Does GSW collapse affect your confidence in Luke?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does GSW collapse affect your confidence in Luke?
Yes
10%
 10%  [ 22 ]
No
86%
 86%  [ 176 ]
I knew this was going to happen :/ ... We are cursed
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 203

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
I still see the Warriors offense generating good shots, guys just aren't hitting shots that they have been for the last 2 seasons.

Yep, best example was during the 3rd quarter when GSW could have come back. Kerr called a great play, and Harrison Barnes bricked a wide open corner 3. You can't cure mental midget syndrome with good offensive sets.
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
I think it is pretty much the best thing that could have happened. now he can see the flaws and problems as well and has all summer to think about it. What better experience can he get?

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

D'Alphalo wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
I still see the Warriors offense generating good shots, guys just aren't hitting shots that they have been for the last 2 seasons.

Yep, best example was during the 3rd quarter when GSW could have come back. Kerr called a great play, and Harrison Barnes bricked a wide open corner 3. You can't cure mental midget syndrome with good offensive sets.

That's a good point. It's the one thing working against GS.
GS relies on their role players to hit shots and make plays moreso than OKC. And on the surface level that makes sense. That's how GS's stars can maintain high levels of efficiency (normally).

But giving guys like Westbrook and Durant all the ball they want for all 4 quarters means, they will probably have a better rhythm taking important shots as opposed to the role players of GS (like Barnes, Igoudala). Those role players don't know if the defense will force them to make big shots/plays at crucial points in the game before the play starts. It's all read and react. And that won't always measure up to the opponent when they have elite half court players like WB and KD getting all the opportunity in the world to get a rhythm and make plays/shots.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject:

When Luke was hired, he was an assistant coach on a team that won the title last year.

If GSW gets kicked from the playoffs by OKC, Luke will still be an assistant coach on a team that won the title last year.

The difference, though, will be that he will have had the first-hand experience at watching a very good college coach turned rookie NBA coach dissect weaknesses in his most-recently used schemes and strategies and exploit them with a combination of 2 all-world talents and flat-out smart positioning, technique, hustle, and really long arms and quick hands by the other 3 guys on the floor.

Sometimes there can be no greater teacher than a guy who just kicked your butt while you gave your best stuff, because that can force you to come up with more stuff and better gadgets to put on the utility belt.

If this make Luke even hungrier to prove himself next year, then good for us.

If it motivates him to improve the plans and schemes and systems he brings to us, even better.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:
bizarre question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

oh lawedt
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

NO

I'm not a Luke believer anyways, anyone could Coach GS with Steph on the team

Also he is not the head coach why would GS getting rocked by OKC = Luke coaching ability?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

They haven't even lost yet.

And they won 73 games and the ring last year.

What a non-story.
QuadDouble
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

GS looks like they're running on fumes. klay looks like the best 2 guard in the league.... and the other guys don't have the legs to hit the 3's they normally do. hardly a coaching referendum.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

not at all
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

It makes me question Steve Kerr. Kerr's the guy in charge. Luke can suggest things, but ultimately it's up to Steve.

I don't think Steve has done a very good job this year despite GSW winning 73 games. I watched probably 70% of the Warrior games this season and even when they were winning, they would have stretches of turning the ball over and dumb plays and Kerr just didn't really seem to react. He'd always let them play thru it. He never got them completely under control playing focused basketball.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
I think it is pretty clear that "small ball" has some flaws which have been exposed by OKC in this series.

That you guys think OKC is this throwback team from the 90s is amusing beyond belief. I have a secret for you: OKC is playing small ball.

OKC is winning because they're NOT playing small ball. They are forcing the Warriors to match up to them which is why they are winning handily.

It's just factually not accurate.

Let's just look at last night. Here was their minutes distribution, from most minutes to least:

Durant - 40:38
Westbrook - 40:30
Roberson - 40:26
Ibaka - 32:46
Waiters - 32:12
Adams - 24:41
Foye - 13:32
Kanter - 8:33
Payne - 1:58
Singler - 1:58
Morrow - 1:23
Mohammad - 1:23
Collison - DNP

Traditional bigs in bold.

OKC's small ball still is much bigger than GSs small ball lineup.
Durant at the 4 is taller/longer than Draymond at the 5. That's why GS is getting murdered on 2nd chance points and points in the paint. Like girls say, size matters.

Of course, if you can have long freak athletes running any system it helps. But the way OKC is playing is not an indictment on small ball. They're doing the same thing.

Small ball isn't playing big guys that shoot outside. Small ball is playing guys that are physically small.

GSW plays small ball when they have Green playing Center.

OKC never plays small ball. They always have a length and height advantage on just about every team they play. You got a 7'0 SF, and a 7'0 C, and a 6'10 PF and another 6'6 guard, and then Westbrook who is 6'3 but plays bigger than that.

That is NOT a small team at all.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

no,not worried at all. i'm actually happy because now luke will be there next week to check out ingram and simmons
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
It makes me question Steve Kerr. Kerr's the guy in charge. Luke can suggest things, but ultimately it's up to Steve.

I don't think Steve has done a very good job this year despite GSW winning 73 games. I watched probably 70% of the Warrior games this season and even when they were winning, they would have stretches of turning the ball over and dumb plays and Kerr just didn't really seem to react. He'd always let them play thru it. He never got them completely under control playing focused basketball.

Success has gone to some of those players (cough cough Draymond) heads. Nothing he can do if they want to behave like idiots.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
I think it is pretty clear that "small ball" has some flaws which have been exposed by OKC in this series.

That you guys think OKC is this throwback team from the 90s is amusing beyond belief. I have a secret for you: OKC is playing small ball.

OKC is winning because they're NOT playing small ball. They are forcing the Warriors to match up to them which is why they are winning handily.

Let's just look at last night. Here was their minutes distribution, from most minutes to least:

Collison - DNP

Durant at the 4 is taller/longer than Draymond at the 5. That's why GS is getting murdered on 2nd chance points and points in the paint. Like girls say, size matters.

Of course, if you can have long freak athletes running any system it helps. But the way OKC is playing is not an indictment on small ball. They're doing the same thing.

Small ball isn't playing big guys that shoot outside. Small ball is playing guys that are physically small.

OKC never plays small ball. They always have a length and height advantage on just about every team they play. You got a 7'0 SF, and a 7'0 C, and a 6'10 PF and another 6'6 guard, and then Westbrook who is 6'3 but plays bigger than that.

I don't think I'll get much traction in a conversation with you about this because I don't think you have a baseline understanding of what the term "small ball" means. You're hung up on height, and if you think this series is a contrast of styles you're just not correct. Go into any league office or discuss this in any league circle, tell them that OKC never goes small and you'll get laughed out of the room.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

LUKE >> KERR
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Collison - DNP

I don't think I'll get much traction in a conversation with you about this because I don't think you have a baseline understanding of what the term "small ball" means. You're hung up on height, and if you think this series is a contrast of styles you're just not correct. Go into any league office or discuss this in any league circle, tell them that OKC never goes small and you'll get laughed out of the room.

What would be a non-small ball with OKC lineup?
Durant at 3?
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Collison - DNP

So who made you the "Small Ball" Policeman around here???

I guess you are right, I could have sworn I saw this lineup on the floor for OKC last night...

PF - Roberson
F - Waiters
C - Durant
G - Foye
PG - Westbrook
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I think both of you guys are right and wrong haha.

Small ball means two different things.

It means rolling out a traditionally undersized unit, such as Green at center.

But it also means playing more of a finesse game, than a body banging, physical style of play.

Dirk for instance, plays small ball style. But he is not small.

Julius Randle plays bully ball style, but he is small.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LUKE >> KERR
fact based statement. Funny how gsw has been a little less dominant since Luke got lakers job. Less Luke for gsw means glorified 8 seed
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
pio2u wrote:
LUKE >> KERR
fact based statement. Funny how gsw has been a little less dominant since Luke got lakers job. Less Luke for gsw means glorified 8 seed

YO

Is luke the new Phil is he that good of a Coach
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Give OKC some credit. They are a physically superior team with two superstar players.

Their max potential is higher than Golden State's due to physical differences alone.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_ball_(basketball)

Small ball (basketball)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In basketball, small ball is a style of play used by a team that sacrifices height, physical strength and low post offense/defense in favor of a lineup of smaller players for speed, agility and increased scoring (often from the three-point line). Some teams employ a non-center dominated style of play. Teams often move a physically dominant player who would typically play the small forward position into the power forward position. Examples of players who have been used in this role include Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, and LeBron James. A small forward who can play as a power forward may be known as a "hybrid forward", cornerman or tweener. That individual would play alongside either a traditional power forward (shifted into the center position), or alongside a center. The vacant small forward position would then be filled with a swingman, a slasher small forward or shooting guard or a three-point specialist.
The advantage of using small ball is that the power forward position is occupied by a faster, more agile player who can outrun and outmaneuver the opposing power forward. In many cases the player may have a better three-point shooting percentage than a traditional power forward, which (as well as increasing points from three-point plays) can help spread the opposition defense. The opposing defender will come out to mark the player on the perimeter of the three point line, allowing space for teammates to run in and score around the basket. A player occupying this position, with a high three-point shot success percentage, is coined a "stretch 4". When utilized by the Miami Heat, Erik Spoelstra called this style of play "Pace and Space".
While the style of play does have advantages, there are several disadvantages. The addition of speed and agility comes at the cost of strength and height. The lack of "big men" can make it more difficult to guard the space under the basket while on defense; it can also prevent the team from having a low-post offensive threat when attacking. Rebounding is often sacrificed; for example, in the 2012–13 season, the Miami Heat, playing small ball, had the most wins during the season of any team in either conference, but were the worst team in either conference, by a wide margin, in total rebounds. The Golden State Warriors in 2014–15 used small ball to a greater extent in the NBA Finals than any prior champion, swapping out big man Andrew Bogut from the starting lineup for Andre Iguodala, who would eventually be named the Finals MVP.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

GS is a great team, but the struggles of Curry and Thompson is showing how much of GS's greatness has been dependent upon their jump shooting. Now that the jumpers in this seven seconds or less offense have been clanks, it's coming back to bite them in a vicious way because it's jump-starting OKC's transition offense.

There has to be a fine line between playing fast and playing smart. Teams in this new era of offense have to be able to recognize when to slow the game down. If you're just running and jacking up a bunch of long range shots at a fast pace, it becomes self destructive if those shots aren't falling because the other team can take advantage of it by getting out in transition. And that's where playing small hurts you more than it helps you. If you're taking a ton of quick shots, namely threes, and the opposing team has traditional bigs (size wise anyway) they'll probably secure most of those rebounds and their guards are ready to strike in transition. You're giving up a ton of easy points when you do that.
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Nothing Luke is doing in GS persuades my opinion of him as a coach...positive or negative. This hire is a crap shoot. All I know is that BS is no longer the coach so I have no complaints.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Live by the three, die by the three.
Kerr is getting badly exposed by Billy Donovan.

OKC is completely dissecting that screen and roll that GS has used to net that 73 wins record breaking season.

I'm confident Luke will adjust awhole lot for this current Lakers squad. An I'm also positively sure there will be Laker fans who are gonna Blast Luke to shreds for when the going gets tough.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15
Jump to: