What will happen to Roy Hibbert?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

He served his purpose last season as a: salary cap dump.

He shouldn't be re signed at all.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen to Roy Hibbert?

15 wrote:
Would u guys give him a 2nd chance for MLE money?

He was really, really, really, really slow, but not slow enough for my liking.
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject:

I seriously doubt he's coming back, but at the vet min, he'd be better than Sacre.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject:

A one way ticket to the glue factory... Or the La Brea Tar Pits seeing how Dinosaur centers are facing extinction...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
He served his purpose last season as a: salary cap dump.

He shouldn't be re signed at all.

He wasn't really a salary cap dump. If that were the case, we would be the ones getting the draft pick in the trade.

Mitch simply thought there was a chance he needed a change of scenery to get back on trick. It was a low risk solid reward type of move, that didn't pan out.
KG24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: What will happen to Roy Hibbert?

15 wrote:

NO... too slow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
He won't be back. Just too slow for our guards. I think he ends up in a slow pace offense like the Bucks.
Vogel would consider him on his roster. Maybe he will play for the Grizzlies, once they have found a coach
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
I like Roy, good guy, good teammate.

but his playing style no longer fits the modern day NBA....

at least not for what we are going for....

wish him best of luck.

My thoughts exactly. All the best to him and his family.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

He will fall down in free agency but will get up very slowly.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

He probably wants to chase a ring somewhere. Give his time to Tarik or whatever big the lakers take in the 2nd round.
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

This is a joke, right?
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

I hope he can get us a second round pick or something.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

EldenCampbell wrote:
I seriously doubt he's coming back, but at the vet min, he'd be better than Sacre.

No, Sacre can play the pace that the Lakers will play, Roy just can't do it.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

Posters here will naturally give you opinions based on jaded feelings calling him an extinct dinosaur and scoffing at the idea of bringing him back even if the league payed the Lakers to keep him.

The reality is that Roy Hibbert is an excellent player. He has elite size and an uncommon skill set of being a shot-blocking big who can consistently hit both free-throws and mid-range jumpers meanwhile by all accounts being a positive locker room presence.

That's not the say he doesn't have flaws. He's very slow and unfit for an uptempo pace, his post play is underdeveloped, and he can't seem to rebound if his life depended on it.

Taking all this into account, he's a great backup quality big with upside as he's just now entering his prime with the chance to be a starting quality center in the right system. However, that system he could be good in isn't the Lakers system that Luke Walton likely looks to install. Given this, I can't say no to Roy Hibbert on a minimum contract. He's just too good and even if he doesn't fit the system could serve as an excellent change of pace player in crunch time situations where defense is paramount.

Here is where the Lakers stand. Roy Hibbert's cap hold and bird rights will certainly be renounced because they take up a large portion of our 60 million dollars of cap space with which to sign free agents. Because of this the Lakers won't be able to go over the salary cap to resign Roy Hibbert. However the Lakers do have the Mid-Level Exception worth $5,628,000 that they can use to sign Roy Hibbert over the salary cap for one year after they've used up their cap space. So in theory the team could look something like:

D'Angelo Russell/Jordan Clarkson/Marcelo Huertas
DeMar DeRozan/Lou Williams/Nick Young
Brandon Ingram/Anthony Brown/32nd Pick
Julius Randle/Larry Nance Jr./Ryan Kelly
Hassan Whiteside/Roy Hibbert/Tarik Black

This would be the only scenario where I see Roy Hibbert returning. However, with his unique skill set and the exploding salary cap I see him getting a much richer and longer offer elsewhere and possibly a starting position. He'd have to take less money then he could probably earn elsewhere and embrace a position coming off the bench to stay.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

Same thing that happened to Boozer

DUde has made plenty of money. Time to play video games professionally.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

That's his problem to figure out.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Posters here will naturally give you opinions based on jaded feelings calling him an extinct dinosaur and scoffing at the idea of bringing him back even if the league payed the Lakers to keep him.

The reality is that Roy Hibbert is an excellent player. He has elite size and an uncommon skill set of being a shot-blocking big who can consistently hit both free-throws and mid-range jumpers meanwhile by all accounts being a positive locker room presence.

That's not the say he doesn't have flaws. He's very slow and unfit for an uptempo pace, his post play is underdeveloped, and he can't seem to rebound if his life depended on it.

Taking all this into account, he's a great backup quality big with upside as he's just now entering his prime with the chance to be a starting quality center in the right system. However, that system he could be good in isn't the Lakers system that Luke Walton likely looks to install. Given this, I can't say no to Roy Hibbert on a minimum contract. He's just too good and even if he doesn't fit the system could serve as an excellent change of pace player in crunch time situations where defense is paramount.

Here is where the Lakers stand. Roy Hibbert's cap hold and bird rights will certainly be renounced because they take up a large portion of our 60 million dollars of cap space with which to sign free agents. Because of this the Lakers won't be able to go over the salary cap to resign Roy Hibbert. However the Lakers do have the Mid-Level Exception worth $5,628,000 that they can use to sign Roy Hibbert over the salary cap for one year after they've used up their cap space. So in theory the team could look something like:

This would be the only scenario where I see Roy Hibbert returning. However, with his unique skill set and the exploding salary cap I see him getting a much richer and longer offer elsewhere and possibly a starting position. He'd have to take less money then he could probably earn elsewhere and embrace a position coming off the bench to stay.

For a very small salary he's not that bad of an idea, but at this point I'd rather Tarik Black get those minutes
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen to Roy Hibbert?

15 wrote:

He failed the audition.

Hibbert has seen himself eclipsed in an amazingly short time because the NBA has evolved from his skillset.

I don't see what you get from Hibbert that you don't get from Sacre at the minimum wage. And that's what I think Hibbert is at this point: An 11-14th man that you plug in now and then for specific situations, but who mostly racks up DNP-CD.

But he's not far enough removed from being an all-star and getting a massive salary that I don't think he'll accept that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Hasn't been the same since he got concussed by LeBron.

GREAT teamate though.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Maybe he goes to Utah or Toronto. Any team that plays slow.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzj3iXrFXfE
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:

I think that they would have a Room Mid-Level Exception available to use rather than a Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.

25. What are salary cap exceptions?

Quote:
ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only to teams that drop far enough below the cap to use cap room, and lose their Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 26). This exception cannot be used if the team has already used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions. This exception becomes available once the team salary drops far enough that the team loses its other exceptions, and expires following the last day of the regular season.

This exception allows a team to sign any free agent, starting at up to the following amounts:
Code:

Season   First-year salary
2011-12   $2.500 million
2012-13   $2.575 million
2013-14   $2.652 million
2014-15   $2.732 million
2015-16   $2.814 million
2016-17   $2.898 million
2017-18   $2.985 million
2018-19   $3.075 million
2019-20   $3.167 million
2020-21   $3.262 million

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

roy went from all star and 2nd team defensive selection to COLD WET COMPLETE GARBAGE. WTH hell happened to him
TheGoat1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Roy Hibbert is a relic from the past. A dinosaur really in today's NBA. There are no more Wilt's, Shaq's, or Yao's for him to come off the bench to defend. Being 7ft tall just isn't enough to make it in the NBA these days.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him exhibited in the Natural History Museum come this fall.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject:

TheGoat1 wrote:
Roy Hibbert is a relic from the past. A dinosaur really in today's NBA. There are no more Wilt's, Shaq's, or Yao's for him to come off the bench to defend. Being 7ft tall just isn't enough to make it in the NBA these days.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him exhibited in the Natural History Museum come this fall.

When I watched Roy Hibbert this year, it almost looked like watching a 50 year old Kevin Willis playing the C position..seriously what the hell?

I remember when we acquired him and he went to TWC talking about protecting the paint for his teammates and being that help defender... Seriously how can someone just embarrasse himself like that? Maybe if we create a playoff roster and we start winning he might start playing motivated, or else I think all that losing might have destroyed his whole energy or maybe he wants to retire from the NBA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: