A plea to the Laker Re: Jersey Patches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I read somewhere any jersey a fan buys will not have the advertising on it
penston
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

http://i.imgur.com/JbDZkIX.jpg
MettaWolverinePeace
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Corporate greed has been vandalizing the NBA (and America for that matter) for quite some time now, jersey patches are just the latest step. It's absolutely (bleep) disgusting, but what are you gonna do...form a fans union?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

how about pink's hot dog's

http://img.thesoundla.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/pinks.jpg

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

can the lakers promote the Dodgers and have the LA logo as a patch

http://www.everythingdoormats.com/images/products/los-angeles-dodgers-mlb-baseball-round-area-rug.jpg
D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Also, to quote Dylan, "The Times They Are a-Changin'." Why be left behind, when this is a clear way to make money and not at the consumer's expense. When Elvis, rock music, rap music, Marilyn Manson, first came out people were outraged. Now teens are doing stuff on social media that would make all those people blush. Things change and times change. A small patch on a jersey that creates revenue for the league that I love watching, who cares? Good for them.

But here's another point. The patches will also generate money for the players. It might even prevent a future lockout. Tell me how that isn't awesome? Believe it or not, our top stars are grossly underpaid. Due to small market owners being greedy, there is a salary cap preventing players from making more money than what some of them are worth. With how much Lebron brings to the city of Cleveland and the NBA, he is worth way more than 21 m a year. Until last season he has never been the highest paid player on any of his teams.

Now let's pretend you are a team who refuses patches and you're trying to convince a big time free agent to sign with you. What if that free agent sees the bigger picture and wonders why you refuse to put extra money into the pockets of his peers? I'm sure most wouldn't worry about that, but players like Chris Paul or Lebron might.

I'm guessing players will get almost nothing from it, just like they get almost nothing from jersey sales themselves. No free agent is going to care about the jersey advertising because none of it will go to them directly, their pay is locked by the CBA. NBA players should hate it because they're being turned into walking billboards without getting the benefit. They're not allowed to put their own sponsors there, only the team is. That money gets split 50% to the team and 50% to the league. The team doesn't give that money to the players, they keep it and they're not allowed to give it to them. If they make more money then some of it makes it to the poorer teams via profit sharing. That all gets rolled into setting the salary cap, and that's how they'll get paid in a round about way. You really think a free agent is going to care about advertising causing a change in the cap? Teams that suck and take league welfare are a much bigger drain on their potential to make money, you really think they're going to avoid the Lakers because of that? That's crazy.

I think it's more likely that a free agent would come to the Lakers to avoid being a walking billboard, pimped out to whoever will pay, regardless of what the player wants. They can even force you to wear advertising for a rival to a brand that you support. Think about that for a second and tell me it's going to be less of an impact than a free agent doing the math and being concerned about residual changes in their potential income.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
In N'Out baby.....

But the lakers arent overrated

Having grown up in LA and now being out East for over a decade, there is nothing I crave more than a sweet delicious patty, with never frozen fries and fresh toppings. In n' Out.

Looks like the advertisements have already started taking over LG

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject:

the patches are definitely going to happen. It probably is already in motion, otherwise the short sleeve shirts wouldn't have been rolled out. So I'd say it's inevitable.
Also consider the upcoming huge NBA deal that is kicking in. That will probably usher in a bunch of new marketing things, including the short sleeve plans.
D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
the patches are definitely going to happen. It probably is already in motion, otherwise the short sleeve shirts wouldn't have been rolled out. So I'd say it's inevitable.
Also consider the upcoming huge NBA deal that is kicking in. That will probably usher in a bunch of new marketing things, including the short sleeve plans.

It's already happened. The Sixers announced the first deal with Stub Hub. I'm not saying block it in the whole league, I'm hoping that the Lakers opt not to do it in favor of the Lakers brand itself. Although I could see a Mark Cuban or some other forward thinking owner with deep pockets doing it first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

D's Advocate wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Also, to quote Dylan, "The Times They Are a-Changin'." Why be left behind, when this is a clear way to make money and not at the consumer's expense. When Elvis, rock music, rap music, Marilyn Manson, first came out people were outraged. Now teens are doing stuff on social media that would make all those people blush. Things change and times change. A small patch on a jersey that creates revenue for the league that I love watching, who cares? Good for them.

But here's another point. The patches will also generate money for the players. It might even prevent a future lockout. Tell me how that isn't awesome? Believe it or not, our top stars are grossly underpaid. Due to small market owners being greedy, there is a salary cap preventing players from making more money than what some of them are worth. With how much Lebron brings to the city of Cleveland and the NBA, he is worth way more than 21 m a year. Until last season he has never been the highest paid player on any of his teams.

Now let's pretend you are a team who refuses patches and you're trying to convince a big time free agent to sign with you. What if that free agent sees the bigger picture and wonders why you refuse to put extra money into the pockets of his peers? I'm sure most wouldn't worry about that, but players like Chris Paul or Lebron might.

I'm guessing players will get almost nothing from it, just like they get almost nothing from jersey sales themselves. No free agent is going to care about the jersey advertising because none of it will go to them directly, their pay is locked by the CBA. NBA players should hate it because they're being turned into walking billboards without getting the benefit. They're not allowed to put their own sponsors there, only the team is. That money gets split 50% to the team and 50% to the league. The team doesn't give that money to the players, they keep it and they're not allowed to give it to them. If they make more money then some of it makes it to the poorer teams via profit sharing. That all gets rolled into setting the salary cap, and that's how they'll get paid in a round about way. You really think a free agent is going to care about advertising causing a change in the cap? Teams that suck and take league welfare are a much bigger drain on their potential to make money, you really think they're going to avoid the Lakers because of that? That's crazy.

I think it's more likely that a free agent would come to the Lakers to avoid being a walking billboard, pimped out to whoever will pay, regardless of what the player wants. They can even force you to wear advertising for a rival to a brand that you support. Think about that for a second and tell me it's going to be less of an impact than a free agent doing the math and being concerned about residual changes in their potential income.

Lebron represents Samsung phones and Beats headphones. Beats was sold to Apple, Samsung's largest phone rival. Neither Lebron or Samsung seemed upset over the issue. In fact Lebron made 30 million from the sale and he seems to be doing okay being a part of both companies. Samsung didn't go out and immediately drop Lebron. Another example is that Lebron endorses Nike but is forced to Wear Adidas uniforms (for now) and he seems to be okay with that too. The players will make more money off the upcoming TV deals and they will make more money from the tiny jersey ads. I understand you are trying to fight the good fight and I understand Candlestick Park sounds better than El Pollo Loco Stadium, but if things are changing and the players are making money, then I'm all for it.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I could see something like turkish airlines b/c of the Kobe connection.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

MettaWolverinePeace wrote:
Corporate greed has been vandalizing the NBA (and America for that matter) for quite some time now, jersey patches are just the latest step. It's absolutely (bleep) disgusting, but what are you gonna do...form a fans union?

There's actually a term for it called "ad creep." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_creep

It's why a lot of dystopian movies and novels about the future feature cities that crammed with ads like Tokyo on steroids.

I can't wait until it becomes cost effective for Kia or someone to beam their logo into the night sky, batman style.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject:

in b4 mention of snapchat logo on russell's jersey
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject:

MettaWolverinePeace wrote:

As a consumer there is actually a lot you can do. Like not purchase the jersey.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's a big deal, it's worked for other leagues so why not the NBA

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers really wanted to make even more money they'd figure out a way to monetize worldwide streams of everything, including live Laker games, on the Internet. The Lakers are the only reason I still have DirecTV. The jersey patches are the smallest of potatoes.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
in b4 mention of snapchat logo on russell's jersey

You've been too late on that one. Read the first few posts.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I read somewhere any jersey a fan buys will not have the advertising on it

They'll start charging extra for the "authentic" game jerseys.
D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
D's Advocate wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Lebron represents Samsung phones and Beats headphones. Beats was sold to Apple, Samsung's largest phone rival. Neither Lebron or Samsung seemed upset over the issue. In fact Lebron made 30 million from the sale and he seems to be doing okay being a part of both companies. Samsung didn't go out and immediately drop Lebron. Another example is that Lebron endorses Nike but is forced to Wear Adidas uniforms (for now) and he seems to be okay with that too. The players will make more money off the upcoming TV deals and they will make more money from the tiny jersey ads. I understand you are trying to fight the good fight and I understand Candlestick Park sounds better than El Pollo Loco Stadium, but if things are changing and the players are making money, then I'm all for it.

I was only talking in terms of your suggestion that free agents would balk at signing with the Lakers because we don't do advertising patches. There are so many reasons why that's flat out wrong and makes no sense. You're arguing against your own point here suggesting that players won't care but earlier suggesting free agents would be unhappy with it. The players aren't going to be making tons of cash on these deals, it'll be some residual tiny portion that they'll all share equally across the league. The money that the team gets won't be shared with them directly either. Those are bad reasons to be ok with this. In fact I'm surprised the players union let this through without even a discussion of letting players have their own sponsors on their own jerseys.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject:

D's Advocate wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I understand your point D's Advocate, but I think there is also a point at which it can be done without causing brand erosion.

Consider, that the world's most valuable sports team in 2015 was Real Madrid. Their shirts have a huge "Fly Emirates" logo on it.

I think, done right, it can be a good thing for the Lakers, particularly their bottom line.

I don't doubt it would make them more money to sell the space, and if they do it I'd hope they'd do it right and not sell to something stupid. I'm just hoping they consider this opportunity to stand out from the rest of the league. Because really the Lakers are the premier franchise in this league and one of the premier brands in all of sports. Maybe I'm wrong here and they should follow the lead of the Sixers and sell out as fast as humanly possibly. Maybe they should get a mascot too since most teams have them to drum up excitement during games.

Not sure why it has to be sell out as fast as humanly possible or.do nothing at all.

So what if they add one patch near the shoulder area?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I don't think its up to the lakers its up to the NBA to regulate advertising. If anyone is a whore its Adam Silver for letting this happen

Yep. It's going top be an NBA thing. They control the uniform code. No team is going to have the option to opt out.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
can the lakers promote the Dodgers and have the LA logo as a patch

http://www.everythingdoormats.com/images/products/los-angeles-dodgers-mlb-baseball-round-area-rug.jpg

Bad idea. Not all Lakers fans are Dodger fans.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Legacy wrote:
I swear I heard Adam Silver say it was up to the teams if they want to take advantage of the advertising. The league will just be allowing it.

Anyone else hear this from somewhere? Or am I just a crazy person?

I heard that too. Hopefully LC will chime in.

And great thread OP.

I too would hope the Lakers would hold out and refuse to have advertising on their jerseys. If there's a good area for them to be old fashioned in, it's this

Hopefully that's true, but I can't see how it would be. There'd be no reason for the league to make the move if they weren't going to actually capitalize on it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject:

D's Advocate wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If you will walk away from $100,000 on the floor, I'm sure the Lakers will walk away from easily $12-15m/year in additional revenue.

It's not for nothing though. Not having advertising on the Jersey is an advertisement for the Lakers as a brand and a franchise.

Not at all. The Lakers brand wouldn't gain anything from not having advertising that they don't already gain from their history or their success on the floor. It's not like someone's going to think, "I wasn't a Lakers fan before, but I am now that they don't have any patches on their uni's". Sports fans don't think like that.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
If the Lakers really wanted to make even more money they'd figure out a way to monetize worldwide streams of everything, including live Laker games, on the Internet. The Lakers are the only reason I still have DirecTV. The jersey patches are the smallest of potatoes.

For now. But if this works it'll only be a matter of time until the Laker uniform no longer says "Lakers" on the front. The NBA will call it "innovative" and mention what a fantastic "opportunity" it was for a "deeper integration" with its sponsors.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: