Plans To Automate 6,000 Wendy's With Self-Service Kiosks due to min wage hike
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Plans To Automate 6,000 Wendy's With Self-Service Kiosks due to min wage hike

http://www.investors.com/politics/policy/wendys-serves-up-kiosks-as-wages-rise-hits-fast-food-group/

Other fast food chains will probably follow the trend. Shouldn't surprise anyone that jobs won't be lost due to wage hikes.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Plans To Automate 6,000 Wendy's With Self-Service Kiosks due to min wage hike

Fallout wrote:
http://www.investors.com/politics/policy/wendys-serves-up-kiosks-as-wages-rise-hits-fast-food-group/

Other fast food chains will probably follow the trend. Shouldn't surprise anyone that jobs won't be lost due to wage hikes.

Quote:

Wendy’s Penegor said company-operated stores, only about 10% of the total, are seeing wage inflation of 5% to 6%, driven both by the minimum wage and some by the need to offer a competitive wage “to access good labor.”

Sounds like their workers just suck, too.

Also, can you imagine trying to order behind some people trying to make up an order on a kiosk? No thanks.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Plans To Automate 6,000 Wendy's With Self-Service Kiosks due to min wage hike

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Quote:

Wendy’s Penegor said company-operated stores, only about 10% of the total, are seeing wage inflation of 5% to 6%, driven both by the minimum wage and some by the need to offer a competitive wage “to access good labor.”

Also, can you imagine trying to order behind some people trying to make up an order on a kiosk? No thanks.

Exactly. Even though they've been in use for the past qtr century, half of the tards trying to use the self serve kiosk at the supermarket still can't seem to figure out it's basic operation. They fumble around for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to buy an apple.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

As the kiosks become more prevalent in fast food restaurants, people will get better at using them. Some will be slow, but there are also people who are painfully slow when ordering from a real live person too.

Top workers should probably keep their jobs. They are better than a kiosk. But hiring new workers without experience will slow down considerably. Goodbye to high-schoolers getting summer jobs. Goodbye to new high school graduates learning about working through these entry-level jobs.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
As the kiosks become more prevalent in fast food restaurants, people will get better at using them. Some will be slow, but there are also people who are painfully slow when ordering from a real live person too.

Top workers should probably keep their jobs. They are better than a kiosk. But hiring new workers without experience will slow down considerably. Goodbye to high-schoolers getting summer jobs. Goodbye to new high school graduates learning about working through these entry-level jobs.

Jack in the Box has been using Kiosks here in Seattle for almost a decade, and their customers never got proficient enough that they'd still ask the live cashier for help. Got to the point that now all they are is decoration in the stores since few people even bothers trying to use them, even with the free taco offer.

Kiosk
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I've wondered why McDonalds didn't invest in kiosk touchscreen technology a couple of decades ago, as they were pioneers in industrializing fast food preparation. You could start it with a touchscreen cash register with small pictures, eliminating the need to read English, have it sort bills and change for non-card customers, eliminating the need for even low level math proficiency. Phase II would be a kiosk, as the first phase all but eliminates service employee interaction.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm throwing the BS flag. Yeah, like Wendy's wasn't planning to go to an automated system anyway.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Plans To Automate 6,000 Wendy's With Self-Service Kiosks due to min wage hike

Aussiesuede wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Quote:

Exactly. Even though they've been in use for the past qtr century, half of the tards trying to use the self serve kiosk at the supermarket still can't seem to figure out it's basic operation. They fumble around for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to buy an apple.

Agreed wholeheartedly, but let's not pretend it's much better standing around for a live cashier. If it's not the Chatty Cathy in front of you who refuses to shut the (bleep) up thinking his/her day is fascinating to the cashier, it's a woman (sorry, I've not seen men carry checkbooks into the (bleep) grocery store since childhood), deciding to take out her checkbook only AFTER everything is rung-up, drawing the process out forever. At least with the s/s kiosks, you have a fair shot at finding an open one ...

To me, this is a broader social issue that occurs in many settings ... it seems that most people magically forget where they came from (that (bleep) insufferable line they were just standing in!) once they arrive (at the grocery store cashier, the agent at the window who's going to process their passport application, the receptionist in the restaurant, the post office clerk, etc.) ... I think it's the same people, too, who (inadvertently?) delay their departure from a coveted parking spot when they notice someone waiting ...

I've advised my son recently to get done what he needs to get done (school, sports practices and games, music lessons, whatever), but be mindful, too, not to impede others from doing the same. That lesson doesn't appear to be too high on the list in most households.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Plans To Automate 6,000 Wendy's With Self-Service Kiosks due to min wage hike

the association wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Quote:

Agreed wholeheartedly, but let's not pretend it's much better standing around for a live cashier. If it's not the Chatty Cathy in front of you who refuses to shut the (bleep) up thinking his/her day is fascinating to the cashier, it's a woman (sorry, I've not seen men carry checkbooks into the (bleep) grocery store since childhood), deciding to take out her checkbook only AFTER everything is rung-up, drawing the process out forever. At least with the s/s kiosks, you have a fair shot at finding an open one ...

To me, this is a broader social issue that occurs in many settings ... it seems that most people magically forget where they came from (that (bleep) insufferable line they were just standing in!) once they arrive (at the grocery store cashier, the agent at the window who's going to process their passport application, the receptionist in the restaurant, the post office clerk, etc.) ... I think it's the same people, too, who (inadvertently?) delay their departure from a coveted parking spot when they notice someone waiting ...

I've advised my son recently to get done what he needs to get done (school, sports practices and games, music lessons, whatever), but be mindful, too, not to impede others from doing the same. That lesson doesn't appear to be too high on the list in most households.

I definitely agree that carelessness is an overriding symptom of many in society. When I need to make a left turn across traffic, the first thing I do is look in my rear view mirror. If there is a long line of cars behind me that would have to needlessly wait whilst singular me waits for opposing traffic to clear - then I drive to the next block, make a right, drive around the block, and then cross traffic when space becomes available. The logic being "Why should 30 people have to suffer the wait because I desire expediency. Taking that short drive around the block only takes a minute and the general flow of traffic is unabated. But most folks? Nope. They just mindlessly expect that everyone should wait for them no matter how many are being inconvenienced. The lack of simple courtesy is at distressingly high levels in this society. It's unfortunate.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Plans To Automate 6,000 Wendy's With Self-Service Kiosks due to min wage hike

Aussiesuede wrote:
the association wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Quote:

I definitely agree that carelessness is an overriding symptom of many in society. When I need to make a left turn across traffic, the first thing I do is look in my rear view mirror. If there is a long line of cars behind me that would have to needlessly wait whilst singular me waits for opposing traffic to clear - then I drive to the next block, make a right, drive around the block, and then cross traffic when space becomes available. The logic being "Why should 30 people have to suffer the wait because I desire expediency. Taking that short drive around the block only takes a minute and the general flow of traffic is unabated. But most folks? Nope. They just mindlessly expect that everyone should wait for them no matter how many are being inconvenienced. The lack of simple courtesy is at distressingly high levels in this society. It's unfortunate.

We don't see that next-level patience and consideration too often in such a common situation here in Southern California. Most opt instead to block traffic, work through whatever TIA is ravaging their brain at the moment, and then wait until the gap in oncoming traffic is 4 - 500 car lengths before turning ...

I guess Kobe had it right with the whirlybird ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Its inevitable. Automation will eventually replace a lot of jobs humans once performed.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:

These CEO's will be damned to lose some of there monster salaries, so instead they will cut the low wage earners...greed is at an all-time high!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

If this is true, I'd boycott them, but to do that, I'd have eat there in the first place.

It seems that the places that talk of this, or other anti-worker, anti-consumer, or anti-environment sentiments, I rarely frequent without even the political consideration. Maybe crappy businesses just have crappy policies.

Regardless, I have no use for businesses that take profits over workers to such a level. Hopefully, enough people will feel as I do and force their automation to just turn to useless rust.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't make that half pound triple with ghost pepper fries.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

If only they could fix the crappy food issue...
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Its inevitable. Automation will eventually replace a lot of jobs humans once performed.

Yup.

Not just taxi drivers, fast food workers, factory workers... but also white-collar workers, like bankers, customer support center workers, pharmacists, etc.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yup.

Not just taxi drivers, fast food workers, factory workers... but also white-collar workers, like bankers, customer support center workers, pharmacists, etc.

I think task- and function-driven jobs (like the ones you note above) are much easier to target for automation than ones where the individual filling the role is paid to think. Thus, I expect to see many white collar jobs resisting automation for some time ...
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Jack in the Box has been using Kiosks here in Seattle for almost a decade, and their customers never got proficient enough that they'd still ask the live cashier for help. Got to the point that now all they are is decoration in the stores since few people even bothers trying to use them, even with the free taco offer.

Kiosk

For now they are still the exception rather than the rule. This will change when there's a line of 10 people for the one live cashier, but 4 open kiosks.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I'm throwing the BS flag. Yeah, like Wendy's wasn't planning to go to an automated system anyway.

I'm sure it was always on the roadmap. Implementation would only when costs justified it.

The new law sped up the timeline.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
If this is true, I'd boycott them, but to do that, I'd have eat there in the first place.

It seems that the places that talk of this, or other anti-worker, anti-consumer, or anti-environment sentiments, I rarely frequent without even the political consideration. Maybe crappy businesses just have crappy policies.

Regardless, I have no use for businesses that take profits over workers to such a level. Hopefully, enough people will feel as I do and force their automation to just turn to useless rust.

They have to choose from you boycotting because they are trying to run an efficient business, or losing business due to increased prices.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yep. Any plans to do make a such a move would surely pre-date the recent minimum wage issue.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Kiosk

For now they are still the exception rather than the rule. This will change when there's a line of 10 people for the one live cashier, but 4 open kiosks.

At some venues? Sure. But I think many fail to realise that not everyone is as technologically proficient as they are and that less proficient group likely makes up the largest percentage of fast foods "Regular" customers. Many fast food customers practically live on the junk those places peddle. Many of them aren't in the category that "casual" fast food visitors are it. I eat at fast food under 50 times annually. I'd venture a guess that most who approach my level of technological prowess would be under that 50 visit/year mark as well. But the non-technologically proficient? Their visit totals are likely above 300 visits annually. It would be a bad business decision to alienate those less technologically savvy customers as they represent the bulk of their customer base.

Seniors, the under-educated, moms corralling multiple kids, etc, are all groups that display difficulty in adequately managing automated systems. They in turn ruin the customer experience for those who are technologically proficient and those folks tend to bring more annual dollars to a business. I, and many others, when approaching an automated checkout at the supermarket, do a quick visual survey of the line. If there are too many in the above described groups waiting in line in front of us, we'll sit out potential purchases down and walk out the door. It's just not worth the aggravation. There's always someplace else to go instead, and that's a superior choice compared to waiting for these folks stuck in the 19th century to complete their sociological experiment with joining the 21st century. They need to put up a sign that explains that the automated checkout simply wasn't designed for folks who would be better served in a 19th century lineup with a patient cashier ready to serve them. But just like they do with the 10 items or less sign, they'd probably just ignore it.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Um, if any company can adequately replace their labor force with machines, then that's exactly what they'll do, they'd be fools not to.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Kiosk lines can easily be relieved by smartphone app ordering.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Kiosk

At some venues? Sure. But I think many fail to realise that not everyone is as technologically proficient as they are and that less proficient group likely makes up the largest percentage of fast foods "Regular" customers. Many fast food customers practically live on the junk those places peddle. Many of them aren't in the category that "casual" fast food visitors are it. I eat at fast food under 50 times annually. I'd venture a guess that most who approach my level of technological prowess would be under that 50 visit/year mark as well. But the non-technologically proficient? Their visit totals are likely above 300 visits annually. It would be a bad business decision to alienate those less technologically savvy customers as they represent the bulk of their customer base.

Seniors, the under-educated, moms corralling multiple kids, etc, are all groups that display difficulty in adequately managing automated systems. They in turn ruin the customer experience for those who are technologically proficient and those folks tend to bring more annual dollars to a business. I, and many others, when approaching an automated checkout at the supermarket, do a quick visual survey of the line. If there are too many in the above described groups waiting in line in front of us, we'll sit out potential purchases down and walk out the door. It's just not worth the aggravation. There's always someplace else to go instead, and that's a superior choice compared to waiting for these folks stuck in the 19th century to complete their sociological experiment with joining the 21st century. They need to put up a sign that explains that the automated checkout simply wasn't designed for folks who would be better served in a 19th century lineup with a patient cashier ready to serve them. But just like they do with the 10 items or less sign, they'd probably just ignore it.

Even if they don't completely replace humans, I can see them reducing their need to hire as many workers. Its happened in the grocery businesss with self checkout lines. They don't need to hire as many people. So in the end there will be fewer $15 fast food jobs available.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: