2014 and 2015 drafts - would you re-do them in retrospect?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

2014 NBA Draft - Julius Randle was the right pick

2015 NBA Draft - Kristaps Porzingis but then again you guys already knew that
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

I look at our draft and confused on why the hate for the FO so much.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

Cuz fans are spoiled. Plus they blame Jim Buss for everything including earthquakes and the drought.
#Avatar-gate
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

The only wrong pick we made in 2014 was picking B Scott as head coach.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:

Speak for yourself! Back to Back #2 overall picks baby
#Avatar-gate
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
som3on3_10 wrote:

Speak for yourself! Back to Back #2 overall picks baby

You're right. I retract my post.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
Yong wrote:
KG24 wrote:
15 wrote:
I would take ok4 or porzingis over Dlo

sp - Porzingod

With all due respect, this is one of the most annoying nicknames I've seen.

With all due respect, I concur!
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject:

2014: Randle was a good pick. We were fortunate not to end up with guys like Exum, Smart, Vonleh, or Stauskas. Clarkson was a steal.

2015: I'm happy with Russell, but i could see the case for Porzingis or Booker. I don't think Okafor was a good fit. Nance looks like he will be a good role player for us. The jury is out on Brown. He had a tough rookie year and needs to improve or he will be in Ebanks territory.

In short, no, lol. I'm happy with the picks.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Interesting wrote:
I'd redo DLO and take Porzingis Booker and Okafor over him. DLO has come around and shown flashes with his shot but the lack of quickness for a PG is a redflag. If he doesn't have quickness at 20 it's going to only get worse from here. DLO has to kind of play like the wiley vet to get space and box out defenders on pick n rolls in order to get his shot off. This shouldn't be the case for a second over all pick in a draft class that's considered extremely deep. Booker is probably the biggest surprise here and will prob be the best guard out of this class.

I'm hoping Lakers get the pick right this time. You don't normally get a second chance -- draft Ingram..

Russell is still a kid, how on Earth do you think he's not going to get any faster? Even track runners whose bodies are more mature than Russell's at Age 20 don't hit their peak until early-mid 20s. Most sprinters hit their fastest time at 23-26.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I wanted Randle and Russell before their respective drafts. I wouldn't change a thing.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject:

For comparison, here is Usain Bolt at 19. And this guy still didn't peak until age 23.

And Russell isn't going to get any faster with his chicken legs???
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Why not enjoy today and not get divisive for no reason.

Bwahahahahaha. The Lounge not get divided over the minutiae of minutiae? Don't worry. It'll find a way.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Interesting wrote:
I'd redo DLO and take Porzingis Booker and Okafor over him. DLO has come around and shown flashes with his shot but the lack of quickness for a PG is a redflag. If he doesn't have quickness at 20 it's going to only get worse from here. DLO has to kind of play like the wiley vet to get space and box out defenders on pick n rolls in order to get his shot off. This shouldn't be the case for a second over all pick in a draft class that's considered extremely deep. Booker is probably the biggest surprise here and will prob be the best guard out of this class.

I'm hoping Lakers get the pick right this time. You don't normally get a second chance -- draft Ingram..

I call false advertising. This was not interesting...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

Well to be fair we really lucked out with getting 2 second picks

odds were not in our favor

but we got itttt

yeaahhh
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject:

Porzingis over Russell.
Josh Richardson over Brown.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject:

I find it hilarious that after a derailed year by Byron Scott, so many talk about Russell in a way you would talk about a guy who is a bust. Russell will be a star very shortly. If you are expecting him to be Steph Curry or Lilliard, than you do not know basketball.

Russell is a 6'5 point guard who can thread the needle. Because we had an idiot coaching him and worried more about him being young and stupid instead of developing his skills, we didn't get a chance to see it. I saw so many times last year where Russell was 2 seconds ahead on a play and players just couldn't get to the right spots to get the pass. Bad spacing, bad fundamentals, bad system.

Russell has been working on his post game this off season, that is how he will separate himself from the PG pack. He is also taller than all the other guys. 10 assists a game should be the goal and I believe it will happen. Russell will be a star and mark my word, will be the best player out of his draft when it is all said and done.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:

What happened to the, "let's be family for...a day or two" mentality?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject:

It is too soon to tell about the 2015 draft. Porzingis does look good, but I think that DLO in particular was stunted by Byron the Parking Brake.

Also I really think that AB3 can be a player giving consistent PT. It was so strange for him. He would either start or not play at all.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

Not yet, jeez. Maybe in three years if guys we passed on clearly end up being better, but I'm definitely not writing off Randle or Russell after one season in which they showed plenty of signs in one of the worst systems and most toxic environments I've ever seen on a Lakers team. Clarkson was a steal. The only possible downside to Nance is if he can't kick the injuries. 2014-2016 overall likely sees us netting four starters and at least two all-stars at some point down the road. Maybe not an actual franchise player, but that's what free agency is for.
Cal!forniaPurple
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:

i like randle but wouldn't be mad if we had ended up with lavine that draft
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

I seriously thought I was the only one who felt this way.

I don't mind everyone hating on Jim Buss. Mostly because I don't know if he is responsible for the poor coaching selections or not. Plus he is an easy scapegoat. But Mitch has been nothing but superb with his draft analysis and attempts to make this team better (minus his / their inability to put a convincing presentation together to attract free agents). All the great draft selections plus his trade that got veto'd and the acquisitions of Dwight Howard and Steve Nash were all excellent moves! (Nash and Dwight weren't great in hindsight, but at the time, we were all ecstatic after getting jilted out of CP3). It is very difficult to find another GM as capable as Mitch.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
I find it hilarious that after a derailed year by Byron Scott, so many talk about Russell in a way you would talk about a guy who is a bust. Russell will be a star very shortly. If you are expecting him to be Steph Curry or Lilliard, than you do not know basketball.

Russell is a 6'5 point guard who can thread the needle. Because we had an idiot coaching him and worried more about him being young and stupid instead of developing his skills, we didn't get a chance to see it. I saw so many times last year where Russell was 2 seconds ahead on a play and players just couldn't get to the right spots to get the pass. Bad spacing, bad fundamentals, bad system.

Russell has been working on his post game this off season, that is how he will separate himself from the PG pack. He is also taller than all the other guys. 10 assists a game should be the goal and I believe it will happen. Russell will be a star and mark my word, will be the best player out of his draft when it is all said and done.

There was a paragraph in a SI article that perfectly summed up Russell's first season. The first game pretty much gave us an indication of how the 81 remaining games played out:

On opening night, Bryant took 24 shots in 28 minutes while 2015 lottery pick D’Angelo Russell mostly stood in the corner and watched. On closing night, a performance for the ages, Bryant scored a season-high 60 points on a career–high 50 shots, as the Lakers sent their franchise player off into retirement with one final “All you can eat” buffet.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/25/lakers-byron-scott-fired-kobe-bryant-dangelo-russell-nick-young

Everyone sacrificed their game so Kobe could retire in peace. Don't think for a second that cats like Towns, Booker or Porzingis wouldn't have taken major statistical hits.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

I thought Randle was one of the top prospects before his year at Kentucky, if not the top. We definitely got the best pick for our position.

Last year, the jury is still out. You can possibly make the argument for Porzingis ahead of DLo but I certainly didn't watch enough of Porzingis to predict that. I still think DLo can be at least the 2nd best player in the draft. I would still take DLo ahead of Okafor.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

I'm very happy with Russell, but Devin Booker would be really nice in this offense (Klay-lite?)
wsjan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Interesting wrote:

But it's not our choice, we draft whoever Philly doesn't take, Ingram or Simmons and I'm happy with either.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: