Kobe >>>>> Steph.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Some players are better in the regular season than playoffs.

Kershaw on the Dodgers, Lebron, now I'm adding Steph to the list. Should've realized it after last years finals
Reminds me of MVP Nash. His defense just isn't good enough

Nah, Steph played absolutely incredible during last years playoffs putting up almost 30ppg. Even in the finals he only had 2 off games and ended the series avg 27ppg. This years playoffs I'll give the benefit of hurting his MCL and then his elbow.

Steph isn't the first player asked to perform at a high level despite injury in the playoffs.
That is kinda what separates the playoff greats from the non-playoff greats.
At this point in the season, most players are playing through nagging injuries. Durability and finding multiple ways to affect basketball games is key to any all-time greats playoff resume.

Kobe won championships with a broken hand.
When he couldn't hit a shot in game 7 against Boston, he dominated the boards and played excellent defense.

That's the problem with only being elite at 1 thing.
Curry lead the league in steals in the season, now in the Playoffs. Westbrook is getting more SPG than him. When WB shoots bad from the field, no biggie. He can still dominate with boards and assists (something he lead all PGs in during the season).

Dude, he's not playing that poorly though. He's played 8 playoff games this year and is putting up 24.5ppg/5.5rpg/5.5apg/45%fg/38% 3pt.

Last year in the playoffs he had 28/6/5 and was 1st in win shares and BPM

You're flat out wrong for trying to lump in Curry with other stars that shrunk in the playoffs.

he is not to his MVP standard for sure when GS needs him to play at that level to beat the Thunder.
Russell Westbrook outplayed him by a mile.
the thing about Curry is, he can only impact the game by scoring, and if he doesn't do that, they have no chance

He's not playing to his usual standards but he is more banged up than anyone out there right now.

Also I disagree with you last point. Curry is a very good passer and rebounds very well for the PG position as well as reading passing lanes. He's not a 1 dimensional scorer.
FromMagicToKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
FromMagicToKobe wrote:
Whats crazy is Westbrook was playing even crazier in the 2nd half of last season. If KD doesn't get hurt does GSW even win the title last year???

Well, you could just as easily ask if Curry didn't get hurt in April, would OKC still be up 3-1?

The woulda-coulda-shouldas go both ways

Kobe won a title in 2010 and his knees were basically done. There's a million players who played hurt in the playoffs and won

if he can go out there and play theres no excuse. Plus, i thought it was the best TEAM ever?? I thought they were this advanced defensive team?? Curry is hurt so now they can't even play team D, they can't do anything right?

Dont even compare it to OKC. Last time I checked young KD and Westbrook beat Dallas, Lakers, and #1 seed SA in 2012. Now they're finally healthy and oh look??? They beat up the Spurs and are close to finishing off OKC. KD and Westbrook have actually beat squads in the playoffs, unlike GSW who got lucky last year and even avoided the Clippers again this year. OKC is the first healthy contender they've faced in the last 2 playoffs and you can see whats going down.
FromMagicToKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Kershaw on the Dodgers, Lebron, now I'm adding Steph to the list. Should've realized it after last years finals

Nah, Steph played absolutely incredible during last years playoffs putting up almost 30ppg. Even in the finals he only had 2 off games and ended the series avg 27ppg. This years playoffs I'll give the benefit of hurting his MCL and then his elbow.

Steph isn't the first player asked to perform at a high level despite injury in the playoffs.
At this point in the season, most players are playing through nagging injuries. Durability and finding multiple ways to affect basketball games is key to any all-time greats playoff resume.

When he couldn't hit a shot in game 7 against Boston, he dominated the boards and played excellent defense.

Curry lead the league in steals in the season, now in the Playoffs. Westbrook is getting more SPG than him. When WB shoots bad from the field, no biggie. He can still dominate with boards and assists (something he lead all PGs in during the season).

Dude, he's not playing that poorly though. He's played 8 playoff games this year and is putting up 24.5ppg/5.5rpg/5.5apg/45%fg/38% 3pt.

You're flat out wrong for trying to lump in Curry with other stars that shrunk in the playoffs.

he is not to his MVP standard for sure when GS needs him to play at that level to beat the Thunder.
the thing about Curry is, he can only impact the game by scoring, and if he doesn't do that, they have no chance

He's not playing to his usual standards but he is more banged up than anyone out there right now.

Also I disagree with you last point. Curry is a very good passer and rebounds very well for the PG position as well as reading passing lanes. He's not a 1 dimensional scorer.

Yeah and Westbrook averaged 10 dimes and 8 boards and game. So Curry might be "very good" and "very well" but Russell is better than him at doing both. Curry is just the best pure shooter, and has been on an unbelievable hot streak the last few years. Thats it
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

Can't believe NBA 2k gave Curry a 95 defensive rating. That's some serious pole smoking.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

Steph is the best shooter I have ever seen, I read he is at 70% at best, that plays a part, but you can take a shooter out of a game you cant take length and athletiscm out.

OKC is killing them with their length and Russ's crazy athletiscm
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

FromMagicToKobe wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yeah and Westbrook averaged 10 dimes and 8 boards and game. So Curry might be "very good" and "very well" but Russell is better than him at doing both. Curry is just the best pure shooter, and has been on an unbelievable hot streak the last few years. Thats it

I never said he's better than RW at those things but to say Curry is only a shooter that's been on a hot streak is the most ridiculous bull (bleep) Ive heard about a player. Curry does more than just shoot incredibly. Stop hating on the man. Yes, he's not Kobe who I believe is the GOAT but that doesn't mean Curry isn't a great overall player.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

He's average to above average in most of the other categories, but he's an elite shooter... on a historical winning team that came off a championship. This blinds a lot of people to his overall game. Happens every time. I remember when people were proclaiming Wade as possibly the best SG of all time following the 2006 season.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

Curry's not a Korver or Novak... more along the lines of Super-Bibby.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

Would love to see the lg's threads about kobe after the 2004 finals
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:

FromMagicToKobe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
FromMagicToKobe wrote:
Whats crazy is Westbrook was playing even crazier in the 2nd half of last season. If KD doesn't get hurt does GSW even win the title last year???

Well, you could just as easily ask if Curry didn't get hurt in April, would OKC still be up 3-1?

The woulda-coulda-shouldas go both ways

Kobe won a title in 2010 and his knees were basically done. There's a million players who played hurt in the playoffs and won

I'm fine with the attitude that injuries are part of the game -- but then don't minimize the Warriors accomplishments last year because their opponents were injured.

You can't have it both ways.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:

I was there. To be honest it was full on conspiracy/NBA agenda/ref scandal post.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Kobe was Mr. Conference Finals. They should rename it after him.

Time to take LG back. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a different board trolling.

Yep, because the heavy lifting was done in the WCF during the 3 peat days. Shaq rang up those Finals MVP's beating up on patsys.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:

If I were older and on LG in 2004 (I was 6 then), I couldn't imagine the ramifications with Shaq and Phil gone, along with a disasterous NBA Finals. It'd be the chaos of last off season, multiplied by 1000
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

I was there. To be honest it was full on conspiracy/NBA agenda/ref scandal post.

Hey, on LG Kobe never fails and never plays poorly -- success is always stolen from him by powerful, jealous forces operated behind the scenes
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
If I were older and on LG in 2004 (I was 6 then), I couldn't imagine the ramifications with Shaq and Phil gone, along with a disasterous NBA Finals. It'd be the chaos of last off season, multiplied by 1000

People were glad to see Phil go at that time. They wanted Shaq gone too, but weren't happy with what we were getting back.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

People were glad to see Phil go at that time. They wanted Shaq gone too, but weren't happy with what we were getting back.

I scrolled through the archives of LG and I saw tons of people hating on Lamar and looking at trade ideas every other week Were there some people who wanted Kobe gone rather than Shaq?
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I scrolled through the archives of LG and I saw tons of people hating on Lamar and looking at trade ideas every other week Were there some people who wanted Kobe gone rather than Shaq?

I came in 05 but, the board at times, I thought, was still divided between Shaq and Kobe fans. Alot of people here were still bitter that Kobe "drove Shaq away". It went away after that MLK game in 06.

Last edited by frijolero01 on Wed May 25, 2016 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Man the Lamar hate was supremely high. I think it topped the Fisher hate by several hairs. Lamar broken record post were about his passiveness, and the Fisher hate was his inability to finish layups but persistence to continue driving the lane and heaving up terrible layups trying to take over games.

There was a good % that wanted Shaq over Kobe, but those are probably the same ones that have always been rooted on Bigs over Guards.

Most of the board was unanimous in being tired of Shaq's work ethics though and talk off the courts.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

it was a terrible trade in 04/05 but, the lakers had no choice.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Hey, on LG Kobe never fails and never plays poorly -- success is always stolen from him by powerful, jealous forces operated behind the scenes

Let's see if I can recall:

Narrative;

-2004, Larry Brown to coach USA Men's Basketball Olympic team. Can't send a coach without a Championship ring over, so the Pistons would have to win that season.

-To add to the above, the coach would be a coach that emphasized team play vs. dominant superstars to show the world we can play team ball.

-Evidence provided throughout the series: The jumpball violations awarding Pistons the opening tip every game of the series.

-The touch fouls Glove would get on Chauncey. You couldn't breathe on the guy.

-The mauling job the Pistons were allowed to get away with on Kobe and Shaq. Prince was basically in Kobe's shorts.

Humor aside... Larry Brown went on to win the BRONZE medal that year, with Lebron's first showing in the Olympics, henceforth the LeBronze nickname.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

MAN! Where is Postnpivot, dude was glowing with that tinfoil hat. Miss that guy.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
MAN! Where is Postnpivot, dude was glowing with that tinfoil hat. Miss that guy.

Pnp was a blabbering bigot and LG is better without him.

!...
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

Pnp was a blabbering bigot and LG is better without him.

His post about playing dudes at the Rec center were awesome.

Last edited by Worthy42 on Wed May 25, 2016 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

I like how the OP didn't mention the 04' finals.

Kobe: 22.6pts/2.8rbs/4.4ast

On 38.1% shooting and 17.4% from 3.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
I like how the OP didn't mention the 04' finals.

Kobe: 22.6pts/2.8rbs/4.4ast

On 38.1% shooting and 17.4% from 3.

He was pretty bad in those Finals. Shockingly, it did not serve as a referendum on his career. Great players lose.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 9 of 26
Jump to: