If we were unbiased fans, would we think the officiating is fair overall?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: If we were unbiased fans, would we think the officiating is fair overall?

This message is probably on it's way to the Piss & Moan, but I'll try to keep it productive. Help me out, sodapopenski, and others who aren't too sensitive about talking about officiating.

If we weren't Laker fans, and not Kobe haters, but somewhere in the middle, how would we view the refs? Everyone says the calls balance out, but I just don't see it that way. Time and time again I see the refs contribute to our loss of momentum in games. I mean, I know we don't have an all-star team or anything, but jeez, we don't get any love. The few times the Lakers (or Kobe in particular) gets called simply fairly (I'm not even talking about giving unwarranted calls to Kobe, just fair calls), we win pretty easily, and Kobe usually gos on a tear. But so often, the same calls that are given to the opponent are not given to us...even Kobe! And then, on rare occasions, any touch on Kobe is a foul and he shoots 20 free throws. And don't blame it on him jacking up 3's or not driving enough. Sure, Kobe took a lot of threes today, but he also got fouled on several drives that weren't called. Can you say there was a Dallas player who drove several times and got fouled without a call. I can't.

And don't even get me started on any game reffed by Joey Crawford.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: If we were unbiased fans, would we think the officiating is fair overall?

superboy wrote:
This message is probably on it's way to the Piss & Moan, but I'll try to keep it productive. Help me out, sodapopenski, and others who aren't too sensitive about talking about officiating.

If we weren't Laker fans, and not Kobe haters, but somewhere in the middle, how would we view the refs? Everyone says the calls balance out, but I just don't see it that way. Time and time again I see the refs contribute to our loss of momentum in games. I mean, I know we don't have an all-star team or anything, but jeez, we don't get any love. The few times the Lakers (or Kobe in particular) gets called simply fairly (I'm not even talking about giving unwarranted calls to Kobe, just fair calls), we win pretty easily, and Kobe usually gos on a tear. But so often, the same calls that are given to the opponent are not given to us...even Kobe! And then, on rare occasions, any touch on Kobe is a foul and he shoots 20 free throws. And don't blame it on him jacking up 3's or not driving enough. Sure, Kobe took a lot of threes today, but he also got fouled on several drives that weren't called. Can you say there was a Dallas player who drove several times and got fouled without a call. I can't.

Has the officiating been bad at times?? Yes. Has it been responsible for more than 5 losses?? NO. The officiating isn't the biggest of the Lakers problems right now. It's actually not even in the top 10....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: If we were unbiased fans, would we think the officiating is fair overall?

Aussiesuede wrote:
superboy wrote:

Has the officiating been bad at times?? Yes. Has it been responsible for more than 5 losses?? NO. The officiating isn't the biggest of the Lakers problems right now. It's actually not even in the top 10....

Exactly. Lakers fans need to stop blaming the refs for the team's shortcomings. Watch any other games and you'll see poor officiating. Example Mo Pete gets ejected for slapping Vince Carter.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

It all evens out in the end. Some games we get calls that go our way and some games they go the other way but it all evens out like Stu says. It didn't help that we were arguing with them all game though. I think that might have hd some to do with it tonight.
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Hmmm...I kind of agree with you. However, I know people think our players suck in general, but in a couple of games, I've seen the calls in our favor (or just fair enough not to piss me off) and the team is playing as good basketball as any team in the league. So it makes me wonder. Like, if Chris Mihm would stop getting quick fouls all the time, I don't think it would be that rare to see him consistently get 20-10. Furthermore, if Kobe got the same calls that Lebron and Wade get (and any other superstar of his caliber in years past), I think he would drive to the hole a bit more, don't you? In the 62 point game, Dallas couldn't touch Kobe without getting called for a foul, and today, you they had to really blatantly hit Kobe before the whistle was blown. Look at the difference. That's what I see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Um... If I were a Mavs fan, I'd be laughing at how the refs screwed the Lakers with 2 flagrants early on to basically seal it (fortunately we fought back), and when we did they decided to slap us with a total of 3 techs.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

superboy wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm...I kind of agree with you. However, I know people think our players suck in general, but in a couple of games, I've seen the calls in our favor (or just fair enough not to piss me off) and the team is playing as good basketball as any team in the league. So it makes me wonder. Like, if Chris Mihm would stop getting quick fouls all the time, I don't think it would be that rare to see him consistently get 20-10. Furthermore, if Kobe got the same calls that Lebron and Wade get (and any other superstar of his caliber in years past), I think he would drive to the hole a bit more, don't you? In the 62 point game, Dallas couldn't touch Kobe without getting called for a foul, and today, you they had to really blatantly hit Kobe before the whistle was blown. Look at the difference. That's what I see.

I agree with what you're seeing. Kobe defintely doesn't get the calls that Lebron and Wade get, but that's just politics. Wafer doesn't get the calls Kobe get's. It's unfortunate, but Kobe isn't a league darling, so he doesn't get as many call as he could. Mihm has been one f the biggest victims of lopsided officiating in the league. It's deplorable, but thankfully it is getting a little better. Not good mind you, but better. And I'm glad Kobe isn't going to the hole any more. Yes he'd get more foul calls, but it's just too hazourdous and he knows he can't afford to be out with injury. Two years from now I'll be rooting for him to drive more, but not now. A Kobe injury not only gurantees lottery, but it stunts team development as well....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the whole "it evens out" stuff. I agree that you really can't blame the refs for the losses because smart players should be able to adjust to the way the game is called. BUT, I have to say that, most of the time, these refs just treat Kobe with a resentment. Here's my take on it...Kobe is such a sensitive, bipolar issue with everyone that the refs get all worked up in Laker games and try so hard not to make any obvious "star" treatment that they really make sure a foul is hard/obvious before they actually call it. Because you know that the media and other influential people will make a huge deal out of it if Kobe got a lot of preferential treatment like, say, Jordan did (or even Wade and Lebron). It's because so many people hate him with a such a passion, that if they see anything that unfairly goes Kobe's way, they will go absolutely berserk. But if the same thing happens to Wade or Lebron, it's no big deal and they'll just say "Ah, he's just getting the superstar treatment. They all get it." See, it's not so sensitive. And the hatred extends to the other Lakers by association.

Remember when that ref screwed up that Denver game against the Lakers a couple of years ago, and that ref was suspended for making a bad call in favor of the Lakers, and then some refs protested by wearing their shirts inside-out or something? Have you ever heard of a ref getting suspended since then? I haven't. So, basically, they're saying that screw-up was the worst screw-up in the last two years in the NBA. PLEASE! That was ONLY because it was the Lakers. If it was any other game, or if the call went in favor of Denver and they won, that ref would not have been suspended. But if it helps the Lakers, then it justifies all of the haters misconceptions that the Lakers get all the calls and Kobe gets all the calls, which can't be further from the truth. Are you telling me that you completely disagree with my psychoanalysis?
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I agree with what you're seeing. Kobe defintely doesn't get the calls that Lebron and Wade get, but that's just politics. Wafer doesn't get the calls Kobe get's. It's unfortunate, but Kobe isn't a league darling, so he doesn't get as many call as he could. Mihm has been one f the biggest victims of lopsided officiating in the league. It's deplorable, but thankfully it is getting a little better. Not good mind you, but better. And I'm glad Kobe isn't going to the hole any more. Yes he'd get more foul calls, but it's just too hazourdous and he knows he can't afford to be out with injury. Two years from now I'll be rooting for him to drive more, but not now. A Kobe injury not only gurantees lottery, but it stunts team development as well....

Cool. I knew even the purists can see it like I'm seeing it. The only thing I don't like about what you said is about Wafer not getting the calls Kobe gets. That's not an effective comparison, they're in completely different leagues. I think a more fair comparison are the other superstars in the NBA like Lebron and Wade. I'm with you in that I don't mind Kobe jacking up shots, especially with the inconsistency of the calls. Don't even get me started on Mihm, I don't know what he does to get this treatment. He's a mellow guy, he's not famous enough to love or hate, he doesn't seem to rub anyone the wrong way, yet he consistently gets screwed by the refs.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

superboy wrote:
Quote:

Cool. I knew even the purists can see it like I'm seeing it. The only thing I don't like about what you said is about Wafer not getting the calls Kobe gets. That's not an effective comparison, they're in completely different leagues. I think a more fair comparison are the other superstars in the NBA like Lebron and Wade. I'm with you in that I don't mind Kobe jacking up shots, especially with the inconsistency of the calls. Don't even get me started on Mihm, I don't know what he does to get this treatment. He's a mellow guy, he's not famous enough to love or hate, he doesn't seem to rub anyone the wrong way, yet he consistently gets screwed by the refs.

I don't see why refs differentiate any of it. If it's a foul, it's a foul. The star players just get contact better and get the calls because well, they're star players.
minervafilms
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

It's complete nonsense that Wade or LeBron get any more calls than Kobe. In fact, the consensus of the average, non-Laker fan is that Kobe gets more favorable calls than anyone else in the league (which is equally ridiculous).

He gets preferential treatment on the same level as any other superstar in the game. The fact that the calls are inconsistent - he's been bailed out numerous times, while on the other hand he's been fouled many times and no whistle has been called - is more a reflection of the poor state of refereeing in general, rather than any bias for or against him.

And, as a poster above notes, the idea that the refs are in any way to blame for any of these pathetic losses is wishful thinking.
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

superboy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't buy the whole "it evens out" stuff. I agree that you really can't blame the refs for the losses because smart players should be able to adjust to the way the game is called. BUT, I have to say that, most of the time, these refs just treat Kobe with a resentment. Here's my take on it...Kobe is such a sensitive, bipolar issue with everyone that the refs get all worked up in Laker games and try so hard not to make any obvious "star" treatment that they really make sure a foul is hard/obvious before they actually call it. Because you know that the media and other influential people will make a huge deal out of it if Kobe got a lot of preferential treatment like, say, Jordan did (or even Wade and Lebron). It's because so many people hate him with a such a passion, that if they see anything that unfairly goes Kobe's way, they will go absolutely berserk. But if the same thing happens to Wade or Lebron, it's no big deal and they'll just say "Ah, he's just getting the superstar treatment. They all get it." See, it's not so sensitive. And the hatred extends to the other Lakers by association.

Remember when that ref screwed up that Denver game against the Lakers a couple of years ago, and that ref was suspended for making a bad call in favor of the Lakers, and then some refs protested by wearing their shirts inside-out or something? Have you ever heard of a ref getting suspended since then? I haven't. So, basically, they're saying that screw-up was the worst screw-up in the last two years in the NBA. PLEASE! That was ONLY because it was the Lakers. If it was any other game, or if the call went in favor of Denver and they won, that ref would not have been suspended. But if it helps the Lakers, then it justifies all of the haters misconceptions that the Lakers get all the calls and Kobe gets all the calls, which can't be further from the truth. Are you telling me that you completely disagree with my psychoanalysis?

You bring up a lot of good points here, and I feel the same way about a lot of them. Good job!

Amen to that!
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

the officiating wasn't "fair", but it isn't because of the refs why the lakers lost. They just flat out stink is what the problem is.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Klassix wrote:
the officiating wasn't "fair", but it isn't because of the refs why the lakers lost. They just flat out stink is what the problem is.

Well if we weren't screwed with flagrants, techs, jersey grabbing, Devin-Harris-Pulling-Lamar-Out-Of-Bounds, George getting hit on hands, I think the Lakers would have played better rather than complain, and thus have more energy on the court.
Narigon
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:

I think they are playing about as well as their talent level, thanks Meeatch.

The ref thing is a crutch that has been played out so much that we can expect with every loss, a thread will be created.

The Showtime Lakers would just go out and get stops and baskets whenever they needed them most. They would simply take away the decisions of the refs by just controlling the game with their supreme balance. That lack of balance is why this current team has such a hard go of it. When KBB doesn't go off for 50+ then they will have a hard time winning, it's a catch-22 though because for him to get that 50, he has to take too many shots, so others don't get touches. Sometimes that's bad, but at other times, it's good.

Again, they are playing about as well as their talent level, a picture perfect inconsistent and what sucks, is that it shows up when it's not needed.
ThePunisher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject:

I don't like the way fouls are supposed to be called in the NBA, however I normally don't have a huge problem with the refs. However, tonight the Lakers got hosed.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject:

I only saw the first half of last night's game. I recorded it, went out to dinner, when I came back the Lakers were losing big with 30 seconds left and I decided to just delete the game and move on. (First time I've done that all season.) However, I like the thread.

I have often wondered the same thing. It's hard for me to step outside of myself and say how I would react to the Lakers treatment in games, especially as it relates to Kobe and Mihm. I can say that there was a Laker game a week or two ago where the free throw discrepancy was huge...in the Lakers favor. The reason I noticed was because on that night, Kobe was getting the calls he normally doesn't get (I think he shot 20 free throws in that game) and I said to my wife after the game, "Look at that free throw discepancy. That's crazy. No wonder we won." It was 40 something to 20 something in the Lakers favor.

Ultimately, championship teams can overcome bad, or biased officiating in most cases. Basketball is a tough sport to officiate. I almost think they need to make some fundamental change in how they call the games. Maybe like they do in the NFL, as soon as a foul is called the refs get together quickly and confer briefly with each other to make sure they are all in agreement. Just a thought.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry but last night's officiating was BEYOND terrible. Honestly, if I didn't know better (and I don't buy the whole consipiracy against the Lakers theories), I would have the thought the refs were intentionally trying to aid the Mavericks.

I can't get passed the camera view which was directly behind a referee, that showed Devin Harris with his arm wrapped around Odom to draw Lamar onto him - and this happens right in front of the referee's face. Yet he allows the other ref to call a foul on Odom, when he sees point blank that Harris was the one grabbing on Odom. There is no way on the planet the ref. didn't see that, so why didn't he say anything when the other ref called the foul on Lamar? He knew Lamar hadn't fouled Harris because he saw it. That's why you have 3 refs on the court, to ensure that the right calls are made. Or how about when Kobe drove the lane and you see his jersey being grabbed and pulled by two (2) Mavs, which slows Kobe down and literally gives Dampier time to get over to Kobe and block his shot. Or how about the anticipation fouls on Sasha, when it was obvious he got all ball on 2 steal attempts? Why is it that every foul one end of the court isn't a foul on the other end? Why is that defenders can ride Kobe's hip all the way up the court, but if one of our players touches the opponent's player up the court, they're whistled for a foul?

Something's rotten in Denmark and it's getting really frustrating. If it's a foul when Sasha does something to Devin Harris, then it's a foul when Devin Harris does the same dam thing to Kobe.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:

officiating has been fair...

Dampier grabs Kobe's jersey in front of refs...no call.

Kobe drives, Howard slaps him across the forearm...no call.

Sasha taps the ball from behind cleanly...foul called.

Smush swipes cleanly...foul called.

2 questionable flagrant fouls called against the Lakers. Kobe pushed while in mid-air, falls awkwardly...no flagrant called.

2nd year man Devin Harris wraps Odom with his right forearm...foul called on Odom.

It's been pretty fair.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."

Last edited by Drifts on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
jaberwock2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:

There's obvious bad calls, and there were some egregious examples last night.

Then there's the advantage on defense a team (usually the home team) has if the refs let them get away with more bumping, grabbing, and hacking than the other team. They get to play more aggressive defense. A big effect, but less obvious than the blatant no-calls.

No other sport that I've watched has such homer bias in the officiating.

The league really needs to just start over, but there's no will to do it.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

Narigon wrote:

The ref thing is a crutch that has been played out so much that we can expect with every loss, a thread will be created.

What a BS statement. A thread about officiating has NOT been made after every loss and fans have not been trying to use the officials as an excuse for our troubles. We've all acknowledged the weaknesses on our roster and after losses, it's usually the players or Mitch that get ripped to shreads, not the officials.

Geez, did you even watch the game last night?
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:

jaberwock2 wrote:
There's obvious bad calls, and there were some egregious examples last night.

Then there's the advantage on defense a team (usually the home team) has if the refs let them get away with more bumping, grabbing, and hacking than the other team. They get to play more aggressive defense. A big effect, but less obvious than the blatant no-calls.

No other sport that I've watched has such homer bias in the officiating.

In theory, that's true but it sure hasn't been that way this year - at least not for us.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:

superboy, I'm not elgible to get in on this subject because I was livid the whole game. That flagrant on Andrew where you could read the poor kids lips as he was asking "Was that a flagrant?"
I kept yelling HELL NO ANDREW! THE MF HAS LOST HIS DAMNED MIND! KEEP PLAYING HARD!
I was actually glad that Phil lost it at the end of the game and got all those delay of game calls. This is how stupid the refs were... Was that officiating action suppose to hurt us at that point? why did'nt they add some ejections. I wish Jax would have dropped his pants and mooned the (bleep)!
That was the dumbest display of dumbness that we've seen yet...

Thankyou...
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:

The NBA is purely reffed based on Reputation. As a result, it will never "even out".

Detroit is a good D team, so they will seldom get hosed by ticky-tack fouls.
Mihm is a fouling machine, so he gets called for breathing on a guy.
Tim Duncan is a stud, so if he misses, it was a foul, but he's so Fundamental that he won't foul on D.
AI is a warrior who gets beaten up so when he initiates contact, its a blocking foul.
Kobe just jacks up shots, so why bail him out?

These are systematic discrepancies that will never "even out"

As to honest to goodness ref errors, they propably do. But how can you tell? Say Smush gets b-slapped driving the lane but the ref doesn't call it. Did the ref not see it? Is it because Smush is a Rookie? Is it because it was a franchise player that did it? Was there less than 4 seconds on the clock? Was it the final play of the game? Was it a makeup call? Did Smush block him below the Knees (oh sorry, wrong sport)?

p.s. Was last nights crew the one that crewed either the "elbow" game or the one that most thought screwed up when they gave Kobe freethrows with the clock expired on a last second shot?
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
superboy, I'm not elgible to get in on this subject because I was livid the whole game. That flagrant on Andrew where you could read the poor kids lips as he was asking "Was that a flagrant?"
I kept yelling HELL NO ANDREW! THE MF HAS LOST HIS DAMNED MIND! KEEP PLAYING HARD!
I was actually glad that Phil lost it at the end of the game and got all those delay of game calls. This is how stupid the refs were... Was that officiating action suppose to hurt us at that point? why did'nt they add some ejections. I wish Jax would have dropped his pants and mooned the (bleep)!
That was the dumbest display of dumbness that we've seen yet...

Thankyou...

Tell me about it. I was actually stunned by alot of those calls and I, too, was glad about Phil's silent protest.

I wish WE'D tape the bad calls and send them to the league, only I'd do it by showing a similar "foul" that we got whistled for and then the exact same thing happening on our end with no whistle. Over and over and over again. Just to ask why the heck is it only a foul when it's on us, but not on our opponent? Obviously, Cuban's whining works and given our lack of talent, we need to push for the same freaking edge.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: