Heather Cox expected to leave ESPN after nearly 22 years

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Heather Cox expected to leave ESPN after nearly 22 years

http://thebiglead.com/2016/05/25/heather-cox-expected-to-leave-espn-after-nearly-22-years/

Quote:
Heather Cox Expected to Leave ESPN After Nearly 22 Years

Heather Cox, who joined ESPN in 1994, is expected to leave the network for NBC, The Big Lead has learned. Cox declined to comment for this story; it is not finalized yet, but we have heard that it is headed that way.

Cox has most recently done sideline reporting on ESPN’s college football, NBA, WNBA, and men’s and women’s college basketball coverage. ESPN has already announced that Sam Ponder will be resuming responsibilities as a sideline reporter this college football season, and will be on the Saturday night ABC telecast.

At NBC, one of Cox’s major roles would likely be as sideline reporter on the Thursday Night Football package, which will feature fellow ESPN ex-pat Mike Tirico on play-by-play. NBC has needed to fill the role since February, when their involvement in the NFL’s Thursday package was announced, and Richard Deitsch reported that Michele Tafoya would only be doing Sunday nights. Many of Cox’s recent follows on Twitter are NFL reporters, figureheads, or publicists. One of Cox’s agents is Sandy Montag, who also reps Tirico. An NBC spokesperson declined to comment.

NBC’s other sports properties include the Olympics, Notre Dame football, the British Open, and the Triple Crown. It’s not been made clear to us at this time whether or how Cox would fit into these broadcasts.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

ESPN greatly overpaying for their TV agreements with the big sports is causing a huge brain and talent drain. Serves them right.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

While I liked her, I have to wonder whether ESPN is finally getting it right, in terms of a sideline reporter pay, or even booth commentator pay.

What's the test? In entertainment, I guess it comes down to whether any of these folks compel you to watch a game that you otherwise skip, or keep you focused on the game so that you watch the commercials. If that's the case, none of them are worth much in terms of salary as I don't see it influencing viewing behavior. On that note, there are probably some of us who turn the sound down as the commentators irritate the hell out of us, which of course means that we're even less apt to view a series of commercials. I don't think there's enough of us volume adjusters out there to make a difference, hence the ESPN pay guidelines might have been too high to begin with.

And yes, without a doubt ESPN spent too much for the broadcast rights. Though I doubt the commentator salaries were all that material compared to the broadcast rights, ESPN could probably save money rotating out the older former players (and commentators) in favor of younger talent on a periodic basis.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

People don't watch ESPN because of the commentators, they watch because they have the rights to specific events. They will do fine even if there is a lot of turnover from the people that have been with the company for ages.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

We still watch basketball games that are commentated by Reggie Miller, so clearly it doesn't matter who is talking or what they are saying.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

These commentators want to be celebrities lol.

"Heather Cox isn't on this game..? F THIS IM CHANGING THE CHANNEL"

Not.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I must say that the TNT post game crew keeps me watching while other channels including the Lakers TWC post game show bores me away.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
These commentators want to be celebrities lol.

"Heather Cox isn't on this game..? F THIS IM CHANGING THE CHANNEL"

lmao
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ESPN greatly overpaying for their TV agreements with the big sports is causing a huge brain and talent drain. Serves them right.

What? Heather Cox is part of a brain and talent drain? I doubt that very many sports fans could even tell you who she is. I couldn't.

People have been leaving ESPN on a steady basis for decades. At one time or another, just about everyone in the sports business worked for ESPN. Periodically, ESPN trims the hedges and brings in some new blood. ESPN knows that the programming rights are far more important than the pundits and announcers.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Get rid of all the old hags like Tafoya and Salters. Bring in some hot young talent. 90% of the time I dont care what the sideline reporter is talking about especially the post quarter interview with the coach but if they insist on doing that then have a hottie do the reporting.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I must say that the TNT post game crew keeps me watching while other channels including the Lakers TWC post game show bores me away.

IMO, the gold standard is Inside the NBA, NBA Coast to Coast, and BBTN.
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
People don't watch ESPN because of the commentators, they watch because they have the rights to specific events. They will do fine even if there is a lot of turnover from the people that have been with the company for ages.

Yeah, for the most part I believe this is true, but I think I'd watch anything on any channel with Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, and Mike Breen as commentators. Like if a local channel was showing a game and ESPN were also airing the same game, and none of the channels were blacked out due to the simultaneous telecast, I would totally choose the channel where those three are on. Great chemistry that trio.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: