CNN: LeBron James’s Nike deal may be worth more than $1 billion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: CNN: LeBron James’s Nike deal may be worth more than $1 billion

It's good to be LeBron James.

The Cleveland Cavaliers star is preparing for the Eastern Conference Finals versus the Toronto Raptors, has put himself in line for another massive contract from the team this summer and could end up with another $1 billion thanks to his lifetime deal with Nike.

In December 2015, James and Nike agreed to a lifetime deal. One source told ESPN.com's Darren Rovell the agreement was the "largest single-athlete guarantee in company history."
---------------------------------
boatload of cash if it's true.
gotta wonder how that compares to MJ's ongoing deal with Nike, which is estimated to earn MJ over $100mil per year and worth over $2.5billion per year in sales for Nike
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Nike doesn't want to lose ground to UA.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Imagine what Nike is making. Big stacks.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

I wonder what is behind the rise of UA.
They've also acquired some good apps like MyFitnessPal.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
rwongega wrote:

What rise, though? It's going to take a lot more than Steph Curry to get UA into position to get on Nike's radar. They have a great growth trajectory story to sell, but I personally don't know anyone buying much of their trash. Some of my son's baseball teammates wear UA cleats and use UA gear (catching), but I don't really see any UA product on his soccer or basketball teams.

Nike is 9 - 10x their size in terms of revenue, but market share on the footwear side reveals an even wider gulf. I think UA has a long, long, long way to go to make its way into the aspirational stratosphere. Right now, I literally wouldn't wear their products for free ...
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Under Armour makes ugly stuff. At this point, any other brand should be called NotNike.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject:

http://sportlandiasf.com/2016/03/07/how-ugly-are-these-under-armour-shoes/

I would hire Misery's Annie to hobble my feet before wearing these abominations ... crawling is underrated anyway.

However, I think Kevin Plank is probably legit, though. If he really wants to elevate UA into the big leagues, he better start poaching some real footwear design heroes, after which he can take the design teams he's got in place out behind the barns over there at Pimlico ...
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject:

They're expanding into football/soccer kits across the pond as well...

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/sports/soccer
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
They're expanding into football/soccer kits across the pond as well...

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/sports/soccer

#notawful ... and that's really the best I can muster for this brand right now.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject:

does anyone actually ever see people wearing Lebron's shoe line tho? I mean, those things are ugly as hell .

I see guys in Kobe's, Curry's, Kyrie's, or even Lillard's all the time, but seeing someone in a pair of LeBron's almost never happens.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Under Armour makes ugly stuff. At this point, any other brand should be called NotNike.

You clearly haven't bought the LeBrons.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
does anyone actually ever see people wearing Lebron's shoe line tho? I mean, those things are ugly as hell .

I see guys in Kobe's, Curry's, Kyrie's, or even Lillard's all the time, but seeing someone in a pair of LeBron's almost never happens.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25321395/paul-pierce-wont-let-teammates-wear-lebron-james-shoes

The Truth forbids it ...

I actually see many kids my son's age in Durant's line, and a few in LeBron's, Kobe's and Kyrie's, but pretty much nobody at all in Curry's. And I guess that's probably saying something of great consequence because most in the age bracket in question (8 - 12 years old) identify Steph as their favorite player. They just can't get themselves to wear that UA garbage, I guess.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25321395/paul-pierce-wont-let-teammates-wear-lebron-james-shoes

The Truth forbids it ...

I actually see many kids my son's age in Durant's line, and a few in LeBron's, Kobe's and Kyrie's, but pretty much nobody at all in Curry's. And I guess that's probably saying something of great consequence because most in the age bracket in question (8 - 12 years old) identify Steph as their favorite player. They just can't get themselves to wear that UA garbage, I guess.
UA sales for Currys are bananas. Especially for Asians.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
the association wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

The Truth forbids it ...

UA sales for Currys are bananas. Especially for Asians.

http://sneakernews.com/2016/03/04/steph-curry-projected-to-sell-more-shoes-than-lebron-more-than-kd-kyrie-and-kobe-combined/

I've see the projections, too, but where do these buyers live? Underground?
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Imagine what Nike is making. Big stacks.

Nike's paying MJ $100 million per year and the Jordan brand makes Nike $2.5 billion.
that's a pay ratio of $1 to every $25 in sales
Or, to put it in terms of Lebron's reported deal by the time Nike has paid MJ a total of $1billion, they would have realized $25billion in Jordan sales

(it's worth noting that will only take 10 years for MJ to make $1 billion)

MJ is a lot bigger then Lebron (hell, he's bigger then everyone), so I would expect Nike's pay ratio for Lebron to be somewhat lower. Maybe like $1 to $40 sale (WAG guess)

So, you'd probably expect that if Nike is willing to pay Lebron $1billion across his lifetime, they'd probably have calculated they'll make $40billion off of that LBJ investment (or something in that neighborhood)

I do NOT know any of that for certain, but from a business perspective something along those lines would probably make sense
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:

What's up for Kobe next with Nike? Are they going to keep making shoes for his line? Or will the Kobe line be retired as well?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
What's up for Kobe next with Nike? Are they going to keep making shoes for his line? Or will the Kobe line be retired as well?
They'll be keeping his line going. 100%.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:

Hopefully they keep going, the shoes were finally getting good.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
K28 wrote:

Hopefully they keep going, the shoes were finally getting good.
That recent Tinker release for the Kobe 11's was the best release in a long long long time. Very dope shoe.

http://news.nike.com/news/kobe-11-muse-pack-tinker-hatfield
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
shnxx wrote:
rwongega wrote:

What rise, though? It's going to take a lot more than Steph Curry to get UA into position to get on Nike's radar. They have a great growth trajectory story to sell, but I personally don't know anyone buying much of their trash. Some of my son's baseball teammates wear UA cleats and use UA gear (catching), but I don't really see any UA product on his soccer or basketball teams.

Nike is 9 - 10x their size in terms of revenue, but market share on the footwear side reveals an even wider gulf. I think UA has a long, long, long way to go to make its way into the aspirational stratosphere. Right now, I literally wouldn't wear their products for free ...

Considering the company didn't exist 20 years ago and they now are bringing in billions of dollars in revenue and making hundreds of millions in profit, I think they are doing OK......
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
the association wrote:
shnxx wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Considering the company didn't exist 20 years ago and they now are bringing in billions of dollars in revenue and making hundreds of millions in profit, I think they are doing OK......

For sure ... Plank has built a hugely successful company. My points were (1) I won't wear their product; (2) their market share is dwarfed by Nike; (3) the only UA product in my home are a few pieces of compression gear for my son; and (4) their footwear is godawful. I'll re-affirm those points here.

The fact that they are "doing OK" doesn't change any of that ... Nike is doing better, obviously has more desirable product, and is as ubiquitous as a Company can get when it comes to their markets. UA is growing by leaps and bounds, but I don't see their target audience anywhere in my world ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject:

UA isn't anywhere close to Nike or Addidas....but I think losing Steph Curry and having him as UA's biggest client has got to sting especially with all the accolades he is getting now. Just imagine if he was under Nike, they could've been the company reaping big rewards. Guess they should've had a better presentation instead of a botched cut and paste job....
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
UA isn't anywhere close to Nike or Addidas....but I think losing Steph Curry and having him as UA's biggest client has got to sting especially with all the accolades he is getting now. Just imagine if he was under Nike, they could've been the company reaping big rewards. Guess they should've had a better presentation instead of a botched cut and paste job....
They (bleep) up. Nike still surviving though.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right that Nike would prefer to have Curry in their stable. But I do wonder sometimes if Curry's image (i.e., he's typically viewed as something much less than a physical marvel) conflicts with Nike's projection as the home of the world's best athletes anyway. Maybe Curry, even as the best basketball player on the planet, would always make more sense as an endorser of an alternative brand? Wouldn't he be a Reebok or Adidas guy years ago, rather than a Nike guy?

Maybe I'm just tired ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right that Nike would prefer to have Curry in their stable. But I do wonder sometimes if Curry's image (i.e., he's typically viewed as something much less than a physical marvel) conflicts with Nike's projection as the home of the world's best athletes anyway. Maybe Curry, even as the best basketball player on the planet, would always make more sense as an endorser of an alternative brand? Wouldn't he be a Reebok or Adidas guy years ago, rather than a Nike guy?

Maybe I'm just tired ...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15047018/how-nike-lost-stephen-curry-armour

Quote:
The pitch meeting, according to Steph's father Dell, who was present, kicked off with one Nike official accidentally addressing Stephen as "Steph-on," the moniker, of course, of Steve Urkel's alter ego in Family Matters. "I heard some people pronounce his name wrong before," says Dell Curry. "I wasn't surprised. I was surprised that I didn't get a correction."

It got worse from there. A PowerPoint slide featured Kevin Durant's name, presumably left on by accident, presumably residue from repurposed materials. "I stopped paying attention after that," Dell says. Though Dell resolved to "keep a poker face," throughout the entirety of the pitch, the decision to leave Nike was in the works.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: