Here's how the Lakers' picks work for 2017-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

If the team has another 17-65 season and a top 3 pick, then Luke Walton is going to become really unpopular really quickly around here. Personally, I'm not in the mood to see the "Thank you Luke for helping us tank" threads we see with Byron Scott.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much Larry!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I always thought it was important to keep this pick as the Lakers will get better over the next two years regardless.

Hate to be a downer but this is pretty much the exact same thing we said last summer. I think we'll be significantly better but I also wouldn't be totally surprised if we have enough of a chance that people will be keeping an eye on our lottery odds all year.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject:

No more tanking! We need to develop our young players moving forward. That means teaching them the right attitude, philosophies and habits. Tanking would taint all that and potentially waste some of their potential.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject:

Thanks Larry for clarifying. A few more questions.

1. What is the estimated max contract (first year only) for Durant, DeRozan, Harrison Barnes, and Whiteside for the 2016-17 season. I recall it is based on number of years in league and % of total cap space.

2. What is Clarkson's cap hold?

I'm trying to figure out how much cap space Lakers will have in the upcoming free agency. I believe Lakers will have $23 million tied up with players under contract (assuming Bass opts out).

Edit: Found that Clarkson's cap hold is $2.7 million and Kelly's is $3.3 million. Personally I would like to resign both. I know Kelly resigning won't be a popular opinion but I think he can do well in Walton's spread/motion offense.

3. If Lakers keep cap hold for Clarkson, can they (1) sign new free agents up to the max Salary Cap and then (2) resign Clarkson to go above the cap?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject:

I would waive both Kelly and Sacre. Time to get rid of the trash.

Last edited by panamaniac on Thu May 19, 2016 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
I would wave both Kelly and Sacre. Time to get rid of the trash.

They are both free agents so Lakers don't have to waive them. It's too bad Kelly never improved. We could have used a stretch PF.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
If the team has another 17-65 season and a top 3 pick, then Luke Walton is going to become really unpopular really quickly around here. Personally, I'm not in the mood to see the "Thank you Luke for helping us tank" threads we see with Byron Scott.

of course but it's hard to envision that scenario. We got 17 wins on iso plays and no defense alone
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject:

This young lakers still need at least 3-4 years to compete...unless we can land some big names
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject:

Larry,

What is the process for buying a draft pick, like the Lakers did with the Clarkson pick?

Is it as simple as offering another team cash for the pick and that is it? Or does there have some sort of salary matching ect. Does it make a difference if you are buying a first or a second round pick?

Seems like there were be a lot of talent later in this draft, I am thinking the Lakers have there eyes on a few people that they might want to take in addition to our 32 pick.

Thank you very much in advance!
ningchi
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Unfortunately if the Lakers happen to be in the lottery next year it means that they suck. I'm hoping this tanking crap goes away however a lot will have to do with what happens this summer with the draft and free agency.

Not necessarily, especially in the Western conference you can still be good and/or showing legitimate progress and development and still not make the playoffs. Case in point: Utah Jazz. They showed real strides last year and look to have a bright future. While its not something to shoot for in terms of aiming for the lottery but its still not unrealistic that we'll be there again but just hopefully not as one of the worst teams. Should we get into the lottery anything can happen with those ping pong balls so we can still wish for jumping into the top 3.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

We could have a 41-41 record next year and still get a top 3 pick if we're in the lotto.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Larry,

What is the process for buying a draft pick, like the Lakers did with the Clarkson pick?

Is it as simple as offering another team cash for the pick and that is it? Or does there have some sort of salary matching ect. Does it make a difference if you are buying a first or a second round pick?

Seems like there were be a lot of talent later in this draft, I am thinking the Lakers have there eyes on a few people that they might want to take in addition to our 32 pick.

I believe there is no salary matching required for buying a pick, however, there is a dollar limit to buy a pick. If I remember correctly, this limit is $3 million and normally this can net a pick towards the later half of the 2nd round.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
The Grind wrote:

They are both free agents so Lakers don't have to waive them. It's too bad Kelly never improved. We could have used a stretch PF.

And Sacre will probably return. His ability to set screens will be important next season.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Larry,

I believe there is no salary matching required for buying a pick, however, there is a dollar limit to buy a pick. If I remember correctly, this limit is $3 million and normally this can net a pick towards the later half of the 2nd round.

I believe you are correct. 3 million is the max you can buy any pick for, or include in any trade.

Picks normally start going for sale around the 40s. I believe the celtics are stocked with 2nds. I could see them selling a few - though they likely wouldn't sell them to the Lakers. 76ers probably wouldn't care though. That being said I doubt the Lakers really consider buying picks this season. They have a ton of youth already - along with at minimum #2 and if they are buying picks that likely means they kept 32 as well.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
I would waive both Kelly and Sacre. Time to get rid of the trash.

I never get the Sacre hate... for a #60 pick, a guy who has made the minimum his entire time with the Lakers, a good locker room guy, and a serviceable 3rd string center... There is nothing to complain about with him.

For the minimum, he's worth it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

He's athletic, competes, never has off court problems, works hard, grinds. He fills his role. It's not as if he was ever supposed to be starting caliber.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

The amount of Cash that can be used in a trade has been slowly increasing over the years.

97. Can cash be included as part of a trade package?

Code:
Season   Amount
2011-12   $3.0 million
2012-13   $3.1 million
2013-14   $3.2 million
2014-15   $3.3 million
2015-16   $3.4 million
2016-17   $3.5 million
2017-18   $3.6 million
2018-19   $3.7 million
2019-20   $3.8 million
2020-21   $3.9 million

With salaries increasing quite a bit for veteran players, first round draft picks are valuable and it is unlikely that they will be sold for $3.4 million.

Some Front Offices will view players picked early in the second round as first round players that were overlooked by other Front Offices and thus it is doubtful that early second round picks will be available for purchase.

So perhaps in the area of #45 and lower as chekmatex4 suggested would be the area to start trying to get another second round pick.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
$screw tanking... I'm looking for a Larry (O'Brien) next year, and in the coming years.. Lets go, Free Agency!

not happening next year no way. The absolute best case realistic scenario for next year is that we are first round playoff fodder. I rather lose out again and get a top 3 pick in 2017 than be a so-so team with still no chance at winning it all.
'

We could win 15 more games next year and still have one of the worst records in the NBA.

Minnesota won 29 games this year and had the 5th worst record in the NBA this year. I could easily see the worst team in the NBA winning 25+ games next year.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

I am one of the most outspoken critics of our front office and am luke warm (ha ha) on the Luke hiring.

That said, no way does this team only win 17 games next year. With this much cap room, the pressure is on Mitch to deliver a 32 win team at a minimum wouldn't you say? That is not a playoff team or even close to one of course, but I am looking for baby steps from this front office at this point.

They will win at least 28 and I can say that before we even know who is on the team.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks guys for the info!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

Larry, can the Sixers and Lakers lower the protection of the 2017 pick owed for the Nash trade in a way that might negatively impact the 2018-19 pick owed Orlando?

Say if the Lakers trade Ingram (2016 pick #2) to the Sixers for Okafor and stronger protection in 2017 - from top-3 to lottery protection - which likely ensures the Lakers retain the pick in 2017 and automatically convey it to Philly in 2018. In that scenario the Orlando pick becomes two 2nd rounders. Can Orlando fight or block that outcome to ensure a better chance at a 2019 1st?

Thanks!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

First off - thanks Larry Coon for stopping by with a very clear summary of what lies ahead these next 3 years for Laker draft picks.

As for posters seriously calling for tanking next year - I'll take 41 wins any day. That means Luke is effective and this young core is starting to realize its potential. That means less focus on off court stupidity and more focus on how skillful this core is becoming. Much more to advertise to free agents if this happens. I'd take 41 wins and losing the #14 pick over tanking, and it's not even close.

As for next year, I'd certainly hope we get north of 30 wins and actually give that .500 mark a good run for the money.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

of course but it's hard to envision that scenario. We got 17 wins on iso plays and no defense alone

If the team wins more games next seasom then getting a top 3 pick is going to be tougher and that's not really tanking. I was responding to the "lets tank again" posters.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
eureca wrote:
The Grind wrote:

And Sacre will probably return. His ability to set screens will be important next season.

After the key FA thing is done, I would expect the Lakers to agree to terms with Sacre for cheap. He's a 7 voter and we will need inexpensive players at the end of the bench.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Larry, can the Sixers and Lakers lower the protection of the 2017 pick owed for the Nash trade in a way that might negatively impact the 2018-19 pick owed Orlando?

Say if the Lakers trade Ingram (2016 pick #2) to the Sixers for Okafor and stronger protection in 2017 - from top-3 to lottery protection - which likely ensures the Lakers retain the pick in 2017 and automatically convey it to Philly in 2018. In that scenario the Orlando pick becomes two 2nd rounders. Can Orlando fight or block that outcome to ensure a better chance at a 2019 1st?

Thanks!

I'm not Larry but I doubt the Magic would have any say in that hypothetical scenario.

Not sure if you were in favor of a such a deal but I don't think securing the (hopefully) middling 2019 pick is worth the downgrade from Ingram to Okafor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: