My haunted DVR: Recording by itself, working when unplugged, more

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: My haunted DVR: Recording by itself, working when unplugged, more

Meant to write this when this was happening but then it went back to normal. Reminded of it now with the Time Warner merger.

Last November, our DVR became haunted and insane. It started messing with my mind.

* It would record by itself. I would not push record, I would not schedule recordings. But I would turn on the TV at night and see it had recorded like 6 shows. Random shows. Showtime, a lot of PBS, TLC. Many times, it would only record like 43 minutes, or a weird number like that. All of a sudden there'd be like 14 PBS shows after like three days.

* None of these recordings would show up if I checked what had been recorded. In other words, they were on my DVR -- and I could watch the recordings -- but when I went to "Manage" and Recording Log where you can "see a list of recordings and conflicts" they would not be on there. It was as if they weren't recorded...but they were on the DVR.

* They did not take up ANY space on my DVR. I could delete 15 of them and the total space available would still remain at, say, 67 percent. The DVR was only counting still the ones I recorded. So, if I have 8 Law & Orders that I wanted recorded, those count the space, but right below that are 6 Frontlines that I didn't record and those Frontlines are not taking up actual space. But I could watch those Frontlines.

* A different blue button appeared on the cable box while this was going on. Had never seen it before, never saw it after.

* It recorded shows while the entire thing was unplugged and we were on vacation. True story.

I called Time Warner finally to explain, which took like 20 minutes. The person rebooted it, etc., which I had done, reset everything, etc. Didn't work. They had never heard of something like this happening.

BUT...a day later it stopped doing it. My wife's convinced we were part of some secret surveillance plan, since it stopped shortly after we alerted Time Warner.

So...anyone with technology knowledge or a cable company worker have any idea what the hell was going on? It was so baffling. It was also amusing sort of when I realized it wasn't eating up space or anything. The Time Warner person did say it could have been just a glitch. Uh, okay, but what kind of glitch is that??? SOOOO confusing for about a month.

I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Skynet was testing you to find out how you would react.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I have Direct. Only thing that seems to me to be suspect are the old music video shows on VH1 Classic. I have a lot of those saved and it seems like they just disappear sometimes. I remember some of them by date and highly doubt I would've deleted them on purpose lest I had a serious brainfart. EG lost one recently from 12/9/15 that had a clean version of Marley doing Redemption Song (compared to the shh versions on YT). Either I deleted it after a year of knowing which one it was by date and just don't remember or I might have left it running up to the option at the end asking whether to save or delete. I have a feeling that might be the culprit, in other words, the DVR might self delete if no option is chosen. Problem is, it's only this channel's programming that seems to act fishy.

I can't definitively claim this is a sign that the machines are taking over just yet.

I WILL note though, having recently re-watched T1 in its entirety, that Reese saved Sarah on this very date, 5/19/84. You could see the date punched on her timecard at the restaurant the morning that Arnie set out to terminate her.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Was gonna say it was a firmware bug but if you unplugged it and it had no power source and still managed to record.....wow.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I have Direct. Only thing that seems to me to be suspect are the old music video shows on VH1 Classic. I have a lot of those saved and it seems like they just disappear sometimes. I remember some of them by date and highly doubt I would've deleted them on purpose lest I had a serious brainfart. EG lost one recently from 12/9/15 that had a clean version of Marley doing Redemption Song (compared to the shh versions on YT). Either I deleted it after a year of knowing which one it was by date and just don't remember or I might have left it running up to the option at the end asking whether to save or delete. I have a feeling that might be the culprit, in other words, the DVR might self delete if no option is chosen. Problem is, it's only this channel's programming that seems to act fishy.

I can't definitively claim this is a sign that the machines are taking over just yet.

I WILL note though, having recently re-watched T1 in its entirety, that Reese saved Sarah on this very date, 5/19/84. You could see the date punched on her timecard at the restaurant the morning that Arnie set out to terminate her.

Haha. Somewhere on the Internet I bet there's someone who has put together a movie list of all 365 days. Like, 365 scenes that took place on each day of the year. Buzzfeed should do splice these together.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Ah ha! Skynet wants to know how we will react if the machines inexplicably start doing things that we didn't tell them to do. Autocorrect was just the beginning. We are being conditioned.
Chillin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I used to work for TWC left the company in January. Was there for about 7 years and I have not heard of this happening. There is a chance that someone had access to your My TWC account online where you can setup recording from the app or website. If you have the enhanced DVR which has more space the PBS broadcasts are in standard definition so 15 recordings if they were 30 minutes each may not change the percentage of used data on the DVR. The thing about the DVR recording when unplugged well ummm yeah you have a ghost. =)
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Could you be confusing those recordings with "video on demand", or maybe a WIFI was turned on even though you unplugged the cable.
Chillin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject:

TWC cable boxes have no WIFI capability. The menus for the DVR recordings are totally different.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:

Haha. Somewhere on the Internet I bet there's someone who has put together a movie list of all 365 days. Like, 365 scenes that took place on each day of the year. Buzzfeed should do splice these together.

11/5/55 --------------> 10/26/85

1.21 Gigawatts?!!!!....
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
spflakers wrote:

11/5/55 --------------> 10/26/85

1.21 Gigawatts?!!!!....

Great Scott!
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

It's obvious that Jesus is trying to communicate with you. Have you gone to church?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

You know what, SPF, I had totz forgotten about this, but I DO recall a time 2 yrs ago where my Direct DVR for a week was deleting any new recording that I opened. It didn't matter what the program or channel was. If I had recorded it and opened it even for a second and turned the channel, it would be gone when I went back into my recordings page. That lasted for a week or two. I don't remember if it resolved itself or if I reset the main box.

PS: To the rest of the posters, SPF here should be considered one of the top posters on this site. I've had the privilege of speaking to him via emails and PM on hoops and whatnot. Great guy and a talented writer. He kinda slips under the radar on LG, but he's an example of the quality we have on this site. He and the same with guys like CabinCreek44, Huey of course, Jodeke who we all love, my man KBCB (I will not take any illin on the dude, he's salt of the earth and he and I have had beefs in the past too, but he's a true gent of like minds and of love of chics with nice booties, cmon!).

I LOVE LA! & I LOVE LG!

GoldenThroat?!... WE LOVE HIM!

DaMuleRules?!... WE LOVE HIM!

Huey Lewis And The News?!!... WE LOVE HIM!

Dladi Vidac!! WE LOVE HIM! WE LOVE HIM! WE LOVE HIM!... WE LOVE LG!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

As I learned many years ago as a developer, don't ever program late night when you're drunk.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
You know what, SPF, I had totz forgotten about this, but I DO recall a time 2 yrs ago where my Direct DVR for a week was deleting any new recording that I opened. It didn't matter what the program or channel was. If I had recorded it and opened it even for a second and turned the channel, it would be gone when I went back into my recordings page. That lasted for a week or two. I don't remember if it resolved itself or if I reset the main box.

PS: To the rest of the posters, SPF here should be considered one of the top posters on this site. I've had the privilege of speaking to him via emails and PM on hoops and whatnot. Great guy and a talented writer. He kinda slips under the radar on LG, but he's an example of the quality we have on this site. He and the same with guys like CabinCreek44, Huey of course, Jodeke who we all love, my man KBCB (I will not take any illin on the dude, he's salt of the earth and he and I have had beefs in the past too, but he's a true gent of like minds and of love of chics with nice booties, cmon!).

I LOVE LA! & I LOVE LG!

GoldenThroat?!... WE LOVE HIM!

DaMuleRules?!... WE LOVE HIM!

Huey Lewis And The News?!!... WE LOVE HIM!

Dladi Vidac!! WE LOVE HIM! WE LOVE HIM! WE LOVE HIM!... WE LOVE LG!

Thanks, NPZ. This must be what Byron felt like when Magic and Coop eventually welcomed him as a true Laker after the Nixon trade. And yes, in this comparison, in 30 years I'll become an LG moderator and will let it all go to hell. It'll be the final year Dancing Barry is posting and it will be a farewell tour and he'll be starting 25 to 30 threads a day (except for the days he's resting his old bones) with only about 34 percent of them being any good and when a young poster complains, instead of banning, I'll simply stare at the screen with my arms crossed before I finally cut and paste two words: "Man up."

By the way, remember when Snapper was calling games when We Love LA was regularly played and he pointed out a few times that when that song came on the Lakers occasionally played poorly after it? Maybe it was his secret Blazers love coming out but I can remember especially when he was the second team on NBC in 91 this happening. Always made me nervous that he'd be right.

As for my DVR, I wish I would have taken like pics of the screen when it was happening, or the button that was lit up on the box that's never been lit up before or since. "I'm not crazy," I told the friendly Time Warner lady on the phone, which I'm sure made me sound even crazier. But the fact it did resolve itself a day after talking to them...................
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Google is testing a program called Neebula where it records people's viewing habits through the DVR. I think they are watching you.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:

By the way, remember when Snapper was calling games when We Love LA was regularly played and he pointed out a few times that when that song came on the Lakers occasionally played poorly after it? Maybe it was his secret Blazers love coming out but I can remember especially when he was the second team on NBC in 91 this happening. Always made me nervous that he'd be right.

Did you have the Olympic Triple Cast in 92? Chick did 4 of those games with Snapper as his color commentator. They couldn't have found a better Stu substitute, haha. Chick called him Stu about 15x. Snapper would say, "That's ok..." There was a game against Spain iirc with a player named Jose who was complaining about a call. Chick said, "The ref told him, 'NO WAY, JOSE!'" to which Snapper laughed out loud Stu-style.

A couple of the most indelible Snapper images I have are of him at the 81 Draft. He looked like he had the flu and was about to puke at any moment. He was pouring sweat and gulping like he was desperately trying to tamp it down. Then again, I said 81, so you can't totally rule out the possibility that he had a head full of snow instead of the flu.

Other one is him throwing his headset on the scorer's table in disgust after the Lakers pulled off one of their standard freakish playoff wins. Do you know which gm that was? I'm thinkin it was after "Horry...for the win!...YES!..."

I remember this funny ass banter between him and Bill on NBC. It was at MSG in 2002. Bill was doin his, "Throw it down, bigman!" schtick and was overstating Shaq's influence on the game up to that point. Shaq got the ball and dunked it and Walton said something like, "THAT's what the Lakers need to do more of...Shaq has been DOMINANT and the guards keep ignoring him!" Snapper replies, "That's the only shot down low that Shaq has hit in the GAAAAME (Snapper inflection)." Bill pauses and says, "Balderdash...." He sounded annoyed. Snapper and Greg Gumbel cracked up at balderdash. Classic Bill Walton fuddy-duddy refrain.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

Very freaky.

Got a Bible, holy water, and a crucifix?

Maybe it is possessed?

Time to start watching the Exorcist.

Bye.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject:

At least you don't have a haunted toaster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: