John Ireland sugggests the Lakers trade the #2 pick for an All-Star. Says Ingram reminds him of Tayshaun Prince.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
im listening to the pod cost. Ireland does do a good job of arguing his point. He says if you can get Paul George for the pick, he says its a no brainer. He then goes through the last 10 years of #2 picks which included 2 stars in Durant And Aldridge, 2 flops in Beasley and Thabeet, and 4 average players, along with 2 wait and sees, the most recent years.

John is right but people here are living a dream. You can count the teams that have made a turn around using the draft as their only source with one hand. Unless there's a Duncan, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Jordan or Kobe you will end up in the lottery just about every May.
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
im listening to the pod cost. Ireland does do a good job of arguing his point. He says if you can get Paul George for the pick, he says its a no brainer. He then goes through the last 10 years of #2 picks which included 2 stars in Durant And Aldridge, 2 flops in Beasley and Thabeet, and 4 average players, along with 2 wait and sees, the most recent years.

John is right but people here are living a dream. You can count the teams that have made a turn around using the draft as their only source with one hand. Unless there's a Duncan, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Jordan or Kobe you will end up in the lottery just about every May.

That's what the 60 million in cap space is for
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, if I'm Mitch I'm trying hard to work out a pg-13 deal. Since the pick is top 2 it has a lot of value to it, I think you could maybe pull it off with an offer of #2/Randle/JC which I would do, throw in #32 if you have too. Then you have PG+D'Lo to build around. With PG here you have a much better chance to pull in quality FA's too. I just wouldn't give up the whole shabang for him (D'lo, JR, JC, #2).
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:
Honestly, if I'm Mitch I'm trying hard to work out a pg-13 deal. Since the pick is top 2 it has a lot of value to it, I think you could maybe pull it off with an offer of #2/Randle/JC which I would do, throw in #32 if you have too. Then you have PG+D'Lo to build around. With PG here you have a much better chance to pull in quality FA's too. I just wouldn't give up the whole shabang for him (D'lo, JR, JC, #2).

That's an awful trade.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
miamichico305
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:

That's an awful trade.

JC is a FA so he would have to agree to trade.. I also doubt Pacers would accept.. PG is a superstar they are going to want RUssell included in any trade.
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:

That's an awful trade.

To get a top-10, 2-way superstar? No way it's a bad deal on our end. I doubt Indy would take it but if they had any inclination to move PG that's what it would take, and he's worth it.

Last edited by Kingpin2010 on Thu May 19, 2016 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

miamichico305 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:

That's an awful trade.

JC is a FA so he would have to agree to trade.. I also doubt Pacers would accept.. PG is a superstar they are going to want RUssell included in any trade.

True about JC, but I think as long as he gets paid and it's not some place he hates he'd be cool with it. I agree about Indy though, I don't think they'd take it and at that point I walk away.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Ireland must have read this thread because he was talking about message boards hating on him today lol
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Ireland must have read this thread because he was talking about message boards hating on him today lol

He is an avid LG'er. He checks the boards on most commercial breaks during the happening times. Not sure if he was doing that during the tank years etc. But I am also fairly certain he posts here regularly. He may even be a mod
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

Tayshaun was a good player. Killed us in 2004 with his perimeter defense and outside touch. 4x NBA all-defensive second team.

I would love a young Tayshaun on this team. Ingram is already as good, if not better, shooter as Tayshaun already. If he can match Tayshaun's defense, then we have our 3 and D player we covet so much.

Anyway, we need to keep our pick because of the ratio between cap space / performance we get from having young promising players. Simple as that.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."

Last edited by Lakersneuron on Sat May 21, 2016 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total
nbcbballthemesong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Who is this mythical all star?

Exactly my thoughts. It's so easy for these sports "analysts" to throw this stuff out there...as if there are multiple all-stars that are on the trading block.

#2 pick by itself does not net you an all-star. A bird in the pocket (current all-star) is better than 2 in the bush (prospects).

Only way a team considers trading an all-star is if they are rebuilding and it's a veteran who has only 1 or 2 more years left. Lakers don't need that right now.
nbcbballthemesong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

Why is everybody suddenly all about Paul George?

Fantastic player, but is he really who you want to go all-in for? Is this really the guy that is going to win the Lakers future championships?

I just don't see him being the guy that is going to consistently beat the other top players in the league when it matters most.

Lakers should keep developing their young core. No need to eat up the cap space just because we have money to spend. Only break the bank for bonafide superstars.....

Time to start thinking long term.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

nbcbballthemesong wrote:

Fantastic player, but is he really who you want to go all-in for? Is this really the guy that is going to win the Lakers future championships?

I just don't see him being the guy that is going to consistently beat the other top players in the league when it matters most.

Lakers should keep developing their young core. No need to eat up the cap space just because we have money to spend. Only break the bank for bonafide superstars.....

He's one of the best defenders in the league while putting up 23/7/4 and just barely entering his prime.

Also we'd have a reason to wear those Devean George jersey's we snagged off the clearance rack at Ross.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

Without a huge free agent pickup, the Lakers will be deep in the lottery again next year. Who knows what the long term potential of these guys will end up turning into but if they do become stars, it will be a few years down the road. If they can get a player in his prime for the pick and/or some of the youth, it balances the roster a lot better. It's just hard to sell that idea because some people can't see a Laker draft pick as anything other than a future hall of famer.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Without a huge free agent pickup, the Lakers will be deep in the lottery again next year. Who knows what the long term potential of these guys will end up turning into but if they do become stars, it will be a few years down the road. If they can get a player in his prime for the pick and/or some of the youth, it balances the roster a lot better. It's just hard to sell that idea because some people can't see a Laker draft pick as anything other than a future hall of famer.

I tend to disagree. I think the Lakers will get some free agents. It might not be KD level,but players will sign with us this off season. Plus with Walton and our young players getting better. I expect 30 to 35 wins.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

nbcbballthemesong wrote:

We have to use 90% of the cap. If we don't eat up cap space with someone good, then the alternative is yet another stop-gap year where we give overpriced short term contracts to players that aren't worth the money so we can preserve flexibility next year.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

tom wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I tend to disagree. I think the Lakers will get some free agents. It might not be KD level,but players will sign with us this off season. Plus with Walton and our young players getting better. I expect 30 to 35 wins.

That's roughly the range I'm expecting too and that puts them deep in the lottery.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:

Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Paul George's career average is 16.9 pts/game and 3.1 assists. That's not a superstar. He had 1 great playoff series. Remember J. J. Barea? He had 1 great playoff series as well. Same with Jason Terry.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Paul George's career average is 16.9 pts/game and 3.1 assists. That's not a superstar. He had 1 great playoff series. Remember J. J. Barea? He had 1 great playoff series as well. Same with Jason Terry.

Before his injury he was on his way to being a super star. He once again made strides this post season. Plus he's just entering his prime.
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject:

If you want us to ignore it, why create this post? I guess you really need attention...typical.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject:

The same folks wanting to keep this pick will be the same one pissing and moaning next spring when we are a 18 win team. Luke will become the new Byron Scott.

TRADE THE PICK!!
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:

Ireland, no more trade proposals from you. (Seinfeld)
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:

Career averages are a misnomer, especially when he averaged 7.8 points his rookie year and 12.1 points his sophomore year. The year before his freak injury, he was the third best SF in the league behind Lebron/KD, and this year he had an even better scoring year, bouncing back from his injrury. 23 PPG with elite defense may not be superstar level, given he's an erratic shot creator at times, but he's a top 15 player in the league for sure, and he's only 26.

Last edited by The Logo on Sat May 21, 2016 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
The same folks wanting to keep this pick will be the same one pissing and moaning next spring when we are a 18 win team. Luke will become the new Byron Scott.

TRADE THE PICK!!

And if that 2nd pick becomes a KD type of player, where will cry those tears at night? No one is giving up their franchise player for a draft pick. You want to trade for a sake of a trade? You want role players for the 2nd pick of the draft?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15
Jump to: