#2 Pick for Hayward?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Is Hayward a top 10 player in the league? No? Then no to the trade.

Top 10 white player?
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

Keep the pick and draft either Simmons or Ingram. We have 3-4 all star potential players in Russell, Simmons/Ingram, Randle and Clarkson with Russell and Simmons/Ingram are franchise players potential. We also have good role players in Nance and Brown. Let them play together for 1 year. Next year we still have chance to sign great player like Westbrook, Butler or who knows James or Durant. Not bad
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

The Funkbot does not approve. NO NO NO! A million times NO. Hayward is good, but we need great. This is shortsighted and will get us no where in the long run except for first round exits. I mean look, Utah did not even make the playoffs this year with him.

This is the kind of thinking that brought us the Nash trade. We gotta rebuild for real now. Plus, we can still get guys in the FA without having to trade away our #2.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry, but I don't see the musings of a Utah writer as Laker news.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

Hayward won't make Utah a contender throughout his career. They'll be a playoff team that's it. I'll take the chance with Ingram. Mitch already said that there maybe like 2 players he'd consider trading it for. Don't see us giving up #2 unless its for some a superstar like PG. Mitch was high about keeping a good player for cheap with #2 and then use cap space to sign veterans.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
I don't see why any Lakers fan of the FO would want to make that move. Why are so many people insiststent on trading the number 2 pick or most of our young players?

Because it will be easier to lure all-star free agents to the Lakers with a proven all-star on this team. Kevin Durant is not going to wait around for these players to develop, they want to win now.

I'm not saying the Lakers will get Durant, but I know that's who they're going after in the off-season.

I have no issue with this marquee free agent fantasy team if there is any indication it could happen. So far it seems to be only in the minds of Laker fans.

If Kupchak already has heard some back channel interest from a couple of players like Durant then make the move. But if it is an isolated "we hope this gets the ball rolling" type move then it could potentially back fire and slow if not kill the rebuild.

If there is any indication that Durant and his buddies have interest in forming a super team they already know how strong his interest is now.

It shouldn't be a fantasy if Durant makes it known that he's going to test free agency. If he's going to test free agency, then he's obviously going to look for a team that's best suited for him to win an NBA championship.

Lakers will become a more attractive team if they traded for a proven all-star instead of a player who comes in with question marks. What makes the situation special is that the Lakers don't have to wait for Durant to make his decision, they can also go after other free agents while going after Durant.

I don't believe it a fantasy considering the Lakers have around $60M in cap space.

As I said, not opposed to the plan if there is legitimate indication that the Lakers are in the running. IMO the "quick fix" and the "patience and development" approaches are farther apart then most people are thinking. Lakers have to choose one and stick to it.

I am biased, I endorse a rebuild approach. Keep the pick, keep the core group intact, add some quality good fit free agents and let Walton have a season to install the systems and evaluate.

The quick fix path takes trading away talent at all costs. Once you go down that pathway you can't risk a D. Jordan back track by Durant and friends. Just like Riley "knew" the Big Three were bringing their talents to Miami, just like Parsons has been openly recruiting players for a couple years now or even the dinner meeting between Shaq's agent and Dr. Buss. Communication goes on in the murky grey area of tampering. I expect Kupchak to have some reasonable knowledge before gutting the young team in trades.

If the Lakers trade away any of the young core for an all-star he has to be pretty confident that something significant is going to happen. He can't trade away assets for Butler for example on the hopes that a marquee free agent might consider the Lakers. He has to know.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

You make deals like this one if Kobe is still on the team and you try to squeeze out another deep run, or if you want to get back into the playoffs as soon as possible and are contend to be the 6th or 7th seed for the conceivable future. But if you want to be a championship contender, you got to roll with the 2nd pick, unless you can get a franchise type player in return, a Cousins or PG13.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't trade the number 2 for Utah's entire roster. They don't have anything that resembles the quality of player we're looking at. We can get the type of players Utah has to offer through free agency.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Let's put it this way, I wouldn't trade the number 2 for Utah's entire roster. They don't have anything that resembles the quality of player we're looking at. We can get the type of players Utah has to offer through free agency.

Gobert my friend. I really like this guy and what he brings on the table you don't find any day.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

But it is a pretty good litmus test as to where Laker fans think the value of the pick is in relation to a trade. PG13 is too obvious. Butler could be argued, especially in the context of how he helps free agency. Hayward and an asset is interesting because he isn't name brand and #12 isn't perceived to be great this year. But you could make the case that Hayward is a very good #2 with the cost being a potential #1.

My take is is that he isn't in the handful and in general wouldn't mind keeping the pick and watching the team grow. For me that's actually one of the more fun parts (as opposed to what LA tried to do in 2012, with the Kobe/Odom/Pau/Bynum team being the happy medium especially because Boston was at the end of the rainbow). Now the Scott is gone and we have a good coach, it will be fun again.
RJ_LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:

Gordon would fit well in Luke's system. Imagine this lineup:

Russell/Clarkson
Durant/Derozan
Hayward/H Barnes
Nance/Randle
Drummond/Ezeli

Mitch wants results now, so I'm ok with trading our #2 pick for Hayward and the #12. We could pick up Thon Maker at #12.
SemperMalum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

It isn't. And the musing doesn't even really specify targets for trades.

I will say, though, people are looking down a bit on Hayward which is kind of sad. Guy's a baller and a work horse.

Now that I think about it, Ingram's quiet but determined demeanor is pretty close to Haywards. Not a bad thing at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hayward in P&G but I wouldn't want us to trade Ingram away and lose our cap space. Just kind of weird to see the hate on him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

I was in favor of usin the pick to get Hayward but that was if we were at the 3rd spot.

I'm not trading Ingram unless we are getting Anthony Davis.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

RJ_LA wrote:

Russell/Clarkson
Durant/Derozan
Hayward/H Barnes
Nance/Randle
Drummond/Ezeli

Mitch wants results now, so I'm ok with trading our #2 pick for Hayward and the #12. We could pick up Thon Maker at #12.

How many max guys you have in there? How about Lebron? Might as well add him to the rotation.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

I actually like Stephen A Smith's comparison to the 2003 draft in that Simmons has the similar set of skills as Lebron, whereas Ingram would be the Carmelo equivalent. I find that interesting because I've thought for awhile that the one guy that has a chance to be the best of the bunch would be Kris Dunn, and he actually has some Wade in him.

If there is a scenario where Kris Dunn falls to a team that has an additional young talent like the Kings, and they're willing to package WCS with the pick, provided that Dunn is still on board... Now that, I would consider strongly. The way things have played out, they are saying Dunn might slip now since most top drafting teams don't need a PG. Also, Dunn's agent says they want no part of Boston.
RJ_LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

Russell/Clarkson
Durant/Derozan
Hayward/H Barnes
Nance/Randle
Drummond/Ezeli

How many max guys you have in there? How about Lebron? Might as well add him to the rotation.

Let me be more realistic and take out Derozan and Barnes. We're looking at a top 4 seed with this roster.

Russell/Clarkson
Durant/N Young
Hayward/A Brown
Nance/Randle
Drummond/Ezeli

I really want Young gone, but he could actually prosper in Luke's system.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

Give me Hood, 12, Gobert and we can start a conversation. And that is too much for Utah. Non-starter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MitchThaGod
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

This is a tough one but I think I would pull the trigger on it. He's really really solid. As far as true SF's go hes top 5ish in the league.

I randomly caught a game he had with OKC a year or two ago and he put up something like 37/10/8 against Durant on a ridiculous percentage. Hayward is no joke. Durant had 48 but Utah won. It was literally a 1 on 1 game and he looked great.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't trade the #2 pick for Hayward since we can get him next summer as a free agent.
MitchThaGod
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

I dont love the 12 pick but I wouldn't mind a guy like Sabonis there.
LakesBk2Bk
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
This is another one of those ideas that are fun to consider.

Another I heard was a Kings WCS and the #8 for #2. Certainly make you pause and wonder.

But IMO the Lakers should take either Simmons or Ingram. Too much talent and potential in both to try to get too cute with the pick.

Adding vets is what the hoarded cap space and free agency is all about this summer. Keep with that plan.

No way I would do this? We don't need two non shooters in WCS and Randle in the same starting 5 and who would be around at the 8 pick?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject:

If there is ANY chance at the #1 or #2 picks being superstars in this league, you can't risk trading them for a couple of good picks.

One thing we know in this league. You don't win rings without superstars. Merely having good pros, doesn't cut it. Those kind of guys will line up at your door, once you have the superstars in place.

I would NOT trade either of those picks for anything less than a superstar player. Sad but true, we can't risk that one of them ends out busting out to stardom and we would have to sit here and take all the criticism for letting them go!!

ONLY FOR A REAL STAR DIFFERENCE MAKER. So, someone who is tired of their current team and wants a change.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 Pick for Hayward?

Quote:
Word is, the Jazz have identified one of the top two projected picks — Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram — as a real difference-maker.

GTHO!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 Pick for Hayward?

hydrohead wrote:
Quote:
Word is, the Jazz have identified one of the top two projected picks — Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram — as a real difference-maker.

GTHO!

lol
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject:

REallY? Hayward plays on a team w/goebert and they still didn't make the playoffs, so how would Hayward and/or Goebert make the Lakers better? You trade the 1st or 2nd pick for proven all-star. Not for a player who's skill level has probably maxed...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: