#2 Pick for Hayward?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: #2 Pick for Hayward?

Musings from Utah paper:

Quote:
As for the draft, the possibility of trades or activity in the free-agent market, Lindsey said: "You want to do something dynamic."

How about this: What if the Jazz were to trade their best player and their 12th pick, and whatever else it would take, to, say, the Lakers for the second overall pick in the draft?

Is that chaotic or dynamic enough?

Word is, the Jazz have identified one of the top two projected picks — Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram — as a real difference-maker. If that's true, would it be worth making a move to get him, even a dramatic one, even if it fractured what they've previously done? Yes, yes it would.

Gordon Hayward is a very good player, as was displayed by his past season, during which he averaged 19.7 points, 3.7 assists and five rebounds per game. He's a conscientious two-way player, a pro's pro, who can make plays and defend. The Jazz have invested a lot of time and effort in bringing Hayward along, and in giving him opportunity to lead the way in their developmental project.

But there are two problems: First, as good as Hayward is, he's not anybody's superstar. Second, he can opt out of his contract as an unrestricted free agent after next season.

Link

2 and dump Young for Hayward and 12? I'm all for it.

It's very unlikely that Ingram in Year 2 is as good as Hayward is now. I'm not high on picks but if you can dump Young and get 12 too? Done deal in my book. LA can grab someone ready to make an impact at 12 like Valentine.

Question is belief in upside. Does LA believe Ingram is going to be a franchise player? Do they believe Russell and/or Randle have the same or greater upside? I have my belief but what LA feels is what matters.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject:

Hmm...I like Hayward a lot, but I would keep Ingram and use cap space to get someone in free agency.

Plus, he's a FA after next season. I think Ingram's ceiling is greater than Hayward's, who is a really good player who is probably never sniffing an all star appearance.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:

I would definitely do Ingram and Young for Hayward and the #12. Not sure why Utah would do it though.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

I don't see why any Lakers fan of the FO would want to make that move. Why are so many people insiststent on trading the number 2 pick or most of our young players?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If this is true (and that's a big IF), there must be something about the consensus top two picks to make Utah consider trading their best player for it. That alone makes me want to keep the pick, as we should be playing the long game here and setting ourselves up for the next decade.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
I would definitely do Ingram and Young for Hayward and the #12. Not sure why Utah would do it though.

This is probably the kind of trade that is "realistic" for the 2nd pick, though I lean towards keeping it and using free agency to get a veteran player.

If we were capped this summer that's a whole different story, but there are lots of possibilities this summer via FA. No need to burn an major blue chip asset like Ingram for Hayward.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

This is another one of those ideas that are fun to consider.

Another I heard was a Kings WCS and the #8 for #2. Certainly make you pause and wonder.

But IMO the Lakers should take either Simmons or Ingram. Too much talent and potential in both to try to get too cute with the pick.

Adding vets is what the hoarded cap space and free agency is all about this summer. Keep with that plan.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

LilJay24 wrote:
I don't see why any Lakers fan of the FO would want to make that move. Why are so many people insiststent on trading the number 2 pick or most of our young players?

They are spies from other teams coming here to sabotage!

stay strong brothers
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ingram has superstar potential, Hayward is a good role player. I think Hayward goes to the Celtics with his coach Stevens.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Ingram has superstar potential, Hayward is a good role player. I think Hayward goes to the Celtics with his coach Stevens.

Same here.

Hayward isn't a superstar nor does he have that potential.

But this is probably the types of deals that would be pitched to Mitch.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject:

Ingram has potential - he also could be a bust - risk of any pick.

Can't see Ingram being as good as Hayward the next couple of years. LA could get Hayward, still sign DeRozan and a FA Center. Not either or.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject:

2Cleva wrote:
Ingram has potential - he also could be a bust - risk of any pick.

Can't see Ingram being as good as Hayward the next couple of years. LA could get Hayward, still sign DeRozan and a FA Center. Not either or.

Sure. But we can also keep Ingram and sign a SF via free agency. Best of both worlds.
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject:

I would not do that trade at all!! They would have to offer a whole lot more for me to even consider. For all we know, Ingram could end up being much better than Hayward and he's much younger.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject:

Hell no. You don't trade that pick for anything less than a star. I don't care about the 12th pick in what is a bad draft after Ingram and Simmons.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:

Because it will be easier to lure all-star free agents to the Lakers with a proven all-star on this team. Kevin Durant is not going to wait around for these players to develop, they want to win now.

I'm not saying the Lakers will get Durant, but I know that's who they're going after in the off-season.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject:

I think that's a pretty fair trade, but I don't think the Lakers will move the pick unless it's for someone who is a real game changer. I think Hayward is a really, really good player...but is he a franchise star? In LA? I don't think so and unless they are getting that level of talent I think the lakers will hold onto the promise of that level of talent and keep the pick
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I think that's a pretty fair trade, but I don't think the Lakers will move the pick unless it's for someone who is a real game changer. I think Hayward is a really, really good player...but is he a franchise star? In LA? I don't think so and unless they are getting that level of talent I think the lakers will hold onto the promise of that level of talent and keep the pick

I just don't like the concept of trading for a non-superstar when we have 60m+ in cap space to get one AND keep the young stud like Simmons or Ingram.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

We're settling for players like Hayward? What are we, the Hawks?

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject:

Hayward + their young big
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:

Let Hayward go to Boston. Ingram can be really special.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Hayward + their young big

the french one

he whos name does not matter
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

Brandon is 18 with a 7'3" wingspan and still growing. No way am I trading that straight up for Gordon Hayward and a 12th pick, unless I know there is a Kobe Bryant in that 12th pick

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Fri May 20, 2016 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

Because it will be easier to lure all-star free agents to the Lakers with a proven all-star on this team. Kevin Durant is not going to wait around for these players to develop, they want to win now.

I'm not saying the Lakers will get Durant, but I know that's who they're going after in the off-season.

I have no issue with this marquee free agent fantasy team if there is any indication it could happen. So far it seems to be only in the minds of Laker fans.

If Kupchak already has heard some back channel interest from a couple of players like Durant then make the move. But if it is an isolated "we hope this gets the ball rolling" type move then it could potentially back fire and slow if not kill the rebuild.

If there is any indication that Durant and his buddies have interest in forming a super team they already know how strong his interest is now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject:

Hayward favors
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

Interesting idea. Utah scouts would obviously be stating Ingram is the trancendent player if they'd offer that.

Now something like Nick Young, Lou Williams, #32, and #2 for Heyward and Gobert... that I'd do as the Lakers.

Because then you could get Derozan. You then have a starting lineup of DLO, Derozan, Heyward, Randle, and Gobert

You are around the 5th seed out west with a roster like that, and still would have some cap room and as DLO and Randle improve your team will be getting better..

I would be willing to pay you for it.

Last edited by GonzagaAlum on Fri May 20, 2016 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: