Which young player should be the #1 option and the keys to be the franchise player?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be given the keys to be the face of the franchise on the young core?
Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram
26%
 26%  [ 31 ]
D'Angelo Russell
42%
 42%  [ 50 ]
Jordan Clarkson
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Julius Randle
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
None of them. ( Please Explain )
19%
 19%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 118

L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Simmons is the only "number one option" talent on the list in my opinion. I don't think we will get Ben; ergo, none of the above. We don't have a number one option talent on this roster yet.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

What a stupid poll. Doesn't even have KD, PG, DD, Westbrook, or Whiteside on his list. We are getting all those players in next two years.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

I'd assume Ingram would be our number 1 scoring option considering he should be the best scorer on the team, that's what makes him he number 2 pick is his scoring versatility. Dlo will be the primary ball handler and leader. Randle will be the third option and clarkson will run the bench mob. Of course if a KD or DD or someone of that caliber they'd obviously be the primary scoring option and leader
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson and Russell will probably be better scorers than Ingram next year. Ingram isn't close to being a great 1v1 scorer right now, imo, despite the stats/ infographic that says he was better ISO than Durant in college. There's a reason that the pundits consider him far from being Durant - and it's the lack of ISO prowess.
He's decent 1v1 but his favorite move, the spin in the lane, yea that's not even going to work against these heavier NBA players.
Ingram will be my favorite laker next year, but probably the 3rd best scorer on the team. He's my fav cuz the upside's just crazy, and he'll be solid next year.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Clarkson and Russell will probably be better scorers than Ingram next year. Ingram isn't close to being a great 1v1 scorer right now, imo, despite the stats/ infographic that says he was better ISO than Durant in college. There's a reason that the pundits consider him far from being Durant - and it's the lack of ISO prowess.
He's decent 1v1 but his favorite move, the spin in the lane, yea that's not even going to work against these heavier NBA players.
Ingram will be my favorite laker next year, but probably the 3rd best scorer on the team. He's my fav cuz I loves me some length on my basketball players, and he'll be solid next year.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Ingram will be my favorite laker next year, but probably the 3rd best scorer on the team. He's my fav cuz I loves me some length on my basketball players, and he'll be solid next year.

Mannn that's so what I wanted to write. Lmao I swear
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

gotta live your truth breh
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

gotta live your truth breh

Smh
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Randle is my guy

This. Right now Randle is my guy and I see him and D'Angelo leading the Lakers forward - other than a veteran player brought in by trade or FA
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Rambis!!! Anyone who doesn't agree is an idiot!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

<Who should be given the keys to be the face of the franchise on the young core?>

Faces have keys?
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject:

It is too early to ask this question. They have not proven anything yet.
Junobil
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject:

Anyone read that recent article arguing for the Croation Bender at #2 after Simmons? A 7'1 center who can pass and shoot, and will be 19 in November.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject:

Come on guys, this is a silly thread.

We, nor the front office, appoint a #1 option leader for the team.

That is earned. Really not even earned, it is taken.

They guy who owns practice!

Kobe challenged EVERYONE. Made them prove themselves to him, and let them know what he could do that they couldn't do.

That is the guy who will be our #1.

Honestly, I believe it is going to be either DLO or Simmons/Ingram.

The problem with Simmons is he has a more limited offensive game. Teams will be able to stack the middle with goons and slow him down.

I think Ingram could become a lethal offensive player, at the very least.
joey25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Come on guys, this is a silly thread.

We, nor the front office, appoint a #1 option leader for the team.

That is earned. Really not even earned, it is taken.

They guy who owns practice!

Kobe challenged EVERYONE. Made them prove themselves to him, and let them know what he could do that they couldn't do.

That is the guy who will be our #1.

Honestly, I believe it is going to be either DLO or Simmons/Ingram.

The problem with Simmons is he has a more limited offensive game. Teams will be able to stack the middle with goons and slow him down.

I think Ingram could become a lethal offensive player, at the very least.

I agree. It's not something that you give to a player and say this is your team now. That player has to earn it. Kobe is a great example of that, he was a bench player in his first year and didn't even play much.

So i view question as 'who do you think will eventually become the leader of our young core with his play?' My answer is D'angelo. My reasoning for this is because I believe this is a point guard driven league and we probably have the best point guard generation the league has ever seen. The game is much more spread out and shooting is the most important skill in today's game. So I think the requirements needed for being an elite player in modern game suits D'angelo's game the best out of our young guys.

Last edited by joey25 on Tue May 24, 2016 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Simmons is the only "number one option" talent on the list in my opinion. I don't think we will get Ben; ergo, none of the above. We don't have a number one option talent on this roster yet.

How so? From what I've seen, Simmons wants to be a distributor. He works on that more than his shooting. But if he gets his shooting down and some alpha in him, the sky's the limit. Right now, Russell has more alpha in him than Simmons.
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject:

Being "alpha" is a ridiculous concept in my opinion. We're talking about a basketball team not a mating hierarchy in the jungle. Skill set is what matters. The rest is pseudo-scientific jargon spewed by fans and pundits.

To me, a number one option is someone who can consistently create quality looks for his team at an elite level. Imagine a young LeBron if you will. He didn't come into the league with much of a jump shot nor really any post game to speak of. However, he was essentially unguardable off the dribble which allowed him to create good looks for his team almost at will.

I think Simmons will be that kind of player.

I don't see anyone on our current roster who can be that player -- especially next year. I don't think Ingram will be that player, either.

However, none of that is to say that I'm not high on our young guys. I just personally don't think we have a dominant number one option on this roster yet (or anyone will become one).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I know. I think it's all about girth.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Being "alpha" is a ridiculous concept in my opinion. We're talking about a basketball team not a mating hierarchy in the jungle. Skill set is what matters. The rest is pseudo-scientific jargon spewed by fans and pundits.

To me, a number one option is someone who can consistently create quality looks for his team at an elite level. Imagine a young LeBron if you will. He didn't come into the league with much of a jump shot nor really any post game to speak of. However, he was essentially unguardable off the dribble which allowed him to create good looks for his team almost at will.

I don't see anyone on our current roster who can be that player -- especially next year. I don't think Ingram will be that player, either.

However, none of that is to say that I'm not high on our young guys. I just personally don't think we have a dominant number one option on this roster yet (or anyone will become one).

I think it does exist. Next time you watch a game pay attention to team huddles. You'll see players and coaches converge around 'the guy'. I especially remember the game against Brooklyn, when D'Lo was making shot after shot. Even Byron couldn't contain himself. I doubt players even talk about it, we're all just too damn proud, but its a natural thing, everybody just knows when to fall in line.

So Kidd was a number #1 option? Maybe Stockton, and while we're at it Rondo....this of course is going by your definition of "#1 option'.

No, its not the jungle, its a team but every team needs a leader but even beyond that, every team needs 'the guy'. Our most recent lesson in this being the 2015 Hawks.

Russell vs The Timberwolves, Kings and The Nets, small sample but for a 19/20 year old rookie, the kid showed us he can be a special player.
So of course, I disagree with you there, I think we do have 'a guy' with the potential to become 'the guy'
KG24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject:

Thon Maker, No but really I see Julius Randle as the best player and leader of the Lakers next year.

Last edited by KG24 on Tue May 24, 2016 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
L4L wrote:

I think it does exist. Next time you watch a game pay attention to team huddles. You'll see players and coaches converge around 'the guy'. I especially remember the game against Brooklyn, when D'Lo was making shot after shot. Even Byron couldn't contain himself. I doubt players even talk about it, we're all just too damn proud, but its a natural thing, everybody just knows when to fall in line.

So Kidd was a number #1 option? Maybe Stockton, and while we're at it Rondo....this of course is going by your definition of "#1 option'.

No, its not the jungle, its a team but every team needs a leader but even beyond that, every team needs 'the guy'. Our most recent lesson in this being the 2015 Hawks.

Russell vs The Timberwolves, Kings and The Nets, small sample but for a 19/20 year old rookie, the kid showed us he can be a special player.
So of course, I disagree with you there, I think we do have 'a guy' with the potential to become 'the guy'

It would be interesting to see who has that mentality to become the lead man for the team.

I think Ingram will want that and will deliver.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

Russell is the guy to lead us forward among the young guys.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
deal wrote:
Don't think a team needs the same 1st option each night. They need to run plays but not be as obvious as every team know who you're going to.

Move the ball, take the best shot given, box out, rebound and defend.

It's a five man sport and there are no current superstar on the team.

Even with ball movement, you still need star players to win in this league. Those players not only make shots in crunch time, but also make plays. The Lakers will not be developing their new stars, Russell and (Ingram/Simmons) starting next season.

IF true, I'm not arguing here, the Lakers would need to go out and get a star as we have no established stars on the team today. We have a lot of kids that want to be stars, that's it.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I voted none though it would have been all of the above if that were available. I am not sure we will have a clear cut #1 option, I could see 3-4 players getting 15 or more shots most games.

Ditto to that...
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

"Alpha" has different connotations than leader. Of course each team has its leaders but this idea that the leader is an "alpha" ISO scorer is just an artifact of MJ and 90s basketball. Who was the #1 option in crunch time during the Show Time era? Kareem (depending on which part of the era). Who was unquestionably the leader? Magic. You don't need some "alpha" male to assert his dominance over the rest of the troops. It's unnecessary. You do need a leader, though, of course.

To be clear, no, I don't think Stockton was a number one option. Then again, Stockton couldn't penetrate at will.

I think Simmons is going to be a guy who can get to the rack at will. He's going to be a guy you can count on to always create a half-way decent look no matter the situation. That is what makes him a number one option. I don't have full confidence that D'Lo will be the kind of guy who can create good looks regardless of the match-up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: