Byron Scott w/Dan Patrick - Porzingis almost a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I'd still take Russell over Porzingis and I wish Byron would shut the heck up
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
22 wrote:
I'd still take Russell over Porzingis and I wish Byron would shut the heck up

That's actually what B.S. said. he'll still take Russell over Porzingis
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

I don't understand the love affair with Porzingis. I guess it just shows what a stranglehold Phil still has on the media.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I think what Byron was trying to say is you need unique elite talent (Curry, Green and Klay) to make that system successfully work.

A system is successful when it maximizes the talent within it. Sometimes success means 30 wins, sometimes it means 73. You do not need uniquely elite talent for this system to work.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
32 wrote:
I think what Byron was trying to say is you need unique elite talent (Curry, Green and Klay) to make that system successfully work.

A system is successful when it maximizes the talent within it. Sometimes success means 30 wins, sometimes it means 73. You do not need uniquely elite talent for this system to work.

yeah, you need to buy into the system and not do iso offense. If you have the special offensive talent(s) then you spoonfeed those players (GSW players will pass an open shot for a Curry/Klay 3)
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I don't understand the love affair with Porzingis. I guess it just shows what a stranglehold Phil still has on the media.

From what I gathered from what many LG members here said over the past few months was because Porzingis is white and in NY. If he was black and on some small market team, he wouldn't be considered anything special.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Just watched the interview, and Byron and Dan Patrick are laughing about how Luke's Warriors system isn't guna work here. Byron says "it's not gunna work. You better bring those players"

I guess he'll know it works when we more than double his win total from this last season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Just watched the interview, and Byron and Dan Patrick are laughing about how Luke's Warriors system isn't guna work here. Byron says "it's not gunna work. You better bring those players"

I guess he'll know it works when we more than double his win total from this last season.

More than 34 wins for us this upcoming season? Maybe...but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Will need some good luck in FA to make that happen.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He'll just credit that to whomever we sign in FA and Kobe not being around.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

More than 34 wins for us this upcoming season? Maybe...but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Will need some good luck in FA to make that happen.

I thought we should have had more wins last season but lost many of them for various reasons. Either way, I am being optimistic, but I do like our chances of nailing down some average to above average starters and our young players improving from last season.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

Everything Byron says makes me think less of him as a bball mind.

I idolized him in the 80's, was excited when he "mentored" Kobe in the 90's, was rooting for him in N.O. (until we played them), but ever since Cleveland he has been exposing himself as an uninformed basketball presence. His stubbornness seems like a front, and he is effectively saying, "In the Showtime days we played like this, so go out there and man up"!

This is a far cry from be set in your ways, that only works if you are having success (Popovich)! Otherwise, sports is a microcosm of life, and you have to be able to adjust, roll with the punches, ride out the storm...insert adaptability cliche here!

No more from Byron until D'Lo and Ingram are hoisting the Larry O'Brien...than we can say thank you for not knowing anything about modern basketball
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I watched the interview, it really wasn't that bad of an interview.

But hearing him talk about the Warriors is a good reminder why he got fired.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Anyone have a link to the Patrick interview?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Full interview. Part 1 has the Porzingis stuff
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

thanks
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

yes I believe we will. I just pray that a true narrative gets out, that the team and DLo are way improved because of coaching and the system.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

You are taking what he said out of context.

The discussion was how the Warriors' system wouldn't work with every other team in the NBA and he was right. Exactly copying the Warrior's system wouldn't work immediately.

He added that Steph, Klay and Draymond (and pretty much the GSW core) have played together already for a number of years. Implying that the "system" was never an overnight implementation. He mentioned in the interview that you would still have to play the game according to the strengths of your players.

I agree with what he said. Bringing Luke in wouldn't automatically bring us to the playoffs. It will definitely take a few years to develop our core and system and we would still have to add a lot of pieces to be successful.

That said, Byron didn't practice what he preached. His offense is old and ISO heavy despite him saying that the "newfound" ball movement today isn't much different from the 80's. So yeah. Byron still sucks as a coach.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: