively.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Your favorite quarters in Lakers history

DaMuleRules wrote:
spflakers wrote:

To me, that's always going to be the one. That series was an incredible moment in the Lakers' history. I'll never forget being in that building when BShaw nailed that crucial 3 that started the comeback. I've been there for pretty much all the great moments in that building, especially in those early years. And I was there for game 7 against the Celtics. But that 4th quarter against the Blazers was an epic moment in sports. Those 12 minutes were the dawning of a dynasty and to watch it unfold was profound.

if we're analyzing single quarters, I don't think this #2 can be beat. And I don't think it's close. You can debate more about individual moments or shots or individual performances. But for just one quarter, damn...that's the most intense quarter ever. The 2010 game 7 was extremely intense too, but it that portland one was something else.

i bet a lot of newer fans dont realize that these 15-20 point comebacks that are very common now were not common at all back then. when we were down 13-15 in the 4th there, even the most optimistic fans had lost hope. maybe people will say now that they always knew they would win, but no. not at the time. we thought we were done.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject:

No one mentioned the game played on February 04, 1987 in which the Lakers outscored the Sacramento Kings 40-4 in the 1st Quarter?

The Lakers led, 29-0, before Derek Smith scored Sacramento's first points, making two free throws with 2:54 left in the first quarter.

Reggie Theus scored the other two points on two free throws with 31 seconds left.

Magic had 17 Assists.
8 of the 11 Kings players (who played in the game) had 2 or less baskets, while the Lakers had 7 players in double digits and 4 other players miss double digits by 3-or less points!

Watched it on TV and it was awesome...!

Last edited by unleasHell on Fri May 13, 2016 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
13thOverallPick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's final 4th quarter game and 2010 game 7 4th quarter.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Fourth quarter of Kobe's final game.

Fourth quarter of Game 7 against the Celtics in 2010.

Second quarter of Game 5 against the Magic in 2009.

Fourth quarter of Game 7 against the Blazers in 2000.

OT of Game 7 against the Queens in 2002.

Blazers in 2000 is one of my favorites. It was the start of the three-peat as they really needed to rally to stay alive. Also, my roommate at the time was an Oregon native and laker hater. It felt so good!

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
2002 Western Conference finals game 4, quarter 4

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
No one mentioned the game played on February 04, 1987 in which the Lakers outscored the Sacramento Kings 40-4 in the 1st Quarter?

The Lakers led, 29-0, before Derek Smith scored Sacramento's first points, making two free throws with 2:54 left in the first quarter.

Reggie Theus scored the other two points on two free throws with 31 seconds left.

Magic had 17 Assists.
8 of the 11 Kings players (who played in the game) had 2 or less baskets, while the Lakers had 7 players in double digits and 4 other players miss double digits by 3-or less points!

Watched it on TV and it was awesome...!

I'll go back and watch that on YouTube every few months. Ridiculously hilarious. Growing up I didn't get to watch it on TV so first time seeing highlights was Chick narrating the 87 title video. "Ooops, sorry guys."
Stuntman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

I agree with all of the games mentioned and is like to add the fourth quarter of Kobe's 81 point game. Just wondering how many he'd get was exciting. The other is overtime of game 4 against the Pacers in the 2000 finals. Shaq picked up his 6th foul and Kobe hitting clutch shots to win the game.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

I share most of the quarters listed above, but I also wanna nod the 3rd and 4th quarters of a few of those 1993 Suns gms in PHX. Sedale pumping in 35 in PHX in Gm 1 is one of my all time favorite games. It was like that team got divinely inspired just for that series alone. At the buzzer of Gm 2, Worthy spiked the ball to say FU to the crowd.

4th and OT of 1/20/95 at BOS (last gm there, Nick with the GW). Refs gave ball back to Smelts after going off of David Wesley to give them a shot for the lead. Seemed like old times until Nick did his thang. Team picked him up as he said, "YEAH, BABY! YEAH!" Del stomping and shouting, "WE OWN THIS!" or something to that effect. Great sh.

I liked the 4th of that game at Utah on 3/20/08 where the team paid those lousy bastards back for booing Fish in the earlier game there that season. Some of them were covering their R eyes to signify Fish's daughter's eye condition. Typical Utah. Kobe spiked the ball Worthy style as an audible Jazzfan shouts, "YOU HAVE NO CLASS!" Love those rare angry exhibitions.

Enjoyed the 3rd and 4th of the closeout at Philly in 2001. Lakers were bombing them with treys, it was enjoyable and funny to me because of my spite for AI (I've softened on that tip since retirement, I can see why people liked him now), but back then, seeing him stomp his foot in frustration as Fisher kept hitting junk shots was amusing. There was a stretch in that game where 4 different Lakers hit a 3 in four straight possessions. Fish chased down AI after the game and gave him a hug.

4/20/99 comeback. Day of Columbine HS, arguably shouldn't have played that day, but that was a massive late comeback at a rowdy Oakland crowd. Shaq got ejected for giving Bimbo Coles whiplash from a shove. Kobe tapped in a purposely missed FT by Rice to send to OT. Incredible game. You so rarely see that, but that was just part of a 28 point comeback. SPF, I mos def share your 2002, 27 pt comeback vs Dallas on my list. Legendary game. You can watch the Lakers for 30 years and not see something like that again.

Here's my vid of the 99 game:

4th and OT of 95 SEA series closeout (Gm 5). SUPERB Forum crowd that night.

Infinite other choices that escape me at the moment. Maybe I'll list some others later, SPF.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I knew NPZ would have some from the volt that had escaped my memory! YES on the '93 series. Those first two games were awesome. Had a great shot in Game 3 for the sweep and then of course the Game 5 dramatics. Suns were SO close to being out in the first round, would have been first 1-8 defeat.

And all of those other ones....nice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: