NBA first and second All Rookie Team Announced: D'Angelo makes second team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Forget all the drama off the court. It might have played a part but let's be honest. I didn't think he deserved first team. Despite having good numbers, He was too inconsistent throughout the year and only had a big impact in a handful of games.

Blame it on whoever you want. Byron, Lou, the media, whoever. The fact is, his season wasn't good enough for a #2 pick.

We all saw the flashes though. Which is why I'm hoping for a big improvement this upcoming season. Hopefully Luke will be the one to "set him free" .
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Forget all the drama off the court. It might have played a part but let's be honest. I didn't think he deserved first team. Despite having good numbers, He was too inconsistent throughout the year and only had a big impact in a handful of games.

Blame it on whoever you want. Byron, Lou, the media, whoever. The fact is, his season wasn't good enough for a #2 pick.

We all saw the flashes though. Which is why I'm hoping for a big improvement this upcoming season. Hopefully Luke will be the one to "set him free" .

Every rookie outside of Towns was up and down.

Porzingis had a great November and fell of a cliff after that.

Booker didn't start catching fire till the later part of the season.

Mudiay was awful all year long.

Okafor had a nice offensive season, but was horrible defensively and rebounding wise all season.

There's a legit argument to be made that Russell was better than everyone not named KAT so saying he shouldn't have gone 2 is ridiculous.

Who wouldn't be up and down when you're constantly getting benched for no reason? When you've got to play with three chuckers in Clarkson, Kobe, and Lou?

Most rookies are up and down and Russell was the second best of the year so to not have him first team is a joke.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Still am annoyed that Okafor got it over DLO. If it were Winslow (who was #6 anyways) I wouldn't complain.

But Okafor? Ugh.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject:

The incident probably hurt him a bit.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:

use it as motivation
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Okafor had a nice offensive season, but was horrible defensively and rebounding wise all season.

There's a legit argument to be made that Russell was better than everyone not named KAT so saying he shouldn't have gone 2 is ridiculous.

Who wouldn't be up and down when you're constantly getting benched for no reason? When you've got to play with three chuckers in Clarkson, Kobe, and Lou?

Most rookies are up and down and Russell was the second best of the year so to not have him first team is a joke.

Porzingis wasn't as up and down as you think. He had bad games but he was a factor in most of the games he played in.

Booker started to heat up late december so i'm not sure that qualifies as "latter part of the season". And before December 28 he only had one game where he played more than 25 minutes. You can't say the same for DLO.

Mudiay isn't in the conversation. He's 2nd team. and DLO is better than him.

Okafor despite that still had a better season than DLO. So there's no argument there. Are you saying that DLO had a good defensive season? because he didn't.

Also, I never said DLO didn't deserve to be drafted #2. I just said his performance wasn't good enough this season and like i said. BLAME IT ON WHOEVER YOU WANT but it is what it is.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
KT & Porzingis unanimous dang!

That was a no-brainer.

I have Russell ahead of Booker and I hope he takes it personally and work his butt this offseason to come back stronger next year under a coach that will not throw him under the bus.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Incident plus Bookers strong play to end the season, while Russell struggled, made this a pretty obvious choice. Second team is still pretty good, all things considered.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to DLo.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Marcelo and LNJ got some votes too!
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I felt Dlo was slightly more impressive than Booker this season. Oh well, if it's too close the media will lean towards the non laker guy. In hindsight, Russell rookie campaign was quite impressive considering all the BS he was dealt.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Dlo didn't get 2nd team cause of "the incident" cause okafor had a street brawl and made first team. If it WAS the case, the NBA is saying being a tattle tale is worse than assault and sending the youth a very confused message on ethics.
No, to me, this is just more laker hate. Okafor was out the final quarter of the season and shouldn't qualify, and dlo has identical numbers to booker but with better rebounds.
God, I hope dlo has a mcollum type year, wins most improved and makes all these voters feel dumb.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Dlo didn't get 2nd team cause of "the incident" cause okafor had a street brawl and made first team. If it WAS the case, the NBA is saying being a tattle tale is worse than assault and sending the youth a very confused message on ethics.
No, to me, this is just more laker hate. Okafor was out the final quarter of the season and shouldn't qualify, and dlo has identical numbers to booker but with better rebounds.
God, I hope dlo has a mcollum type year, wins most improved and makes all these voters feel dumb.

Okafor's street brawl didn't get even close to the amount of attention Russell's "incident" did. That (bleep) was front page news almost everywhere.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Porzingis wasn't as up and down as you think. He had bad games but he was a factor in most of the games he played in.

Booker started to heat up late december so i'm not sure that qualifies as "latter part of the season". And before December 28 he only had one game where he played more than 25 minutes. You can't say the same for DLO.

Okafor despite that still had a better season than DLO. So there's no argument there. Are you saying that DLO had a good defensive season? because he didn't.

Also, I never said DLO didn't deserve to be drafted #2. I just said his performance wasn't good enough this season and like i said. BLAME IT
ON WHOEVER YOU WANT but it is what it is.

Basically, there was Towns alone at the top and a steep drop after him.

Then there was Kristaps alone on the second tier.

Then there was about about 7 guys who are roughly equivalent on the third tier -- Booker, Jokic, Okafor, Winslow, Russell, Mudiay and Turner.

You can argue how to order the 7, but they are all about the same tier and it's hard to really get worked up about one over the other unless you have some vested interest in getting worked up.

To me, it's anyone's guess how this class, besides Town, will shake out three years from now.

If you go back to 2012, not too many people would have thought Barnes, Drummond (2nd rookie team) and Draymond Green (no rookie team) would end up top player today.

So I don't see the point in attaching much meaning to the all-rookie team. Only one guy in this class was a star out of the box. Who else will end up a star is a we'l see.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject:

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:

Cool! Good for them too.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:

Seriously?? wow...
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
He got the 4th most overall votes. If it wasn't for the incident, I think some of those 2nd votes turn into 1st votes and he makes first team.

Thanks for the reminder.
I totally forgot about the "incident" w/ Nick... Perhaps it had an impact on voting?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:

Booker probably got votes because of the second half of the season, when he averaged 35 minutes and 19 ppg. Voters gave him extra credit for finishing strong.

Okafur missed a good chunk of the season, but he did put up 18-7 for the season as a whole. He had the second best scoring and rebounding averages after Towns so he was pretty much a no-brainer for 1st team.

I doubt anyone here would be upset about Russell making second team if he weren't a Laker
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Look at the stats... no argument that Booker had a better season and better finish. Dude averaged 22.4 points a game the entire month of March. DLO was at 15.9.

Whatever the reasons... Booker had a better season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Look at the stats... no argument that Booker had a better season and better finish. Dude averaged 22.4 points a game the entire month of March. DLO was at 15.9.

He had the better finished. Statistically, their overall seasons were virtually identical. I'd consider them a coin toss myself.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Also, I never said DLO didn't deserve to be drafted #2. I just said his performance wasn't good enough this season and like i said. BLAME IT ON WHOEVER YOU WANT but it is what it is.

False equivalence. Overall, DLO was a poor defender. Overall, Okafor was one of the worst defenders who single-handedly tanked defenses.

It's not the same, at all. It's like saying, "Well Kawhi is an above average defender and Batum is an above average defender, so there's no functional difference in their defense."

The only way you can honestly say Okafor had a better rookie season, esp. considering he played just 52 games, is if all you value in the game is scoring. He is average to horrible at literally everything else.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

He had one good month. Otherwise, his volume went up really high and his efficiency went really low.

And overall, they are comparable, with DLO edging him out.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject:

You would have to not care about assists, steals, and rebounds to give Booker the edge statistically.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject:

The fact that Mudiay got votes for first team and first place votes for second is downright stupid. I've seen people fired for less incompetence.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: